Awoo.

"Sonic Colours is for everyone"

Detective Shadzter

We've complained in the past about Sega's confusing marketing for Sonic Colors, with several claims that the game is designed entirely for kids, while Sonic 4 is designed for older fans. When I asked Sega why we were being discouraged from playing Colors, which looks excellent, Sega of America wanted to clear the air and state for the record that we older fans are allowed to enjoy the game.

"Sonic Colors is for everyone! Let’s say that right out of the gate," says Sonic senior brand manager Judy Gilbertson. "But to clarify further, we definitely don’t want to isolate any of our fan base -- we’re absolutely thrilled to see the positive reaction Sonic Colors has gotten from fans and the excitement in the community about its upcoming release on Wii and Nintendo DS.

"Obviously, everyone at SEGA has a deep-rooted love for the Sonic franchise, and we’re always working on bringing new and exciting Sonic experiences to our fans. This year, we have three very different but equally great Sonic titles coming out; each with their own unique design philosophies and approaches to gameplay and all of which are created for Sonic fans and gamers, both those new to the franchise as well as those who have followed these games from the very beginning."

"With Sonic Colors, we’re looking to deliver a fast and fun Sonic experience that blends both 2D and 3D game mechanics in a way that a lot of fans have desired for some time," Gilbertson adds. "But we’re also looking to create a game that is accessible to younger gamers as well as our ‘core’ fans.

"In short, Sonic Colors is designed first and foremost to be fun; the emphasis is still on everything that makes Sonic great, so there will be things there that will please long time fans in addition to elements in the game designed to bring in new Sonic fans as well. We expect that all of these aspects of gameplay will result in an experience that gamers of all ages will truly enjoy. And the game is a great compliment to both Sonic 4, a title that focuses on that retro style of gameplay and is also being released later this year as the first true sequel to the SEGA Genesis line of games, and Sonic Free Riders, which is the first game of its kind on Kinect this fall.

"Sonic fans continue to be vocal and supportive of their favorite franchise and we’re very aware of, and appreciate, that loyalty and dedication. In short, there’s something for everyone in our Sonic line up this year."

So there you go. Whatever's coming out of Japan, Sega of America's official stance is that Sonic Colors has is intended for everyone, even creepy old men like us who really should stop thinking about big-eyed blue hedgehogs! It's a good thing, too, since Colors may very well be a terrific game and I'd hate to not be allowed to play it.

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-sonic-colors-is-for-everyone--183380.phtml#ext

You can all stop complaing now ;)

Well, DUH, if the writers of MadWorld are doing the story and dialogue for the game, it has to be for everyone. This is not to mention that the game itself look challenging enough for older players. I think Iizuka was just using stock answers to get the interview out of the way when he said the game is specifically designed for kids.

Well, DUH, if the writers of MadWorld are doing the story and dialogue for the game, it has to be for everyone. This is not to mention that the game itself look challenging enough for older players. I think Iizuka was just using stock answers to get the interview out of the way when he said the game is specifically designed for kids.

Or....he's just bad at English and didn't know how to say it, or it was bad translation.

Good that they cleared that up. It was obvious to me, but it got annoying hearing everyone whine about Iizuka saying the game is for kids as if that matters.

iizuka him self explained what he said at the GAME interview :

We wanted the early age audiences to enjoy the game and not just the core audiences

Click here To Check the Full Written Review

When digitalchumps asked iizuka if he meant that its for Kids only in that GAME interview. but he said its not just for kids, its for the fan base as well , and accessible for every one.

Edited by speedduelist

Nice going SoA. It just seemed like they were saying Sonic 4 was for old fans, and Sonic Colors is for new fans. If they were looking at the overwhelming positive response to Colors though, the first 3D game to get hype in a while, they wouldn't make excuses for it like that. The gamers will decide that thing anyways.

When I asked Sega why we were being discouraged from playing Colors
It's a good thing, too, since Colors may very well be a terrific game and I'd hate to not be allowed to play it.

It's comments like these that really tick me off. Just because a game is directed towards children doesn't mean you are being discouraged from playing. Noones forbidding you from playing it (I'm thinking they are joking with the second statement, but a lot of people were saying that serious).

I've noticed Destructoid says a lot of shit. Is that their thing?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

It's not Destructoid, Marcello, it's Jim Sterling.

He's very opinionated and he can come off as quite the dickhead.

Edited by Chooch

You know..... there is a reason why the rating is called E- for everyone. It means its for everyone. E doesn't mean its for people between the ages of 6 and 12.

Same with UK rating of 3+, it means people from 3 to 103 can play this game.

Goddamn it folks. Just because somebody says its aimed at kids, doesn't mean only kids can play it.

I have no idea why anyone at SEGA would ever claim anything but this. What could they possibly have to gain by saying that a game isn't for everyone?

I guess this statement is going to make a few people who haven't been following the game's development feel better about picking it up, but it isn't exactly a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.

Oh, thank God. Iizuka's original quote was absolutely stupid. At least SOMEONE doesn't have their head up their arse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You know..... there is a reason why the rating is called E- for everyone. It means its for everyone. E doesn't mean its for people between the ages of 6 and 12.

Same with UK rating of 3+, it means people from 3 to 103 can play this game.

does that mean, when i am 104. i can't play sonic colors? D=<

Wow SEGA, when I become 104 and you won't let me play this game :(

Edited by speedduelist

Oh really, SEGA of America? Sonic Colors is for everyone?

Is Sonic Colors for the multicolored robot demographic? Because of what I saw it is promoting biased hate crimes against them by blue furry hedgehogs.

• Thumbs Up 3

I understand multicolored robots are a minority in this country, but c'mon dude, you're missing context. These multicolored robots are not representative of the whole; They're villains that just happen to be multicolored robots. Why can't we have multicolored robot villains in games anymore? Are you only here to promote an unrealistic view of multicolored robots? If so, I'd say you're just as discriminatory as you're accusing Sega of being.

You had better be grateful they're even getting a part in the game anyways. Remember, we can't even have demonic lava demons represented anymore because those xenophobic, right-wing nut jobs are going to be fucking bitching about it forever. dry.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watching the gameplay and seeing people getting D's in the game, yet still loving it has proven that this game is for everyone. It's good to see Sega finally come out and say that.

Now Sega, learn your lesson and don't let Takashi Iizuka talk during an interview. Simply for leading the team that has made a modern, 3D Sonic game look this good, on the Wii no less, he is my hero, but just don't let him talk. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew that this was for everyone, but the original comments sort of concerned me if this was aimed for kids and not the general fan base. However, now with the air clearing up I feel like some people who had no interest might reconsider. I know I'm still picking this up regardless of others' opinion manly because it looks like a solid title.

To be honest I don't mind either way, I have fun regardless of what game I play in the Sonic series. The same can't be said for many other games out there...

Besides, I'd rather have an easier more enjoyable experience over a frustratingly hard one.

I couldn't give a shit about whether or not I'm in the intended demographic. If a game looks fun, I'll play it. I'm not going to let the age-ists get me down.

As opposed to UNdemonic demons?

Edited by SuperStingray