Awoo.

Iron Maiden: The Final Frontier

T-Bird

The-Final-Frontier-video-iron-maiden.jpg

Ok, so today marks the launch of Iron Maiden's 15th studio album, The Final Frontier. Now Maiden have been my favourite band for as long as I can remember - I think I bought Somewhere in Time back in '95 or '96 when I was still a tike after falling in love with the artwork in a shop.

On the subject of SiT, it was the first of two concept albums Maiden released in the 80's, and they're both two of my favourites, so you can imagine my anticipation with this album as it is also a concept album.

Luckily for me, the album drops through my letterbox on Saturday, so I've probably had a few days advance listening over most of you guys, but I'm quite interested to hear your impressions of this album as I imagine a fair few of you are younger than me, and perhaps my old age is biasing my opinion.

Maybe I just need to give this album a few more revolutions in the deck, but it feels a little average to me. Don't get me wrong, the first two tracks Satellite 15 / TFF and El Dorado are amazing - I love how haunting the first is and Bruce's vocals really do compliment the atmosphere. I'd also pick out Coming Home and Isle of Avalon as other killers on the album. Nikko's hammering on the drums (again on Satellite 15) is still top notch, and Harris seems to really have turned up the bass on this album! I can't fault the production.

However the rest of the album just feels...I dunno...a little hollow?

Anyone else want to agree/disagree with me? Would love to know your thoughts either way if you went out and bought this album today.

T

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T-Bird

• Carbo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to check out the new album. I really haven't been that hip on Iron Maiden ever since Brave New World. Incidentally they played Satellite 15/The Final Frontier quite a few times on the radio today while I was at work as part of the rock station's Maiden Monday. I wouldn't say it was such a massive track but it was really catchy to be honest, and I'd heard El Dorado some months ago, thinking it was a pretty good track. Very classic Maiden.

I'm going to have to give this album a listen, but 2010 has been a massive year for music and I got a few albums already on my priority list over this one.