Awoo.

Mighty the Armadillo

Vulpine

I wonder what happened to Mighty the Armadillo? I always played as him in Knuckles' Chaotix and I wonder what caused his disappearance, knowing that he never reappeared in Sonic Heroes and beyond unlike Vector, Espio and Charmy did. I heard something that his character designer owns the rights to him, but I am unsure if it counts as fact or not. It could be that he was originally in SegaSonic the Hedgehog (or Sonic Arcade) before he appeared in Knuckles' Chaotix. Then again, we will never know.

There is always the comics, but not everyone likes it. I would not be surprised if they manage to bring him back in a game, along with other "classic" Sonic characters that never reappeared in the new games. It may or may not be likely, unfortunately.

I don't really care about Mighty the Armadillo. I don't really care about Nack, Fang or whatever the hell people call that character these days either. I always liked Bean a lot, but alas, he's probably less likely to return than those two.

Even if they were to be miraculously introduced in a new major title all that would prompt is complaining about how different they are. Whether it be an annoying new voice or the fact that whatever vague 'personality' that people saw in the old games got skewed and they aren't 'true to their old selves.' We might just be better off without it.

Man, I remember when I saw the initial Sonic Riders trailer and I thought they were bringing Bean back with a modern redesign. I sure as hell was disappointed..

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I wonder what happened to Mighty the Armadillo? I always played as him in Knuckles' Chaotix and I wonder what caused his disappearance, knowing that he never reappeared in Sonic Heroes and beyond unlike Vector, Espio and Charmy did. I heard something that his character designer owns the rights to him, but I am unsure if it counts as fact or not. It could be that he was originally in SegaSonic the Hedgehog (or Sonic Arcade) before he appeared in Knuckles' Chaotix. Then again, we will never know.

There is always the comics, but not everyone likes it. I would not be surprised if they manage to bring him back in a game, along with other "classic" Sonic characters that never reappeared in the new games. It may or may not be likely, unfortunately.

Sonic Team weren't really involved with Chaotix. They own the rights to him, but simply aren't bothered. The rest of the Chaotix were really introduced as brand new characters in Heroes, as though KC never happened.

Edited by Blue Blood

Mighty's lame. He's basically a carbon copy of Sonic, and was never meant to be anything more (in the games, that is; he's different in the comics, but I've no interest in them). In SegaSonic, he and Ray are just fillers, copies of Sonic for players 2 and 3. In Chaotix, he's an edit of Sonic, a remnant of the switch from Sonic Crackers to Knuckles Chaotix.

I mean, of all the characters that could be brought back, Mighty is easily last on my list. Everything about him is cribbed from Sonic; he has nothing unique to offer, whereas even the lamest of the other forgotten characters at least have something of their own. If he were brought back, he'd either be a pointless clone, or he'd have to be redesigned almost from scratch, as something almost completely alien to what he originally was.

and I wonder what caused his disappearance, knowing that he never reappeared in Sonic Heroes and beyond unlike Vector, Espio and Charmy did.
Because it was Heroes where they were brought back. Heroes worked on 3-man teams, and Vector was a more interesting Power character and Espio a more interesting Speed character (and obviously Mighty's not going to cut it as a flight type).
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't want him to come back. We have enough characters as is. He had zero personality and was just a copy of Sonic. But if SEGA did bring him back people would complain about how there's ANOTHER character. Much hilarity would ensue.

I thought Mighty had an interesting design, but that's about it. Knuckles is far superior to suit the "red" character in the series. Mighty just doesn't have a whole lot going for him like others pretty much have said. I do think if any of these trashed characters returned, it'd have to be a character with more unique characteristics. Bean with explosives could be a cool bring back, and Fang with sharp shooting skills would be pretty fun too. However, even with the near no-chance way of these guys making a come back, they'd probably only serve as Eggman henchmen as a mini-boss or something. Hmm, at least that's all I'd want them as.

-Blur

I wouldn't mind seeing Mighty get a cameo as an NPC or something, just for nostalgia's sake. He really doesn't have enough going for him to warrant a proper resurrection, though; he has no personality or unique abilities to speak of, and I personally find his design pretty boring. I'd prefer most further additions to the cast to be one-time characters who have plot-specific reasons to be hanging around, like Chip or Curly. Er, Yacker.

Mighty's more than just a reskinned Sonic to me. I don't understand how Shadow is a hedgehog, Silver is a hedgehog and not a mink, but then people have trouble accepting a character with a shell and curly ears. In terms of gameplay he's a lot like Sonic in his appeared games. But Sonic only appeared in Chaotix's prototype, so that's Mighty's game. Metal Knuckles is another character with one or two appearances that people would take over the return of Mighty. Another character robot? Mighty's got classic obscurity cred for me. He was booted from the Chaotix on account of Heroes and maybe Sonic X, which in terms of characterizations weren't great. He'll always be the fourth Chaotix to me.

Edited by Dabnikz
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mighty is said to be a traveler who wants to see the whole world, he also hates violence. The whole Chaotix cast met by chance on the 32X game Chaotix, the English Manual was wrong (all of the old English Sonic manuals were full of disinformation) Also Espio was the ONLY detective back then, Vector was an athlete who played Basketball ect, Charmy was a racer (fastest Bug in the world it said, hence the helmet) and Heavy and Bomb were Robots who rebelled against Eggman I guess. They never knew each other prior to the games events, sadly it is said that Iizuka did not bring the old Chaotix Characters but made new Chaotix Characters with the same names Vector,Espio and Charmy, in other words 32X Chaotix never happened, Mighty does not exist and Team Chaotix don't Know who Knuckles is...this could change in the future however.

Newtrogic High Zone

Newtrogic High Zone is the setting for most of Knuckles' Chaotix - with the exception of the first level, Isolated Island, which depicts Knuckles and Espio's approach to the area. The US and Japanese manuals tell completly different stories about the Zone's provenance, but the latter states that it's a theme-park-esque facility constructed by Dr. Robotnik in order to (somehow) expedite his search for the Chaos Rings.

Functioning as a sort of playable options screen for Knuckles' Chaotix, Newtrogic High Zone's entrance, known as World Entrance in the game's stage select, is where the player starts on loading up a save state. From here a second member of Chaotix can be plucked from the Combi Confiner, and the semi-random level selector determines which of Newtrogic High's five constituent areas are to be played next.

The apparently harmless level select machine ends up functioning as the penultimate boss battle, when Metal Sonic interfaces with a hidden docking mechanism and pits the substance of the level itself against the player!

PS. "Knuckles Chaotix" is a false name, the game was really just called CHAOTIX.

post-2138-12842572379548_thumb.png

Edited by Aries
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Mighty back. I would certainly take Mighty over the introduction of a new character. Metal Knuckles would be a cool villain reintroduction though.

As for Bean, well he's basically a green version of Dynamite Dux himself. Give DD a new game and Bean can be in that :P

Edited by MattTY
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mighty's cool with me. I like his comic portrayal of the mellow guy with IMMENSE strength. I'm totally cool with him being the stronger character between him and Knuckles. Knux is more of a brawler anyway.

In any case, I really don't care about the game stories. I'd be cool with him just getting a toy in Jazwares's line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mighty is awesome.

I never got the idiot naysayers who claim him to be a Sonic ripoff. Hello, pretty much all the characters of the classic era were Sonic gameplay ripoffs, albiet with some slightly additional moves.

What with Shadow and then Silver all being hedgehogs and then more than likely the next ten new characters that'll appear in Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours all being hedgehogs with a Super ability that turn yellow and have green eyes - Mighty is way more original.

As far as asthetics go I think Mighty is pretty unique, plus his design can be slightly tweaked for his modern return. Look at the Chaotix. Vector was skinny as until Heroes where they chunkied him up and gave him a "hip hop" vibe, Espio had none of the ninja garb he wears.

I think Mighty is prime for a return.

Mighty's cool with me. I like his comic portrayal of the mellow guy with IMMENSE strength. I'm totally cool with him being the stronger character between him and Knuckles. Knux is more of a brawler anyway.

I wouldn't like this so much. To me Knuckles should always be the strongest character. If Mighty were to come back just like his design's tweaking I think his abilities should get a tweak too.

Since Mighty is a pacifist I'd like him to have an ability that plays to that personality trait, have him able to create shields at will. Gameplay wise I can only see this working in a Sonic Heroes-like game where you spend time charging a shield whilst using other team members gameplay, then when you come to overly hard parts of the level you just bust out Mighty and speed through the insanely hard bits deflecting all the missiles/bullets/projectiles etc.

Sure gameplay wise it has limited use, but I think if we ever (fingers crossed) got the luck of having Mighty return then perhaps it would only be for one game, or as a minor role.

I would just be happy if Mighty had returned as a background character that you interact with in an RPG like Sonic Chronicles, which was alot of the reason why I thought that game sucked so hard as it had none of this.

In any case, I really don't care about the game stories. I'd be cool with him just getting a toy in Jazwares's line.

True! Let Jazwares make us our Mighty figures and we'll maybe stop bugging you about bringing him back SEGA

EDIT: Nack the Weasel is still more deserving to return than Mighty though!

Edited by The-Master-Board

If Mighty were to come back just like his design's tweaking I think his abilities should get a tweak too. Since Mighty is a pacifist I'd like him to have an ability that plays to that personality trait, have him able to create shields at will.

I think durability would be a nice gimmick for Mighty. Besides just strength, the name Mighty also suggests toughness. So however that works, taking hits without rings or whatever. Shields though? Nah, that's a Megamix thing. How about the shell he's already got on him? Both of these go well with being an armadillo and his dislike for violence.

Edited by Dabnikz

PS. "Knuckles Chaotix" is a false name, the game was really just called CHAOTIX.

It was localized as Knuckles' Chaotix when brought over from Japan. Sega was just too lazy to modify the title screen.

I never got the idiot naysayers
Now now, don't be a jackass.

who claim him to be a Sonic ripoff. Hello, pretty much all the characters of the classic era were Sonic gameplay ripoffs, albiet with some slightly additional moves.
Even when Tails played identically to Sonic (minus a Super form), he still had more going for him than Mighty. Tails' design was original, as were his sprites; Mighty has the exact same body and face as Sonic, and his sprites are blatantly obvious edits of Sonic's sprites (in Chaotix, at least; I don't know of any SegaSonic sprite sheets so I can't really compare them there). Tails shows off his own personality and abilities through his animations, like his yawn idle animation, his flight (before the player was able to do it himself), and his unique way of running, whereas Mighty is, again, identical to Sonic. Plus Tails was actually filling a decent role, as Sonic's cute kid sidekick/pilot; Mighty was just plain filler, a "Luigi" in SegaSonic and a literal replacement Sonic in Chaotix.

You can like Mighty if you want (though I'll be damned if I can understand why), but there's no rational way you can say he isn't a blatant Sonic ripoff.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is "ripoff" the proper term to use when he was designed to assist Sonic himself? Mighty's no more of a Sonic copy than Shadow if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never got the idiot naysayers who claim him to be a Sonic ripoff. Hello, pretty much all the characters of the classic era were Sonic gameplay ripoffs, albiet with some slightly additional moves.

Except Mighty didn't have slightly additional moves. And he was a Sonic rip-off. Stating a fact does not make people "idiot naysayers" because you don't like what they are stating. You can state up and down how Sega could "reimagine" him like they did with the rest of the Chaotix, but they could also just as soon make a new character.

What with Shadow and then Silver all being hedgehogs and then more than likely the next ten new characters that'll appear in Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours all being hedgehogs with a Super ability that turn yellow and have green eyes

Shadow, Silver and etc. also have distinct personalities. Not necessarily very good distinct personalities, but they still had them. Even Mighty's personality in the games was practically identical to Sonic's.

- Mighty is way more original.

Literally was Sonic with minor sprite edits and a palette swap.

Is "ripoff" the proper term to use when he was designed to assist Sonic himself? Mighty's no more of a Sonic copy than Shadow if you ask me.

Mighty basically is Sonic. Shadow is very much so not. If Mighty was designed by someone outside of Sega, Sega would have sued somebody. Then Mighty would have been like Makoto Mizoguchi and Sonic would have been like Ryu. The Blockblister to their Blockbuster. The McDowell's to their McDonald's. The DC Blend to their Starbucks. The Chery QQ to their Daewoo Matiz (hey, these are fun).

I wouldn't even say Mighty is the Luigi to Sonic's Mario, like Diogenes said, because Luigi has a specific place in the Mario games. Mighty is more like Waluigi. Or, hell, Mighty is like Ken in the original Street Fighter. Invented purely to pad the roster and serve as a expy of one of the other characters in games that don't have mirror matches.

Knuckles%27_Chaotix_Coverart.png

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Except Mighty didn't have slightly additional moves. And he was a Sonic rip-off. Stating a fact does not make people "idiot naysayers" because you don't like what they are stating. You can state up and down how Sega could "reimagine" him like they did with the rest of the Chaotix, but they could also just as soon make a new character.

But why not reimagine him? His fans are so very few, you could just gain a whole new fleet by revamping him. Worked for the rest of Chaotix.

Also wall kick.

EDIT: Here's an example. Bean wasn't a raving lunatic before Ian Flyn got ahold of him, and Bark wasn't really silent muscle. That's what they've become under his hand, and people love him all the same.

It might be a risk, but it's not a very big one. You forget that no matter how much Sonic fans complain, they still buy each and every game regardless.

Or, hell, Mighty is like Ken in the original Street Fighter. Invented purely to pad the roster and serve as a expy of one of the other characters in games that don't have mirror matches.

I JUST thought of this. At the very least, he'd be good for a party game or something. Hell, I'd rave have Mighty in colors than a silly red Sonic.

Edited by Aquaslash

But why not reimagine him? His fans are so very few, you could just gain a whole new fleet by revamping him. Worked for the rest of Chaotix.

But then you'd likely run into complaints on him being a "shitty character" by your typical complainers who don't know about him or it'll be said that they ruined his characters by those who do know of him if his reimagining doesn't go so well.

Also wall kick.

Can already be done both vertically and horizontally by Sonic and even Shadow and Espio (although only horizontally).

That's not a good reason to bring him back.

I don't think any of this changes Mighty as his own character though. Despite his origins, he is a classic character. I'd even say his design is so basic because he's a classic character. He's got his own bio and all that, and he's not another hedgehog.

And for the record about that wall kick (though I don't want to get into it again). It's not like other wall kicks. He flies up straight walls. Like there was a zipline attached to him.

Edited by Dabnikz

But then you'd likely run into complaints on him being a "shitty character" by your typical complainers who don't know about him or it'll be said that they ruined his characters by those who do know of him if his reimagining doesn't go so well.

But these are the people who complain about TAILS for Spark's sake. Their opinions shouldn't really be taken seriously if you ask me.

Can already be done both vertically and horizontally by Sonic and even Shadow and Espio (although only horizontally).

That's not a good reason to bring him back.

Of course it's not. That was just to counter the point that at the time, he had no unique moves. That's also a useless claim to make. He'd be given new moves on any kinda comeback. Vector sure didn't have flame breath back in the day.

Oh, and while I'll gladly fight tooth and nail for the underdog in this case, let it me known that Metal Knuckles forever tops my list of wanted characters to return.

I don't think any of this changes Mighty as his own character though. Despite his origins, he is a classic character. I'd even say his design is so basic because he's a classic character.

I don't mean to be blunt, but being a Classic character has fuck-all to do with anything as far as I'm concerned. That's one of the things I couldn't care any less about.

And for the record about that wall kick (though I don't want to get into it again). It's not like other wall kicks. He flies up straight walls. Like there was a zipline attached to him.

How does that make him any more valuable? That one move shouldn't be the only value he has to him.

But these are the people who complain about TAILS for Spark's sake. Their opinions shouldn't really be taken seriously if you ask me.

It's just something to take into consideration. I complain on just about every character myself, but it's well-known on this board on how serious I am on it...unless someone want's to be an ass, then...:D

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Despite his origins, he is a classic character.
The most pointless distinction, in my eyes...

I'd even say his design is so basic because he's a classic character.
Come on, every other classic character looks less like a Sonic knockoff. Hell, even Metal Sonic, a robot specifically modeled after Sonic, looks less like Sonic than Mighty does.

He's got his own bio and all that,
Basically just Sonic's personality, only explicitly pacifistic (except he still runs around smashing robots just fine?).

and he's not another hedgehog.
He may as well be. I'd rather see more hedgehogs that are distinct characters than have them waste other species making Sonic clones.

He may as well be. I'd rather see more hedgehogs that are distinct characters than have them waste other species making Sonic clones.

I agree with this. I really like armadillos, and I might like Mighty a little more if he actually somewhat resembled one. Now, I mean, Sonic doesn't look all that much like a hedgehog, but he at least incorporates a general theme of spikiness. Mighty... ehh. His shell might as well just be a red hoodie.

I do like the idea of giving Mighty a more defense-based skillset, though, and if the character ever were brought back, I'd love to see him taken in that direction. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing a totally unrelated character taken in that direction; it just seems like a cool idea in general.

Edited by Octarine