Awoo.

Scott Pilgrim vs. You

Sean

What the hell was that light on Ramona's head again? And Subspace is what? And why are those chicks in tubes and why is Scott fighting Gideon anyways and what do you mean he never had Ramona and what is going on and how is he in her head and why does subspace go into her head anyways and why does everyone's head glow and why is scott asking everyone for casual sex and why is Ramona in Scott's dreams and how the hell did she burst out of his chest and what is happening.

The glow is Gideon's money maker which seals off issues and puts the characters into a state of emotional warfare. Basically anytime a character becomes affected by it, their hair starts glowing signifying that they're distressed or hard pressed into territory they don't want to talk about. It pretty much seals themselves inside their heads. Ramona managed to use this to warp through subspace which is a highway through minds, explaining why Scott had reocurring dreams of Ramona since his mind was one of the shortest/easiest ones to travel through.

The chicks in tubes are Gideon's exes who he cryogenically froze in order to eventually date all of them. Scott originally fights Gideon because he believes that he's keeping Ramona captive, but turns out that he doesn't which puts him into a state of distress (hence why he gets the glow during that scenario as well).

Gideon practically locks Ramona's mind through the subspace where he also eventually rewrote alot of Scott's memories to give him the impression that he was never responsible for many of his past relationship issues and also give him the benefit of doubt that he didn't cheat on Ramona with Lisa in Volume 4, which also explains all his memory issues in the series.

As for casual sex Scott is just desperate after his "break up" with Ramona.

This summarises my thoughts over the last day or so:

- was unsure of what all of the fuss was about

- decided to check out trailer

- was generally impressed

- HEARD THE SONIC RING SOUND EFFECT IN TRAILER

- OMFG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER

- WHY THE FUCK IS THIS FILM NOT OUT IN THE UK YET?!!!!

So yeah. I'm already planning to go see this with a friend as soon as I possibly can. It seems like it can do no wrong.

There are like, half a dozen Sonic references in the comic version. None in the movie, but eh who cares.

Pretty sure there's a sonic sound effect at the "not a clue -----> gets it" brain meter part, but that's the only thing I noticed!

Pretty sure there's a sonic sound effect at the "not a clue -----> gets it" brain meter part, but that's the only thing I noticed!

it's the sound effect when your score is finished tallying up I think. The dododododododododododododododoo doo ding! thing.

But yeah I need to see this movie like as soon as possible.

I keep seeing this part in the trailer where Scott and Gideon actually punch at each other and their fists collide, and then in the stop motion effect, Scott just slams him in the face.

That's like the best thing ever. I mean I'm going to see the movie just for that one instant.

I just got back from seeing this movie a little while ago, and I thought it was awesome! So many video games references, it makes the geek in me happy! I do agree with Jez though about Scott's voice being "whiny". While it's not enough to ruin the movie for me, it's just a bit of an annoyance.

Oh, and I counted 3 Sonic references in the movie:

-The ring chime

-The jingle made after your score is totaled when you finish an act

-The Special Stage chime

I actually never heard of Scott Pilgrim until very recently when people were talking about how great it was, but I highly recommend that you go and see the movie! I should definitely check out the comics as well.

Just saw this movie and it was really good and I may buy it when it comes out on DVD. The video game refrences, the characters, the music, graphics etc etc were amazing. Only sad part was the lack of diversity. Sucks

Lack of diversity?...

Also, I guess I was wrong in the movies topic. Scott Pilgrim bombing = fail. This actually depresses me quite a lot. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO GIVE SCOTT PILGRIM THEIR MONEY.

Edgar Wright, we love you! I promise I'll spend another six dollars next weekend to see it, as well as buy the DVD first day it comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't really see anyone else who wasn't white in the movie other than a couple of asians and Matthew Patel. (And I don't really mean in terms of main characters. I didn't expect him to change up the main characters)

Edited by Space Ghost

Because... that was how it was in the comics...!! No black people in the comics.

Also, Canada. Chris, are there any black people in Canada?

You posted at the same time as my edit. :lol:

Also what does it taking place in Canada with it have to do with anything? There are plenty of different ethnicites in Canada. It's a big misconception. :/

I wasn't just referring to black people... :(

Edited by Space Ghost

Also what does it taking place in Canada with it have to do with anything? There are plenty of different ethnicites in Canada. It's a big misconception. :/

lol, I know.

IDK man. Maybe it's like in Dr. McNinja, where you can't tell (at least in the early comics) who's what race, or something.

Meh. Dunno. That was really my only issue but still a good movie. Thankfully it didn't drag.

Edited by Space Ghost

it's the sound effect when your score is finished tallying up I think. The dododododododododododododododoo doo ding! thing.

First of all, I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed that. There's also another sound effect in there right before that. It's the sound of the stars from the title screen of Sonic 2.

^^ Yep

I don't really have any black friends (I know people online and I know a few people from uni but not friend-friends). That's not to say I havn't known black people but I have only ever had three black friends in my entire life. Why? Because they simply weren't many around. At my primary school there was one black boy. At my second primary there were no black students. At my first high school there were one or two I think, at my second high school there were four who were really cliquey and at college there were none again.

It's just the way it is sometimes. Plus as a white person you will often fill you art/writing with white characters because that's what you've been surrounded by. Black people will often have black characters etc. It's simply because that's what we are familiar with.

It also depends on area. In somewhere like London there are a lot of black people, asians etc but if you live in a town somewhere there might not be many at all. In Bath there's a lot of Japanese people but I never seen many black people or other asians.

In my writing I've only ever had one black character, and he wasn't a very nice person (with good reason though). Otherwise they've all been white. Different kinds of white (French, Italian etc) but white. I had one chinese character too. I am white, I know what it's like to be white so it's easy. Society is still very much dominated by white people but I don't think it's done of purpose really.

This is going to sound so weird but I can't think of any black authors, comic creators etc... Can someone enlighten me?

I didn't mean that to be so long XD

Edited by Mollfie

It's true. All of my own characters are white, more or less too. I plan to have an Indian character soon in the comic I draw, and frankly I am a bit afraid I won't do her justice, even though I'm giving her a very "white" and western personality deliberately.

Bryan Lee O'Malley clearly had a white circle of friends and family through most of his life, just as I did.

Well I mean as I said before...I didn't expect him to change the main characters. And the movie took place in Toronto, I believe where there's a really good amount of diversity compared to other parts of Canada. The crowds were nothing but white people. I just find it very questionable. Clearly the crowds weren't his circle of friends.

Europe is a different story..I mean, the guy who directed this movie also directed Hot Fuzz, I think. Hot Fuzz takes place in Europe, and more remote places at that, so it's not like one expects to see many people of color in that movie but Canada ffs.

In terms of black comic book artists:

Aaron Mcgruder: The boondocks (The comics are much different from the cartoons. Much much different, thank goodness)

Jarrett Williams (Lunar Boy)

That's all I really know of, mostly because I'm not that into comic books.

Edited by Space Ghost

So I got seriously bored, and remade some of the font from the books. The one used a fuckton in book 6, like the one with "WHAT A DICK."

scottpletters.png

Oh god I had to make the J, Q, and Z from scratch and they suuuccckk

This... would go here right? It's Pilgrim related... riighhtt...?

Yeah, I remembered it cause of the sound that comes out of the Wiimote when selecting Sonic in Brawl.

So I just got back from watching the movie with some friends; we were originally going to see "Vampires Suck", but apparently, "Vampires Sucks" sucks. So we saw this movie instead... and I'm not disappointed.

I think it just made the top spot in my list of my top 1 movie of all time.

And now that I like Scott Pilgrim because of the movie and I was looking at the videos:

scottpilgrimsonicandknu.png

YES.

also for the technology impaired the above is an image and not a video

Edited by Ovarloard

Screw Sonic, I like the part where the comic references SCOTT PILGRIM.

uh

is that a... joke

because if it is, it flew right over my head.

it would also explain the breeze.