Sonic unleashed... had rap?

Eternal EX

werehog with rap  

49 members have voted

1. 1. do you say yes or no

• yes
    • no
    • I dont give a damn

So I was on the Sega forums, and I saw a topic about... were-hog with rap music. At first I was like WHAT. Then I saw THIS. LOL biggie's song went soo good with apotos.

I just want your thoughts about it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• Eternal EX

• ovarloard

• Random Rhyme

the problem is, is that it isn't the right rap music to be used in a sonic game.

I would think more of beats like in madworld

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhh... no. I think the jazzy stuff suited the Werehog just fine thanks, lol. Rap is Knuckles' thang.

Music can greatly effect the experience. In this case, that video actually made the werehog stages look more enjoyable.

Though this rap is a little too mainstream for the games. I'll admit, even though I don't listen to rap, I did enjoy the lounge aspects they used in some of the songs, like in the Apotos and Holaska parts.

The funny thing is the sound director of sonic unleashed was also the music arranger and composer for the rap in sa2's stages. It would be interesting if he went back to trying out some rap like that.

Also, that reminds me, what ever happened to Hunnid-P ??

This made me chuckle. X3

If this were Knuckles' gameplay, it would work very well, just like in SA2. And with Werehog it does work pretty well too. Just as long as they wouldn't suddenly switch to different music during a battle part. That would suck. D:

I voted yes, but er, those rappers are all very..gangsta-ish. XD; I always thought Cyprus Hill would work better for Werehog stages though! Where are they on that list they chose in that video?

Edit: I just noticed how very chill out-ish some of the rap songs are. Now THAT would work brilliantly for Werehog! <3

Edited by Gabz Girl

This made me chuckle. X3

If this were Knuckles' gameplay, it would work very well, just like in SA2. And with Werehog it does work pretty well too. Just as long as they wouldn't suddenly switch to different music during a battle part. That would suck. D:

I voted yes, but er, those rappers are all very..gangsta-ish. XD; I always thought Cyprus Hill would work better for Werehog stages though! Where are they on that list they chose in that video?

Edit: I just noticed how very chill out-ish some of the rap songs are. Now THAT would work brilliantly for Werehog! <3

Recently Gangsta Rap is dying down in favor of normal Rap or Hip Hop as some people call it. All of the new artists are not into the Gangsta type music so if they ever reconsider bring rap back to the Sonic Series it won't be affected by anything Gangster.

Uhh... no. I think the jazzy stuff suited the Werehog just fine thanks, lol. Rap is Knuckles' thang.

The funny thing is the sound director of sonic unleashed was also the music arranger and composer for the rap in sa2's stages. It would be interesting if he went back to trying out some rap like that.

While that's true, I think the music guys just do whatever style they think is right for the game. I have a total music crush on Fumie Kumatani because I love most of her melodies, but in her Sonic career, she's composed the Biolizard's Theme from SA2, the hub world tune for Mazuri and all the music in Empire City in Unleashed, The White of Sky (Skeleton Dome) from Secret Rings, and Babylon Garden from Sonic Riders.

Though it's entirely possible they have higher-ups anyway, so even if they wanted to have done rap/hip-hop for the Werehog, they might have been given a brief of "generally speaking, some jazzy stuff".

Although overall to be honest, no matter how jazzy (Skyscraper Scamper) or not jazzy (Cool Edge) the Werehog music was... most of the time it was actually quite atmospheric, and really captured the feel of the nightlife of that particular country, be it the silent calmness of Apotos, busy pace of Empire City, cold isolation of Holoska or the deserted yet vibrant streets of Spagonia.

I normally don't like rap. So I would have to say that I wouldn't like to see rap in a Sonic game for anyone but Knuckles.

Unless SEGA comes out with something that is likeable... but they haven't yet done so.

City Escape?

What about the whole Secret Rings level soundtrack? (besides "High and Broken", for Levitated Ruin)

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

If there's one thing good about Sonic games, it's the soundtracks. Level music is absolutely mint.

I liked the Jazz for Unleashed, I suppose the rap would've been OK too, but the jazz theme was pretty freaking cool. I only wish they had a variation of it for later levels, haring the exact same thing eventually got a little tired.

*dies* Yes please~ XDDD Sonic Unleash lacked a mix of music I think... Though I loved the music, I suppose I like something different once in a while too.

Though I agree with people whom have mentioned above, its a Knuckles thing... though the Werehog is very Knuckles-ish. lol

I don't think the Notorious B.I.G. is the righ music for the werehog. I can find a few more suited for a fight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8sAp6ayuRg-Ludacris-Get Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXZ8O3zkY7E-Whoop dat Trick!

Lol of course those are just for laughs. They could've used a more hip hop beat for the fights, something more bouncy, the jazzy shit is just annoying after a while. I don't think rap usic is necessarily Knuckles' thing, because Sonic sounds good in hip hop also.

Meh whatever, it doesn't matter as long as it's upbeat I guess.

AwWwWw YeEeEaAaHh!! Bodaciously jammin' tunes there, fellow street poets! Fuckin jam worthy to no end!

You make City Escape cry.

first of all,

That's the music that played during the SA 2 Demo that came with PSO. In that demo, Sonic has his regular shoes, not those Soap things. It's kind of funny, adding lyrics to "Escape from the City", especially the nature of them, seems to fit right in with destroying Sonic's image like that. They made him a sell out... Can you get any more out of character than that?

first of all,

That's the music that played during the SA 2 Demo that came with PSO. In that demo, Sonic has his regular shoes, not those Soap things. It's kind of funny, adding lyrics to "Escape from the City", especially the nature of them, seems to fit right in with destroying Sonic's image like that. They made him a sell out... Can you get any more out of character than that?

Sorry but adding lyrics to that song really made the stage soooo, great (in my opinion). I probably wouldnt remember that stage if it wasn't for that song+lyrics. Singing in sonic can stay unless the song sucks. (SATSR soundtrack IM talking to you!!!)

I have a total music crush on Fumie Kumatani because I love most of her melodies, but in her Sonic career, she's composed the Biolizard's Theme from SA2, the hub world tune for Mazuri and all the music in Empire City in Unleashed, The White of Sky (Skeleton Dome) from Secret Rings, and Babylon Garden from Sonic Riders.

Didnt Fumie composed almost all the night and hub themes of SU? Thats what says at the tags of the OST Planetary Pieces.

I have a total music crush on Fumie Kumatani because I love most of her melodies, but in her Sonic career, she's composed the Biolizard's Theme from SA2, the hub world tune for Mazuri and all the music in Empire City in Unleashed, The White of Sky (Skeleton Dome) from Secret Rings, and Babylon Garden from Sonic Riders.

She did a hell of a lot of stuff for Sonic Adventure too, such as the Chao Garden themes. She's also credited in Sonic Heroes. Good ol' Fumie's done more than you think. :)

And lol @ the rap in the video, good gag. Let's just keep Hunnid-P in our Sonic Adventure 2's and leave it at that though, eh? ("Echidona! That's what I'm representin'!" So awesome)

^ Yeah, I know Fumie's done a hell of a lot more than that. She did some PSO music too and a few other Sonic games I think. I cited those particular tracks as examples of how the music people at Sonic Team do a HUGE variety of styles. In her case for example I was showing how she's done everything from the surreal techno rock of Biolizard to the tribal stuff of Mazuri. Oh, and the eargasmic joys that are the Torando stages. <3

I think she was just a general sound person in Heroes though? The only track she worked on according to my tagged OST was the Emerald Challenge special stage theme, which was a collab with Jun anyway. Maybe she was hanging around at the music studios when she hadn't been asked to work on Heroes, and Jun was like "Hey come give me a hand with this I'm bored. D=" lol.

In Heroes, I thought she did the Castle stage theme (sorry, I dont remember the name) but surely im wrong.

And yeah, Fumie is so talented, at first I though her style was more techno-ish like the Gamma songs of SA1 or her PSO stuff (gotta say I love that style of music), but in Unleashed she does a lot of songs with different styles.

Edited by Ferr

I kinda liked the Knuckles rap music, I usually don't like rap but it wasn't degrading or bigging up any posses or money or anything; mostly peaceful and nature based, then again it's Knuckles right? ;) I think that suited him kinda well, even though his SA2 theme song was too heavy rap I think. I liked his jazzy blues rap whatever the hell music that is.

Personally; I think the Werehog's Jazz was perfect. Maybe they shoulda limited his theme, but it was an awesome theme; really gave him that cartoon violence effect, especially the stretchy arms. I also love the bass in loads of the Werehog music.

EDIT: I have to be honest and say I didn't know much about Fumie before, but wow; she's made some of the best music since Sonic went 3D o.o although personally I don't like the Empire City music.

Edited by SuperLink