Awoo.

Why close your own topic?

TheGerkuman

This isn't a rant or anything at all, more that it's just a concept that I personally don't understand, and would like other people to respond to. That way, I should hopefully be able to understand it. :)

Most topics in general get locked because either they're against the rules, or people are misbehaving in them. That makes sense. It's a shame when people go too far in a topic and spoil it for everyone else, but that's not the staffs fault. They're doing their job, and a very good job too.

I just... don't understand why people would lock their own topic (Or ask a staffer to lock it for them). When a topic is posted to a forum, it's an invitation for other people to discuss something. It's often something that people really want to talk about. To lock it means that basically, you're taking back the invitation you gave to everyone else.

Once again, I'm not writing this to have a go at anyone at all, I'm just curious to why people do it. I've put it here in the feedback because it seems the best place for it to be.

Guest Miles Per Hour

When a topic is posted to a forum, it's an invitation for other people to discuss something. It's often something that people really want to talk about. To lock it means that basically, you're taking back the invitation you gave to everyone else.

Someone could just repost the topic if they really want to discuss the subject.

Well, maybe the problem the topic was about was solved or they know it's going to get closed anyway, so they just ask for it to be closed before it gets worse.

If the person feels like the topic's moved to a direction he didn't want it to go, he may want it to be shut down. Say you want to talk about subject X, then a page or so in another member does his posts and includes something about subject Y in it. Then everyone else grabs onto Y and the whole thing derails into a debate about Y whilst the original subject is nowhere to be seen. Alternatively, the topic may still be on subject but has run its course: e.g. a topic brushing a religious subject turns into another religious debate and some ten pages in the OP might feel that there's no point in going through that for the billionth time and thus requests it to be locked cause, well, what's the point?

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've asked staff members to close topics I've made on other forums when they have gone so far off topic that there is little hope for them returning. Particularly when they go off topic in a way that makes them basically identical to another topic already being discussed. Basically, the second thing Flint said.

Also keep in mind that it is still up to the staff's discretion whether to actually lock the topic or not, so the staff member has to agree that your reasons for wanting it locked outweigh any discussion value that the thread might hold.

Edited by Tornado

Also keep in mind that it is still up to the staff's discretion whether to actually lock the topic or not, so the staff member has to agree that your reasons for wanting it locked outweigh any discussion value that the thread might hold.

Unless you're a staffer. Then again, they still have to answer to their bosses, so it's not like they'd misuse their powers.

Either what Flint said, or you discover that the topic isn't really that great for discussion (for example, the topic about the wolf packs in high schools that I made a few days ago). I closed it because I didn't realize that it could become a "let's make fun of 'blank' people" kinda thing. I decided it unacceptable and closed it.

I don't really see it being all to weird, but that's just me, XD.

-Blur