Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

ya know, I used to hate this game, not because it was a betrayal of the original DMC because I never really had any attachment to those games at all. But mostly because of the really, really bad attempts at being "edgy" and "cool" it's so bad...that it's honestly going back to funny for me. I get the feeling Ninja theory either did this on purpose...or honestly expect us to take this seriously.

It's DMC's version of Shadow the Hedgehog. It's bad, but so bad it's good.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of DMC4?  I started playing it recently and I'm really enjoying it, though admittedly I do find it quite difficult.  I only just beat Credo, but I really like how Nero feels, fights and controls.  The EX-ACT system adds quite a bit of depth to how Nero attacks and adds this nice element of timing.  Learning what cancels and moves to use in what situation is really key to doing well.  And landing those Devil Bringer attacks on the bosses is freaking awesome.  After having Credo kick my ass a good few times, it's wonderful to finish him off with a Devil Bringer attack and literally beat the living crap out of him while he's on his knees.  

Also, Nero is steadily growing on me.  I like his design, though I do wish his face looked a little more different to DMC3 Dante's.  At first I didn't care too much for his personality, and just felt he was an inferior, less badass verison of Dante but over time he has definitely grown on me.  He's got this nice balance of seriousness and sarcasm and he does display a fair bit of compassion too.  I do still prefer Dante though.

Bit of a discussion diversion, but still.  DMC is DMC, I don't think it's too unreasonable to discuss other franchise relevant things.

Same, I just got 4 a few days ago and I have to say I enjoy it and don't really see why people hated nero, his moves are great, he is a cool character and he's voiced by JYB what else is there to say. The only complaint's I have so far really are just that you can't buy moves with red orbs on here and you have to buy the jump cancel and air hike (probably better than DMC3 having you buy it for like 4 different weapons but still) and the level's being long. But besides those, this game is pretty cool so far, I also like the whole aspect of the dante vs nero thing.

Thanks for the input so far guys.  So the main issues with the game seem to be less with how it plays and more with how it's structured as a game?  Say if they had a couple more unique missions but had the option of either playing as Nero or Dante for all of them rather than being forced to switch part way through then it would've worked better I'm guessing?  

With regards to those advanced mechanics turbojet, I can definitely see what you mean.  Whilst the natural difficulty curve forces the player to naturally get better at the game gradually, the game doesn't really show you (at least of what I've played so far) how to make effective use of them (heck in some cases, make use of them at all).  The EX-Act for example, I stumbled upon by accident pressing L2 by mistake upon performing an attack.  I was curious and decided to look up a couple of Youtube vids on it and saw just how useful it is along with other skills at keeping the pace of the game up and increasing the strength of your combos.  I could imagine that later levels would become increasingly slow paced and frustrating without knowing these sorts of mechanics.

Although I must admit, I quite like Dante's design in DMC4.  He looks the most "manly" out of all his incarnations due to him being more muscular and the stubble.  That and I dig his new trousers.  Dante and Nero are some stylish dudes.

DMC4 is a sick ass game........matter of fact, scratch that, all the games are sick even this one. Yeah I said it, sue me.

The other issue I have with DMC4 is the proud soul mechanic. Having a refundable currency seems cool, but that's the only advantage it has over using red orbs in previous games. Prices go up at absurd rates (even moreso than in previous DMC games due to the sheer number of moves you can buy), and you definitely won't be getting nearly all of the skills if you're playing through the game normally, so you'll have to beat missions again to grind for them if you really want them all, and honestly it's kind of not worth it once you get all of the skills you think you'll need more than others. And if there was a particular skill you have to use for a certain situation, you can simply switch out one of your other moves and use it for that one mission. It's not all that bad of a system, it's just overwhelming, especially if you're a completionist.

It also has the effect of making red orbs useless once you buy all blue/purple orbs; the game is easy enough compared to past games* that you probably won't be needing that many health items, so you'll always be loaded with supplies if you have to resort to them.

*The only issue I've really had so far was Dante's boss battle halfway through the game. Thankfully there's an exploit that makes the entire fight a complete joke, but I've never been able to defeat him legitimately.

I like to think that with the whole Sonic stuff, the Fanbase literally went all up over Nothing, while with this here there is actually some valid reasoning for the Fanbase to complain

I mean we're talking Eye Colors Arguments vs Completeley different Character Debates, thats about as Apples 'n Oranges as it gets

To add to this, it shows an even bigger difference when fans were dismissing the new character Nero in DMC4 before changing their opinions of him and allowing him to stand next to Dante and Vergil as an equal, and this was before the game was released. I'd like to say that fans of DMC are less close-minded when it comes to new stuff than that of the Sonic fandom by comparison.

For one, it DMC doesn't have any equivalent of "Sonic's Shitty Friends" syndrome...

After making this demo my bitch (literally I've beaten it so bad one who have to put assault charges on me) I have to say that I actually want to buy it. I've overlooked the whole edgy thing NT was doing and dug deep into the visuals and gameplay. It's about as simple as DMC4's Nero. Yet it also has depth to it. I love the air combo thing. So sick and when you get the S, SS, SSS ranks. SAVAGE, SPARTA STATUS.... I go nuts.I'm not even joking. Once I hear one of them, all of my fury comes out in one attack, usually killing the enemy I was beating on. The battle songs work. Not saying they are great. Nor am I saying they suck (Damn you werehog). It works. I have one thing to say now. I'm buying this game. probably not at full retail price, but I will be getting it before the year is over. Or atleast renting it. It's just too much fun to pass up. And who could pass on a hack n slash game? Last good one i played was......NG2? Wait scratch that. Bayonetta. I need my fix of killing with no mercy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'd rather wait and get Revengence than this.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, I'd rather wait and get Revengence than this.

Well I am getting both actually. Rising looks fantastic. Only thing is I really wished it was set before MSG4 or at least leading pretty much into it. But after MGS4 is good too however so I can't complain. Anyways I don't wanna get further off topic. Can't wait for DmC!!!!!! Only a week left. Ran through Son Of Sparda on the demo and aced that shit.

http://www.insight-factor.net/recensioni/dmc-devil-may-cry-recensione-review

7.5 review

I like how some negatives are seen as positive in other reviews.

According to Ninja Theory, this does not count as a "genuine review".

Fuck them. Just... Fuck them.

Oh, and the review above was taken down. HMM. I WONDER WHY.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Did they just take down that review?

Apparently, there's an embargo going on of sorts. Seems Capcom and Ninja Theory are trying to restrict pre-release scores to only high ones.

Once again, fuck Capcom, and fuck Ninja Theory. This is garbage.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

It's not like 7 is even bad, it's just not amazing. Goddamn, I'm getting sick of this shit (in general, Capcom is only one of the companies that has been caught doing this).

According to Ninja Theory, this does not count as a "genuine review".

Fuck them. Just... Fuck them.

Oh, and the review above was taken down. HMM. I WONDER WHY.

Uhm, i smell a case similar to the Kane & Linch one where an IGN employee was fired because he gave a 6/10 to the game and Eidos paid IGN to convince them to fire the poor guy.

Edited by Teoskaven

Wow, tell me I didn't just get a 404 error message.

Normally I wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if the suspicion winds up being correct then this is just gonna make the conflict even bigger.

They're more likely doing this so that they could advertise the game with the scores on them, provided that's the case here.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

It's possible it wasn't actually a real review because they apparently didn't get a review code. Which is weird because most of the criticism falls in line with points raised in others. Might have been an early copy that broke street date since people already have the game

Speaking of.

HPAHZ.gif

0NLQH.gif

boy some of you are going to be real mad at the scene where a white mop head lands on nu-Dante's head to give him classic Dante hair, he looks at himself in a mirror, and makes fun of it

Raikov Syndrome doesn't work that way NT.

Ok, how many times they crossed the line? I think i lost count.

Edited by Teoskaven
  • Thumbs Up 3

Carbo, spoilers, man :-/

It's an inconsequential nod brought up in the first mission of the game that's going to pretty much be heard of anywhere people realize this game exists so I honestly believed spoilers in this case wouldn't matter.

But there you go.

Well, the gameplay is far too over-simplified and not true to Devil May Cry, the character is pretty much ruined by terrible writing and a (not for the better) characterization change, and to top it all off, the developers are being assholes about bad reviews.

I don't see how this could get any worse.

HPAHZ.gif

0NLQH.gif

Raikov Syndrome doesn't work that way NT.

Er...wha-?

I'm confused, speechless, and really distraught here. They're just trying to add more insult here, aren't they?

• Thumbs Up 8

Who honestly gives a shit if they do that, its not like reviews are the fact of god. Seriously. Reviews are basically one big ass opinion of a big ass magazine or gaming site. That's it. Pretty sure capcom is not the only one doing this shit, which in turn I am not justifying exactly either. They should let it go. Anything 7 or above is decent at best I suppose so they should not trip about it.

Edited by Urban Flow

If sources about the ending are true, wait until you guys see it. Holy shit.

Edited by turbojet

If sources about the ending are true, wait until you guys see it. Holy shit.

You mean the one where Dante feeds Mundus Lilith's baby or is there some other horseshittery?

Edited by Pinkamina