Awoo.

Why are people so judgmental about Sonic, but not towards other series?

Creamy

Not sure for Spyro (didn't played that since PSX) but other 2 are better.

Me neither, the only Spyro game I own is the first one on PS1 ^_^

Some people are just drama queens, but it frustrates me when I see early previews for a game I might enjoy, only for it to quickly turn out that there's something massively wrong with it.

I wish S0nic's game quality could meet the quality of the trailers.

I wonder if half of these people who say the new Sonic games are so horrible even played the new games. Not because I disagree with their opinion, but because for such a large group of people who have been criticizing Sonic for years, they don't to seem to know much about the series. They even admit that they haven't followed the games for a long time. This tells me that, instead of forming your own opinion, it's just easier to parrot what everyone else is saying. All it takes is a few negative opinions and the bandwagon rolls, the gaming media being the horses for the wagon.

So next time you see another one of those "What's Wrong with Sonic?" articles and the article fails to address any of the real problems with the series, you know why.

I wish S0nic's game quality could meet the quality of the trailers.
Actually I think they should not spend such a large budget on worthless cg cinematics. I'm mainly talking about the ridiculous ones in sonic unleashed. That opening one is like 10 minutes! It's also over the top, considering how child-like the games style and tone is. It just doesn't mesh well. Most of the time when I was watching it, a lot of scenes left me thinking, "Is that necessary?".

Then they wasted more of the budget making those useless chip/sonic hidden animation clips. If they wanted to make the best sonic ever, which is what they said on the japanese site, they should have intelligently used their money wisely on the game engines.

Also, another interesting thing I noticed is that if you look at the credits, they hired a crap load of studios to create concept and cg art for the game. That's more money that has to go to those studios for their work. Not to mention, they set up an internal CG unit.

A perfect example of how to use CG the right way is shadow the hedgehog. You have an opening, ending, and other in betweens that couldn't be done in-game, such as shooting a laser from space. That's perfect direction of how to handle how much CG there should be..... to bad the game itself lacked a good budget.

The ones for sonic heroes were made at low production costs, so that saved money. Despite that, the character interactions and animations were sophisticated and new to the franchise.

On the subject of judgement, I'll admit, even some guys from my school, who don't even play sonic, say stuff like, "That franchise has not been doing to well lately." So they're pretty much aware of the bad reception, except they don't play the games.

This hurts the franchise from winning over new fans.

Sad.

Edited by lounge

Because everyone has opinions. I love the classic Sonic games as well as the 3D Sonic games, but most everyone who played the classics when they were young think the 3D stuff is shit. I strongly disagree, though the load times in Sonic 06 made it the only Sonic game I dread the thought of replaying.

Actually I think they should not spend such a large budget on worthless cg cinematics.

That's my point. Sort of.

I think a lot of the reason that Sonic is hated is because its popular to hate him. Most reviewers and gaming sites mock the supposed downfall of the series, and others are influenced by that, which causes them to have a negative attitude towards the series. Most of those people probably don't even play the games, so they don't really know what they're saying and they're just mindlessly bashing Sonic.

I'm not saying the series hasn't gone significantly downhill (although I personally don't think its doing that badly), and a lot of others in this topic are correct in their reasoning. However, the downward trend of the series is greatly exaggerated by many, and that causes a lot of undeserved hatred towards Sonic.

I think a lot of the reason that Sonic is hated is because its popular to hate him. Most reviewers and gaming sites mock the supposed downfall of the series, and others are influenced by that, which causes them to have a negative attitude towards the series. Most of those people probably don't even play the games, so they don't really know what they're saying and they're just mindlessly bashing Sonic.

I'm not saying the series hasn't gone significantly downhill (although I personally don't think its doing that badly), and a lot of others in this topic are correct in their reasoning. However, the downward trend of the series is greatly exaggerated by many, and that causes a lot of undeserved hatred towards Sonic.

Agreed. People have a tendency to take reviews too seriously, and not just Sonic- All reviews. I remember there being a riot over Twilight Princess getting an 8.8 from IGN. (At least I think it was an 8.8) Regardless, I still think the detachment from Sonic sort of stemmed on it's own for many, but a lot of the reviewer publications are reinforcing a lot of it.

Could the game possibly be Fable II?

Probably.

But I think we're getting off topic.

EDIT: My bad. It was Gamespot's TP score.

Edited by SuperStingray

I don't really think Sonic's a mess, I think it's because a couple of judgmental fans, have given them that idea, so everyone assumes they've gone downhill.

What games really sucked anyway?

Sonic Riders 2

Sonic 006

Possibly the Sonic Rivals series, dunno.

A couple of the buggy early games

and...what others?

Sonic Riders = Awesome.

Sonic Unleashed = Awesome, though it didn't get the credit it deserved.

Sonic Chronicles = Also awesome, just a bit slower.

Sonic and the Secret Rings = Awesome, only down side was how long it took Sonic to start up on the run

Sonic and the Black Knight = Pure awesome, with tons of kindhearted hints and tributes to fans.

So really, I don't see many games that actually sucked, MOST of the new games are very well done and thought out.

People just like to complain.

Edited by Trixie The Fox

Because after sonic adventure 2, it all went to crap. Actually, scratch that, after sonic adventure it all went to crap.

The GBA games were bearable, and the chao game on SA2 wasn't that bad, but Sonic Heroes was the last straw. Most of the old fans gave up after that point.

Because after sonic adventure 2, it all went to crap. Actually, scratch that, after sonic adventure it all went to crap.

The GBA games were bearable, and the chao game on SA2 wasn't that bad, but Sonic Heroes was the last straw. Most of the old fans gave up after that point.

Proving my point quite nicely. He believes this to be true while I do not. As long as people have opinions you're going to get tons of whining. I know it gets tiresome after awhile, but just go with it...when we resist we tend to start flame wars =P

I loved Sonic heroes. =O

The only thing that sucked was the voice acting, the gameplay was fantastic.

Every video game magazine should have that. If only so people will shut up about review scores and play the damn game.

Edited by SuperStingray

This answer right here hit the nail right on the head. Sonic was a loved and respected icon because his games were high quality stuff. Sonic Unleashed was pretty good but it was still a far cry from his classic days. People are harder on Sonic because they expect more from him. His older games are just that good.

These here are generally what is judgemental opinions occur more for Sonic than most other games.

Generally though a lot of people take it over board just to get on the fan boys nerves.

Most of this topic was TL;DR so I just added my two pence worth on the main topic question. Sorry.

Addressing the whole TP score...9.5-8.8 is a rather mere 0.7 difference. IGN and Gamestop both gave Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) a 4.5/3.5 score, respectively. Everyone else gave the game around a 6-7. Bias...?

I mean, a .7 difference could be justified with TP (the formula wearing a bit, a bit too much like OOT, weapons you don't use, lack of innovations). a gap of 3.5-2.5 had to have a bit of somewhat heavy bias there...you have to admit. I mean...surely, most would agree that Unleashed was far better in comparison to Sonic 06. Then...why give it a lower score? Doesn't make any sense if you ask me, other than everyone has a different idea of what they want Sonic to be...

...which is still bias. :/

This is so tiring, you either have fanboys who have ideas on how to fix Sonic, the people actually DOING stuff about it and are making amazing fan games, people screaming for classic style, people screaming for MOAR SPEED!...

Can't people just accept what we get, and that if it doesn't get better...heaven forbid...play something else? *sigh*

Oh well.

[/end mini rant]

Can't people just accept what we get, and that if it doesn't get better...heaven forbid...play something else? *sigh*

I think it's harder to let Sonic off the hook though. Today, there aren't any alternatives to the fluid and dynamic platforming he's known for, so a lot of people want to keep him in his niche.

The Sonic series is judgemental because it had set a high standard when first released to the world and maintained that standard for quite a while up to SA2 or Heroes to some extent. When you establish yourself as something, you have to keep delivering it while bringing in some new ideas to keep the flow fresher than before, and Sonic hasn't exactly been doing that all to well.

For instance, Sonic 1 came out. You could move around the stage, jump over enemies without it being to precise unlike Mario, and you could roll and take advantage of the environment to get across the stage.

Sonic 2 came out, and introduced the spindash so that you could quickly gain speed over slopes without running back to pick up speed. It also introduced Super Sonic as a much higher achievement so you could bolt through the stage even faster and was invincible to most damage provided you had enough rings. It also introduced Tails as a new and playable character, but he hardly did shit differently in that game.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles came out, and it introduced a save feature so that should you want to play at where you left off you could do so, and you could choose any level desired after beating the game. Tails could now fly (and swim) giving him the edge over Sonic to reach places he normally couldn't on his own, and also introduced the co-op ability for the second player to control Tails with said flight powers so that you could lift Sonic in the air and carry him to those places. Sonic had the ability to use different shields to give him different powers aside from the ability to protect him. Also Knuckles was introduce and came along with the feature to glide, scale walls to reach places even Tails couldn't reach with his low stamina, and break walls by simply walking into them. Also Hyper Sonic was made in this game, and featured the ability to kill all enemies on screen with a double jump ability that could also carry you higher than you're usual jump.

I could go on, but we already know the full specs. Since Sonic has kinda broken his image after Heroes, people expect more of him than what he is now. That's not to say he can step his foot into something else every once in a while, but he should still maintain flowing mechanics he had during his greater years of Sonic 1 through SA2 (bar the shooting and treasure hunting, cuz everyone seems to hate that now).

Now as for other things not involving gameplay, well that's just silly stuff people like to get a toss over. :P

Most people here adore Sonic, mainly because they grew up with it. So alot of the time people complain because no one likes to see something you love getting ruined. Sonic isn't the only game series that gets judged though, FF does too, as do many other series I'm sure.

Also many people love the old games, but don't like the new ones. Or they want something that just can't exist.

Edited by Mollfie

To me, it's probably because Sonic was a part of pretty much every console gamer in the past.

Personally (I'm 19) I don't know anyone my age (well, excluding girls) who hasn't played at least a Sonic title for the Mega Drive. It's actually a good ice breaker for a conversation. The series took a huge turn, and more games have come up, and somehow some of those who used to play Sonic a lot feel like they have been deceived, and now they have much more to choose from anyway.

When I tell any of my high-school/university colleagues I still play Sonic they go "what?" because some of them don't even know Sonic games are still being released. Funny that some of them tell me they play the Mega Drive titles on emulator format.

My point is - people are more critical because it was big. Was.

Most people here adore Sonic, mainly because they grew up with it. So alot of the time people complain because no one likes to see something you love getting ruined. Sonic isn't the only game series that gets judged though, FF does too, as do many other series I'm sure.

Agreed. Because the majority of users here love Sonic they feel the bad reviews he's been getting are challenging their views on the series as a whole. That doesn't mean the series is getting worse/better it just means it has a larger impact on us than others because we're such big fans. If you go to a FF board or a Mario board, you'll probably find similar topics only related to the declining quality of those games. It really is blown out of proportion.