Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Day Stages...

Chaosmaster8753

I haven't played the game, i admit

but i can see the obvious

Seriously?

YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME.

You can't see anything.

but this is paralytically not what i want.

Whaaa...?

Edited by Ovarloard
  • Thumbs Up 1

You want more? Spagonia. Mazuri. Holoska. Empire City. Chun-Nan.

All of those have very decent amounts of platforming in them. Spagonia, Mazuri, and Chun-Nan allow skipping the platforming, but that's a player choice.

Hmm that is weird, maybe because i was watching. i still don't like the idea of be able to Skip platforming,

but they look pretty fun, i would like to try them out.

but any ways, so we can be both on one page, i prefer the classics platforming much better that is my opinion.

Edited by speedduelist

Hmm that is weird, maybe because i was watching. i still don't like the idea of be able to Skip platforming,

but they look pretty fun, i would like to try them out.

Skipping platforming segments has been around since Sonic began. There's always a quicker route.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay no. Regardless of what you people argue about, we'll have none of this insult-tossing.

The clue is in the words "BEING A" as opposed to "ARE A".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You wouldn't like it if I said you were being a dumbass, would you?

I don't care how you word it. Don't do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I cannot even think of a game outside of the Sonic series that constrains your range of travel that much that often.

Edited by JezMM

They're pretty clearly outliers and aren't really much fun either way. They're designed like Megaman levels, and Unleashed's control is neither cut out for making them fun nor able to cope with anything but a straight line... kind of like a Reliant Robin.

My god man have you ever played them or even played Unleashed HD ever.

HD version, if your not running super fast, Sonic is fine with movement.

Also they're fun as shit, just super hard.

According to Sonic Color's SoA producer, your really were supposed to boost the whole stage, which is why there were rings everywhere. This made Sonic pretty much invincible so they had to but a bunch of bottomless pits everywhere otherwise there was basically nothing that could stop Sonic. That's the explanation that Kieth Dwire gave.

And yet boosting the whole stage, if you're not a total expert, results in death.

Doesn't matter what it was supposed to be like, it's not.

And most of Holaska was taken up by water running (boost or die) and that bobsled (coasting only). Most of Adabat consisted of Water running or those three lane with the flying robot bits, not boosting through those is a great way to get a hit a whole lot.

I don't remember water running ever being boost or die. You have to boost a few times to keep up your speed but they're all doable without constant boost. In fact it's easier.

Also, the first half of Adabat is mostly water-running, but the second half is pretty decent in terms of platforming.

EDIT: Also, mentioning this here, I noticed that Spagonia contains about two spots where using the HA is really necessary. For most you can just jump-bounce, the one just before the QTE and long-ass rail for instance, can be bounced on to the point where if you do it right, Sonic literally just moves in a straight line up the row of them, not HAing, but from the bounce.

Edited by Galaxy Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

The extra stages don't take advantage of Sonic's unique properties, with the exception of a few that use properties introduced in Unleashed (drift, quick step, extended homing attack range). You could put most an Lu platforming character into most of them and nothing of value would be lost.

And whether or not abstaining from boosting actually solves anything (it doesn't, not really) is also largely irrelevant because we're still left with a game principally dependent upon surprise instakills for challenge.

Intermitently boosting on water is a great way to get into trouble thanks to the boost's jolt of speed that you're not really much less likely to die as a result. If you really want to cross water safely, you can hold down a trigger and wiggle that stick and snake your way to victory. Try it, you can cross water without boosting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanted to say I finally did it... completed Eggmanland without dying and thus obtainin ghte Hungry, Hungry hedgehog achievment. Of cours,e now the game wants me to do it TWICE more which is somewhat evil. At any rate, I did boost a lot. However, this is certainly not the way to every part, and certainly the 2D sections take caution to avoid the Egg-panels-of-pushy-death.

Also the tower section in the third speed segment is facinating as it turns Sonics speed against him. The basic design means you either keep going or stop and die. I think this is a good challenge.. you CAN try taking ti slowly but with rings trails and long jumps, the bets way to do it is fast and with quick reactions.

The extra stages don't take advantage of Sonic's unique properties, with the exception of a few that use properties introduced in Unleashed (drift, quick step, extended homing attack range). You could put most an Lu platforming character into most of them and nothing of value would be lost.

Running really fast and jumping?

I mean that's really all he has otherwise.

And whether or not abstaining from boosting actually solves anything (it doesn't, not really) is also largely irrelevant because we're still left with a game principally dependent upon surprise instakills for challenge.

They're only surprise instakills if your constantly boosting. That is the issue with the game, people think that a boost button means you can just do it all the time forever, and when it tries to get you off of that habit, it's unfair.

Intermitently boosting on water is a great way to get into trouble thanks to the boost's jolt of speed that you're not really much less likely to die as a result. If you really want to cross water safely, you can hold down a trigger and wiggle that stick and snake your way to victory. Try it, you can cross water without boosting.

The snaking method is actually incredibly harder. The jolt of speed you get from the boost is really nothing at all, if it throws you off you really shouldn't be playing the game anyways because you must be freaking out and throwing your controller across the room every time you boost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Running really fast and jumping?

I mean that's really all he has otherwise.

He also has what I call polynormal movement. A normal is the angle perpendicular to a surface, and most game characters aren't able to follow this angle, even if they are effected by gravity, such as Mario. Mario does follow the normal in a lot of cases, but aside from High Tail Falls, this is usually down to shifts in gravity rather than him following the surface. When Sonic does it, he is actually defying gravity.

The main stages only have this in a very limited number of places and usually in such a way where it doesn't really matter than they bothered. For example, the building running segments in Sky Scraper Scamper take place perpendicular to the ground, but have fixed entry and exit points and the meat of the section is essentially a quick time event. The extra levels seldom even go that far, often being constructed out of what might as well be blocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the daytime levels! I wish Sonic Unleashed consisted of just that, to be honest.

I'd like a version of Sonic Unleashed that was only the daytime stages for the PS360, with some extra acts added and a special boss for the "Zones" that don't have a corresponding daytime boss. No story, no werehog, no hubs, just high speed Sonic gameplay in beautiful HD.

I'd buy that.

(maybe a Sonic Colors engine version for Wii, too?) :3

2 words: MEDAL COLLECTING.

I like to find secret goodies, but this can get very annoying, since they tend to place the medals in the weirdest, most out of sight areas you can think of, and the fact that backtracking isn't always an option doesn't help much either.

Also, daytime stages focus too much on speed, and not a whole lot of platforming. To me, it looks like they split the Sonic game formula down the center: Daytime has the speed, while Nighttime has the platforming and other random gimmicks that get thrown in.

On a side note: Werehogs stages aren't too bad, they just tend to take too long, and combat can get repetitive.

The main stages only have this in a very limited number of places and usually in such a way where it doesn't really matter than they bothered. For example, the building running segments in Sky Scraper Scamper take place perpendicular to the ground, but have fixed entry and exit points and the meat of the section is essentially a quick time event. The extra levels seldom even go that far, often being constructed out of what might as well be blocks.

OH. Oh you're talking about level design of the games, not Sonic himself.

Yeah, we need more of that. The game was certainly capable of it (I remember this pipe in Adabat, you could easily run on any part of it you wanted) but it also seems like something really hard to put into the game. I mean, you'd end up running straight forward, unable to jump, and dodging things. Turning it into more or less a QTE with more control is the only way I can think of doing it well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually like both of the day and night stages in Sonic Unleashed, even though the majority like the day stages better. Oh well. That's alright, though.

This game was really boring imo. I played Sonic Advance 2 and TA'ed it. So I was used to all of the shit that can be thrown to you last second in these hold right or boost to win games. I can honestly say I enjoyed the werehog more but I'm a beat em up guy so mindlessly smashing on enemies was fine to me with some decent platforming. There is no real paths in the stages its like hit this bouncer you fly through rainbow rings or miss it and plow through some badinks. There are no more branching and different paths just an optimal or unfavorable path. Wii version made this a little more clear too especially in spagonia. The game was designed for 24/7 boosting and this is fine and all but it gets stupid when the boost hurts you. As someone stated earlier the stages after completion are very stale. I loved how they promoted "actual platforming!" but really it was just some stages with some hovering platforms you have to jump over to home in on a spring and proceed with pressing the boost button.

However I loved Sonic's model for unleashed. Its perfect! I like Chip too he was the lifting of the spirit I needed to complete this game. I never tried the DLC though...Maybe the stages got better?

Edited by AlexM305