Awoo.

Phantasy Star Online 2! Open Beta now!

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Promising stuff so far. The more character customisations we see the better, I'm just dying to know how easy it'll be to recreate my PSO1 characters in HD. =D

EDIT: Vid didn't work for me. Wouldn't play and when I tried to skip through it it was just 10 minutes of black with no sound. D=

Edited by JezMM

It's a good thing my brother has a computer that blows the requirements of this game out of the water, because I don't know if my laptop would run it too well.

More Youtube (again, it could be the same video, I don't know, my internet is killing me, at least I know this one is longer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuN9T_IX24

EDIT: okay I watched the vids, the first movie (the one in Megaupload) works so Jez, you might want to check your player or redownload the file.

Both Youtube videos are the same, but the short one has lower streaming quality and it shows a little more of the interface at the end.

EDIT2: The enemy AI needs some improvement and the dodge seems a bit overpowered, but I'm guessing this is going to be fixed later. (alpha build and stuff)

Edited by gato

Oh man the forest area is SO open! He's jumping all over that shit! Where the hell are the doors? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS.

Eeee a chunky percentage of the sound effects are the same as PSO without being so many there's no sense of newness. The lobbies look big and epic like the originals did (well not ORIGINAL originals, the Dreamcast ones were kinda lame). Music sounds PSO. Everything is just so...

ARGH I WANT IT.

Hope someone makes a vid of character creation. In particular I want to see if there are plenty of costumes from the start. Only non-PSO Phantasy Star game I've played is PSP2 which, while good, I hated that you only get like 3 or 4 outfits at the start and must buy the rest.

Edited by JezMM

New indeed, I only skipped through but it's much more in-depth than the previous one. A lot less standing around and a lot more doing stuff. Also gave us a not-too-detailed but not-too-brief look at the character creation.

Also boob-jiggle physics confirmed it seems to those that care. Lol.

My PC better be able to handle this. I thought getting the original PSO for the gamecube would help to fix my longing for this, but what did it do? It made it worse. This is going to be absolutely amazing! I can't wait to find out some more about the storyline, too. itt'd be nice if they started to tie things together.

HNNNG, so excited for this fucking game. I wonder if it's going to have a subscription fee or be free to play online?

So it's a dmc lite combat styled PSO with above average character customization, randomized stackable "interrupt events", multiple planets with multiple environments per planet, and THE ABILITY TO JUMP!!!??

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

HNNNG, so excited for this fucking game. I wonder if it's going to have a subscription fee or be free to play online?

I have to say I would be totally cool with free-to-play for one character and then a charge of say $10 or so for each additional character.

It's most likely going to have a suscription fee.

Which I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if I will be able pay (for a lack of an international credit card)

So it's a dmc lite combat styled PSO with above average character customization, randomized stackable "interrupt events", multiple planets with multiple environments per planet, and THE ABILITY TO JUMP!!!??

I don't think the bolded part is true, we still don't know about that.

Anyway.

Lots of info here and a video. Try to check this link along the day because it gets updated (if there is any update) every once in a while.

Tiny Rappy spotted:

wwwdotuporg1923966.png

Vashyron @PSOWorld forums says these are the stats of the Zanba (Original PSO rare weapon):

viplodanet10056.png

There were a number of streams going on but I couldn't watch them. (and I don't think they are ON right now so I'll not link them)

Also, Vashyron is trying to upload 1 hour and 30 minutes worth of streamed footage, so keep an eye on this thread.

UPDATE1: I'm not sure how streams work, but Vashyron said one fo the streams got "archived".

Whatever that means (it doesn't load past 4 seconds for me) you can watch it here.

UPDATE2:

Ok guise. Uploaded a 40 min stream here:

http://www.multiupload.com/0QLICHO7SL

Also uploaded this 9 min one that is terrible quality and has no sound, wonder if it's even worth it but eh:

http://www.multiupload.com/QFFY8JAODY

UPDATE3:

More footage from Nicovideo (I can't watch it, you need an account for this one)

RANGER GAMEPLAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEZq3zCp9Yk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHDeGVxGzM&feature=player_embedded

UPDATE4:

OK this is the Nico video I posted a few pages back,

23 mins of someone messing around character creation with a female.

http://www.multiupload.com/9Q72DIS6EN

(The 2 Ranger videos are almost uploaded.)

Edited by gato

I have to say I would be totally cool with free-to-play for one character and then a charge of say $10 or so for each additional character.

I'd have to agree. I think "Freemium" would benefit SEGA too. It would mean more sales, and people are really willing to do transactions for exclusive items and bonuses in MMOs.

I think it'd be wise to do something like it, and they did do it with PSU in Japan. So it's actually quite possible. Who knows to what extent it'll be F2P though.

TBH sometimes I'd rather play a flat rate for an MMO then have to inject money into it for microtransactions

I'm not a huge fan of flat rates these days because, you know, there are other games to play. Sometimes you get bored of a game but not so much you don't think you might eventually come back to it.

I paid for PSO for about three months of NOT playing it at all before I finally decided "okay seriously I've gone off this game I cannot keep paying for it". And as predicted eventually I did "get in the mood" for it again, unfortunately after the servers had shut down, so I got it on GCN for the nostalgia. A short while later I got in the mood once more and this time discovered SCHTHack so that was nice.

But point is I'd rather not pay monthly because I am fickle with games like that, especially RPGs (PSO is a huge exception in my usual gaming habits).

I'm going to go way off topic here but:

I paid for PSO for about three months of NOT playing it at all before I finally decided "okay seriously I've gone off this game I cannot keep paying for it". And as predicted eventually I did "get in the mood" for it again, unfortunately after the servers had shut down, so I got it on GCN for the nostalgia. A short while later I got in the mood once more and this time discovered SCHTHack so that was nice.

I play in that server too. tongue.gif

(or at least I used to, I haven't played in 2 months)

Okay, back to the news (after this round news are going to slow down a little as we are not going to have more alpha tests untill next week).

Alpha Test Status Report

Bonko didn’t really sound so happy about yesterday’s test. There was a high load on the server which caused considerable lag. Because of this they are not considering adding new participants to the 23rd test at this time. This only leaves those who were not selected to wait until the 26th and 27th to participate.

Also, apparently one of the guys recording got banned sad.gif , his character died for the greater good (?)

Some little bits of info I don't think they were posted in the previous PSUblog article (the one at the begining of my previous post)

• Some Hunter Tree Name Translations: Guard Stance Poison, Step Attack, Guard Stance Automate, Guard Absolver, etc.
    • HP Up from the Hunter Skill tree only gives 2 more HP. (Not %. It is 2+ Max HP, Lol.)
      • Photon Spheres are in. Description: "A large, beautiful photon crystal."
        • "Code Arrest" event is you getting back stolen data.

[*]More Items: Sub / Add Mind α, Arm / Blumiart, Razonde, Sub / Shot Resist β (RAZONDE is in the Alpha.)

[*]Units have restrictions, some are ok for all Leg/arm/back use, but some (non visual even) can only be equipped in one slot.

2 more videos (I think the first one is only music and I'm not sure if the second one is part of the already posted ranger vids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tscQ8UGOiEo

EDIT: aparently I can't tag more than 1 video, I know I can just put the link and the vide pops out but that means that video disappears everytime I want to edit the post, that is... Quite frustrating.

[*]Storage boxes are placed around the lobbies and camp ship for you to store and withdraw items. (Not confirmed if shared between characters or not.)

Edited by gato

I've been quite busy so the last day went by and I couldn't post anything of the second alpha test...

Sorry. sad.gif

Here are some Slowpoke news and (hopefully) some new info that will be added later:

More impressions from players and 4gamer.

Some really interesting data obtained from the client, though I don't have time to read it right now.

Now, as I said before, I have to lurk around 40 pages in some threads to see if I can find some new videos, I'm really out of time right now but I promise that if there is something new (and according to the player impressions linked above, there should) I'll get it posted tonight. >_>

Update:

First (working) video of the day spotted. Shows how PA's can be charged (and only that, so yeah it's quite short).

There was FO video showing charged foie but it got taken down before I could download it. :l Here it is.

And another one, showing Barta and Zonde.

More gameplay. (I think is ranger gameplay, can't watch right now)

In a further inspection, the new stuff is supposed to show up in a latter test (might be the one coming up this Friday), this one is pretty much the same.

Also, I guess that guy getting banned seriously made some players think before start uploading stuff. :P

Edited by gato

I don't think the bolded part is true, we still don't know about that.

Edited by Omnis Doc Invictus

Wait, so are the areas gonna be reimaginings of the PSO Ep1 places, or are the first two stages just Forest and Caves for a bit of nostalgia etc?