Awoo.

Classic games that you waited WAY too long to try out

Solid SOAP

So in other words you are very bad at jumping. Because the level design isn't even close to being shit.

That's the thing about Megaman games. If you fuck up, it's your fault. They're not going to hold your hand though it, if you trip up it'll slap you in the face with it's dick. If you don't trip up you'll be the best of friends.

More like, if you fuck up, then you didn't memorize enough of the level. Once you do the entire game takes a good 20 to 30 minutes of your time and it simply isn't as fun as other platformers to me. Oh yes, I'm definitely just 'bad at jumping', because I certainly haven't been playing platforming games for over 15 goddamn years. HAHAHA, what a fucking riot. Don't give me that shit.

You can like the classic Mega Man games all you want, but don't get on my case because I don't get any sort of masochistic pleasure out of its level design. XP

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just last night I downloaded Kirby Superstar off the virtual console. It'll be my first Kirby game!

Fucking legendary game, I highly suggest doing co-op with a friend or whoever you can find who'd want to, it's a great game and it's made even better with the awesome co-op system.

More like, if you fuck up, then you didn't memorize enough of the level. Once you do the entire game takes a good 20 to 30 minutes of your time and it simply isn't as fun as other platformers to me. Oh yes, I'm definitely just 'bad at jumping', because I certainly haven't been playing platforming games for over 15 goddamn years. HAHAHA, what a fucking riot. Don't give me that shit.

You can like the classic Mega Man games all you want, but don't get on my case because I don't get any sort of masochistic pleasure out of its level design. XP

I totally agree with this. I'm sure Mega Man is much easier if you've been playing it for years, but they are NOT games anyone can just pick up and play. I know a lot of old 8-bit games were hard as hell, but I don't have fun when a game just cheaply forces death on you over and over again just because you don't have things memorized.

Besides, as Chooch said its just not as fun ans other platformers. It feels generic when compared to Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid (Yes, I count old school Metroid games as platformers, or at least the original) Ninja Gaiden, or the zillion trillion other franchises.

More like, if you fuck up, then you didn't memorize enough of the level.

This is pretty much just Quick Man's stage. Which honestly I have no idea what they thought they were doing.

I can't think of any other part at all, except the disappearing tiles in Heat Man's stage (and by then you should have Item No. 2) that requires any memorization, and that can still be done without it. I really, really recently played through Megaman 3 all the way through (always gave up because the last boss always takes me down within three seconds) and there isn't much problem in that one either.

Oh yes, I'm definitely just 'bad at jumping', because I certainly haven't been playing platforming games for over 15 goddamn years.

Let me clarify then.

The jumping in Mario games? Easy.

The jumping in Sonic games? Easy.

The jumping in Megaman games? Not easy.

If you don't have the whole of the jumping down, then you will have an even harder time with the game. Most of the difficulty is not from the levels, but the enemies and bosses, if you know how to work the jumping right. If you have the jumping (which is honestly the only real issue you would have if you can't do the levels without some level of ease) then you have a good portion of the difficulty gone. The rest is shooting at things, and the jumping knowledge helps you do that.

It sounds weird that you have to figure the jumping out, but it's a little different than Mario or Sonic or even some other Megaman games, and it's necessary to play the game right, and it doesn't take long. Once you do, the platforming is pretty much cake (except the damned disappearing tiles, and only if they're above bottomless pits.)

I don't see where you're coming from with 2 or 3, I only started playing them seriously a year or two ago, and I find their levels fairly manageable, other than a few parts. Though with 9, I could see where you could get "required memorization" from, as most of the levels were pretty hard, can't speak for 10 though, haven't had time to play it, or buy it.

But while I find the Classic series fun, I can see where one could dislike the more punishing platforming

Edited by Ekaje

It took me forever to try out the classic Mega Man games, only last year did I finally get round to it. Beforehand, I honestly didn't have a clue who Mega Man even was, until a friend told me. Anyways, at first glance I wasn't really that amused seeing as I'm not a fan of shooting games, plus the level designs looked awful, but as soon as I started playing and put on the headphones, I was proved wrong. Ok, admittedly I was never all that impressed with the actual gameplay, but to this day I still can't go a day without listening to the music <3

Klonoa's another I didn't have a clue existed until like 2 years ago, only last December did I finally get round to playing one of his games. Admittedly wasn't that impressed, I mean Klonoa 2's alright, but I can see why he never made it big.

Oh and Zelda, I hadn't played a single Zelda game up until 2 years ago when I obtained the first Zelda game on an NES in Animal Crossing. I really wasn't impressed, atall. But hey, you can't like everything I guess, but I can see why I totally avoided the series for so long, heheh.

This is pretty much just Quick Man's stage. Which honestly I have no idea what they thought they were doing.

Really? Quick Man can become really easy once you learn the force beam patterns and learn how to dodge his attacks. (Heck, you don't even have to learn how to do the latter well if you can get that E-Tank at the start of his stage.) Heck, most of the time when I play Megaman 2 he's actually my starting point.

...But then again I can't beat Woodman buster only so I'm not really in a position to talk about what is easy in Megaman 2 and what isn't. :V

I can't think of any other part at all, except the disappearing tiles in Heat Man's stage

...And, you know, all the times that that gimmick is re-used again and again. Also you can not say that the first time you played Megaman 4/any game past Megaman 4 (Because IIRC this is where this type of enemy first appeared) you can not say that those enemies that jump out of the bottomless pits did not get you on the first time you played through a level with one without any prior knowledge to them being there. And going back to Megaman 2, the buebeam trap (AKA Wily 4's boss) requires you to know exactly which barriers you can and can not blow up with the Crash Bomber otherwise you can't win that boss. Also I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the devil bosses, as they are purely down to memorisation.

(and by then you should have Item No. 2)

Not everyone knows the best order to go after the robot masters in.

I really, really recently played through Megaman 3 all the way through (always gave up because the last boss always takes me down within three seconds) and there isn't much problem in that one either.

That's kind of a bad example, Megaman 3 is probably the easiest game in the classic series.

and it's necessary to play the game right, and it doesn't take long. Once you do, the platforming is pretty much cake (except the damned disappearing tiles, and only if they're above bottomless pits.)

This I agree with, although the block patterns become easy once you learn them.

And I'm not trying to bash the classic Megaman games here. I think they're great, definitely some of my favourite platforming games, however I do agree that a large part of the games are down to memorisation. If you don't learn the weapon weakness cycles, most of the time you'll be killed. If you don't learn how certain enemies or bosses work (And even this isn't going to save you in some cases, as bosses like Slash Man's tar bombs are completely randomised in where they drop) or if you don't learn certain enemy placement, they will kill you. I do agree that if you keep at it it will eventually become easy and once they do they are really fun platformers, but until you reach that point they are very hard to pick up and play.

It's only been a tad over a year since I first played Chrono Trigger. I started playing and I couldn't put it down. I also wish I had tried out Harvest Moon earlier then I did. That quickly became one of my favorite series once I started playing.

This is a late reply and a bit off-topic, but I HEAVILY recommend you try Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii if you ever get a chance. It's basically Harvest Moon meets Dungeon-RPG and I think you might love it.

This is a late reply and a bit off-topic, but I HEAVILY recommend you try Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii if you ever get a chance. It's basically Harvest Moon meets Dungeon-RPG and I think you might love it.

Actually, I'm playing through that right now. I'm in Winter of Year 1, and I'm absolutely loving it. Harvest Moon is one of my favorite game series, so I was bound to give this a shot. I also have the first Rune Factory on DS, which was alright for a first attempt. Frontier fixes pretty much all of my complaints.

Actually, I'm playing through that right now. I'm in Winter of Year 1, and I'm absolutely loving it. Harvest Moon is one of my favorite game series, so I was bound to give this a shot. I also have the first Rune Factory on DS, which was alright for a first attempt. Frontier fixes pretty much all of my complaints.

Yay! Ilove the game too but glad you're playing it, and I agree Frontier fixed a lot of the DS version problems.

Gives me an idea for a topic actually... Anyways on games I started way to late to play, I have one.

Paper Mario. I played Paper Mario: Thousand Year door and Super Paper Mario on release but it wasn't until recently I bought Paper Mario on Virtual Console and currently in Chapter 6. Loving it so far though I think I like Thousand Year Door a tad more minus some of the fetch quest. Still completely enjoyable even today.