Awoo.

Marine the Raccoon.

Vulpine

Some person by the name of Blue Stage (or Nekomanma, or tamaro, or wahawara00 - I'm not particularly sure). You can check out Blue Stage's blog blog here and website here. Blue Stage has some beautiful works there, Blue Stage is an amazing artist. The websites are all in Japanese though, mind you.

(lol lack of personal pronouns due to me not knowing the artist's gender)

Oh wow.

The artist has a very nice style! I love the Nack artwork on there!

ファング

I like Marine. She's cute, she's a racoon and i like her australian accent. She can be annoying at times, but in a funny way. I think, she's a lot better, than that useless rabbit.

P.S. (don't say bad thing about Shadow. He's a great character! I agree with what was said about Cream and maybe Rouge though)

Edited by ArtFenix

I like Marine. She's cute, she's a racoon and i like her australian accent. She can be annoying at times, but in a funny way. I think, she's a lot better, than that useless rabbit.

P.S. (don't say bad thing about Shadow. He's a great character! I agree with what was said about Cream and maybe Rouge though)

Well now, Marine and Cream aren't that different at all, the former fills the "cute and trouble-maker" role while the latter fills the "cute and polite" role.

They're both naive young girls who often get into trouble, and their designs are nice and fitting.

As minor characters who appear only once in a while, I'm pretty fond of both of them, but I kind of prefer Cream overall. It's just a matter of personal taste though. :P

She was an annoying, godawful stereotype of a character, and what we call in my country: A Bogan.

Honestly, half of the shit she spouts out isn't even in use anymore! It's equivalent tosomeone making a game set in the U.S and everyone speaking like early 20th century gold rush diggers.

Raccoons aren't even native to Australia, for gods sake.

When I first saw Marine in Sonic Rush Adventure, I admit to (like a lot of people here, I'd imagine, although I don't want to assume anything so apologies if you didn't) entering what I call "Fan Toleration Mode". Basically, it means your favourite series has something we all know isn't exactly perfect, but you give him/her/it the benefit of the doubt. And defend him/her/it to anybody who'll blast him/her/it. Y'know, what we all do with Vector the Crocodile, right?

But hey, Marine proved me wrong and thank goodness I didn't need that mode for Sonic Rush Adventure. She was funny, feisty, cute and genuinely refreshing and yeah, I wanna see her show up in something again (although she probably won't).

I actually liked Marine. She was really amusing, "CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT AN EGGMANLAND IS?!" I think I actually laughed at that one! As long as I don't have to play as her I'm okay!

When I first saw Marine in Sonic Rush Adventure, I admit to (like a lot of people here, I'd imagine, although I don't want to assume anything so apologies if you didn't) entering what I call "Fan Toleration Mode". Basically, it means your favourite series has something we all know isn't exactly perfect, but you give him/her/it the benefit of the doubt. And defend him/her/it to anybody who'll blast him/her/it. Y'know, what we all do with Vector the Crocodile, right?

But hey, Marine proved me wrong and thank goodness I didn't need that mode for Sonic Rush Adventure. She was funny, feisty, cute and genuinely refreshing and yeah, I wanna see her show up in something again (although she probably won't).

I get where you're coming from, except maybe replace Vector with Cream, or Chip and the werehog which I only barely tolerated, but Vector is awesome!

Marine the Raccoon is my favourite female character. She just made me laugh really hard and she is so much better than Cream (Who I can never like because of Sonic Battle). In the Archie comics she is as funny, even making Shadow put on the face of doom.

Displeased_Shadow_Stamp_by_Code_E.png

I'm entirely apathetic to her. In Rush Adventure she was just kinda.. there and did nothing significant the entirety of the time she was on screen.

I can see why people may find her (at the most) mildly irritating but the idea of people vehemently hating her just leads me to believe that people maybe need to lighten up up a bit?

Edited by Chooch

• 11 years later...
On 9/11/2010 at 5:56 PM, ilcane87 said:

I quite like her, both design wise and personality wise, and I hope she makes an appearance in another game soon; hopefully we'll get a 3D model and voice actor for her too.

Oh my, I want that game! Badly! :lol:

The funny thing is that I do a Marine fan voice

• 4 weeks later...

I do feel like Marine is one of those characters that just need another proper shot to make things right. Like with other things, SonicTeam generally didn't quite know what they were doing when they were introducing her.

Her Australian accent was primarily done as a unique substitute for a certain Japanese dialect, which led to them exaggerating and misusing it because they didn't quite understand how it should actually sound--something that could easily be fixed if they either tone down the accent or simply hire an actual Aussie to proofread and possibly voice her.

And on the story front, she ended up being treated like glorified filler half of the game by frequently trying to milk comedy out of every scene despite or rather because there wasn't quite that much going on in the talking head style game. Sure, there were things with Whisker, the Coconut Crew, some polar bear Vikings, and later Blaze & Gardon, but there was evidently only so much they could do with those things while still progressing the story ever so much. Marine on the other hand was a more distinct guide character they could have be there throughout the game to give it a different feel while still letting the heroes do their thing.

But speaking of which, there's the matter of exactly how much of a nuisance she should be. They clearly intended for her to come across as a helpful nuisance in contrast to the other five characters, but ended up running it into the ground for reasons that were already covered. And that was partly so that they could have some development between her and Blaze by the end of the game, where the latter very bluntly but mindfully tells her just how in over her head she tends to get and how that causes problems with her overenthusiasm. That gets a cap off during the ending of the game Marine promises to do some growing up.

And despite going on to be remembered as one of the most annoying characters in the series and one that some are happy has seemingly remained a one-shot, why is it that so many seem inclined to want to use her anyway? On the game side of things, one might suspect she's a downplayed version of Blaze, Silver, and the Zeti as "characters SonicTeam seemingly wanted to do more with" given that she gets a mention in Colors DS, a Mii costume in Mario & Sonic(as do Emerl, Big, and the Werehog), got a anniversary manga(which were covering smaller name recurring characters like Charmy, Storm, and Nega), and was even given the okay for the mandated Olympic tie-in from Archie 222. The comics themselves have made memorably fun use of her in things like The Shadow Saga, Pirate Plunder Panic, OffPanel, and an appearance turned reference at the end of the Metal Virus Saga, with Flynn seemingly being unable to help himself despite considering her one of his least favorite characters. And that's nothing compared to how frequently the very large fanbase seem to mention, draw, and even animate her. Whileher design likely plays a part in that, Marine is clearly a character a lot of people seem to like using despite her infamy and you can't say it's even in a mocking sense a lot of the time.

Clearly, there's something to this character among others that can be done if she's simply used well. And the only way for that to be reinforced within the games themselves is if they finally follow up on her and do a better job this time, which isn't that hard to do. There are plenty of ways characters like her can be done in an endearing way that still has yet to be followed up on due to SonicTeam just not having the need to use her again(Iuzuka was genuinely curious as to whether people really wanted to see her again when she was asked about, even if he ended up laughing when the crowd suddenly reacted otherwise) and her rambunctious nature being her main defining trait. 

And what really helps is how Rush Adventure ends with the afformentioned promise alongside her being friends with Blaze and having displayed some genuine abilities, which all provides a framework for how subsequent appearances could be handled. Even if her simply accompanying Blaze to Sonic's World is more feasible, the best use for her character would no doubt be in another Blaze centric story--something both 06 and Archie seemed to want to do at some point. This would do well to be accompanied by a more competent Marine, who while still having her characteristic bluster and thirst for venture, is more likely to realize when she's overstepping, even while having some capacity to handle herself, and ultimately defers to Blaze's guidance. 

• 2 weeks later...

What I think about first and foremost regarding Marine the Raccoon is that this one time I totally had the shining and predicted her existance. Some time before Rush Adventure was revealed I partook in a online discussion about what kind of new character we could expect from the series next, and I said "A 7 year old squirrel girl from another dimension". That's pretty fucking close.