Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

New gameplay from Vergil DLC released by Capcom Japan.

http://youtu.be/wqSqrEj8s7Q

Yay capcom. Lets screw up another series by adding to much story into it. 

What? Too much story? I don't get it. What is wrong with having a story?

Edited by Urban Flow

I think he actually means "making it darker and edgier", exactly what happened with Bionic Commando. And we all know how THAT turned out.

I think he actually means "making it darker and edgier", exactly what happened with Bionic Commando. And we all know how THAT turned out.

I guess it comes down to personal preference at that point ya know. I never played Bionic Commando so I can't say much on that. I honestly heard it was not that great. Though I want to give it a shot. I am not exactly a person who goes by the general norm anyways.

An underrated game buried by unfair criticism?

The achievement list had me chuckling a bit because the names given to the achievements are quotes from the other games. I find that kinda cool. I know almost everyone is upset at this new change etc etc. But one of the main reasons why I am not pissed is because this reboot has nothing to do with the original Japanese made games. Also because its not like the original part of the franchise is gone for good or completely out of the game. I think the gameplay is pretty sick, fast, satisfying, and not to mention complex. All which I adore tons. Anyways, all the bitching and complaning in the world won't get anything done or brought back. Change is necessary for things to evolve and does not always have to be bad. At least that is my point of view as a long time DMC fan.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/dmc-devil-may-cry/achievements/

Edited by Urban Flow

Or a boring, boring shooter with unsatisfying swinging mechanics and it has some of the most bizzare plot elements in gaming. I've played it, I got very, very sick of it rather quickly, and moved on to Prototype. 

It was fairly obvious at some point that someone on the Ninja Theory team actually gave a damn about Devil May Cry. And I hardly abhor reboots, I consider the first Spyro reboot to be vastly superior to its predecessor. That being said, I would be lying to myself and everyone else if I were to say that this game is even remotely a step forward, because it's not, it's several steps back. The narrative and characters are utter garbage, ripped straight out of They Live, the developers are arrogant assholes who deserve no respect, the gameplay is basically Heavenly Sword with DMC aspects shoehorned in, the style ranking system is broken, the feeling of fun and style present in the previous installments (one of the franchise's big appeals to me) is completely missing, and there is little in the way of actual difficulty below Son of Sparda.

I doubt it's terrible by any means, but the notion of playing as such a horrible, horrible protagonist with absolutely no redeeming qualities is abhorrent to me, as is the notion of giving my money to a developer like Ninja Theory.

Bayonetta set the new standard for action games. This game doesn't even remotely reach that standard, nor does it even reach DMC3's.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

As someone who never played any of the previous Bionic Commando games before the reboot, I can definitely vouch for anyone who says the game is boring. Sure it's fun right when you start getting the hang of swinging around, but then it becomes repetitive as hell the more you keep playing it.

I never even finished the game to this day.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Or a boring, boring shooter with unsatisfying swinging mechanics and it has some of the most bizzare plot elements in gaming. I've played it, I got very, very sick of it rather quickly, and moved on to Prototype. 

BC and Prototype are Apples and Tomatoes. BC would have been terrible if it took cues from that.

I'm one of the few people in the world who actually enjoyed it to the point of calling it my game of the year. It had insane amount of replay value, some really fun mechanics and the combat was the best part of it. If you're just playing it to shoot things you were playing it wrong. Building strategy around your encounters, using your arm to fling enemies, Adrenaline to sweep the areas or performing easy takedowns or making use of the environment means that there's a tons of way to get creative with the game, and despite the weird momentum of the swinging, it was damn solid. Despite not being open, the level design was creative enough for it to be a blast to work around, especially the harbor areas. It was no Spider-Man 2, but what is? It felt great navigating the jungles and rooftops, and the bosses were fantastic. This is coming from someone who considered BC his second favorite Capcom Franchise and was a fan before the sequel even was released.

I'd also go as far to say that BC, despite the character redesign, was far, far more faithful than DmC is because the former is really a natural evolution to a 2D sidescrolling setup. Guns and bionic arms was really it; the remake introduced elements that were only expanded upon in the sequel, albeit not perfected, and while the original's wacky undertones are missed, there are still a deal of funny quips and clever moments in it that are true to form.

Retarded plot? Yeah I'll give it that. Then again, this is Capcom. The only plots I can think of that they've done that aren't stupid are games written by Shu Takumi, and even the original BC was really stupid. Neo-nazis led by a general want to resurrect Hitler in order to have him pilot a massive death machine that only he can pilot in order to take over the world? Alright.

DmC only really stagnates on a series' formula, it doesn't look or feel like an evolution, it's just something completely different that takes far, far too many liberties with it's source material and has a field day with it.

I'd liken BC 2008 to Assassin's Creed 1. Starts off good, picks up more, then nosedives and feels too routine. If they made a sequel to it that does it better, I'd definitely love to see it.

But as I kept playing it, I felt amazed only for it to wear out. The worm boss was rather awesome tho.

I gotta say, despite not having manual lock-on system, its like you don't even need it to begin with. The way you juggle and wreck your way to the next enemy is so smooth and responsive. How strange. Of course, if your coordination is not that great, this might be an actual problem for those certain few.

Edited by Urban Flow

Im a huge DMC fan and I have high expectations for this game. I'm excited for the new Dante because I felt like the old Dante was so badass but said the cheesiest things I've ever heard -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

Im a huge DMC fan and I have high expectations for this game. I'm excited for the new Dante because I felt like the old Dante was so badass but said the cheesiest things I've ever heard sleep.png

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not since its kinda hard to detect sarcasm through text sometimes. Well if you are not, I can agree to this in some ways haha. I think I know what you mean though. I actually like this Dante alot, I have no problems with him. His outfit is pretty cool, or should I say his coat. He sure does use profanity alot more loosely, which is fine by me, I am no saint either xD

Im a huge DMC fan and I have high expectations for this game. I'm excited for the new Dante because I felt like the old Dante was so badass but said the cheesiest things I've ever heard sleep.png

5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg

Go home kid, and try harder next time.

• Thumbs Up 1

BC and Prototype are Apples and Tomatoes. BC would have been terrible if it took cues from that.

Actually, the only reason I mentioned Prototype was because I had bought that game at the same time. I didn't actually mean to make a comparison, I just simply didn't enjoy BC.

And believe me, I'm not the type who just shoots stuff, this is coming from someone who likes to take pacifist runs in certain games.

And while the 'old' Dante said some cheesy stuff, Devil May Cry runs completely on camp - it's not meant to be taken seriously, and it knows it. Dante was fun, hammy, and very fun to play as, and actually gave a damn about anyone who wasn't evil. He's also surprisingly pragmatic at times, getting the drop on DMC4's main antagonist right at the start and putting a bullet in his brain right off the bat was awesome, even if he did look like he was killing some saintly old man at the time.

The 'new' Dante has none of this. There's literally nothing that makes me want to play as him. He's trying too hard to be 'cool', swearing like a sailor and being a dick to everybody without being even remotely witty about it, and just comes off as an asshole instead. There's no in-game taunts, and the lack of battle cries, as silly as it may seem, really removes the punch from combos. He dresses like a complete slob, a nobody, and both his looks and his behaviour makes it extremely difficult to believe that he gets all the ladies like the game claims he does. There's literally no reason why I should care about what he does despite being the designated protagonist.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 6

http://www.insight-factor.net/recensioni/dmc-devil-may-cry-recensione-review

7.5 review

*More accessible than its predecessors and a valid reboot.

*There is a "loss of depth" and the game is easier than previous games in the franchise.

*Overall experience is still nice and fun.

*Plot isn't that exciting or technically impressive... fails to rise to the occasion. Game might have scored higher by the review if it was better.

*The art design and different take on the fiction will not rest well with the stalwarts of the franchise but it's far from being a total failure.

*Omission of lock on is absurd and inexplicable. This results in comparatively more chaotic and less tactical combat than in the past.

I like how some negatives are seen as positive in other reviews.

HMV has an exclusive soundtrack CD as a pre-order bonus, as well as all of the other bonuses.

Pre-order now and receive:

hmv exclusive 15 Track CD Soundtrack

Plus:

"Bone Pack" downloadable content:

Transform Dante's shotgun, scythe and axe into precision crafted bone weapons! Plus access to the orb harvester - upgrade and enhance Dante's weapons and combo perks faster.

"Golden Pack" downloadable content:

Transform Dante's weapons into brutal, solid gold instruments of death!

Plus access to the item finder - helping you hunt down hidden items.

"Virgil Pack" downloadable content (available early 2013):

Play as Vergil in a brand new chapter of the Devil May Cry adventure.

Packed With fierce new weapons, combos, and never before seen content. don't miss out on your chance to unravel the enthralling, untold story of Dante's twin brother Vergil.

PS3

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828801

Xbox 360

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828755

• Thumbs Up 1

New gameplay vids from Eurogamer showing Missions 8 and 9

Damn am I enjoying the demo. Now that I can do some pretty decent combos I find myself replaying it more to do better ones. The hardest difficulty is pretty easy though. I defeated the boss without taking a single hit ending up with a SSS rank. I'll be playing this on a harder difficulty when I first get it.

That HMV deal seems pretty good. Might pick it up on there.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just tried the demo's Son of Sparda difficulty, and it's not as easy as some of you here make out. I just got Game Over on it. The other difficulties I found pretty easy, but this one I didn't do too well on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll probably get it later on down the road when it's cheaper. Got too many other games to even consider buying this one right now, mainly because, while the demo was enjoyable, it didn't match up to the old games for me so I can wait.

Well I honestly can't wait for this game. Only about 2 weeks till release. Kinda getting impatient and the demo can only give me my small fix till I want more than just that dammit!! I actually refuse to watch any gameplay related to other parts of the game besides whats already been covered in the demo. Hell I even skipped the cut scenes in the demo for that matter. I just don't wanna spoil it for myself heh.

HMV has an exclusive soundtrack CD as a pre-order bonus, as well as all of the other bonuses.

PS3

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828801

Xbox 360

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828755

Man speaking of the OST, this battle theme kicks so much ass:

http://youtu.be/DRYCOjqcEBY

Edited by Urban Flow