Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Game is meh, yet it's hard to find one more contemptible (Other M notwithstanding). Can't even laugh at how stupid it is. Speaking as someone who didn't play DMC until this generation I threw in the HD Collection, played 3 again and had the time of my life.

Yeah. Nah. Might pick it up once it starts rolling into the cheap preowned bin by the tenfolds assuming I won't have better things to waste money on.

Are you guys serious about despising this game? I went and played through the demo again to be sure on son of sparda, but after playing it I really can't see where the vitriol is coming from.

It plays, more or less almost exactly like a DMC game. I haven't played 4 in a long-ass time but virtually everything I remember doing in that game is kind of doable in this one too. I do not particularly like the dedicated launcher button, which reminds me far too much of MVC3 for me to take seriously, but I guess I can see why they did it when I think about the dumb angel/demon stance stuff.

The fighting itself is not that bad, especially when compared the NT's past efforts, you could argue it's too easy to juggle people forever but it's not like you couldn't do that in virtually every other DMC in history.

The main problem with the game are that based around the angel/demon stance stuff. I find it extremely awkward switching between the two stances, especially when it comes to the push/pull mechanic during fights. This is amplified by the enemies that require you to either be in angel or demon stance that show up on SoS. the fun of this game is using all three stances so having one enemy that I can beat extremely slowly as either red or blue is an exercise in frustration, and it seems to arbitrarily lengthen the fights.

The writing is also pure shit, but I haven't cared about story in games for a long time.

one other weird thing, why doesn't the game do the jump dash when you jump 3 times, instead of with the awkward lt+a combination. Basically everything related to holding the triggers is kind of shit.

Despite this though, it's pretty fucking fun. Grade system feels easier but it's still satisfying getting up to SSS in fights without getting hit. I found myself wishing whilst playing that there was an arena style portion of the demo where I could just try out the fighting without having to go through the whole stage over and over. I also like the parry thing but it's a little too easy to do if you're deliberately shooting for it. The most important thing is for a game to be fun to play, and whilst it's no bayonetta, nothing is. It's pretty entertaining despite that. Even the they live/inception style stage design works pretty well.

Honest question: Have you played DMC3 or 4? :I
For the record, DMC4 is not a great game.

Congratulations, Crapcom, you just raped another beloved franchise. I'm not even a massive fan of the original series and I still feel so...destroyed. Why was the characterization for Dante and Virgil so thoroughly butchered? Why is the dialogue so insultingly bad? Why is the once-amazing combat just brainless button mashing,

Probably because you're talking out your ass. Either that or you're awful.
  • Thumbs Up 1

For the record, DMC4 is not a great game.

The first half was. Then you had to go through it backwards for the second half, and it became merely good.

Probably because you're talking out your ass. Either that or you're awful.

Okay, saying it was just button-mashing while holding the trigger buttons was a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly came off as much simpler than DMC3 or 4. Maybe it gets more complex as you get more upgrades and such? But even if it does, the other flaws are still there, so yeah.

Are you guys serious about despising this game? I went and played through the demo again to be sure on son of sparda, but after playing it I really can't see where the vitriol is coming from.

I honestly am not liking the attitude from EITHER side the "fanbase". Right now most are acting like pissed off soccer moms on a Friday Night game...while Capcom in general have been real dicks about the games development (as well in other franchises).

Its like....seeing two very loud toddlers fighting over a pacifier. The DMC fanbase has really over blown this whole ordeal...to the point that I think most have developed sheep mentality and aren't thinking for themelsevs. :/

Games looks fantastic and plays ight...it not close to being revolutionary like DMC3/Bayonetta, but its Ninja Theory best crack so far at an action game...Hell its miles ahead of enslaved already.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, saying it was just button-mashing while holding the trigger buttons was a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly came off as much simpler than DMC3 or 4. Maybe it gets more complex as you get more upgrades and such? But even if it does, the other flaws are still there, so yeah.

The only simplification is the universal launcher on b. If we're comparing DMC4 here it's way more complex then playing as nero. Considering you have all of nero's moves (seriously, try it) plus the angel and devil weapons to complicate things further. Unlike Nero's one fucking sword.

The first half was. Then you had to go through it backwards for the second half, and it became merely good.
This is the worst part. you just get used to nero then you play the same fucking game, complete with bosses backwards. What a buttload of fucking horseshit.

Calling this shallow whilst praising DMC4 is rose tinted glasses epitomized. If you want a game that shits on this Bayonetta or DMC3 are better bets.

Just played the Demo that came out today. Holy fucking shit. Its great. I was a bit skeptical like most people but hell that cleared any doubts I had. Glad I pre-ordered this game and I am glad it uses the unreal engine because the game works fantastic with it.

The only simplification is the universal launcher on b. If we're comparing DMC4 here it's way more complex then playing as nero. Considering you have all of nero's moves (seriously, try it) plus the angel and devil weapons to complicate things further. Unlike Nero's one fucking sword.

I didn't mean that the combat was shallow. Shallowness and simplicity aren't one and the same; Kingdom Hearts II is "simple", but by no means shallow, for instance. DmC's combat, even if it gave you several options, felt like it didn't require nearly as much work or input as in DMC4 or 5.

This is the worst part. you just get used to nero then you play the same fucking game, complete with bosses backwards. What a buttload of fucking horseshit.

Didn't say it wasn't, but I still really enjoyed it. Then again, I played DMC4 before I played DMC3, so I didn't know what to expect from Dante's gameplay.

Buuut whatever. Guess I'll play the demo again to confirm this stuff, and see if it provokes the same reaction after I already know what to expect. Maybe playing on a higher difficulty level will make a difference...

All setting it to a higher difficulty did was make some of the enemies take longer to defeat and maybe do a bit more damage.

But anyway, about the Devil Arm thing, no, you most certainly do not have all of Nero's abilities. My memory of DMC4 is just a tad fuzzy, but I know that you could do a lot more with it than pull enemies toward you. The Devil Arm was a lot of fun to use. The grappling moves are just...a thing.

Not only that, but their use in the platforming elements is pretty lame, too, since literally all you have to do is hold one of the trigger buttons and press X. Once again, it's so utterly simplistic that it adds absolutely nothing. They can make all of the additions they want, but if they don't meaningfully add to the experience in a positive way, they're pretty much useless, such as the angel and devil stances. Again, maybe they become more significant later on, but the big problem here is that this game...really isn't that much fun, to me. It's okay at best by its own right, but as a Devil May Cry game, it's unforgivable.

Oh yeah, Broken Base up in this bitch.

It's a reboot put together by a guy who made it known from the start that he was intentionally going to be pissing off fans. Whether it turns out good or not was always irrelevant.

We're lucky that people haven't been calling for arson.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

But anyway, about the Devil Arm thing, no, you most certainly do not have all of Nero's abilities. My memory of DMC4 is just a tad fuzzy, but I know that you could do a lot more with it than pull enemies toward you. The Devil Arm was a lot of fun to use. The grappling moves are just...a thing.

you can pull people towards you, grapple shit and throw stuff. The grapple move is missing but it was kind of OP/ridiculous and annoying in DMC4 anyway. The other thing missing is the sword rev system that was mostly useless except for trying to score a random crit. Otherwise he's the same. From roulette to stinger.

All setting it to a higher difficulty did was make some of the enemies take longer to defeat and maybe do a bit more damage.

Wrong. Enemy types on SoS are completely different and almost all the enemies have new moves exclusive to the harder difficulties.

Not only that, but their use in the platforming elements is pretty lame, too, since literally all you have to do is hold one of the trigger buttons and press X. Once again, it's so utterly simplistic that it adds absolutely nothing. They can make all of the additions they want, but if they don't meaningfully add to the experience in a positive way, they're pretty much useless, such as the angel and devil stances. Again, maybe they become more significant later on, but the big problem here is that this game...really isn't that much fun, to me. It's okay at best by its own right, but as a Devil May Cry game, it's unforgivable.

I honestly have no idea how you can't enjoy the fighting in this game. and don't say it's because the enemies are stupid punching bags because that's practically classic devil may cry.

I can understand not liking the platforming. I agree that it's fairly shit, especially after Bayo who's walljumps and climbing make run and jump a non issue, this game feels particularly awkward, but the fighting is actually great!?

The most important thing people are complaining about in this game still happens to be, more or less aesthetics. they don't like the look of the new dante. Whatever.

So I played it. First time I played a DMC game.

It's not as bad as you guys are saying. The combat was pretty fun, but the controls are a bit shit. The platforming is just awkward. Over all, it was OK.

Also, this Dante is a douche.

I presume the other DMC games are better? I'm certainly interested in them now.

Edited by Wraith U

1,3, and 4 are better if you ask me. The controls are a lot better, but they all have their fair share of awkward platforming.

And Dante is actually likable, so there's that.

You could always just buy Bayonetta instead.

Edited by Pinkamina

Is there a Devil May Cry HD collection by any chance?

Yep. 1, 2 and 3 all in one package. 2 isn't so good, though, better off getting 4 as well to play that instead.

Granted, 2's version of Dante is still light-years better than DmC's, because he doesn't much talk and isn't a complete jackass.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

There is absolutely no reason in life to ever put yourself through the abomination that is DMC2 knowing how colossally awful. Saying that DMC2's dante is better is pretty damn misleading considering what a load of fuck the rest of the game is. At least DmC is playable/fun.

I still stick to saying that DMC4 is worth playing instead of 2, however. 4 is a flawed game, but still pretty damn fun.

And quite frankly, the character/enemy models in DmC look like absolute garbage compared to DMC4, which has absolutely amazing character/enemy models, especially close-up, how the hell they managed to pull off such high-quality models/textures on those things, I'll never know. The only thing DmC really has going for it are the environments, but I think they're still rather overrated anyhow.

Edit: GLITCHES AND NON-ATTACKING BOSS AHOY. This shit is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts00KdUYAqY&feature=player_embedded

... Oh, Christ, my ears. The soundtrack is TERRIBLE.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 4

DMC 3 is the best out of the lot, but do not EVER play that first until you have played 1. It pretty much goes like this: start with 1, avoid 2 at all costs, then play 3 or 4 in which ever order. Play 1 before 3 is a massive disservice on account of the controls; I died in the first freaking level before reaching the boss because muscle memory had DMC 3 stuck to it...really, who in the fuck assigns the jump button to the fucking triangle button on the PS2? Seriously?

Now, I have yet to play the demo of this game, and my dislike is firmly in the story and aesthetics than it is the gameplay. But at least I can keep in account that it is no where near as good as 3.

DMC 3 is the best out of the lot, but do not EVER play that first until you have played 1. It pretty much goes like this: start with 1, avoid 2 at all costs, then play 3 or 4 in which ever order. Play 1 before 3 is a massive disservice on account of the controls; I died in the first freaking level before reaching the boss because muscle memory had DMC 3 stuck to it...really, who in the fuck assigns the jump button to the fucking triangle button on the PS2? Seriously?

Now, I have yet to play the demo of this game, and my dislike is firmly in the story and aesthetics than it is the gameplay. But at least I can keep in account that it is no where near as good as 3.

The jump button being assigned to triangle wasn't bad. It was strange but not to the point where it's unplayable.

I'm probably the minority that thinks 1 is the better game in terms of atmosphere and enemy design.

I just think it looks better, can pick it up and play at anytime.

Also, I'm hearing dubstep music in the boss fight for the DmC demo.

Isn't Dante supposed to be some kinda punk in this game? Why doesn't the music compliment the character like it did in DMC 3?

The jump button being assigned to triangle wasn't bad. It was strange but not to the point where it's unplayable.

Dude, that was hella bad and there's absolutely nothing to defend in that choice. Most, if not all games that allow you to jump at a button's press assign it to the button that's closest to your palms when you need to press at a notice moments, and in the case of the PS2 that button is the X button. Assigning in to the Triangle was stupid idea, even if I were to have started with 1 first.

That's not suggesting it was unplayable, but it damn well got me killed a number of times because I pressed the wrong button to jump up to avoid something. There was probably a Control Setting feature in the game to where I could set it up the way I preferred (and I probably used it to fix that problem and make the experience less stressful, but it was several years ago and I don't fully remember. Not to mention I sold the game and kept playing 3), but it should go without saying that that wasn't a smart choice, small as it may be.

At the very least, they addressed that when 2 and 3 came around. So in their defense they've learned from that mistake.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Some of you will hate me for this, but I infact love DMC2. I beat that game plenty of times. I dunno why but something about it that I like alot. Its regarded as like a Sonic 06 of the series (or at least that is what some people make it seem). I guess I have low standards but whatever. I am just a big fan so I guess the inner fan in me loves the game haha.

Edited by Urban Flow

Dude, that was hella bad and there's absolutely nothing to defend in that choice. Most, if not all games that allow you to jump at a button's press assign it to the button that's closest to your palms when you need to press at a notice moments, and in the case of the PS2 that button is the X button. Assigning in to the Triangle was stupid idea, even if I were to have started with 1 first.

It's a dumb choice, sure, but like I adapted to it with the click of a finger.

I always end up pressing triangle when I play a DMC game because I'm thinking of the first.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back, but I'm so good at DMC and I've always used the triangle button and nothing else, I'm quick to react and I'm sure as heck competent at getting S ranks every level.

The triangle button has never been a hindrance.

I probably couldn't play the first if I assigned it to 'X' 'cause I'm so used to it being specifically used in that game.

I'm weird like that.

Edited by Hatsune Miku/Alice

Yeah, and I'm so good I can beat Vergil by only using Ebony and Ivory in Trickster mode without a scratch. It's easy to dick around in the game once you've gotten the hang of it.

My biggest problem playing DmC isn't the shitty new characters, the god-awful writing or even the fact that it isn't even as good as DMC3. My main beef is how the game feels like it's had an identity stripped out of it. It doesn't "feel" like Devil May Cry to me anymore. It has the surface but it doesn't really get the substance and it just feels like it lacks an identity.

Anyone remotely versed within the genre can easily tell that despite the series being founded by the same creators, DMC and Bayonetta distinctively had two subtle but massive differences in design philosophies. At it's core DMC was a game about being stylish and having flow. The third one was open ended to a degree that combos were a byproduct of clever move usage, timing and strategy. Bayonetta abandons that in favor for preset combos focusing on proper use of a vast assortment of weapon switches and there are so many damn options baked into the package that every approach just works, and it's more about finding your preferred way of fighting. Devil May Cry vs Bayonetta is basically the beat em up equivalent of Guilty Gear vs BlazBlue. Everyone is going to have their preferences as to which is better but it's pretty much undeniable that each games execute what they're going for so damn good to the point of perfection.

I don't get that from DmC. It has the flair but I'm not getting the depth, and I can't respect that this particular game feels like nothing special when the series it hails from has such a distinct nature and partially kickstarted the 3D beat em up genre, even if the game can be found enjoyable. It's DMC as envisioned through the scope of God Of War and Heavenly Sword, and it's just not doing it for me.

Bla bla bla 30 fps linear scripted sections unreal engine what the fuck is the point of the scripted platforming that hasn't become better since Enslaved etc.

• Thumbs Up 7