Awoo.

Sonic/Star Fox comparisons.

Vulpine

I don't know if this someone made a post of this topic, already. But has anyone noticed that SEGA's Sonic franchise has some similarities to Nintendo's Star Fox franchise in some ways? I happened to realize that some time ago:

Tails and Fox McCloud are both male foxes and both pilot some kind of mech: Tails pilots the Cyclone/Tornado while Fox pilots the Arwing.

Sonic and Falco Lombardi are both blue anthropomorphic animals with attitude and somewhat spiny hair.

Lupe (Sonic SatAM) and Wolf O' Donnell are both wolves and leaders. Lupe is the leader of the Wolf Pack Freedom Fighters and Wolf is the leader of Star Wolf.

Espio and Leon Powalski are both chameleons.

Cream and Lucy Hare (Star Fox Command) are both female rabbits, and some fans often pair them with the male fox character. Which, by the way, happen to be non-canon couples that I don't like (I may be sorry, but I dislike both Fox/Lucy and Tails/Cream because they're boring pairings and have nothing to do with canon. Plus, I support Fox/Krystal and Tails/Marine).

People make endless memes out of both using a particular quote. Like "Do a Barrel Roll!" from Star Fox 64 and "Find the computer room!" from Shadow the Hedgehog. In fact, 80% of the dialogue of both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Star Fox 64 has turned into Internet phenomena by fans *cough* YouTube Poop *cough*.

The recent games play a little differently from the classics, which people think Sonic and Star Fox have gone downhill because of that. I think not, since I appreciate both the classics and the new games in both.

Both franchises feature a post-2000 character that suffers from a terrible fandom. Krystal is to the Star Fox series as Shadow the Hedgehog is to the Sonic series, as both characters are cool but their fandoms are bad, and both characters normally benefit better as a love interest to another in-game character (Krystal is better as Fox's love interest while Shadow is best as Rouge's love interest) just to save from the madness that is either the rival couples that I cannot stand (Knuckles/Rouge and Panther/Krystal) or the Krystal fanboys and Shadow fangirls who are willing to pair themselves with their favorite character that they're so obsessed with (I apologize for writing an opinion, here).

Both franchises feature a non-canon comic character that has a huge fan following (Fara Phoenix in Star Fox and Julie-Su in Sonic).

Both franchises feature a main antagonist that's a crazy mad scientist (Dr. Eggman in Sonic and Andross in Star Fox) that also has a nephew (Snively in Sonic SatAM and Andrew Oikonny in Star Fox).

Both franchises feature an upcoming game that is similar to the classics (Sonic 4, Sonic Colors and Star Fox 64 3DS).

Both franchises use rings as their health source.

Both franchise feature animals in outer space and somewhat a Sci-Fi setting.

And finally, both franchises are two of my favorite video game series of all-time.

Edited by Vulpine

This is interesting.

Though to be fair, you could compare the Sonic universe to a lot of other things too.

Take Shadow and Michael Jackson;

-They’re both packing heat.

-Lived on a space station at some point.

-Have no childhood.

-Fight a gruff army.

-Fight an alien overlord.

-Fight an eeeevvvil balding man.

-Meet up with a giant laser weapon of mass destruction.

-Had a group of armed men try and mow them down with machine guns, and survive.

-Had their own game.

-Were characters in Sega titles.

-Adored by the ladies.

-Are alien robots supposedly.

-Have an ego the size of Lake Erie.

-Risked their lives over a blond little girl they liked.

-Were portrayed in flash backs as kind souls who livedhappily with said girl until the plot came a long.

-Were famous, then infamous.

-and DAMN can they both dance.

Edited by Vantoggle
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't know if this someone made a post of this topic, already. But has anyone noticed that SEGA's Sonic franchise has some similarities to Nintendo's Star Fox franchise in some ways? I happened to realize that some time ago...

You are missing one similarity: they both use RINGS as their Health Source....

COME ON, WHO CAN FORGET THAT!?!?!

• Thumbs Up 2

-and DAMN can they both dance.

You forgot

And you forgot one. Both of them died. (sorry but I just had to say it. I couldn't control myself. negative rep me all you want but it's the truth!)

Edited by Edge
  • Thumbs Up 1

I knew some of the simularites but DAYUM. Did Nintendo base most of Star Fox on Sonic, and LOL Shadow=Krystal in fandom ruinage.

I can actually kinda see it too. Not to mention that if you slap Sonic in the Starfox universe or vice-versa they will fit in with little to no problems.

You are missing one similarity: they both use RINGS as their Health Source....

COME ON, WHO CAN FORGET THAT!?!?!

I just got that added to the list (I forgot that. Sorry).

...hm, I initially thought that this topic would be nothing but a list of nonsensical, "grasping for straws" similarities. But now that I've actually read them, most of them actually DO make sense... And I'm actually being serious about it, too.

Very interesting similarities there...just like with Sonic and Klonoa. o_o

You forgot

Doh!

And you forgot one. Both of them died. (sorry but I just had to say it. I couldn't control myself. negative rep me all you want but it's the truth!)

Now that I think about it, you could probably list a lot more similarities if you ignore being politically correct.

Doh!

Now that I think about it, you could probably list a lot more similarities if you ignore being politically correct.

If one joke about being around children in a gigantic building is made I'll--

(joking, joking; although I'm still pretty sure MJ didn't do it >_>)

---

Now, to compare Sonic and Mario:

Both were competitors in the video game battles of the 1990s

Both have blue and red colors as their base

Both are considerably from the platformer genre

Both are all-around everyman kind of guys that can learn quickly and do many things

Both got progressively leaner and taller (as well as minor design changes) over the years

Both have stood strong through their entire career with stable, fun and enjoyable ga--HEY WAIT A MINUTE

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now, to compare Sonic and Mario:

Both were competitors in the video game battles of the 1990s

Both have blue and red colors as their base

Both are considerably from the platformer genre

Both are all-around everyman kind of guys that can learn quickly and do many things

Both got progressively leaner and taller (as well as minor design changes) over the years

- Both had 3 cartoons from DiC

- Both have villains that have ride in flying mobiles

- Both series' villains have been more comical in more story based games

- Both have been in McDonald's Happy Meals

- Both have once been shown to be more popular than Mickey Mouse

- Both have party games from the same team

- Both first RPGs were from a 3rd party developer

- Both were two of the first game characters to be included in the Video Game Hall of Fame

Edited by Chaosmaster8753

Anyone familiar with both Sonic and Dragon ball will know that Sonic is, by and large, a rip off of the classic shonen manga (which is something that the creators of Sonic have actually admitted)

Both Goku and Sonic are the main characters of their series, both have an easygoing personality, both are the kind of heroes who never doubt themselves and are unable to pass by someone in need without giving a helping hand, both have spiky hair, both value a certain activity above all else and which they also happen to be probably the best in the universe at (in Goku's case it's fighting, in Sonic's it's running), both can turn into immensely powerful "super" versions of themselves which makes their hair go straight up, and both have a tendency to leave their loved ones in order to go adventuring for long periods of time without even realizing that this is something that causes distress among them.

Both Gohan and Tails are kids that idolize the main hero in the series, both lack that main heroes superhuman sense of confidence and bravery, both are extremely intelligent (and the Archie version of Tails even had the whole "chosen one who is capable of becoming even stronger than the main hero"-thing that Gohan has).

Both Piccolo and Knuckles where at one time enemies of the main hero, both rather quickly became allies to them. Both continue though to have personalities which doesn't go so well with the main characters, since Goku/sonic are easygoing and funloving while Piccolo/Knuckles are much more "serious business". Both are also initially thought to be the last ones of their kind, until that is eventually proven wrong, and both belong to a species that have a strong connection to the powerful artifacts that plays a big role in their respective series.

Both Vegeta and Shadow are initial enemies of the main heroes, who eventually become reluctant allies to the hero (though they never really become good friends with them in the same way that the earlier rivals, Piccolo/Knuckles, does). Both have a dark past and both have similar, arrogant, antisocial personalities, and both belong to the same species as the main hero.

Both Trunks and Silver are young characters who comes from an apocalyptic future who travels back to the past in order try to prevent the disaster in that future from happening. Oh yeah, and they have the same english voice actor.

Also, seven Dragon Balls = seven chaos emeralds.

I suppose i could also draw similarities between Chi chi and Amy, but then again, all japanese franchises have their annoying, delusional, "Bakaaaa!"-screaming girl who is madly in love with a male character...

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Batson, most of that describes pretty much any shonen series. xD

Well, much of it do, but there are also certain very specific aspects of Dragon ball characters that also applies to their Sonic counterparts (like how the "first rival" in each series belongs to a species which he is initially thought to be the last of, and also how he has a connection to the powerful artifacts that much of the series revolves around, or how the "second rival" is of the same species as the main character, ect). Also, much of the reason for why a lot of what i described can be said about any shonen series is because so many shonen series are based on Dragon ball as well.

Seriously, sometimes i wonder whether the japanese just have different standards when it comes to what constitutes as a plain rip off than us westeners. :P

Anyone familiar with both Sonic and Dragon ball will know that Sonic is, by and large, a rip off of the classic shonen manga (which is something that the creators of Sonic have actually admitted)

Both Goku and Sonic are the main characters of their series, both have an easygoing personality, both are the kind of heroes who never doubt themselves and are unable to pass by someone in need without giving a helping hand, both have spiky hair, both value a certain activity above all else and which they also happen to be probably the best in the universe at (in Goku's case it's fighting, in Sonic's it's running), both can turn into immensely powerful "super" versions of themselves which makes their hair go straight up, and both have a tendency to leave their loved ones in order to go adventuring for long periods of time without even realizing that this is something that causes distress among them.

Both Gohan and Tails are kids that idolize the main hero in the series, both lack that main heroes superhuman sense of confidence and bravery, both are extremely intelligent (and the Archie version of Tails even had the whole "chosen one who is capable of becoming even stronger than the main hero"-thing that Gohan has).

Both Piccolo and Knuckles where at one time enemies of the main hero, both rather quickly became allies to them. Both continue though to have personalities which doesn't go so well with the main characters, since Goku/sonic are easygoing and funloving while Piccolo/Knuckles are much more "serious business". Both are also initially thought to be the last ones of their kind, until that is eventually proven wrong, and both belong to a species that have a strong connection to the powerful artifacts that plays a big role in their respective series.

Both Vegeta and Shadow are initial enemies of the main heroes, who eventually become reluctant allies to the hero (though they never really become good friends with them in the same way that the earlier rivals, Piccolo/Knuckles, does). Both have a dark past and both have similar, arrogant, antisocial personalities, and both belong to the same species as the main hero.

Both Trunks and Silver are young characters who comes from an apocalyptic future who travels back to the past in order try to prevent the disaster in that future from happening. Oh yeah, and they have the same english voice actor.

Also, seven Dragon Balls = seven chaos emeralds.

I suppose i could also draw similarities between Chi chi and Amy, but then again, all japanese franchises have their annoying, delusional, "Bakaaaa!"-screaming girl who is madly in love with a male character...

I, too, also noticed the similarities between Sonic and Dragon Ball Z as well. While at it, you forgot Rouge and Bulma, since those two are also similar characters.

It seems that nobody wanted to talk about Star Fox in this topic :( Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems that nobody wanted to talk about Star Fox in this topic :( Oh well.

Well, personally im not really in much of a position to compare Sonic and Star Fox since i really dont know that much about the series. I played the original SNES game back when it came out, and also played some of Star Fox 64 but that's pretty much it.

I will make this proclamation though: Krystal is very, very doable.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've heard some people make this comparison before.

As for my personal opinion? I dunno, I have never really given it much thought, to be honest.

To me, Star Fox is Star Fox, and Sonic is Sonic.

I will make this proclamation this though: Krystal is very, very doable.

*insert Roger Craig Smith voice* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

This could also apply to Marine!

-Both come from far off lands

-Both love to adventure (I don't know, Krystal is in StarFox Adventure... so I just kinda assumed...)

-Both have accents... wait... did I just say Marine was doable!? WHAT THE HELL!? EEEW NO! NO!

We'll guys, I'm gonna go do something very painful to myself...

Edited by Edge

Eh, since everyone else is doing it, I might as well post my list of similarities between Sonic and Klonoa here.

Apart from DBZ (and before I read this topic), I find Klonoa to be the second most similar to Sonic. Mario...eh, not so much, apart from their colors, but that's it. =/

-I think this just might be the most important similariity, as I've just noticed recently. Both Sonic and Klonoa are often associated with the wind. Both can manipulate the winds to their advantage (Sonic's speed and Klonoa's attacks). Both of them also use large rings in their gameplay. The color scheme in Klonoa's current clothes are the same as Sonic's: red, white, and blue. They share the same eye shape as well.

-Interestingly enough, Klonoa's Wind Ring looks as if the green Chaos Emerald shrunk and attached itself to a Power Ring that Sonic uses in his gameplay and cartoons/anime.

-The colors of the five Lunatean Elements are the same as five of the Chaos Emeralds: green, yellow, red, light blue, and purple.

-Some characters in Klonoa, including Klonoa himself, have small Sonic-like bodies, with big heads and toothpick-sized limbs... Take Klonoa's clothes off and you got another Sonic character added. (Especially if its the K2 design with the oval eyes.)

-Klonoa's long floppy ears is often compared to Tails' two large tails, making them both freaks of nature...in a good way, that is. =P (Also the reason why fangirls draw yaoi art of them so much. >_>)

-The Klonoa character Guntz can be compared to Knuckles or Shadow. Guntz has a personality similar to that of Knuckles: they're both stubborn and they're both loners, not to mention they're both hunters of some sort (Guntz being a bounty hunter and Knuckles hunts for his Master Emerald shards). Guntz being a rival of Klonoa also contributes to this, to correlate to Sonic's rivalry with Knux. Also, both Guntz and Shadow wield guns, can get angsty at times (I think), and have tragic pasts of their own.

-Klonoa G2: Dream Champ Tournament's main villain, Garlen, is similar to Dr. Eggman, both physical and technical. They're both fat, and wield machines and other stuff. (In Klonoa G2, Garlen's plot was to turn people into gears so that he could use them for his machines, which is heavily reminiscent of either Eggman's animal-taking or his roboticizations in SatAM/Archie.)

-In both DtP and Sonic Unleashed, both Sonic and Klonoa are accompanied by small companions of power: Chip, who is Light Gaia, and Huepow, who is the prince of Cress, the Moon Kingdom. They both are best friends to Sonic and Klonoa, help them save their worlds, and depart afterwards from them in sad ways. Chip's necklace/bracelet even heavily resembled Klonoa's Wind Ring.

-In Sonic & the Black Knight, Sonic wields a sword just like Klonoa did in Klonoa Heroes. Also, SatBK's plot is a semi-repeat of Klonoa 2's: Merlina summons Sonic to the world of King Arthur as part of her secret plan to make the world eternal, just as the King of Sorrow summons Klonoa to Lunatea as part of his plan to bring sorrow to the world. Both Merlina a.k.a. the Dark Queen and the King of Sorrow drench themselves in sadness, with both of them accusing Sonic and Klonoa of not understanding their sorrow.

I also wrote a huge-ass editorial on this. But I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it here or not... Is it okay, though?

Sonic sure has Starfox beat in terms of character design. I love starfox so much, but really, most of the characters besides Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal are downright fugly. Espedially the monkeys.

You know another comparison between the two series? TOO MUCH YAOI!

'Sides, every Starfox game after Adventures was shit......And by every I mean the Gamecube Ratchet and Clank ripoff and the DS Rogue Squadron ripoff.