Awoo.

New Attempt: How about a Sonic Classics Remake Fan-Game?

RDNexus

I've just seen on youtube "Sonic The Hedgehog 2D" and how great it's going. And so I thought to myself...

A few years ago I tried to incite an intent on revamping the classic saga into a single game full of the best of Sonic 1/CD/2/3K, giving it at the same a storyline that could make a connection with SA1&2, like Eggman refering his grandfather and Project Shadow and also finding the Mystic Forest's Fuins at the end of the story...

Characters like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Mecha Sonic mkII, and etc... all of them in a single story mostly around Death Egg and Angel Island's Arcs, putting Green Hill as the first level as an homage, and Doomsday as the great final battle.

The system could be the one similar to STH2D, as Sonic 4's may seem a bit tough to use for now xD, it could have cutscenes like the ones in the fan-game Sonic Rebirth, and so on...

If interest arises, I might share some of the ideas I have for the project, but I'll warn right now, I know nothing about programming, the best I could do would be giving out the ideas I have and someone else could make use of it and try to create a fan-game truly memorable.

So, what do you guys say of this?

Edited by XRick

I've already played the classics. If I wanted to play them again, I already can. I'd rather efforts go into making a new game.

• Thumbs Up 1

With all the re-releases, and "back to his roots" stuff we've been getting lately, I'm almost sick of the classics. They were good games, and I'd be lying if I said this idea doesn't sound interesting to me, but instead of leaving the evolution of the series at a standstill, I'd like to see something new and fresh thrown at us.

I understand your preference in a new game, but the thing of trying to revamp the original stories in a single one wouldn't be by itself an interesting thing?

Yes, it's not fresh meat, but it might be enough to make a hold until Sonic 4 Ep1 came out.

Come on people, let's dream just a little with this idea of mine...

Edited by XRick

I understand your preference in a new game, but the thing of trying to revamp the original stories in a single one wouldn't be by itself an interesting thing?
So write a fanfic, or get Flash and animate it, or something. If the story is what's valuable, find a medium that plays to it.

Come on people, let's dream just a little with this idea of mine...
We've all heard the "hey how about remakes!" idea a dozen times over. Pretty much everything that could be said, has been said.

So write a fanfic, or get Flash and animate it, or something. If the story is what's valuable, find a medium that plays to it.

We've all heard the "hey how about remakes!" idea a dozen times over. Pretty much everything that could be said, has been said.

First, I know nothing about those stuff like flash and etc. And a Fanfic... Sorry, I'm already busy writing an original story of mine, a long one, unrelated to Sonic.

Besides, I'm portuguese, if I were to write that fanfic I'd do it in my language.

And about those ideas you say many have talked about before... Do you know where can I check them? There might be some pearl hidden among those fallen ideas.

Edited by XRick

So... There really is noone interested in this? :(

Man, why do people stick themselves so much to the classics and don't even think about innovating the old for new generations?

Because people who want to play the old games will play the old games and there's very little to 'innovate' in the old games, especially if the only goal is to put some make-up on the "it's in the manual somewhere" plot of the old games.

It's an alright idea and all but hardly any essential remake ground because there's very little actual need for them to be remade.

Edited by Flint

Indeed. If you want to innovate, then do something actually new. If you want to stick to the classics, you already have the classics.

By the way, I would suggest that you either learn to program or use a game-making software that doesn't require programming knowledge. If you really want to make this game, then you should make it yourself. I don't think many people are interested in making someone else's game (at least not unless they're paid).

Well, many other old games (taking Phantasy Star Generation Games as example) also didn't seem to have the need fo a remake and in the end they came out even better than before (on my opinion)...

Besides, for a few times I remember seeing people here asking for remakes of the Adventure Games. Then why can't they also take a look into the Classics, trying to make connect more with the Adventures?

Edited by XRick

Besides, for a few times I remember seeing people here asking for remakes of the Adventure Games. Then why can't they also take a look into the Classics, trying to make connect more with the Adventures?

The Adventure games have more technical issues, more dated graphics and, up until the recent announcement of Sonic Adventure hitting the PSN store (and the Xbox equivalent?), more limited availability. Remaking them would be about getting them up to the top of the technical game again. The old games have no such needs.

I've just seen on youtube "Sonic The Hedgehog 2D" and how great it's going. And so I thought to myself...

A few years ago I tried to incite an intent on revamping the classic saga into a single game full of the best of Sonic 1/CD/2/3K, giving it at the same a storyline that could make a connection with SA1&2, like Eggman refering his grandfather and Project Shadow nad also finding the Mystic Forest's Fuins at the end of the story...

Characters like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Mecha Sonic mkII, and etc... all of them in a single story mostly around Death Egg and Angel Island's Arcs, putting Green Hill as the first level as an homage, and Doomsday as the great final battle.

The system could be the one similar to STH2D, as Sonic 4's may seem a bit tough to use for now xD, it could have cutscenes like the ones in the fan-game Sonic Rebirth, and so on...

If interest arises, I might share some of the ideas I have for the project, but I'll warn right now, I know nothing about programming, the best I could do would be giving out the ideas I have and someone else could make use of it and try to create a fan-game truly memorable.

So, what do you guys say of this?

Sorry if I'm sounding like an *** but there are some big problems with your request, maybe I'm wrong and I am just telling this because I'm bitter, I'm not going to stop you from trying, but I don't think this going to go anywhere...

First, this is not really a forum of fangamers (or hackers), you should try to go to places like SFGHQ (I actually don't know if this site it still alive, it has been ages since the last time I went there, but since SAGE is coming soon I guess they are) or Retro, where people wich such knowledge are more available but....

Even if you manage to find such people your posts makes you sound like you have a good idea, but you don't know anything about the hard work and time that requires for such idea to come to life, not to mention you are technically telling people to "make a game for just for you (and whoever agrees with you)" and people don't like to be ordered around, even less considering that the only thing you have to give to the project it's the idea, I know a lot of people had this idea in his mind at least once, but if you don't do anything useful (and by usefult I mean some sprites, tiles, models, code) to "make it happen" I highly doubt people are going to take you seriously.

Sorry, but unless you get some skills your project is (probably) going nowhere and if you try to bring "your idea" to other sites (like the ones I mentioned) you are probably going to be treated even worse than what I just did, because that people know about the hardships behind such project, and watching you making such a request so lightly may be seem as offensive to some people... again, sorry, I wish you good luck and hopefully you manage to prove me wrong in this. ;)

Edited by gato

I see... I get what you mean, and it usually goes like that for my ideas.

But I also stated that my ideas were open for anyone who might want use them on their own, it's not like I'm trying to make a team to make a game on my behalf, since I know nothing of game creation of course I can't impose myself on anyone, it's just in case anyone wants to get some ideas to make a game on their own.

Of course I would enjoy see how that kind of game would go far or not.

If you wanted to make a fangame (I actually thought we were talking about official remake at first, goes to show how blind I am with opening posts), you run into a whole new pithole: legal rights. Most fangames are alright with all that and Sega has shown leniency with people's fan visions regarding their characters, but if you were to remake the old games you might start having cease & desist letters drop through your inbox - after all, they still make money from those old games as they are and a free, possibly improved version of those games would be rather dodgy to them.

Yeah, but since those "Guys" don't get this kind of ideas, someone should, don't you think?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wishes to see a revamp of the Classics in a new story that connects with the majority of the saga and evolves the original stories...

It's not a question of who gets the idea in their heads. If you begin to closely approach something that they still sell on the market, you're stepping on a dodgy area.

I know that...

But, if with the Phantasy Star Generation Games, the situation is as everyone sees, then with a Sonic Classics Revamping Remake they would never even take a look at the idea...

More power to you if you want to try this, but it might be more reasonable just to combine the Death Egg saga and not bother with Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. Neither of those games are directly connected to the others by plot, after all, and without Sonic CD you wouldn't need to worry about the time-travel mechanics.

I've seen more than a few fan updates of classic games get excruciatingly close to completion, only to be blindsided by cease and desist orders at the last second. I don't think I'd want to run the risk of getting involved with a project like this even if I had the skills, with so much work involved and such a huge chance of catastrophic failure.

About Sonic 1 & CD, the story could only have Green Hill and a boss right after it and later a race battle inside the Death Egg between Sonic and Metal Sonic, making the "Amy's Rescue" event occur in it, also as a way of having her in the story in a more active way...

Also, I'm not imposing on anyone, just giving statements of the why I think this idea should go ahead, it's only up to any of you if you guys want to make use of it and try your luck.

• 2 months later...

Not wanting to enrage any of those who went through this topic a few time ago, but I'll just leave some of the minor ideas I had for the "Fan-Remake" that may or may not see the light of day someday...

Here goes:

The story would be divided in 2 episodes, on the good likes of Sonic4:

|Ep1: Sonic&Tails|

Green Hill (Sonic1 Homage)

- Drill Core (A huge drill with defense systems located in a place akin to Scrap Brain)

Neon Square (Nighttime city level on the likes of city escape and radical highway, located in Central City; Amy would be presented and kidnapped at the end of the level)

- Eggmobile [Missile-Armed]

Western Ruins (Aquatic Ruins, Sonic2)

- Giant Fists (A great mech head with 2 thin arms with BIG gloved hands)

E.G.G. Metropolis (Metropolis, Sonic2)

- Metal Sonic (A great race for Amy's rescue, with Eggman's battleship taking-off in the background)

Sky Pursuit (Sky Chase, Sonic2)

E.G.G. Battleship (Wing Fortress, Sonic2)

- Egg Giant (Sonic2 Final Boss)

Extra: Westside Hill (Tails' Exclusive; Emerald Hill, Sonic2)

- Egg Driller (Emerald Hill's Boss)

|Ep2: Sonic&Knuckles|

Angel Coast (Angel Island, Sonic3&K)

- Fire Breather (Angel Island's Boss)

Ancient Ruins (Marble Garden, Sonic3&K)

- Twin Digger (Marble Garden's Boss)

Emerald Shrine (Sky Sanctuary Included)

- Knuckles (At the start of the level, before the Master Emerald being stolen)

E.G.G. Base (Launch Base, Sonic3&K)

- Red Eye (S3K Death Egg's Boss)

Death Egg

- Mecha Eggman (Enhanced Eggrobo)

Doomsday

- Egg Bomber (S3K Final Boss)

Extra: Hidden Palace (Knuckles' Exclusive)

- Metal Knuckles

For now, there's nothing else for me to say here, this is most of the gist I had for all of you...

Thanks for your time here.

Edited by XRick

Sorry if this is blunt, but either you add some new material to the gameplay and actually flesh out the story of the Classics or don't even bother remaking it at all. Period.

I'll be one of the few to say that there is more you could do with the Classic formula, even with S3&K expanding what the previous titles before it did. But honestly, almost all this talk on remaking the Classics in any shape is making me want to piss on the term "Classic Sonic" for it's overuse in a good number of debates and proposals.

If you're going to adapt the Classic formula to something new, I'm up for it. If you going to add something new and decent to the Classic formula, I'll support it if I like it. But if you're going to remake something that is classic, add something innovative or fresh and worthwhile or don't bother. Plain and simple.

Like I said before, I'm not intending on doing said remake, I'm just leaving the idea for whoever may have what it takes to make good use of them...

If you say it like that, then do you have any ideas as well that could make it fresh or the likes?

Besides, when Sonic Rebirth was released, everyone enjoyed it, especially because it had the 16-bit versions of the GG/SMS levels of Sonic1...

Why can't someone have an idea like this one? I seriously don't get it...

Edited by XRick

If you say it like that, then do you have any ideas as well that could make it fresh or the likes?

More characters. *shot*

But really, I'd say expanding the shield abilities to other element and a few moves from the Advance titles wouldn't hurt. Of course that would exactly be new or fresh.

It'll take a lot of brainstorming to freshen the formula, but I wouldn't go back to Sonic 1-3&K in order to do so.

All of that could be interesting...

About characters, there could be some extra addictions, like Shadow or Rouge, for play outside Story Mode.

About the levels, there could be a level select on the likes of SA2 or Sonic4, in 2D, with the South and Westside Islands and a small portion of Central City for Ep1 and Angel Island and Death Egg for Ep2, then everything could be connected together.

About the shields, Sonic Colors could give us some good hints of how to expand their uses.

About levels, there could more revamping of classic levels as extra contents, or even new, fan-made levels, it could be something on the likes of Sonic Robo Blast, which is very popular.

I'll also try posting this topic on Sonic Retro later today, there may be some different replies in there...

EDIT: DAMN!!! I can't make topics on Sonic Retro... DAMN!!!

Edited by XRick