Awoo.

Super Mario Bros: 25th Anniversary

Doctor MK

tumblr_l8dviogllr1qbj9xwo1_r1_500.jpg

As I'm sure we're all aware, next year marks Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th anniversary. But before that. on this very day in fact, we have another special anniversary to celebrate - one that seems to have been less hyped, undeservedly so. For today, Monday 13th September 2010, is the day that marks 25 years since Super Mario Bros was released in Japan.

That's right folks, Mario's platforming exploits have been with us for a quarter of a century now. Sure, he's technically 29 years old if you count his debut in Donkey Kong, but today we celebrate his solo platforming career, one that has changed the face of gaming forever and given us arguably one of the world's most recognisable icons.

Japan are receiving the uber-awesome Super Mario Collection to commemorate the anniversary, which includes four classic Mario games. But there's been more than just four classic Mario games. Nearly every non-spinoff Mario game has been a classic. Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2... each worth remembering in their own special way. Heck, we've even seen him teaming up with long-time rival Sonic in the last few years. How times change!

So, enough of my nostalgic rambling. Join me in the anniversary celebrations for everyone's favourite plumber! Perhaps Peach will finally bake him that cake!

What has been your favourite Mario game? What is your most memorable Mario moment?

And I'd like to pass on this message on behalf of Mario himself:

"THANK-A YOU SO MUCH FOR A-PLAYING MY GAMES!"

:P

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh shhiiittt

I don't own a Mario T-shirt.

fuuuuccck and my sonic shirt is the only clean one

i am going to feel like such a jackass.

My most memorable non-gaming moment would be meeting Charles Martinet earlier this year, he's such a great guy. Plus there was hardly anyone else there, so I got to have a nice chat with him. :D

On the gaming side of things, I'd have to say all the all-nighters me and my friends would pull on Mario Party 4. Hilarious times. :lol:

Happy 25th Mario and Luigi! You can't forget Weegi!

My most memorable non-gaming moment would be meeting Charles Martinet earlier this year, he's such a great guy. Plus there was hardly anyone else there, so I got to have a nice chat with him. :D

On the gaming side of things, I'd have to say all the all-nighters me and my friends would pull on Mario Party 4. Hilarious times. :lol:

Happy 25th Mario and Luigi! You can't forget Weegi!

Aw yeah!

highfive.jpg

I got to meet him this year too. At Gamescom. Sadly there were so many people waiting, that I didn't get to chat with him. I did get him to autograph Mario Galaxy and NSMBW, though. And I got a picture with him :) He was cool. When he was giving his autographs there was a panel where some people were playing NSMBW and he was dubbing it the whole time. Like when Mario fell down a pit and was walljumping to get out, Charles was like "OH no! Uh oh! Wah! Yippie!" All in MArio and Lugi's voices :lol:

AND HE SAID MY NAME RIGHT!

I've met Charles Martinet too! Twice!

Once on the day they announced the UK release for the Wii (he was over to help promote it I imagine) which was super awesome, and then again last year to promote the release of NSMBWii! Got a picture with him the first time and then got him to sign the Mario t-shirt I was wearing when I first met him the second time. Such a brilliant man, so full of energy and enthusiasm. A true inspiration to all Mario fans!

Also, here's a bunch of celebs telling us why they love Mario:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=19827

Jonathan Ross' favourite game is Paper Mario! He has just gone up in my estimations.

Edited by Doctor MK

Well that was nice, though I admit I have some kind of strange hatred for flicky-back-and-forth-talking-heads bits. They're so cheesy and none of them know the names of the enemies. >8I

I haven't really got much to add. I'm not surprised that Mario's anniversaries are less overblown because frankly he's always been at the top of his game. There's no need to pull out any stops and do something that special because he almost always is already.

But for my stupid talking head bit: My favourite game is still Super Mario 64. And that's not my favourite Mario game, that just simply is my favourite game.

Happy 25th Anniversary, Mario! It makes me want to wear one of my three Mario shirts with one of my two Mario hats. I think I'll go a few rounds with Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 64 later today to celebrate! Maybe I'll even play some of my favorite Mario game, Super Mario RPG, or maybe the first video game I ever played, Super Mario World. The possibilities are practically endless! Regardless, I owe a lot to the great mustachioed one and I'd like to pay my respects. Hard to believe it's been this long. Heck, I still have a no-longer-working talking Bowser plush from the N64 days. Man, time flies.

The german Nintendo site is doing a video contest for the anniversary (I'm guessing the other ones are too.) Where have I heard that before? :D You can win a Wii bundle. I dunno what with, though.. There's a big ad on the top of Youtube, too.

My favorite Mario games are either Super Mario World or Galaxy.

The german Nintendo site is doing a video contest for the anniversary (I'm guessing the other ones are too.) Where have I heard that before? :D You can win a Wii bundle. I dunno what with, though.. There's a big ad on the top of Youtube, too.

Yeah it's on the UK site too.

Apparently the first 5,000 participants to make it to the "Gallery" get a special reward.

INCENTIVE TO ENTER GET.

Huh. We don't get a stars talking about Mario video, we get a Mario history video http://www.nintendo....aum.html#/home/

Edit: The Mario Memory for 2007 is funny. It says " What seemed unimaginable in '80s, happened in 2007: in the spirit of good sportsmanship, Mario and Sonic starred in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games"

Of course it was unimaginable in '80s, Sonic didn't exist! :lol:

Edited by MarcelloF

The vast amount of memories I have playing Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3...

To me, SMB3 is just the best you can get, and considering how awesome the rest of the main series is, that's mighty impressive.

Sure, its more about the games than the characters, but there's still something oddly charming about Charles Martinet's whoops and cheers, and of course there's this:

post-156-12843938561032_thumb.png

I was going to start Super Mario Galaxy 2 later anyway, but there's that added bit of significance to the occassion now. I've been with him for a good 21 of his 25 years, and he's never really let me down.

I must say, even though I like Sonic more, Mario is very important to me. Super Mario Bros was the first game I played when I was 3 or 4 on my dad's NES with my mom :D. Without Mario I wouldn't be a gamer. D,:

My first experience with Mario (and likely my first experience with gaming) was either playing Super Mario All Stars on SNES or, even more probable, getting a Game Boy Pocket bundle with Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2. All fantastic games, and my love for the portly plumber has grown ever since.

From NES to SNES to N64 to Gamecube to Wii and all the handhelds in between, I've followed him throughout his journeys and I have no plans on stopping yet. He is an absolute icon through and through, his games never ceasing to amaze even after all this time.

So, here's to 25 glorious years of Mario magic. Gaming would be a very different place without him.

I haven't been buying all of the Mario games. I've bought Galaxy and SPM and got NSMBW for Christmas, but before that I hadn't gotten a Mario game in ages.

I am getting Mario Galaxy 2 soon, though. I'm pretty excited about it. And for Paper Mario 3DS.

So ,there, you can post now, Mk xD

Edited by MarcelloF

And so, the time has come. What a day to remember this shall be - my 1000th post here at the SSMB, on Mario's 25th anniversary, in honour of Mario's 25th anniversary! :D

There's only one way to celebrate such an occasion...

58677_150493881649329_149695828395801_326445_577138_n.jpg

CAKES! DELICIOUS CAKES! DELICIOUS 25TH ANNIVERSARY MARIO CAKES!

I sure want me some of those :P

[/1000th post]

Where are those from? They look cool. Are they cakes or cupcakes?

Though, I'm not a huge fan of that stuff they use to put photos on a cake. It's ok, but I don't love it.

Where are those from? They look cool. Are they cakes or cupcakes?

Though, I'm not a huge fan of that stuff they use to put photos on a cake. It's ok, but I don't love it.

The guys at Official Nintendo Magazine UK got sent them by Nintendo today. Lucky people!

Oh, and they're cupcakes, I believe.

Wow, I'm amazed at how little recognition this got beforehand... a 25th anniversary is a big thing and I'm just now hearing about it!

I'd celebrate with a Mario game, but I'm not really in the mood for one at the moment :P Nintendo deserves quite a congratulations though.

Calling all European Club Nintendo goers! The Stars Catalogue has just been updated with some awesome new Mario goodies!

Including:

- Golden Wii Wheel (4000 stars)

- Super NES Wii Classic Controller (7000 stars)

- "? Block" Sound Cube (2600 stars)

...and the motherfudging official Mario hat! Just ordered that for myself to commemorate today. 4000 stars, but worth it :)

Wahoo!

Well, what a day to wear my sonic shirt and not my mario one

Oh well. I remember the original very very fondly. First game I've ever played, passed down from my dad to me. My NES may not work anymore, but I've held onto both my cartridge (and other games) and my system. Thanks to the GBC, however, I can still play it (yays!)

My favorite Mario game probably has to be Super Mario World. I had it on the GBA, and lost it, so I now have the SNES version through Virtual Console.

happymariosonic7qv.png

http://www.sonicstadium.org/blog/2005/09/21/sonic-wishes-mario-a-happy-20th/

I'd completely forgotten about SEGA's Sonic art tribute to Mario for the plumbers 20th :lol:

Happy Birthday Mario! I like Sonic more, but I've grown up with Mario's games too and have so many memories of my time with them. The gaming universe wouldn't be the same without him. :)

...wait, it's Mario's 25th. No wonder I recognise that art from before, it's being recycled from Mario's 20th anniversary. Like, completely (assuming this is meant to be a new one).

And damn, the t-shirts sold out already? I would have loved one of those, if the website even loaded for me ;_;

EDIT: Ignore me! Just realised it's an old article :lol: Thought it was new, oh well! Still would have loved a t-shirt!

Edited by Doctor MK

This is more than I will ever be able to say about Sonic, but Mario is fucking amazing and I love his games. His quality has been consistent over the years and no matter which genre of game he tackles, there are always some gems to be found in it. Super Mario 64 is one of the greatest things to ever grace my game shelf and I can still enjoy it with all of my heart today (even though the DS port is crap). Something about it is very emotionally riveting, especially when I beat the game and watch the ending - it's hard to not cry.

I don't know what else to say. Mario games are just fantastic. Happy 25th.

• Thumbs Up 2

EU Wii owners, if you haven't seen it already, I just noticed there's a cool 'Super Mario History' video on the Nintendo Channel.