Awoo.

A few of my favourite odd bits from STC

Badnik Mechanic

So I've been doing something with all my Sonic the Comics and it's resulted in me skim reading them all again. Now whilst doing it I found a few odd moments and little things that the writers/artists put into some of the strips. Now STC did include Sonic into some of their non sonic strip as well as a number of cameos and appearences of other things. For example, in one of the final issues we see Amy and Sonic in Sonics bedroom... it's filled with old STC's, 2000AD comics, Star Trek references as well as some references to some of the staff on the comic too. This wasn't unusual sometimes they would do this in many sonic and non sonic strips. In a lot of the early issues, Sonic himself made cameos...

However... whilst doing some reading, I found a few 'things' that made me do a bit of a double take. Some of them are down to you the reader, if you see it then you won't see anything else, but a few which are a little hard to dismiss. Especially when you combine all the 'ow er' moments that you find. Deliberate or not, looking back... they're hilarious. So I found my top 3 which really stuck out in my mind. Mainly because these 3 are some of the earliest issues and from 1993, so times were quite different with language and what was appropriate and what was taboo.

Trooper Badnik says "Shit"

Please remember, this is 1993. People saying shit and fuck is NOT common, it's VERY taboo. Even on TV you'd find it hard to find this language. Even post watershead versions of Robocop were being redubbed so that they cut out words like "asshole" which would later be redubbed to "Airhead." And this is a childrens comic... So it shouldn't be in there full stop... I can't remember the issue number on this one, but I can remember the title, it comes from a strip called "Mega-Tox" Basically Sonic goes to the chemical plant zone to rescue some of his friends. On the way he encounters a trooper badnik, and spin attacks him. However the trooper thinks he's missed him and laughs. But Sonic has actually gone through him leaving a huge hole... so what is the troopers dying words?

troopershit.jpg

"Oh Skkkkkit"

Oh Skkkkkit? Wait... did he just say... or try to say what I think he said? Was that a robots dying cry of OH SHIT!!? It's kinda personal opinion, do you think they tried to include a nughty word? Or did they not? Well... if you're still on the fence about it... how about this!

Wonderboy tells the demons what he did to their King! Issue 8.

In this issue Wonderboy finally defeats the Demon King Grimomen and saves the semi naked men from being turned into demons in the demon pit... suddenly a bunch of demons descend down and demand to know where

Grimomen is. So how does WonderBoy reply?

wonderboy3.jpg

Wow... doesn't hold back does he. "I killed the lowlife son of a....." So... who wants to hazzard a guess at what the rest of that line was? Ok so today this isn't such a controversial thing. But remember... it's 1993... Whilst son of a bitch wouldn't result in a redub on ITV, it would most likely get you a slap of your Grandma or Grandad, depending how drunk he was. So... is it controversial or not? Mmmm hard to say, today it's nothing, but don't forget, so far in this stirp it's been very family friendly, a kid fighting monsters, with magic, no blood and guts unlike the much more mature Golden Axe strip and Streets of Rage strip. Those are clearly comic strips much more mature readers, but this one comes a bit out of nowhere. Still, it's a funny little line to see though.

Ok then, so those two are a bit down to you and if you think they're there or not... So then... how about this...

Wonderboy finds out what happened to Sonic

So... it's Issue 7. Wonderboy has tracked down Grimomen to his demon pit and is horrified to find the semi naked men being turned into demons, some begging Wonderboy for help... others asking him to put them out of their misery for good.

Wonderboy1.jpg

So here he goes, the final walk to comfront the boss... What horrors could be at the bottom of the pit? What fiendish horrors could await him... Well FEAST YOUR EYES ON THIS!

wonderboy2.jpg

Decapitated Sonic with part of a spine and a dismembered foot! What the hell!? Where did that comes from! lol How did Sonic get eaten exactly! This... is... COOL! Oh but wait... you think that the Sonic body parts is the best thing about this picture? Well yes... but theres something else... and no I'm not talking about the skulls. Look at the crotch area of the Grimomen.... He has 2... things... Ok... maybe they're not what you think they are... they are a bit high, maybe they're some kind of claws! After all he should have them in the other issues right!

WRONG!

wonderland4.jpg

No demon Pingas there! And... in other issues he's actually wearing an armour plate in that spot! But no... now he's all laid back in his demon king throne eating Sonic and letting it all hang out! Ok... it might not be that, maybe it's just part of his body, he is a demon after all... but still... Decapitated Sonic! I bet you didn't expect that one.

So yeah... those are just three things that I found from quickly reading STC that made me chuckle. Does anyone out there know of any other odd moments that appeared... preferably strange moments?

Edited by Gnasher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am disappoint. You made out dead Sonic to be much worse.

Oh right... So his head and partial spine with a severed foot isn't bad?

Not to mention the puddle of blood 0_o

As for the swearing Trooper, LOL! Looks like Ivo programmed them with naughty vocabulary!

Is that a SNES above Sonic? :blink: It's too bright to be a Megadrive. Maybe they were showing how evil Grimomen is by giving him an SNES?

Ah and I thought

03.jpg

the robots nazi saluting is pretty funny :lol:

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not as bad as I was expecting. D=

While it's definitely more than what you'd see in Archie, it's not that impacting. I thought that dismembered head and foot would be more gruesome. It looks more like a Sonic doll that was pulled apart in my opinion.

Archie Sonic actually said a censored "Why you sonuva..." on many many occasions. Not to mention the fat joke one-liners that came out of that comic.

I think "Flabio" was my favorite.

I've been reading my old Archies and I remember one moment where a mechanical Fiona Fox nearly drowns Tails while he tries to tell him he loves her, and he's like begging for his life. If it weren't for the otherwise lightness of the series, that would have been a pretty sadistic moment for a kid's comic.

I've been rereading STC from the top lately, and more than anything, I've noticed that quite a few of the replies in Speedlines have been a bit... edgy? Some have bordered on insulting the people who wrote them, whereas the one I remember in particular is them asking a reader when they realised they had a foot fetish in response to them asking to see Sonic drawn barefoot. D: