Awoo.

Last Sonic Game You Played, and Why?

Glenn

Okay, so I'm guessing this is technically a duplicate. But I thought to myself, "Hey, this is a Sonic forum and we've got one for videogames in general... so why not?"

Sometimes, too, I've noticed Sonic debates and discussions spark off in that topic, found over in Computer Games, and wondered why there wasn't a proper Sonic-based version knocking about. Well, unless the (generous, benevolent, handsome/beautiful and all-round brilliantly wonderful) SSMB staff feel this is too much of a duplicate and want to lock it, we've got one now!

Now, a few rules, if you don't mind? :)

Don't just post "Oh, I played Sonic Riders this morning. I won a race. It was good." Notice the title asks why? Go into a little detail. Don't just come across random debates about your favourite, or least favourite, Sonic games in other topics... come here. Because chances are, a member of this corner of the interweb has played it in the past few days. So engage with them, chat about their experiences compared to yours, and make your case. Or maybe you're a budding writer who wants to express him and/or herself in relation to a Sonic-based gaming experience, and want somewhere to stick a relevant mini-review? C'mon in, stick it in here and we'll comment!

As long as you keep it civil and non-personal, and don't just blindly bash with comments like "Ha, you played a crap game! You suck!" then I hope this'll work. Now, I've got some comments of my own to make, but I'll save them for a bit and let somebody else get the ball rolling!

...aaaaaaaand, go!

Last one was...Sonic CD, actually. I think I've made my relative dislike of the game clear in other topics, but it's still "ok", and I pop it in every once in a while (when I feel I can deal with the crazy level design and horrible jump sound). I think I've gained some small amount of respect for the game, actually; I was going for the enemy generators, and if you play the game the exact opposite of how I think a Sonic game should be played, it's not a completely unreasonable task. So it's still broken, just less so than I thought. Also I spotted more unique gimmicks and level design tricks scattered around in time than I had known of before.

Before that, though, I had played a hack called Sonic 2 Retro Remix. Now that's how you do exploration in a Sonic game; the levels are still designed to be fast and exciting (at the same time, not neglecting the platforming), but they're so big and with so many paths that it's almost overwhelming. Instead of just beating levels to progress, you need to collect emeralds in them; some are hidden (you're given clues at the start of the level), some are earned from completing time/score attacks, some are earned by bopping all 7 emerald monitors, etc. The requirements are lax enough that you can see the whole game with a little work, but there are plenty of challenges for completionists. And the added moves are great; the wall kick (once you get used to it) is amazingly useful, the tricks give you more options when going off springs, and the homing attack gives you a nice boost in strength and mobility without ruining the difficulty. Unfortunately that's the one complaint I have about the game; the difficulty is really high in a lot of places, and unless you're really good, a lot of the emeralds are going to be out of your reach for a long time.

I recently popped in SA2:B on the Wii. I haven't played it in years, so it surprised me just how precise Sonic and Shadow move, almost to the point of being oversensitive to my handling of the control stick. I'll let you be the judge of whether that says more of recent control schemes or my skills, but I had to practice again amidst memories of controlling the hedgehogs much cleaner from the days of when my Dreamcast still had controllers.

It wasn't frustrating, though. If anything, it got me in the mood to try to emulate players with skills well above mine, to rack up my score on rails or on enemies over-yonder. So I died. I died a lot. It reinforced the fact that I will never A-Rank Final Rush without assistance from a walkthrough. But it was made up for with the few tricks I actually found I could pull off, (first rail in Rail Canyon induced a single tear), as well as the novelty of engaging in a 3D Sonic game that requires so much precision to beast.

The experience let me draw clearer parallels to Unleashed considering I made a few speed runs of the daytime levels not too long before. I remember upon picking that installment up, despite watching trailers and off-camera playthroughs enough to essentially know bits of level design by heart before it even released, I sucked just as much at controlling Sonic as I did navigating the layout, even if I wasn't boosting.

But looking back on the first night of struggling and retrying and practicing, it feels more forgiving than SA2 in terms of how quickly you can perfect it. The difficulty curve levels out much faster, which is disappointing, but the sensations it invokes in me still keep me coming back, and that's because I ultimately feel like I know what I'm doing amidst all the chaos, both at day and night. SA2 humbles me more, because the fact is I don't know the game well at all; It gives me more control and proves daunting. It's actually harder than Unleashed, which means I'm more apt at putting it down for longer intervals. All just the same, it still holds up and is still fun.

I've been sort of playing two in tandem lately:

Sonic 2006

I played through the whole game again via the level select and cut-scene replay menu. It was actually surprisingly more fun than playing with the hub worlds, even if it did involve just as many loading screens.

I think I played it because... well it had been a while, and I do enjoy the platformy level design of 2006. Plus, like every Sonic game, the more you play it, the better you get at avoiding the glitches, which makes it a much more entertaining game. Doesn't forgive the glitches at all, but still.

Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure

I recently moved out of Bath down the road to Trowbridge, but due to it's shops (and me knowing where they are) I still make semi-frequent trips there. In my 20 minute train rides, I've slowly been playing through the entire game via the Time Trial mode. There's something rather thrilling and challenging about beating every level without dying, lol.

I just finished playing Sonic 2 from my ultimate genesis collection game. and it was a pretty cool gaming session. I had planned on playing Ecco the Dolphin when I started up my PS3, but then I decided to play Sonic 2 because it was the only Sonic game left on the collection I hadn't tried out yet. Sonic 2 was never really my favorite Sonic game and I never played it enough to get really far, but this time I got the farthest I had in Sonic 2(Hilltop Zone)...and then I got game over on the boss.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing in readyness for the Tourney this weekend at SoS B ). I wont win but I wanna give it the good ol college try regardless

Sonic Heroes. I think this has to be my least favorite out of all the Sonic games I own, but it really has it good points. I love the level designs, the special stages are enjoyable (if they were less buggy, they'd be perfect), and I always liked the idea of the three characters at once.

I bought it, sold it, and bought it again so there has to be something that draws me to it. Plus, when playing it this time I realized that it's not as slow as I thought it was. Sonic 06 is much slower. Sonic moves like a snail in that game.

I played it because every once in a while I have the urge to do a few special stages and a few levels. I hardly ever go through the entire thing though. I hate fighting the bosses four times over...

The last game I played was Sonic 3 and Knuckles, about a week ago, simply because I wanted to see what made the classics so good... and because I was feeling nostalgic. And I needed something to tide over my craving for Sonic 4 :P

...that's it, really. Oh, and I also had the urge to verbally abuse that fucking spinning drum in Carnival Night zone as I made it my bitch >=] My childhood has been atoned for once more. :P

Edited by EXshad

i've been in a sonic mood lately, so i've played a few within the last week:

sonic 3 & knuckles:

This started my recent sonic binge. i needed some blue hedgehog in my life, and where is there a better place to go than this epic game of awesome? i played through the first half (through launch base), then took a break for a while, and then played through the next half. i allllmost had trouble getting all the super emeralds because the warp rings are SO FLIPPIN HARD TO FIND AFTER MUSHROOM HILL!!! seriously, i always get 5 or 6 emeralds in mushroom hill zone alone, and then i'm like.........can i please haz a warp ring? but i found my last 2 in lava reef, and beat the game without dying more than a couple times. I then felt accomplished enough to go out and play some beer pong with friends lol.

sonic 2:

I had an hour to kill, and I thought, let's speed run this shit!! then i got a phone call that lasted a half hour, so i almost didn't play it, but i still thought, let's TRY to speed run this shit!!! i made it to sky chase before i had to go. i love this game though, except when tails hits a boss riiiiiight before you do so you go through robotnik and hit lava or death or some shit like that. grrrrrr tails in sonic 2 kills me sometimes.

Sonic Adventure DX:

i was cravin some sonic adventure, and my gamecube was hooked up at college, so i played some of my old favorite levels (emerald coast, windy valley, speed highway, red mountain, lost world). it was enjoyable, BUT something was missing.....so my next game to play was...

Sonic Adventure:

i got home from college for a week or so, and i plugged in the ol' dreamcast and played the original sonic adventure. and HOLY SHIT it's so much better!! people and reviewers always say that DX does not control as well or play as well as the original, and i was always like, yeeaaah, i guess i can see that, but it never hit home until this week. SA for dreamcast plays SOOOO much better than the DX version. I had sooooo much more fun, and as such I believe i will be brining my 'cast with me to school this year.

Sonic Advance 2:

i'm currently on a mini vacation with my folks, and i brought my gameboy for the car ride. i loved advance 2 when i first got it, but honestly, anymore it is just mediocre. getting all the emeralds is just a bitch and a half, and every level feels more or less the same. I DO like the running bosses though, they actually provide a helluva challenge compared to the bosses of old in the genesis games.

and yeah, those be the sonic games i have played in the last week. it's been a good week haha

Last Sonic game I played was... Sonic Heroes. Two weeks ago. I hadn't played it in a good long while before then, and I randomly had the urge to play it again, so I did.

Before that was most likely Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Mega Collection. It's just one of those games that you never really seem to stop playing for me.

Sonic Adventure DX: i was cravin some sonic adventure, and my gamecube was hooked up at college, so i played some of my old favorite levels (emerald coast, windy valley, speed highway, red mountain, lost world). it was enjoyable, BUT something was missing.....so my next game to play was...Sonic Adventure:i got home from college for a week or so, and i plugged in the ol' dreamcast and played the original sonic adventure. and HOLY SHIT it's so much better!! people and reviewers always say that DX does not control as well or play as well as the original, and i was always like, yeeaaah, i guess i can see that, but it never hit home until this week. SA for dreamcast plays SOOOO much better than the DX version. I had sooooo much more fun, and as such I believe i will be brining my 'cast with me to school this year.

I just finished Sonic Adventure DX yesterday. I am proud. Now what to do?

So you recommend I get out the good old Dreamcast and play again on there? I don't care I've just finished it, I'm playing it again old school style if you say it's that good!

And after that, SA2, maybe Sonic Heroes after. I might play Tails Adventure soon as well. I love that game. I also like to play Sonic R but sometimes for a challenge I'll do a time attack and keep replaying the race against the ghost. After I defeated the ghost about 3-4 times its practically impossible to win. But who cares, in the end, I'm better than me!

I popped Mario & Sonic 1 and 2 into my Wii earlier today because I was feeling determined to collect all the Crowns! I had obtained Blaze's Crown for getting Gold Medals in every event as her in M&S1DS back in the day when I was a raving Blaze fanatic, and I had just assumed that everybody else's were identical to hers except a different colour or something. So imagine my surprise when I got bored a few weeks ago and tried to Gold Medal every event as Eggman - bwoashit, what's this?! A radically different piece of headgear?!

I was quite surprised when I learned that every character got their own unique little personalized Crown. Blaze's actually looks like it may actually be her actual royal crown that she would wear formally in her kingdom - it's quite the elegant headdress. It even has enough space for her ponytail-thingy! I'd love to see it again in a future canon title or something. Sonic Team designed it after all.

Vector's Crown is hilarious - it looks like he plucked it right of off Flavor Flav's noggin with it's wacky design. It compliments his chains perfectly! It's a shame the Crowns can't be worn in-game though. T_T

So yeah, just when I thought I was totally done with those games I'm back to playing them once again. Back to collecting Blue Coins in Radical Highway and facing off against a deranged Shy Guy's hacked Bob-omb-chucking E-1000 series robot. Which reminds me - I wanted to record some of M&S2DS's script down! Eugghhh if only that game didn't have so much dialogue (Not that I dislike that - I freaking love it). But I mean seriously there's more chatter in this Olympics spin-off than a fair share of the mainstream titles. ;_;

Seriously where are my third instalments. There is so much fanservice, continuity nodding, and nostalgic awesomeness in these titles it's not even funny.

Edited by HunterTSF

I play Adv2 a lot. It certainly moved up my list from mediocre to awesome when I accepted it as Sonic Rush Zero. I'm pretty good at it. You need to realize that the trick button is more important than the spin dash in this game. I read here some people didn't know the button existed. It does! If I'm talking about you, I recommend trying this game again. You might be surprised. People also like layered levels with many paths. Adv2 has them! You just need to know where to trick to get up there. The top path will save you from bottomless pits. Some of the levels can feel repetitive or too fast. But I love this game. And the bosses are great.

So that's the one I played last.

Before that was Rush Adventure or Chaotix. I got Rush Adventure like three months ago and played the hell out of it. Just as good as the first, plus a hub world.

Chaotix is more interesting for me. The reason I love this game is patience. Its learning curve is stupidly high. You'll try to throw your partner and fail, try to rubber band up every incline because your spin dash sucks with a partner in tow. It makes for a slow and frustrating game, so you give up and cheat with Charmy instead.

Some tips for playing Chaotix then. Vector is an awesome starter character. His double jump is directable and takes a lot of stress off the learning curve, and he climbs like Knuckles. Carrying your partner works for going up minor inclines without the rubber band since you can run solo that way. You also damage enemies the same as rolling when you're carrying your partner. The HOLD! makes your partner stick to where he's standing, so if he makes a miraculous jump you can put the brakes on him. Using the rubber band while dangling will catapult you upwards, which is helpful for the tall levels. If you can't tell, I play a lot of Chaotix.

Edited by Dabnikz

Sonic Rush Adventure. Getting my hair put into locks, (I wanna look like Knuckles) and the DS is a time kill while the process drags on. I still adore the Rush series, and Adventure is a great way to pass the time. I have yet to beat all 100 missions for the game (I usually spend my time in the Time Trials or just playing stages for fun) so I always have something constructive to work for. And its hard to get board with it because when you get sick of Sonic, you can just swap to Blaze. For such small gameplay tweaks, they really do play vastly differently if you can exploit their talents.

I played tons of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) earlier today, mainly just mopping up those Town Missions that I never bothered with, for Shadow. I adore spending time with this battle-scarred, picked-on member of the Sonic family... mainly because I adore it, too! In fact, I've been playing lots of this and Sonic Unleashed on the PlayStation3 lately because, on this Tuesday just gone, I played Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the first ever time in my tiny life.

They were great, no question. Sonic Adventure definitely had the upper hand, though. It felt fresher, more fluid, more interactive and more like a proper Sonic game. Don't get me wrong, Sonic Adventure 2 was great, but the choppy gameplay styles and forcefeeding of variety frustrated me, to be honest. Knuckles' searching missions were just plain bad. I'd much rather have the different characters with their different gameplay styles divided into alternate paths, rather than just "hero" and "not-so-heroic, but-you-know-they'll-end-up-good". But I digress... because never having played them, but being a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), I had no idea of the level of ripping off the newer game got away with. Wave Ocean, the wall-jumping, the snowboarding, the hub worlds, etc. etc. Yeah, my word... Sonic Team should sue themselves. For plagarism.

Still adore Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), mind. :D

I think Sonic Classic Collection was the last Sonic game I played. Why? Well, because it was the latest one I've bought :P and I don't play games all that often. I guess why I chose to play (and buy) it, is because I've always wanted to play the classic Sonic games on a handheld console without having to shell out about £80 on a Nomad >.< and I must admit, I play the classic games a lot more often now due to it being on hand easier *is too lazy to set my home consoles up most of the time >.>* and I've FINALLY fully completed Sonic 1 and 2 without cheats thanks to the new save feature. =D

I'd been animating Tails, and thinking about that archie Tails contest, and with so much Tails on the mind I felt like playing Sonic 2 as Tails on the collection for Gamecube. I'd rather use the Genesis controller, but gamecube is already hooked up. I finished off my lives in the Wing Fortress Zone, and even though I still had continues I was so sick of botching up the stage I cut the game off. So ended my trip down nostalgia lane.

For me: Sonic 06.

why: Wanted all achievements

Outcome: mission complete!!! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably SASASR back when the Metal Sonic DLC came out. Frankly, I don't play Sonic games as much as I used to. I love the series; I think about it all the time. But there are so many other games coming out that I enjoy that I don't really get a chance to get my Sonic on. I'll get back to him when the next game I want comes out, but Sonic-wise, this year's been pretty empty between All-Stars Racing and the upcoming Sonic 4 and Colors.

Playing Sonic Adventure 2 right now. I decided to S/A-Rank everything from Adventure up, so yeah.

I've finished up the Hero side, right now I'm doing the Hard mode Final Chase.

Then I have Rouge, Eggman, Cannon's Core and the Vs. Hero chao races to go.

After that, it's onwards to Heroes-land and beyond. I guess I should probably buy the games I haven't got pre-emptively.

The last Sonic game I played was Sonic Unleashed when I was at Alton Towers, it was quite fun playing it again even if it was only for a short while. Although about a day ago I did get chance to watch someone playing Sonic 4 which was nice.

Sonic 2 Game Gear version, on my NDS. Because its the funnest game on my flashcard.

The last Sonic game I played was Sonic Unleashed when I was at Alton Towers, it was quite fun playing it again even if it was only for a short while. Although about a day ago I did get chance to watch someone playing Sonic 4 which was nice.

You haven't played a Sonic game since Alton Towers? For shame ;)

Edited by HelenBaby