Awoo.

Sonic invades Pizza Hut

Doctor MK

So, here's the story. I was going out for a meal with a friend to celebrate my recent A level results, but we couldn't decide on where to go. After much deliberation, we eventually settled on Pizza Hut.

And I'm glad we did.

Upon being shown to our table, I noticed that some of the kids in the restaurant were being given stuff to keep them amused by the waiters (as is usually the case in Pizza Hut). But this stuff wasn't just any old stuff. It was Sonic stuff.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Sonic the Hedgehog has made his way into Pizza Hut, and he's brought along the cast of Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing with him.

Being given away totally for free to the kiddies were an ASR Fun & Games Book (which includes things like puzzles, colouring-in sections, and even teaching about the green cross code!) and also a pretty nifty Sonic hat... thingy. I dunno, it looks cool when you see someone wearing it. It has Sonic ears, that can only be good right? In addition, the ASR book has a competition to win a family trip to the Sonic room at Alton Towers. Way past cool.

As an obsessive Sonic fan, I just had to persuade the waiter to give me some of these freebies. I think the fact I had a Sonic t-shirt on at the time helped! That or he thought I was delusional for wanting a kids book and paper hat thingy and took pity on me.

Now, to silence the "pics or it didn't happen!" people:

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

Oh, and for anyone making use of the Ice Cream Factory at Pizza Hut, you can now even make your own Sonic ice cream! Yum.

DSC00123.jpg

No, the freebies aren't anything too special. But if you're thinking of going out for a meal and are a complete and utter Sonic nut, Pizza Hut is the place to go.

• Thumbs Up 4

How recently was this?

I have a Pizza Hut right across the street and am tempted to go in and check. Thing is, if I'm not even buying anything, what are the odds that they'll let me have the Sonic stuff if I just ask?

How recently was this?

I have a Pizza Hut right across the street and am tempted to go in and check. Thing is, if I'm not even buying anything, what are the odds that they'll let me have the Sonic stuff if I just ask?

This was literally last night. I don't know if it's the same for all Pizza Huts, but it must be a fairly recent thing as the deadline for the Alton Towers competition is October.

And they had the Sonic stuff up on the counter by the door in my local Pizza Hut, so maybe if you ask nicely you might get your hands on one (or be able to grab one while no one is looking). Obviously they'll be more willing if you actually buy something though, I would imagine.

I have two Pizza Hut's by me and they're both at the Merry Hill shopping centre. One is outdoors and one is in the mall. I think there is a third one in the Eat Central food court in the mall too :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Doctor MK! I'd have never noticed this, because I always order Domino's or go to Frankie and Benny's. I've had bad experiences with Pizza Hut, with both delivery from the Stourbridge store and in one of the Merry Hill restaurants. Not sure if I'll go get one though, I'd be embarassed to ask :lol:

By the way, what does the other side of the hat thing look like? Would you be able to take a pic of that please? :)

Right, just got back from my Pizza Hut, picked up four of them.

Interestingly, the covers are different to the one you posted, Doctor MK. The contents still appear to be the same, from what I can see, still. I'll grab a photo in a sec.

By the way, what does the other side of the hat thing look like? Would you be able to take a pic of that please? :)

There's nothing as such on the back of the hat. Just two flaps on either side that have little indents in them so you can adjust how tight a fit you want it to be for your head.

Here it is in all its glory:

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Right, just got back from my Pizza Hut, picked up four of them.

Interestingly, the covers are different to the one you posted, Doctor MK. The contents still appear to be the same, from what I can see, still. I'll grab a photo in a sec.

Different covers, eh? Very interesting.

I managed to grab three of the books/hats, would have tried for more but didn't see much point and felt highly embarrassed by that point anyway :lol:

Edited by Doctor MK

Image086.jpg

This makes me wonder how many covers there are. Let's investigate!

They were all at the door for mine, I just went in and grabbed them. :lol:

I actually wish I got more, now. I mean, I want to enter the contest with one, give one to Glenn, and then I'll only have TWO to keep! ohmy.gif

<s>(I also may want to actually complete one for fun >.> Although I could just use the one I cut the contest entry out of for that )</s>

Edited by Mahzes

Sonic in Pizza hut? That's so 90's. <3

Also loving the icecreams, but I feel something odd about the Sonic one, the only Sonicy (wut?) thing it have is the gumball eyes. :lol:

Having said that, the Tails one looks delicious :P (but only in looks because my lack of english doesn't let me know what it has... I will google it later).

EDIT: inb4 raeg about banjo and kazooie not being from sega

Edited by gato

Mahzes, what's that "The Tails Adventure" thing underneath/inside the book?

And did you get one of the Sonic hats?

Also, I've just noticed an inconsistency in the competition- the main page says the closing date is October 3rd, but the small print says November 26th.

Also, the small print mentions nothing about one entry per person. Oh dear. :lol:

Doctor MK: The Tails thing is the new issue of Sonic Universe that just arrived this morning. Yep, I got four of the hats, too.

I might go and pick up a couple more later, actually. >.>

Edited by Mahzes

Doctor MK: The Tails thing is the new issue of Sonic Universe that just arrived this morning. Yep, I got four of the hats, too.

I might go and pick up a couple more later, actually. >.>

Ahh I thought the Tails thing was a different freebie for a second there :lol:

If enough people get their hands on the Sonic hats, we could start a brand new fad! Heck, I want to go back and get some more too now!

Gosh, I can't believe I stumbled upon this. It's a world-first Doctor MK exclusive! :P

Haha good stuff! If only I liked Pizza (can't stand it...makes me sick!). Still if my friends want to go I could always have some Sonic Ice Cream or something. It's interesting as a few months ago, there was another Sega promotion - Jambo Safari. They did a little colouring book/crossword thing too, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any more Sega ones in the future (Yakuza 4? :P)

Thanks for the pics Doctor MK! Judging by the first pic of the hat, I thought the other side might be blue and Sonic like. Looks daft with the ASR logo on there. I can see they've left it white for kids to colour it in, but what's the point in putting Sonic's ears on it to make kids look like Sonic, if there is a giant ASR logo on it? :lol:

Thanks for the pics Doctor MK! Judging by the first pic of the hat, I thought the other side might be blue and Sonic like. Looks daft with the ASR logo on there. I can see they've left it white for kids to colour it in, but what's the point in putting Sonic's ears on it to make kids look like Sonic, if there is a giant ASR logo on it? :lol:

Just shameless promotion for the game, I guess. That or Sonic was so pleased that he had a game with positive reviews that he decided to tattoo the logo onto his head.

I agree though, an already coloured-in one would have been way cooler.

Haha, I just popped back to pick up a few more and a member of staff stopped me and said "You took some already, didn't you?" :lol:

I explained I was a fan and wanted them for collection purposes, he was cool with it and let me have a few more of each. Was still rather funny though. tongue.gif

Edited by Mahzes

Haha, I just popped back to pick up a few more and a member of staff stopped me and said "You took some already, didn't you?" :lol:

I explained I was a fan and wanted them for collection purposes, he was cool with it and let me have a few more of each. Was still rather funny though. tongue.gif

Naughty Mahzes! Leave some for the kiddies! :P

Yeah, we don't want a repeat of the Sonic stickers after all!! :lol:

Incidentally, Beat's character bio is totally not kid-friendly. It goes on about him running away from home, joining a gang, doing graffiti and being chased by police. Great role model there, kids!!

Edited by Mahzes

Yeah, we don't want a repeat of the Sonic stickers after all!! :lol:

Incidentally, Beat's character bio is totally not kid-friendly. It goes on about him running away from home, joining a gang, doing graffiti and being chased by police. Great role model there, kids!!

...wait, you have a Beat character bio? :huh:

My books only have Knuckles, Big and Alex Kidd (assuming you mean the "Meet *character*!" sections).

So I guess this confirms different covers = different stuff inside.

TIME TO COLLECT THEM ALL! :P

OH SNAP. D:

I'll try and scan the whole thing later, then. Can we try and confirm if the puzzles are different, or if it's just the bios?

I have:

Mini Race (puzzle)

Sonic Sudoku (puzzle)

Number Run (puzzle)

Street Wise (puzzle)

Beat (bio)

Contest

Squares (puzzle)

Colour in

Banjo & Kazooie (bio)

Spot the Difference (puzzle)

Dr. Eggman spoon race/ Dr. Eggman bio

Would suck if they're different for every region. My guess is that the staff have cases of different ones in the back and were meant to put a selection out, but they instead just grabbed a case and put all of the ones in that case alone out, thinking they're all the same. :rolleyes:

I have...

P2 - Hi There!, Skills Checklist, Driving License

P3 - Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing info

P4 - Banana Run (maze puzzle)

P5 - Colour In

P6 - Grid Challenge (puzzle), Knuckles bio

P7 - Street Wise (puzzle), Big bio

P8/9 - Alton Towers Competition

P10 - Rock, Paper, Scissors (game), Alex Kidd bio

P11 - Bombs & Bananas (game)

P12 - Scrambled Words (puzzle)

P13 - Shadow's Shuttle Run (game)

P14 - Answers

P15 - ICE CREAM!

So yes, looks like there are different things inside different books :o

This really makes me wonder how many versions of the book there are. Assuming all 20 characters have bios, we're looking at what, five or so?

This really makes me wonder how many versions of the book there are. Assuming all 20 characters have bios, we're looking at what, five or so?

I guess we'll have to wait and see if other people from different parts of the country pick up anything different to what we've already seen.

So, calling all UK Sonic fans - head for your nearest Pizza Hut and check out the consoles freebies! Even if you don't find anything different, your efforts will be rewarded with a paper Sonic hat :P