Awoo.

azoos art

azoo

Hmm, that actually is a fairly cool T-Shirt design (I'm liking the attitude and how mischievous he looks)! Everyone's said the possible copyright concerns, though in all likelihood you don't need to worry.

Hoping it sells well for you. smile.png

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Looked into it. Fair use rules allow it. This is how commissions are done in the first place. Claiming it as one's own outside of the material being what you've made, however, is illegal. The difference between selling a fan game and selling a commission, for example, is that a commission is a part of your art portfolio, and a fan game treats itself as its own intellectual property. Plus, Sega sells Sonic games and that wouldn't be allowed because it'd technically be a much cheaper competition.

Many other websites sell Sonic and other video game based shirts; in fact Redbubble itself has lots of search results for that (some of which ARE infringing laws due to them being actual Sonic promo art officially made by Sega and slapped onto their own designs with no changes, but yeah..). I'm pretty sure I'm good..? tongue.png

Edited by Azookara

No, it is generally not covered under fair use (which is a case by case basis anyway as the properties of each product would need to be reviewed). Most of the time fair use is generally granted to pieces of work that are appropriating content for the use in parody or criticism, though not always - but would have to be reviewed by a judge first I do believe. It just means that if someone wanted to take you to court over it they could but the piece would be either determined as infringement or fair use there.. I just went on google and found this: http://lexxercise.tumblr.com/post/5965105973/intellectual-property-copyright-law-and-fan-art and I think it explains it a lot better than I am. This link as well: http://kirara-teh-love.deviantart.com/art/The-Truth-About-Selling-Fanart-212570726.

People (including the creator of Ghost Rider for example) have been dinged before for selling unauthorized work. It isn't an every day occurrence  and I am not saying anyone is going to go after you, but they can if they want to. The companies don't give a crap about whether or not its going in your portfolio. However like I said its unlikely that they go after a majority of fanartists selling merchandise they have made because it isn't worth their time to do so. Technically, using your example of fan games, Sega also sells Sonic branded T-shirts and your selling a t-shirt which = competition and if it really irked them they could go after you.

Like I said before though, not trying to rain on your parade because the t-shirt is really nice and all but I am simply answering the question on whether or not you are legally in the right or not. Had do a bit of research myself though considering our copyright laws are a bit different.

Edited by Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I see then! Well, in that case, if push comes to shove I'll take it down. No need to put myself on the lawsuit tightrope when I have other original works to put up as well, so yeah. O:

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah like I said I don't think they're going to go after you for it : D haha. It's just good to know generally what your rights/ their rights are, and copyright issues sometimes are in such a grey area it's hard.

Also you should make some original shirts too! I bet they'd be wicked as well.

Yes, go with original works. I've seen plenty of webcomics become fairly popular and make a pretty penny off their associated merchandise, and it actually is a viable business model if you've got the work ethic, writing and artistic abilities to pursue it. You definitely have art skills down, so really it all just comes down to your ability to write an entertaining story (whether just a bunch of gags or something more interconnected is at your discretion) and how much time you're willing to sink into it.

I wish you luck with whatever choice you roll with. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

That's look pretty good! You've definitely got a solid art style down, which really is the key point; people respond more to artwork than writing, likely because of the sight dependence of the species.

Have you uploaded any of the pages, perchance?

Either way, should be interesting to see the final result; with enough promotion, you could build a solid fanbase and make merchandise based off of it... it's a long way ahead, but hey, the journey of a thousand miles...

• 1 month later...

tumblr_mmr1vjf8Kv1rjj3mio1_r1_1280.png

Did a doodle of Red & Pikachu, then decided it needed coloring and a background because why not. Then I liked the background better, and now here's the background alone! =v

tumblr_mmr37wVTeZ1rjj3mio1_1280.png

• Thumbs Up 5

tumblr_mmtersmqmr1rjj3mio1_1280.png

Tried out my characters with these new brushes I have. I kinda made them look a bit more big-head-tiny-body'd in their proportions but its almost unnoticeable. I'm gonna make them have the same proportions as before, but keep this style cuz I like this brush fdhsjfds.

Edited by Azookara

tumblr_mna4nvZW3y1rjj3mio1_500.png

I really like drawing Sonics. I also really like drawing blue and black color schemes and sparkly stars. Wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop gotta speed keed

• Thumbs Up 4

tumblr_mnoqoeZfVI1rjj3mio1_1280.png

I can't draw Sonic first stages without having checkered patterns, please I seek help in knowing how to design it any other way. ;_;

• 1 month later...

Good to see you haven't given up on your project!

Speaking as a webcomic maker, I know how hard it can be to get back into the rut of updating regularly when you fall out of it... but with enough pushing anything's possible.

tumblr_mpllmovYhC1rjj3mio1_1280.png

My character designs are some of the most hilariously inconsistent. :v

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

It happens!

I personally keep a reference of characters next to me at all times when drawing a strip. After enough times you'll get a consistent design down and you won't need the reference anymore. Learning a new character's design is actually a very fun challenge; I'd imagine doubly or triply so if it's your own creation! smile.png

• 1 month later...

tumblr_mrnpdxhirc1rjj3mio1_1280.png

I'm almost done posting random doodles of this dorky ball of cute. Rodger, her, and the rest of these buffoons gonna be in a comic sometime. I'm just posting random stuff cuz I like how they look, now. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh mang thanks! I really like Awkward Zombie comics and I can see the way she does art at times resembles what I do and stuff. 

Also I think I'm almost there, regarding the style for my characters. Last thing I post of my characters before the comic I SWEAR THIS TIME (this won't be the last time I'm sure)

doodledump_zps4ce1fe27.png

• Thumbs Up 8

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...