Awoo.

"Seven things you (probably) didn't know..."

Diogenes

So this went up earlier today, with some small but interesting bits of info:

1) Dr. Eggman has built his park after developing a sense of remorse for his past “indiscretions”. Hmm… a likely story.

2) At one point in an early cutscene Sonic “breaks the fourth wall” and talks directly to the gamer.

3) SA-55, the round red robot also known as “Ergo” by fans who appeared in Sonic Unleashed will return, but slightly more jaded than before. Oh and by the way SA-55 ISN’T his name… his name is actually “Orbot”

4) Orbot also has a counterpart this game… who we’ll be revealing next week.

5) Tails’ “Miles Electric” handheld device that appeared in Sonic Unleashed makes a re-appearance.

6) The boss you have already likely seen from Tropical Resort Dr. Eggman refers to as the “Big Boy”.

7) The curly haired white Wisp is important to the Colours story and its name is…. something you’ll have to tune in next week to find out!

So, hey! "Ergo" is back, apparently (...red robot?)! Eggman will actually have someone to talk to again! Maybe two someones, depending on what he meant by "counterpart". At any rate, this is good news; they're actually working with existing characters instead of dumping them at the drop of a hat.

I'm a bit worried about that breaking the fourth wall bit, tho'...it wouldn't be the first time Sonic's done it, but it's something that can go bad real fast depending on how it's done.

Where did everyone get Ergo from anyway?
It's from this scene; since he didn't have a name, and it's his most recognizable scene, it just kind of stuck.

So I guess we can take SA-55 as his model name, and Orbot as given name? SA-55 Orbot. The bots from Vectorman were also Orbots, hey.

Edited by Dabnikz

Eww, SA-55's new name sucks. The old one was WAY better >_>

EDIT: or what the above poster said. That works

Edited by Aquaslash

SA-55-Er I mean "Orbot". Wait does that mean he's related to this thing? Orbinaut-spr.png

You do not know the sheer joy he brings to my heart and soul knowing he is returning. Also I love how most of this update is about Eggman. I am pleased, I love my Big Boy.

• Thumbs Up 1

If "Orbot" (I'm adjusting) transforms into a giant robot mech with a sense of dry sarcasm and world laws I will love this game forever.

Though I already do in mere concept for several reasons. But I mean more-so. In Unleashed Wii version he only appeared in cutscenes and in the 360 version he piloted robots. Also I wonder who is companion is... So much curiosity and for some reason built up giddiness inside me. You don't realize just how much I LOVED "Orbot".

So....Orbit will have a new voice too I'm guessing.

D8

Actually I'm not sure. Guess we have to see soon but I mean they just got his voice actor not too long ago, would they really need to change that? And now that he seems to be becoming a main character would he really need a voice change since he's fairly new? I mean his voice was fine and recent, I don't see the reason to change it especially since he was only in one game prior.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

omgomgomgomg this is all incredibly awesome.

Eggman giving an unlikely excuse for building the park? Yes!

Sonic breaks the fourth wall? Yes!

SA-55 is back?! Yes! I love that guy!

SA-55 has some a counterpart of sorts?! Orbot Nega? An Egg Pawn with a mustache? The return of Dark Omochao, perhaps? Yes!

The MilesElectric is back?! That was one of Tails' niftiest little trinkets ever. Yes!

There is just about nothing that I dislike about this game.* It's all just too awesome! I love you, Sonikku Chimu-sama.

*The only problem I have is that the DS and Wii versions have different stories. But even that could be changed into a plus if they manage to work together without making a mess of the continuity - like how Mario & Sonic 2 DS took place before the Wii version for example.

What? You mean, my dream of a recurring sidekick for Eggman has come true, and it's actually going to be SA-55? Yosh.

I seriously hope that Eggman makes a big repentance speech that lists off a bunch of things that he's done in previous games... y'know, blowing up the moon, building the Death Egg, enslaving animals, tearing the Earth apart, destroying Station Square, nearly destroying the space-time continuum... the more things he mentions, the funnier and continuity-nod-ier it'll be. Bonus points if he mentions the events of '06 and nobody else knows what he's talking about.

...and the MilesElectric, eh? I really liked that little gizmo, and any subtle callback to a previous game is cause to celebrate as far as I'm concerned. This game, man. I am seriously excited.

Also about Orbot's partner... Could it be one of those Sonic robots? I would actually laugh if Eggman has a crew of Sonic "Dolls" on him and they all act like ore robot versions of Sonic... Maybe I'm pushing it but it's a possibility as for the person who works with Eggman and Orbot to be "Sonic Doll".

This bits of info were really good, it shows that Sonic Team is not re-booting the franchise again... I would really appreciate if this trend continues and expands to future games.

Also, hoping this (not so) new team of writers they hired manage to deliver some awesome "4th wall breaking". :)

Also about Orbot's partner... Could it be one of those Sonic robots? I would actually laugh if Eggman has a crew of Sonic "Dolls" on him and they all act like ore robot versions of Sonic... Maybe I'm pushing it but it's a possibility as for the person who works with Eggman and Orbot to be "Sonic Doll".

I doubt it, since he mentions "a" counterpart, and there's at least two (and maybe more) robo-Sonics; the counterpart is most likely something unique or something related to Orbot.

I doubt it, since he mentions "a" counterpart, and there's at least two (and maybe more) robo-Sonics; the counterpart is most likely something unique or something related to Orbot.

...Burrowbot-shot- (though in all honesty I keep on imagining a pink female Orbot but come on, that couldn't be it nor does it make sense)

Though he says next week so guess we'll see.

That's it, pre-ordered. Both versions.

Nice to see a firmer sense of continuity beginning to establish itself. I wouldn't be surprised if there we're quite a few more references to Unleashed in this game, seeing as it seems to be taking place quite soon afterwards.

The one concern I have is if Chip's Bracelet will be referenced at all. It is very evident this takes place after Unleashed (in fact if I recall many months ago SEGA talked about wanting Sonic to have a more firm canon and continuity, does anyone have a link to where they said that?) so he should still have the Bracelet. Hope it's at least referenced or something.

Also as stated earlier I am fairly sure his name is SA-55 Orbot, since that is typically how Eggman names his robots anyways and we got SA-55 from Archie comics since they mentioned that was his name on the Fact Sheet.

Eggman really didn't have much of any sidekicks or characters close to that in games, but sega didn't throw the little guy away (SA-55) and thats good! And awesome that Sonic will break the fourth wall. Wonder if that will also be in scenes when Eggman starts a chat with Sonic before the boss, imagine sonic ignoring every detail of what Eggman says while breaking the fourth wall (Sonic: And Eggman was right, everything in his territory does have a motor!).

Edited by Alex2beta

Ergo Vs Orbit

Robotnik vs Eggman

Let the games begins

Ego (Orbit if you prefere :P), I always thought he would return in this game specially that it has comedy styled story line to appeal to every one :mellow:

1) Dr. Eggman has built his park after developing a sense of remorse for his past “indiscretions”. Hmm… a likely story.

Eggman land

Honestly, you Could Already imagine how the amusement park came in sonic team's mind :P

Edited by speedduelist

The one concern I have is if Chip's Bracelet will be referenced at all. It is very evident this takes place after Unleashed (in fact if I recall many months ago SEGA talked about wanting Sonic to have a more firm canon and continuity, does anyone have a link to where they said that?) so he should still have the Bracelet. Hope it's at least referenced or something.
If it is, I'll eat my hat. I'm all for continuity, but shoehorning in an unrelated reference to a previous game just isn't worth the effort.