Awoo.

azoos art

azoo

*sneaks into art topic again*

You're getting quite good at drawing Gorrilaz, Azukara. And you're improving quickly too. :3

*sneaks away*

• 2 weeks later...

Azukara, I've got a question.

Are you a big fan of Dr. Seuss and Tim Burton?

I say this because your drawings really resemble the two artists quite well, particularly the ones that scribble, sketch, and take full advantage of a cartoonish style design (styles that I've loved). And thus far, it's all done really well. Really good work. Great color, composition, and depth.

Keep up the good work! :D

I am a big fan of Mr. Suess and Mr. Burton, but moreso a fan of Naoto Oshima and Jamie Hewlett. Good to see my style reeks of all these styles! :V

But yes, thanks for the compliments, man. I take them close to heart. :)

I'm actually a hhhuuuuge gorillaz fan! You do some great work...and you improve pretty steadily too. What programs do you use?

Traditionally, I just use mechanical pencils and sketchpaper. Digitally, I use Paint Tool SAI with a Bamboo Pen.

Also, glad to see another Gorillaz addict on the forums! :D

Edited by Azukara

Nice to see more than just Sonic up in here man, I think its nice to see some variety in subject matter on a fan forum. Sure the bulk of whats going to be here is fanart, but I do enjoy seeing what else people can draw since there are a lot of talented people within the fanbase that I really wish would branch out sometimes.

Anyway, really digging the more Gorillaz styled artwork! Keep it up bro.

Edit: Also +1 for using SAI, I love that program. It even lets my digital lines come out really crisp and clean.

Edited by Punk
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see more than just Sonic up in here man, I think its nice to see some variety in subject matter on a fan forum. Sure the bulk of whats going to be here is fanart, but I do enjoy seeing what else people can draw since there are a lot of talented people within the fanbase that I really wish would branch out sometimes.

Anyway, really digging the more Gorillaz styled artwork! Keep it up bro.

Edit: Also +1 for using SAI, I love that program. It even lets my digital lines come out really crisp and clean.

Dude, I didn't see this post earlier; I should have! Thanks for the compliments, man. I really appreciate it. :D

New artwork:

storm_brings_strange_loyalties_by_azukaramegadriver-d3gwfux.png

I had lots of artsy fun with this one: messing with silhouettes, smoke transitioning into clouds, fun little swirly shapes from Sun Moon Stars / The Boogeyman's cape.

i_made_a_character__by_azukaramegadriver-d3gwkia.png

Improvised making a character as I went the other night. Came out like a... well.. Cruella D'evill, Steven Tyler, that guy that plays the Scarecrow in Batman Begins, and H.M. Murdock of the A-Team all having a crack baby and feeding him to an awful hairdresser. I am really digging this character for how kooky his/her facial structure is (and his/her sexy hair), so expect art of him/her to appear later on. :V

i__m_useless_by_azukaramegadriver-d3gwmal.png

Hey I wonder who this is. Geez I love this guy, he's the greatest! Stencil-esque shading is always a fun and dynamic way to shade as well; especially with Hewlett's style.

Don't fret, children. More Sonic art will come soon. Maybe more original stuff too, but I gotta get a move on with Sonic Freerunner as well you know.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, characters that I made!

the_cast___part_one_by_azukaramegadriver-d3hzr7f.png

the_cast___part_two_by_azukaramegadriver-d3hzrhx.png

The two seen throughout the second picture and the bottom of the first are my main characters: Azakura and Shyla. The beatnik-hipster dude with the mug and the punk-goth chick are Derrick and Venus, respectively. The other characters don't really have names, and so far noone has that expanded of a personality. But hey, that's where storywriting and character development kicks in!

What do you guys think about them? People generally like Derrick the most, but I hope others will find fondness in the rest of them too :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Not my art or photography ahead, but either way it's me delving into my characters' world.

---

This world that I am building for these characters is going to be a huge, stylized utopia, made of dark monochrome city colors intertwining with the most saturated and attractive lights and visuals the world could ever hope to have on them. Think of places like this:

radio_city_by_toko.jpgShibuya,-Tokyo,-Japan.jpgCity_of_London_by_Jules_bonnot.jpgvancouver__by_ammsa7-d2d9igu.jpgNeon_Shoe_Store_by_JaidanWolf.jpgwe__re_going_down_by_toko.jpg

A very saturated cityscape, taking inspirations from Tokyo, NYC, Shanghai, Vancouver, London and many other places. The balancing mixture of bright and festive, modern neon colors with a gritty dark Gotham-esque city aesthetic gives a chilling, awesome-feeling environment that blends together, and holds the foundations of what seems to be a neo-cyberpunk landscape; the cloudy navy skies and pitch black nights make it all the more enticing, yet beautifully haunting. Proper spacings and blendings of certain colors in certain scenes also bring out how attractive this type of environment would be. I made sure to only choose pictures that had an equal amount of the dark grit and the neon saturation.

The city is a location where a good majority of this world's population exists, since the rest of the world has been consumed by the darkness that is lingering around the bubble the utopia has made to protect itself.

Valley_of_Shadows___Air_Ballet_by_Tonikop.jpg

^It would look similar to this.

A dark, looming place filled with sepia color, and the lack thereof any other colors than those or monochrome. This is the darkness that quickly compacted itself to land, mutated all creatures around, and led civilizations and landmasses to crumble. It left everything in near desolate ruin with no hope of survival.. besides this aforementioned city, and several others that are dispersed across the planet. These cities don't have much connection to each other, but are all somewhat similar: they contain where the mass population has swarmed to for protection, they contain their own governments, and they all have their own methods of technologies and transportation.

---

All of this is subject due to change. I don't know what I would keep or not, but this is a rough idea that I've somewhat shaped together in a barebones kind of way, to get a good idea on what I should do with my characters. With that, however, I'm somewhat confused what I should do with them; or what type of genre they would fit in. I'm building this off an action-adventure-thriller setup, but my characters are kind of telling me otherwise; kind of like they have minds of their own. Those are the best kind of characters, right? ^^;

----

Please give critiques about my character designs, as well the premise I have for this world / story setting. Any critiques or comments, positive or negative feedback? Anything is HIGHLY appreciative.

• Thumbs Up 3

nobody lieks the original work I evur do, I haet you alll

so watch me do dis

sonicgyroooos.png

watch me post a silly bootifel pictoor of sawniek up and den get plus rep on it whenevu the real pictours with reel effurt get nuffin

• Thumbs Up 4

*crashes in through window*

Alright, your original work...

I like it. You are developing a style all your own, and with time and practice it will become more obvious. Yes yes, very nice. :3

I think the Azukara fellow is my favorite, since I like his hair. The rest are cool too. They have plenty of features to differentiate themselves from one another. And just a bit of critique, but they look a little off in some parts. I'm not sure if that's also part of the style you're going for, but some practice drawing from models (or stalking people around and drawing them 8I) could help. Also, your ideas for the setting remind me quite a bit of the Tomorrow Comes Today video (hope I'm not weird for thinking that):

An OMG tha sonniku ish da veryy beist i wis i can haz dawing skilz liek dat

Edited by Mimi
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ironically, I listened to that song (and a list of others, non-Gorillaz lol) while thinking of the design behind that environment. One of the main reasons that could be the case is because yes, I did also partially take inspiration from that video, since it is London and I even posted a picture or two of London above. Their lights, their gritty-yet-colorful atmosphere is exactly what I want... even if London doesn't really have that feel, all videos and pictures I've come to like feature it like that.

Thanks for the compliments and critique on the proportions, by the way. I realize I still have problems making the size of shoulder-length work out completely like it's supposed to; but that's also partially because of the art style I've built. Lots of what I've been working on has been sapping bits and peices from the western art in the Iron Giant, some Pixar films, realism some anime, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Scott Pilgrim, Tim Burton works, and Gorillaz; to make my own style in the midst of it all.

I'll post more artwork up soon enough, hopefully. :)

Oh wait! There's this doodle of Derrick I did:

derrick_scrap_by_azukaramegadriver-d3hzrpg.png

I tend to have a good bit of fun drawing this guy.

• 3 weeks later...

You have a Pretty Nifty style going, for both your Original and Non-Original stuff. I like that, Good Job ya Hippie.

also +1 for Del, I like that guy.

2d__s_making_chocolate_pudding_by_azukaramegadriver-d3kw3sx.png

Dear Valhalla what have I done.

(Mimi should be coloring this soon btw :3)

You have a Pretty Nifty style going, for both your Original and Non-Original stuff. I like that, Good Job ya Hippie.

also +1 for Del, I like that guy.

Aww shucks, thanks. And yes I'll take the hippie line with pride. =P

And yes, Del is the coolest ever.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Step 1: Show to SEGA

Step 2: They purchase design

Step 3: You make the monies in the house

Step 4: Purchase bacon

Step 5: There is no step 5. You now have bacon, what more can you do?

Step 6: Yay bacon and Eggmans!

• Thumbs Up 3

I think step 5 would have been to purchase more bacon, and the step 6 is a repeat of steps 4 + 5, and so on.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SilvertheChristmasPresent.png

no one cares bout this topic but hey there's a Silver, merry Christmas to Meem as this is her Christmas picture

Edited by Azublitzen
  • Thumbs Up 3