Awoo.

Market place rules

Badnik Mechanic

I'll get right to the point.

Is it not possible to change the permission settings on the market place so that members cannot make new topics if they're under 50 posts, but can reply to topics?

I know the rules are there because it's designed to stop random people from joinging, trying to flog their toot and leave, and yes I would agree with that. But, theres not just buying and selling topics in there, lots of people are missing out on things, some users post in there have no interest in selling stuff, but enjoy showing off their collections, the sticker trading topic too, no money has ever traded hands there, the appraisal topic, no money is traded there it's purely for information only. However it's normally not as popular as it could be because of the restrictions.

As someone who has borth bought and sold things on here, I've had people asking me if they can buy stuff from me but they can't reply to the topics I've made. On all these occasions If I've not known who they were, then I've quizzed them like crazy and asked if they could provide a reference of people they've done deals with before I make a decision, then I tend to take a photograph of the item and get a reciept upon postage which is more than I need to do when I send something out.

When it comes to buying though, it probably would be an idea to keep a post limit in place, but again, could this not be slashed again to around 25? When you look at someone and try to get an idea as to what they are like, you almost always check their profile as a whole other than just their post counts. Not only that, but if you don't know who someone is and they're claiming to be selling rare stuff or pricy stuff, then they'll be well known to some of the collectors on the forum. Most of the collectors on here know of each other even if we've never bought/sold anything with the said guy, it's not like people keep their collections quiet so getting a reference from someone is not that hard a thing to do. But with the post limit, what can 50 posts tell you than 25 cannot?

I also think that the 3 months rule should be just abolished outright, or at least totally slashed to something like 1-2 weeks. It's so restrictive and overtly protective that I think it might actually be doing more harm than good in the long run.

At the very least could we change the relax some of the restrictions for a trial period, just to see if it'll increase activity there. Not just with buying/selling, but with the other non buying/selling topics.

The fact that the Market Place is not just for buying and selling, but also for just discussing about the merchandise, makes the restrictions a bit awkward.

Let me give an example: A newbie is just asking where she can find a certain item. The topic was originally made in the general Sonic Discussion forums, then moved by a mod to the Market Place. Doesn't that mean that the topic starter would then be unable to post a reply in her own topic?

Granted, she never posted again, but still, I can't help but feel bad.

I understand that we don't want to let just anybody try and sell stuff, since it may not be legit, but what if a newbie just wants to buy something? I mean the buyer have to send the money first, so there's no risk in that case.

I'll leave this decision to the staff members whom designed the forum for the safety of sellers. The necessary revisions will be made to the forum if or when the idea gets a thumbs up.

Well, not sure if my input counts, but the Marketplace was originally my idea so what the hey. Gnasher makes many great points, and if anything, I think a trial period of no restrictions would be a good idea. When the marketplace was new and expectations were unknown, the restrictions made sense. By this point, however, the marketplace has a solid following of people who know how to conduct themselves there and how the place works, and they can be more than trusted to hit the report button should any problems arise.

If anything, I seem to recall there being warnings in the marketplace regarding the use of common sense. As long as it still applies, I don't see anyone having trouble, whether they're a member of 1 day or 1 year!

I think there should still be a restriction on how soon people can post there - just to avoid people signing up JUST to sell/buy/scam crap. But I'm all for lowering the restrictions drastically - say, 1 week and 5 posts? This way, people DO have to actually partake in the forum and show willingness, but it's not some crazy way-off thing. Very easy to achieve. Weeds out bots and most drive-through sellers/scammers. I consider it the equivalent to a Captcha test.

Not that I really have any say in the matter, but 5 is a little TOO low. 1 week & 15 posts seems better.

I think Blue Blood's compromise seems best. I wouldn't put it past someone doing 5 spam posts just to beat the system, but 15 seems involved enough that it would filter out most of the "join to sell stuff" people.

Righto, I'll look into making some changes then XP.

Alright niggas, here's the changes:

You need 15 posts before you can post in the forum and 1 week of registration :F. That make things better for y'all?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll get right to the point.

Is it not possible to change the permission settings on the market place so that members cannot make new topics if they're under 50 posts, but can reply to topics?

I know the rules are there because it's designed to stop random people from joinging, trying to flog their toot and leave, and yes I would agree with that. But, theres not just buying and selling topics in there, lots of people are missing out on things, some users post in there have no interest in selling stuff, but enjoy showing off their collections, the sticker trading topic too, no money has ever traded hands there, the appraisal topic, no money is traded there it's purely for information only. However it's normally not as popular as it could be because of the restrictions.

As someone who has borth bought and sold things on here, I've had people asking me if they can buy stuff from me but they can't reply to the topics I've made. On all these occasions If I've not known who they were, then I've quizzed them like crazy and asked if they could provide a reference of people they've done deals with before I make a decision, then I tend to take a photograph of the item and get a reciept upon postage which is more than I need to do when I send something out.

When it comes to buying though, it probably would be an idea to keep a post limit in place, but again, could this not be slashed again to around 25? When you look at someone and try to get an idea as to what they are like, you almost always check their profile as a whole other than just their post counts. Not only that, but if you don't know who someone is and they're claiming to be selling rare stuff or pricy stuff, then they'll be well known to some of the collectors on the forum. Most of the collectors on here know of each other even if we've never bought/sold anything with the said guy, it's not like people keep their collections quiet so getting a reference from someone is not that hard a thing to do. But with the post limit, what can 50 posts tell you than 25 cannot?

I also think that the 3 months rule should be just abolished outright, or at least totally slashed to something like 1-2 weeks. It's so restrictive and overtly protective that I think it might actually be doing more harm than good in the long run.

At the very least could we change the relax some of the restrictions for a trial period, just to see if it'll increase activity there. Not just with buying/selling, but with the other non buying/selling topics.

I just learned after spending about 30 minutes to try to find a button to add a request for a Sonic item. I also wanted to reply to some posts there, but then I got the message that I had to have 50 posts in order to do so. I would love to buy some Sonic merchandise also (btw, I have an excellent ebay buyer record) but I hope some things will be able to be changed.

I just learned after spending about 30 minutes to try to find a button to add a request for a Sonic item. I also wanted to reply to some posts there, but then I got the message that I had to have 50 posts in order to do so. I would love to buy some Sonic merchandise also (btw, I have an excellent ebay buyer record) but I hope some things will be able to be changed.

According to Roary it has. You just need another 4 posts and you can post in the market forum all you like.

Can I stress then if these changes go ahead that you are more vigilant when dealing with new traders? Remember the SSMB is merely a conduit for buying, selling and trading, and is not responsible in any way shape or form for any transactions that might occur through it.

Can we also stress again we expect to see only clear, concise forum topics that adhere to the rules we have outlined in the market place, and breaking these rules will result in a market place ban.

T

According to Roary it has. You just need another 4 posts and you can post in the market forum all you like.

Thanks! That's great news!

Righto, I'll look into making some changes then XP.

Alright niggas, here's the changes:

You need 15 posts before you can post in the forum and 1 week of registration :F. That make things better for y'all?

huh? What's with the "niggas?" I'm African- American, but I'm not a "nigga" I hate how that slave term is being tossed around so casually these days....:huh:

huh? What's with the "niggas?" I'm African- American, but I'm not a "nigga" I hate how that slave term is being tossed around so casually these days....:huh:

Nobody's saying it is anyway to be offensive, and it was a comment aimed at everyone. It's used so casually because nobody cares these days, gayboi. Also, nobody knows that you're black.

Edited by Blue Blood