Sonic unleashed... had rap?

Eternal EX

werehog with rap  

49 members have voted

1. 1. do you say yes or no

• yes
    • no
    • I dont give a damn

I can cope with levels with lyrics that's fine at times but I don't like it with Rap (Knuckles levels in SA2... ew!). However some levels are great with music.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• Eternal EX

• ovarloard

• Silencer226

I kinda liked the Knuckles rap music, I usually don't like rap but it wasn't degrading or bigging up any posses or money or anything; mostly peaceful and nature based, then again it's Knuckles right? ;) I think that suited him kinda well, even though his SA2 theme song was too heavy rap I think. I liked his jazzy blues rap whatever the hell music that is.

It wasn't that bad I mean Pumpkin Hill just made a full rap about Knuckles which made me extremely happy that they could mix my two favs together. Having more rap in it can include more fans into the mix.

I hope the next game in the series brings back Rap, I would rip it and play it everyday in an instant. Lyrics or not.

Edited by Shade737

I didn't even know Kumatani-san was a woman! :0 Her music is awesome though, yus.

As for the SA2 rap songs, I loved 'em, including the the main theme (better than SA1 IMHO~)! They didn't annoy me at all, I thought they really worked with those Treasure Hunting stages. It made them alot less boring. ;D Er, well, except for Rouge's stages! >3>

You can't spell crap without rap! lol

Meh, not a big fan of rap, though I do like the stuff from the 90s and prefer the orchestrated music without lyrics for Sonic games.

Yet if there was rap/hip-hop group to use I suggest The Beastie Boys for the most part. Though I like to see Daft Punk being used in a Sonic game even though they're mostly techno/electro than rap. There is this :P (don't worry it isn't a rapping dog).

I think the rap genre actually fits Knuckles quite well. It really only gets bad rep mainly because of it's "gangsta" connotations. Granted, some of the lyrics in his songs are subpar (unlike Sonic I don't chuckles) but I think rap sort of gives the aura of isolation and self-reliance which is something I really think fits Knuckles character. (Or at least the character I feel he should have.)

Rap in unleashed??

YO YO I'm SOnic the were hog

I'm here 2 say

I'm the ugliest MO FO in the USA

FO REAL THOUGH

The FLASHDANCE theme would be cooler

I AM DEAD SERIOUS

"Oh what a feeeeeeeling!"

Edited by Stuart twentythree

Before folks start dissing rap/hip-hop, understand that whatever the lyrics that would be put into the soundtrack would be made to fit the theme of the game or the level. If even Snoop Dogg were hired for the lyrics and the music, there's no way in hell it would would have any thing close to the themes in his discography and he would of course have to make the music fit the level's atmosphere for it to go through.

Most (read: not all) folks who hate the rap in the Sonic games mainly do so because of the whole "gangsta" lyrics and sterotype of mainstream rap, and due to that they pay absolutely no attention to how different the lyrics in SA2 vastly differ from those you'd hear on the radio in their tone and atmosphere.

Seriously, how does the music in Aquatic Mine have any lick of similarity to Soulja Boy, 50 cent, Snoop Dogg, etc.?

They've already had Hip-hop/R&B singer Akon guest sing for the ending theme of Sonic 06, and that was pretty grand if you ask me. One of Sonic's greatest themes throughout the series has been to explore various cultures, including their style of music, so it's not a bad thing to include rap along as one of the series genres. We have just about every other genre.

Could use some more R&B tho.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

heres a funny video with rap in empire city, it fits the level well! =P

Hmm...

It's really strange as to how Ludacris' "Move Bitch" track fits so well with Sonic blasting through Empire City like that, even with all the language that people wouldn't naturally tolerate for the series.

heres a funny video with rap in empire city, it fits the level well! =P

HA HA!

Man what a video. The part that made me crack hard is just when sonic boosts the robots out of the way, the song goes "GET THE FUCK OUT MA WAY!!"

Damn that was hilarious.

Let's just keep Hunnid-P in our Sonic Adventure 2's and leave it at that though, eh?
I just want to know what happened to the guy.

("Echidona! That's what I'm representin'!")
This is actually why I want him to return :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Edited by lounge

Ehh... it did fit empire city BUT he was going to slow! He shouldn't taking soo long to finish that stage.

Ehh... it did fit empire city BUT he was going to slow! He shouldn't taking soo long to finish that stage.

Blah everyone's a critic, I don't play for time I play for enjoyment. Plus... my Sonic wasn't completely leveled up. I would record it again but it sucks playing on a small laptop screen. -_-

*goes to play Empire City in under 2 minutes*

This post makes me sound upset...

Edited by silencer226

Haha, I do too. Except after playing a few stages a thousand time I try to wreck on my previous time. BTW I saw tons of shortcuts you could've taken during the first 1:30mins. (okay 5 at most but still)

That was hilarious! XD It did fit well with the stage. Maybe rap just works with New York-esque city stages?

The part that made me crack hard is just when sonic boosts the robots out of the way, the song goes "GET THE FUCK OUT MA WAY!!"

Ditto, I loled. <D

Didnt Fumie composed almost all the night and hub themes of SU? Thats what says at the tags of the OST Planetary Pieces.

I like the Unleashed songs, but I preferred one of her compositions for Secret Rings - Blue on The Run.

Can't spell Crock without Rock. Had to get back at AC, sorry. CSS had a point. If an emcee were to lay it down on the mic for Sonic Team, he would do it clean. I suggest hiring Lupe Fiasco because he is already a fan of Sonic and he is one of today's better lyricists. I mean the guy in SA2 was killing the Wild Canyon theme song.

(Sonic): I'm doin 100 on da highway, so if you do the speed limit GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY!

^Who didn't crack up on that part? :lol: That would totally be something Sonic would say.

It's also wierd because that part right there somehow convinces me that the Sonic series could do just as good with a few swearwords...just a few tho. Don't want it to end up like ShTh.

Hell with that song, I'm starting to be convinced that even Ludacris would actually do a good job with a rap track for a Sonic stage. I've always liked Ludacris', just like his namesake his lyrics are just funny when they're suppose to be. ^_^

Still makes me wonder why they didn't do a Tokyo stage.

How could nobody suggest Charles Hamilton, he is already into Sonic, way more than Lupe Could ever be. He has mixtapes with Sonic for crying out loud that just screams Sonic Fan.

Edited by Shade737

Here's the instrumental version of Paris Tokyo, one of the songs by Lupe Fiasco. The beat is really fantastic and laid back. <3

That sounds good for a nightime hub. You know , I think Fumie could do something like that, (with Unleashed she had to stick to styles representing the locations of the game.)

first of all,

That's the music that played during the SA 2 Demo that came with PSO. In that demo, Sonic has his regular shoes, not those Soap things. It's kind of funny, adding lyrics to "Escape from the City", especially the nature of them, seems to fit right in with destroying Sonic's image like that. They made him a sell out... Can you get any more out of character than that?

Well, actually...this is probably what you meant, right?

This version had a guitar playing the main melody, and in fact the melody is completely different from the original (and IMO is superior over the final version). And yes, lyrics did indeed ruin this level entirely. The old version of "Escape from the City" was SO much better.... =D

Anyways, back on topic.

As much as I hate jumping bandwagons, I also believe Rap = Knuckles. Sonic and rap isn't exactly a good combination (see Zebrahead's version of "His World").

Well, actually...this is probably what you meant, right?

This version had a guitar playing the main melody, and in fact the melody is completely different from the original (and IMO is superior over the final version). And yes, lyrics did indeed ruin this level entirely. The old version of "Escape from the City" was SO much better.... =D

With video game music, while I feel the quality is important, I think how it fits in the game is even more important. Otherwise, it may as well not even be in a video game. Personally, I think the lyrics are what made the level so memorable. In fact, most of the time I prefer it when the levels do have lyrics. It gives the level more character and it gives a greater understanding of the playable character's intents as well. And I can't see how City Escape's lyrics "destroy Sonic's image" so much as improve it. They reinforce Sonic's idea that life's a game of luck and that you have to keep moving to play it.

Edited by SuperStingray

I actually think zebrahead's "his world" was fantastic, way better than C40 version. ZH's music is usually fast, upbeat and/or furious,