Awoo.

Flint

deathwingsmall.png

We all know what the hell this one is, being the world's most popular MMO and all, and in all likelihood there's a fair few people here who like to spend their time on Azeroth. Here we can share all our tales from our adventures, whines about how your class always gets the nerfed to the ground, Cataclysm freakout, links to random crap, heated debates on whether conjured strudels taste better than chocolate cake, marvel at the glory of Epicus Maximus and naturally discuss general news. And let's not do the whole inane Alliance vs Horde here, orcs and humans can frolic hand in hand in love here.

(I'm aware there is a millennia-old topic about Cataclysm in the dusts of history here but after a discussion with one of the resident awesomemods here, we came to the decision that it's best to start the whole thing from scratch rather than resurrect an old corpse and twist it to a new shape)

In an attempt to start discussion: anyone doing something special now that Cataclysm is about to explode the world? Any last minute attempts at experiencing everything the Old World has to offer before it all gets changed, or are you just living your daily lives? And come Cataclysm, what's everyone's plans? Rolling a worgoblin immediately, enjoying the new race/class combinations instead or checking the new high-level content at first.

I've got my main, a dwarf hunter, running around the Old World doing various achievements. I became best buddies with the bears of Timbermaw Hold some time ago, after which I began to volley-spam through dungeons in order to get Classic Dungeonmaster. I finished that earlier this week, after which I went insane and started doing Loremaster. I'm currently nearly finishing Eastern Kingdoms with about 140 quests to do and several zones to find quests from, after which I'll head to Kalimdor where I have significantly more to do.

Of course, I am being distracted by my two focus alts at the moment. I've got a draenei paladin currently in Outland where she's busy killing things in One Of The Best Places In The Game (or Nagrand) and I'm absolutely addicted to playing as her, bloody fun. Then there's my human mage who's 77 and who I'm trying to get to 80 before Cata and who's having significantly less fun doing so because after playing with the paladin the frostbolt-frostbolt-frostbolt-frostbolt-ice lance-frostbolt-frostbolt-frostbolt rotation is rather tedious. And leveling tailoring is a pain.

Come Cata, I've no idea really what to start with. I'm going to roll a worgen (rogue) but I might wait till the first rush is over and instead just focus on the high-level content at first. Eventually I'll be creating a dwarf shaman as well for three reasons: 1) I want to see more of the old world's changes that my worgen didn't get the chance to see 2) because I have a tauren shaman who I love but never play with so I might as well roll another shammy, and 3) I'll probably be racechanging my dwarf main into a worgen eventually (<.<) so I'd like to have another little man.

Anyway, your turn. Discuss whatever, the choice is yours.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 2

I haven't played WoW properly in about seven months. I came back after four months to discover my guild had imploded, so I left again. :(

When I come back for Cata I'll be migrating to a new server methinks. Agamaggan EU sucks ass at everything and is too quiet.

Which server are you guys currently on? :o

I'm hanging about in Shadowsong (EU, naturally).

I've noticed that the RealID system is a bleedin' great thing, provided you have some trustworthy friends playing the game. Can chat with peeps if you feel like it no matter which server you are on, kills some of the occasional quiet when soloing/grinding/etc.

My guild seems to have imploded a bit during my few month absence. It was a bustling thing right before I took a break, came back later and it's quiet with hardly anyone on. That said, loads of the GMs are still in the roster but just haven't played the game in a month or so and generally there's a lot of peeps still in the roster, so mayhaps everyone's just taking a summer break at the exact same time.

Edited by Flint

Spent faaaaaaar too many hours on this game. Start off playing a Human Paladin. Got Lucifron and Maggy down in MC, then got bored when the raid leaders couldn't organise a raid for shit. Made my troll hunter alt my main, with his infamous pet scorpid Barry.

Favourite moment from raiding MC was when I was nominated to do the pet pull on Baron Geddon. It was only my second or third time doing it so didn't fully understand the nuances of doing it. Send my pet in as per usual, then 10 seconds later all you hear me say over vent is "Uh oh".

"Uh oh 'What'? say the raid leaders.

"Er, you'll see..."

Baron Geddon comes round the corner, raid moves in to position to attack him. A few seconds later Shazzrah appears round the corner to join in the fun. Raid wipes, lots of shouting at me, banned from doing pet pulls again and Barry seals his reputation as Worst Pet in Guild. This was back when pets were completely useless in raids, so I never bothered getting a pet with Dash. Which helps immensely with pet pulls.

When I did finally get myself a cat, I gave it the same name as the main tank, which resulted in much lulz as it messed up macros.

Cleared MC, then started Blackwing Lair, which to this day, I still hold to be the best raid instance in the game, with Razorgore being my favourite encounter. Having to kite those big bad adds around was as fun as it got being a hunter back then.

TBC came, started playing but lost interest after a few months. Got back into it about a year later with a human warrior on an RP realm (lol). Was my first level 80 when WotLK came out. Ended up solo tanking Kel'Thuzad because I'm just that fucking good. Then lost interest when I had guild leadership foisted upon me and the guild was at the point where Naxx was becoming to easy but we didn't have the gear to do

Cata looks sexy, but I really don't want to start playing again.

Ever.

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who hasn't played this game nor am I planning to xD

I haven't been playing in a long long time, but I might check it out again after Cataclysm drops. If I do so, you can find me at Emerald Dream (EU).

My brother still plays on a regular basis, so I haven't been totally in the dark about all the chances that have been put in in anticipation of Cataclysm. I guess I'll watch him play a bit when it drops to see if maybe I'll buy a ticket to Azeroth again as well.

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who hasn't played this game nor am I planning to xD

I said nearly the exact same thing back in the day, and I thought I was quite content with playing Guild Wars for a awhile. Later after hearing more about WoW, I started looking into it more. Next thing I know I'm on a private server with a lvl. 41 Shaman unleashing my never ending rage on the creatures of Azeroth; making large sums of gold auctioning off the junk I acquired from my enemies' corpses.

Cataclysm looks freaking amazing, too bad the private server I'm on isn't even at WotLK yet. :(

Edited by Nix

After some time from WoW, I returned on my one and only character (that I play on anyhow). I play a gnome mage on Kazzak (EU) called Dizzey.

Ever since two of my friends dragged me along into the game, I never saw what was special. It felt quite dull. The only thing that seemed fun was how amazingly large the whole place was. You could run forever without having to wait for loading screens, and it simply felt like another true reality. That, and your levels and items in your bags and whatnot were always there when you logged back in to play, which was new to me.

What I found dull was having to level up and so. It felt like it took a long time, even at such a low level, and the fact that I was eager to go back to Half-Life did not make it easier. What was really fun however was running around naked in Ironforge with my friends and dance, and see the people we chased to mount up on their horses and flee.

After I reached level 7, one of my friends took me through dangerous lands in order to bring me to another low-level zone. It was a so-called hostile territory, and I was about to experience something awesome about World of Warcraft. Apparently, there was another playable alliance consisting of other more evil-looking races, and they were the enemy of our own alliance. I would be the naked dancing bait to lure some of them to attack me in Silverpine Forest, and my much-higher-leveled friends would pop out of nowhere and one-shot them down (we were all mages). It scared the crap out of me every time I saw an enemy player with his level tag showing a skull instead of his actual level, meaning being 10+ levels above me, but it was also priceless. We went to the main entrance of Undercity, and my two friends told me to wait there as they would go inside, and I would just hear them talk to each other and say "oh shit, watch out for that huge arse guard!"

To type in a less pathetic way, I more enjoyed fooling around and doing world-based PvP (player versus player). The motivation of leveling up was simply to be able to fight back at all the other players who would kill me in one hit and simply do so over and over again, not letting me go away. It was also to achieve the highest level possible in order to protect lower level allies who suffered the same thing as I did back then.

World of Warcraft can be extremely fun, but it may also become really addicting to you. I feel that the way I am playing the game, I could easily take breaks whenever I would want, contrary to those who need to raid with guilds every day and so and etc.

Flying around is awesome.

Guildless though. ^^;

I agree with Flint. Nagrand is awesome, and so is its music. Kind of feels like Outland's answer to Ashenvale.

I'm probably going to get back into the game for awhile with cataclysm, but I'll be either playing on an oceanic server or a US one. :S Woe is I! not living in Europe.

I've only played that one week demo or so of the game last year. I was a nightelf hunter if I remember correctly. Maybe a rouge, I can't really put my finger on it. Either way, it was loads of fun, and I got super addicted. I've been on the fence for quite some time now about paying for a subscription thingy, but I always just tell myself I'll hold off until Cataclysm, since I'll want to play as the wolfy-Worgen as soon as it comes out anyhooters. Don't really care if I miss out the current map since it's changing and stuffs.

However, kinda afraid of my own habits. Gotta get this college stuff down, and I know there will be times where I chose to play WoW over doing homework. Plus, I need a wired connection down here anyways if I want an experience that isn't broken up every 2 hours.

-Blur

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Operation Gnomeregan and Reclamation of Echo Isles are now up and out. Can't speak for the troll funfest but liberating Gnomeregan is a bloody fun(ny) and epic event. It's only a small thing but man, it just feels so genuinely epic and fun. Especially with countless other players around you (shame they don't shut up though with their crappy jokes and the occasional tightass acting like a tough guy leader). Anyone else enjoying the events?

I started playing WoW earlier this year, and was hooked on it for a few months. Got my Night Elf Hunter to about level 45 and then all of a sudden just stopped playing. I don't know what it was. I think I just hit a brick wall with my leveling and became disinterested.

If anybody knows a fun place to be as a level 45, let me know, as I still have a few months on my subscription that I should probably not waste O:

There aren't really many superfun leveling spots in the old endgame. Tanaris, Dustwallow Marsh, Hinterlands and Feralas should suit you for 45-50 and after that it's the Plaguelands, Un'Goro, Winterspring etc. Alternatively check the list of zones for ones you find interesting visually/thematically and go frolic there.

The thing is though, you're only only 13 levels from Outland and the old world leveling is a ridiculously fast breeze these days (especially with a class like hunter) so it's not really a chore these days.4 45-58 has always been a bit of an annoying churn for me but my most recent character, the paladin, went by them in a ridiculous speed thanks to all the edits Blizz has made to speed up the old world leveling. So I wouldn't give up right now.

Edited by Flint

• 2 months later...

It went live today - or if you're European it'll be live by noon tomorrow. :o

The expansion proper is out in two weeks for those of us already at Level 80, but if you're someone who's never played World of Warcraft, or hasn't played in a long time, today's the day to start.

So I'm going to race change to holy cow and roll a Troll Warlock. :3

What will you guys be doing? :D

I actually wanna have a look to see now... only problem is I DON'T PLAY ANYMORE

Blizz have told me I have 7 Free Days, but I dunno if it's worth downloading/installing Vanilla WoW AND TBC AND Patches just so I can go "oh look ,everything went not how it used to be"

I started playing WoW in TBC. Still my favorite era of WoW; had the best boss fights/instances ect...

Is anyone actually buying Cataclysm day 1?

I'm not subscribed atm and don't even have a decent PC/Laptop to play on. My WoW friends (whom I've met IRL a couple of times now) and I are too broke to afford the expansion.

Anyone else met your WoW friends IRL?

Edited by Light

So, are the altered worldspaces worth coming back to see? I'm kind of out of touch with WoW these days, so is Cataclysm going to actually change any gameplay other than race/class combos or is it just adding more grind to the top for people at the maximum level? I never really liked how the entire game was focused entirely on rushing to the level cap as efficiently as possible rather than actually playing.

I've also long since lost my CD keys and forgot my login so I'd have to buy WoW, TBC, and WotLK again but I've got to admit it's tempting even if I told myself I wasn't going back after the last time I quit.

(Also it'd be nice to have an excuse to wear my Illidan and For The Horde shirts again.)

Putting it simply without going into fine detail, the entire Lv 1-60 levelling experience has been streamlined and rewritten from scratch to match the changed landscape. Some areas are more heavily altered than others, and the level ranges of certain zones have been changed completely.

Basically, it's World of Warcraft 2 in all but name.

• 2 years later...

I love WoW. I've been playing since it first came out. I've yet to get a character passed level 67 though. I always get so boredom playing the character when the leveling gets slower, and I end up making about 5 new ones, four of which I probably won't even look at ever again.

• 1 year later...

Well, I caved and bought a month of subscription time of World of Warcraft. I'm getting surgery on the 17th and knew that I'd need an mmo to pass the time during recovery. What better game then WoW!

I guess you can label me as an og wow player, since I played when the game was released in 2004. I've played off and on since BC however.

So does anyone still play?

Edited by Diz
Topic Merge: WoW: Anyone still play? -> The World of Warcraft topic

I used to play on the Private Servers (Molten Wow) back in the Lich King days. Now that I have a decent job, I don't mind spending the monthly fee to play.

Also, I've played GW2 and to be honest it still doesn't even come close to WoW. It was fun, but WoW has that certain 'It' factor. I just can't explain it.