Awoo.

PSP Topic

Sega DogTagz

I’ll be pretty much upfront about this. I got some cash to blow and I am looking at a lot of free time in the next couple of months. Among other things I have decided to go ahead and buy a PSP system.

While sitting in my local Gamestop, looking at the advertisement for the KH Birth By Sleep PSP Combo package, I figured that that would be the way to go. After taking a look at Amazon, and seeing a brand new PSPgo retail for the same price ($200), I am kind of at a loss.

I know the PSPgo is the newer of the two, and it is full on digital, but that’s where my knowledge of the two pretty much ends. Buying the 3000 model would save me 40 bucks (cause I’d probably still buy KH anyway) but price is only a novelty at this point. So I am asking those of you who have a PSP system, which one is the way to go?

The PSPgo will have more resale value for when the next one comes out, but the 3000 benefits from having a selection of used games which would be off-limits to the Go’s fully online library. Does the PSPgo get its online titles the same day they are released for the 3000? What does the back catalog look like?

If you guys could share your opinions, I’d be stoked. And since I know some of you will want to pitch a few games, than go ahead with that as well. For the record, Valkyria Chronicles II is a lock for me already. (and at least 1 if not both Rivals tittles)

Edited by Sega DogTagz

3000 3000 3000 3000 3000 3000 3000. Times 1 million. The 3000 is just as capable of playing PSN games as the Go is, so pretty much everything about the Go is a negative (even more so than when it launched).

In the Go:

You can't swap the batteries, so when the battery runs low (which happens in about 4 1/2 hours on both the 3000 and the Go) you can't swap it out with another one and you can't buy a larger battery to extend the life. It is more fragile because the exterior housing is the frame (the 3000 has a metal backbone chassis that everything is mounted on). The screen is smaller. The more compact control scheme doesn't work for some games, and the analog nub is even more useless than it is on the normal PSP. Games on PSN are usually more expensive than they are at normal stores (especially after a couple of months), plus all of the normal problems with digital distribution; and on the Go you have no option otherwise. All of the connector cables are proprietary nonsense (think Apple and you aren't far off) compared to the more standard ones that the 3000 for the most part used (like the standard USB Mini-B cord used to connect to computers). And finally, memory prices have dropped so much in the past 6 months that you can buy an honest-to-god 16gb memory sticks for about $40 (never mind adapters, which slash about $15+ off that), completely eliminating the expansion space advantage that the Go had when it originally launched.

All of these detriments basically go against:

The Go is physically smaller (which, again, wrecks some of the controls and forces the screen size down) and the Go has Bluetooth functionality (which drains the battery like a mother if you ever actually use it).

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

The PSPGo is just a very poorly planned PSP upgrade that does away with the UMD slot. The PSP has a sordid history with many users just buying the console and pirating the games, the Go was a play by Sony to ensure users HAD to pay for their games. The problem was the design was poor, most PSP owners saw right through Sony and the added memory the only real positive selling point. Though Sony have been reduced to offering tons of games with the Go (in the UK currently Sony offer 10 free games with the console. Though it smacks of desperation to me...)

ANY PSP model can do just about everything the Go does, they can access PSN, you can download any game as you want. Owning any console doesn't matter in that regard, just make sure you get a memory card with a decent amount of space.

While the Sony shop prices are not *terrible* - more often than not PSP titles are more expensive as downloads, than they are in retail. Plus because the PSP isn't horribly popular, game prices tend to plummet very quickly, plus PSP's with UMD drives can run imports (as long as they are not UMD movies) .

As for games

LocoRoco 1+ 2 (easily one of the best games on the system, as long as you can handle the cute)

Patapon 1 + 2 (PON PON PATA PON)

Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? (Funny platformer spin off from Disgea - though be warned its VERY HARD)

Final Fantasy: Dissida (FF fighter, lots of my friends adore this one, not played it myself yet...)

Little Big Planet (it's not as amazing as it's PS3 big brother but its still a lovely title)

MegaMan Powered Up (remake of MM1 with adorable chibi style, can replay the game as all the robot masters in-game + Roll!)

• Thumbs Up 1

plus PSP's with UMD drives can run imports (as long as they are not UMD movies) .

I forgot all about that. The normal PSP is region free in regards to games with only a handful of specific exceptions (and I'm pretty sure there are only two of them). The PSP Go is also technically region free because it can be linked with any PSN region, but it is so annoying to actually link it to other PSN regions that it really isn't even worth doing. And you might say you don't want to import anything, but you would be surprised how many PSP games end up being only released in certain regions. The third game I bought for my PSP (Ridge Racer 2) only came out in Japan and Europe, so I had to import a copy off of eBay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Take a PSP3000, stick a 16 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo into it, and BAM!, you have yourself a PSPGo, with a UMD drive.

Seriously, just get a 3000 and whatever capacity Memory Stick you can afford after said purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

I forgot all about that. The normal PSP is region free in regards to games with only a handful of specific exceptions (and I'm pretty sure there are only two of them). The PSP Go is also technically region free because it can be linked with any PSN region, but it is so annoying to actually link it to other PSN regions that it really isn't even worth doing. And you might say you don't want to import anything, but you would be surprised how many PSP games end up being only released in certain regions. The third game I bought for my PSP (Ridge Racer 2) only came out in Japan and Europe, so I had to import a copy off of eBay.

Other PSP games evade my memory in terms of import, but isn't Patapon 2 download only in the states? It got a UMD release here, and I own the Twinbee Collection that was only released in japan, which had like 3 twinbee arcade titles and a graphical update of the Game Boy title (I believe also Salamander Collection is Japan only too)

It should also be noted that the PSP is FANTASTIC for retro compilations and some rarer PS2 title re-releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

There has been a lot of talk that the game you wanted, Kingdom Hearts, will not even be released on PSN.

• Thumbs Up 1

Other PSP games evade my memory in terms of import, but isn't Patapon 2 download only in the states? It got a UMD release here, and I own the Twinbee Collection that was only released in japan, which had like 3 twinbee arcade titles and a graphical update of the Game Boy title (I believe also Salamander Collection is Japan only too)

I'm pretty sure it was. Sony was really obnoxious about it too, because they sold it in stores in a regular game case which only had a card with a download code on it.

It should also be noted that the PSP is FANTASTIC for retro compilations and some rarer PS2 title re-releases.

Yes. Plus remakes/reimaginings of classic games.

The Go is a horrible horrible piece of slag that should be avoided at all costs. Pretty much everyone here's already covered why it sucks.

And of course I'm going to recommend the Rivals games, with emphasis on the second and it's brilliant level design.

I would suggest a 2000 if you can come by one. Easier to hack and doesn't have that screen problem that the 3000 does (the scan-lines being noticeable.) Also you can get component wires to hook up the 2000/3000 to your flat screen tv (Idk if the GO has that). Not to mention that the 3000 and below models us a standard usb to usb mini cable, same as the DS3's for the ps3, while the Go uses a different USB which is pretty useless outside of using it for the Go since it has a different design.

With the 3000 and below models you have a choice of downloading your games from psn, or buying the UMD. The Go's download only is kind of a downer, not to mention the weird positioning of the analog nub, which makes playing games like Metal Gear and Monster Hunter weird and uncomfortable. Also as Tornado said, you can obtain a 16gb memory stick for cheaper these days so the Go's built-in 16gb flash memory is useless now XD.

I'll echo a lot of the sentiments so far in saying that, well... isn't the PSP Go just a bit of a joke?

PSPgo is a load of wank, no one buys them in our store (we have two new in stock lol on black and one whiteand then a couple of traded in ones) because everyone gets a 3000 instead. Only person I can remember selling one two was a really spoiled kid who threw a fit...then traded it in for a 3000 a few weeks later XD

The PSPgo is pointless.

I have a S&L which is also damn good.

• Thumbs Up 1

PSPGO sucks!!!!11

Thats all im hearing right now. Hell, I have a PSPGo and hey, I'M not ashamed to have one. Hell, im REALLY surprised you didn't even mention homebrew yet!

But in any case, didn't the PSP 3000 have scanline problems? But really though, it depends.

• Thumbs Up 1

Easier to hack and doesn't have that screen problem that the 3000 does (the scan-lines being noticeable.)

The 2000 has its own, more serious screen problems. Other than the scanlines, the 3000 screen is better in every way (and scanlines are usually only noticeable in sprite-based games). It doesn't have motion blur at all, the contrast is worlds better and the 3000 can be hooked up to any kind of TV (whereas the 2000 can only be hooked up to HDTVs). The 2000 is better due to homebrew, but if you could do homebrew to the same extent on the 3000 I wouldn't even consider using a 2000.

Thats all im hearing right now.

Well, there really isn't any reason to say otherwise. I wouldn't even consider a Go if it had a price parity with the 3000, because there is very little reason to. And as it stands now, with an $80 price difference (which I know doesn't apply to the OP), I might as well just buy a 3000 and buy a 32GB memory stick (or twin 16GB MicroSDHC cards, an adapter and a game) instead.

But in any case, didn't the PSP 3000 have scanline problems? But really though, it depends.

The Go has them as well. They are just harder to notice/less frequent because the screen is smaller. I've played Disgaea on a Go and they still come in pretty bad.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thats all im hearing right now. Hell, I have a PSPGo and hey, I'M not ashamed to have one. Hell, im REALLY surprised you didn't even mention homebrew yet!

It's not that the PSPGo is bad in terms of operation, its like all the other PSP's in that regard

The problem is that Sony didn't really take previous titles into consideration when they changed the size and orientation of the controls. Plus you are locked into paying Sony's prices for games, thats maybe not so much an issue for stuff like PSP Minis which are only available on PSN - but when there's a £5+ difference between Sony's price and retail costs for a UMD - wouldn't you feel kind of cheated?

Whereas with PSP-1000-3000 you can pick and choose if your willing to pay Sony's price, or prefer to find a cheaper alternative. Essentially the Go gives the customer less freedom, that sort of ploy only works if you add something to make up for taking away a feature (for example the DSi took away the GBA slot and added a camera, improved system OS and DSiWare). The only thing Sony added was memory...

At the end of the day, if you don't mind playing by Sony's rules, all the power to you! It's just your wallet takes one for the team at the end of the day

• Thumbs Up 1

0_o

Kinda a landslide on that one. Heh, and here I was leaning toward the go. Well thanks for beating that notion out of my head guys. :lol:

While I am here, I might as well ask another question of you guys. The KH PSP bundle comes with a 4 gig memory stick, but I have no concept of how far that will get me. I plan on buying a decent number of games for the unit (lets say around 6 for now), so how far will 4 gigs get me as far as game saves go?

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Unless you put a lot of music and stuff on it, it's more than enough. I still have my 32MB card and have more than 10 games.

Pick the 3000. As others have said, region free, used games. You can still download games (Provided you will need space on your memory stick for it.) Also, some games don't launch online the same day they hit UMD. LittleBigPlanet, for instance, was about 3 weeks late to the party for download. Also, good choice with Birth by Sleep, but I do have to make a recommendation. If you somehow find Dead Head Fred, by all means, buy it. It is worth it, and a new copy can run you only $20.

EDIT- As with the memory stick, for now, it'll be fine, but usually the bundles come with a movie, and if it's like the Metal Gear bundle, it'll be a download, which will probably eat up about 2 gigs. Hell, I only use my 2 gig card, and I have Crazy Taxi downloaded on it, and some mp3's (for Crazy Taxi, mainly), and the Peace Walker data install (small), and I still have a somewhat decent chunk of data (over 500 megs). So for now, 4 gigs should be fine, but eventually, you may want to get another one that's at least 2 gigs to it. The reason I still have all that space left is that I prefer physical media to downloads, but yeah, 4 gig should be plenty for a little while.

Edited by GameFarnsworth940
  • Thumbs Up 1

The KH PSP bundle comes with a 4 gig memory stick, but I have no concept of how far that will get me. I plan on buying a decent number of games for the unit (lets say around 6 for now), so how far will 4 gigs get me as far as game saves go?

Depend on what you will be doing with it. If you plan on buying physical copies and using the memory stick for saves, you will never need more than gig. If you don't, it is a judgment call on your part.

Most PSP games are around 400-600 MB, with the more recent heavy hitters (Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, etc.) being closer to 900MB+. A handful of games also have an install option (Gran Turismo does, for example. One of the Final Fantasy games has one as well), that takes up about 700 MB or so. If you want to download games off of PSN mainly, I would spring for a 16GB Memory Stick ($45-ish) or an adapter and 16GB of MicroSDHC to put in it ($35-ish). If not, you will be fine with 4GB.

Edited by Tornado

On the PSP go you can play with a PS3 controller. The PSP go is much more technically advanced and the screen is much better. The only flaw is that it cannot play UMD's.

I would go with the go since it has built in memory and the whole PS3 controller deal, but if you like to buy used games then I would suggest the 3000.

On the PSP go you can play with a PS3 controller. The PSP go is much more technically advanced and the screen is much better. The only flaw is that it cannot play UMD's.

I would go with the go since it has built in memory and the whole PS3 controller deal, but if you like to buy used games then I would suggest the 3000.

Well, keep in mind that Sega DogTagz wants Birth by Sleep, and that's not coming to PSP Go yet, if even at all.