Awoo.

Baltimore Uni offering a degree in Zombies!

Badnik Mechanic

So Baltimore University is offering a new degree called English 333 or as it's commonly known... Zombies 101! The course as described by Jonathan Shorr, chairman of the university's school of communications design claims that it's a back door to a lot of other subjects and that students will "learn how literature and mass media work, and how they come to reflect our times."

The course promises... and these are actual quotes from the prospectus...

"Blood and guts"

"Reading zombie comics books"

"Watching zombie movies"

And not only offers students a degree but... "The knowledge to get you ready for a zombie apocalypse."

instead of essays students will be asked to draw out storyboards for a zombie movie (much like AS film studies/media studies.) The course is run by Arnold Blumberg who is the author of Zombiemania and is quoted as saying... ""This is not fluffy bunny cartoon stuff. Bunnies might show up, but they'd probably be torn to pieces."

Well some bits of it sound like Film and media studies, only it's specific to one genre,

And then on the other hand... COOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!

How do I apply for this course!?

Source

I guess we should end this with some appropriate videos... which will most likely end up being coursework.

Wait... What?... Why? Why not just offer a class about blue anthropomorphic hedgehogs too. I'm sorry, but really? People pay good money to go to school and they're money gets wasted on nonsensical stuff like this? What a shame. That's my two cents.

Edited by HighCaliburFun
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait... What?... Why? Why not just offer a class about blue anthropomorphic hedgehogs too. I'm sorry, but really? People pay good money to go to school and there money gets wasted on non nonsensical stuff like this? What a shame. That's my two cents.

But it doesn't really sound too different from normal AS Film studies. When I did it, we could if we wanted to a storyboard/comic book instead of an essay.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever. I really hope this is just a film school because I don't see anyone visiting this class for anything else.

I'm not a fan of zombies so this wouldn't be for me. The internet really ruined them for me, same with pirates, ninjas, and Strong Bad! Wait... YEAH! (I love SB)

Edited by Edge
  • Thumbs Up 1

'Baltimore University?' As in the University of Baltimore in my neck of the woods (Maryland)?

Pretty amusing if you ask me.

And no, Edge, it's not a film school. It's like any other regular school. I've visited there a few times!

Finally....

A class I can finally ace! I know it all! Zombies are bunch of a fun. Why else do I like them? XD

The only mistake I could make is falling for them but I already did that. XDDD

And no, Edge, it's not a film school. It's like any other regular school. I've visited there a few times!

Then this explains America's poor test scores. School is for education, not for stupid crap you can learn about on the internet.

Edited by Edge

Just because it's not a film school, doesn't mean it doesn't have a program for film students. I study Cinema at a College that is not strictly a film school. This course is awesome, and I'm sure many students will take something away from it when they get their degrees. While the focus may be zombies, the work I'm sure they'll be doing can be applied to any other film course.

That aside, zombies are actually a damn interesting subject.

Then this explains America's poor test scores. School is for education, not for stupid crap you can learn about on the internet.

This is a college. You choose your classes past the basics.

The only people taking this will be the ones who want too, and obviously the teacher can teach or else he wouldn't be there.

Just because the subject matter can get a little silly does not mean the education is lower.

This is a college. You choose your classes past the basics.

The only people taking this will be the ones who want too, and obviously the teacher can teach or else he wouldn't be there.

Just because the subject matter can get a little silly does not mean the education is lower.

I suppose you're right about that. I sincerely hope this is just a class that has to deal with zombie movie/comic making though because if otherwise then it'll be a waste of money. I really just don't feel like this is something that should be at a college though.

Horror fanatic coming through. To my understanding it delves also into a broader horror theory and "Scare the Audience" transpired through literature, film, and in general so actually this could come in handy if the following careers interested you.

1. You wanted to become a horror film director.

2. You wanted to become a horror writer.

3. You want to make a Haunted House (like those profitable ones)

4. You want to do something involving scaring people alternative, like making scary games or something of the sort.

Or prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse, whichever comes first-shot-

People taking this a s stupid zombie course aren't really getting it, it's basically film studies, but they're clearly trying to make it more appealing by zombie theming it. Good idea I think.

People taking this a s stupid zombie course aren't really getting it, it's basically film studies, but they're clearly trying to make it more appealing by zombie theming it. Good idea I think.

That's about it. These kind of classes are nothing new, and are probably offered at every university in some shape or form. The only difference here is that the dean decided to advertise this specific theme in advance of the class, instead of the norm where students are able to choose their own topics.

This is really just an attempt to get kids to actually enjoy doing their homework (in this case watching the mediums) which boosts educational value by giving the viewers first hand experience of the topics they will be going over in class. Just because it is a zombie movie does not mean that it cant be implemented as an educational aid in the right hands. A pile of rocks means nothing to most of us, but give it to a geologist and he'll make the relevant data dance. Give some zombie movies to a film major, and I bet he'll get something useful out of it too.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Then this explains America's poor test scores.

Whoa, hold up. That's not cool to say.

The course is clearly designed to be a film studies class that can be more interesting to students due to the subject matter sort of shifting. Really, it is no grounds to bring up shit like 'low test scores' because you don't think it's a good idea. Give me a goddamn break.

Edited by Chooch

I don't see any difference between making a film course specifically about Zombies (and therefore all things about Zombies) and making an English lit course specifically about Irish writers.

Edited by Mollfie

Even if there isn't any educational value in this course, it would still be perfectly acceptable as a GPA booster class, like the electives you take in your first year or the side classes you take to pad out your course schedule in your final year. I know of plenty of classes that are offered at my school that are far dumber that basically serve the same purpose.

Edited by Tornado

The only mistake I could make is falling for them but I already did that. XDDD

This calls for probably the only acceptable use of the song

ONLY. USE. Well, besides the game it's from :P Warning, the song is fucking explicit (see what I did thar?)

I want to take the class, dammit! Film class with zombies would kick major ass.

EDIT- Wow, I just realized that's one short song. 2 minutes... wow. Always seemed longer on the game's menus. I mean, I know that the instrumental version is looped throughout the carnival level, but still... wow.

Edited by GameFarnsworth940

Best school ever.

Best class ever.

Do not argue, you will be wrong.

Hell yeah! I wish I can go there and take that class. I want to get my degree in Zombies! :D