Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLBAFJWbd30

terrible and unforgettable. because it plays in every single fight 

Subjective, and that song is hardly bad at all, but that's obviously fairly subjective.

If there is a better and easier way to do something than pressing one button to do it, I'd like to see it. Seriously, that's literally the best way to do something possible. You press a button and it happens. 

I'd also like to know what extra functionality you can add to the launcher that would require the launcher to not be on one button. Like surely whatever extra functionality you'd have by it not being on the button could be regulated.

Thing is, you could basically do everything the launcher button does and more in previous DMC games just by locking on to an enemy and using the normal attack button. Even Bayonetta had this. Then you could assign the other button other cool stuff, like style-specific moves in DMC3/4, or use it as a second weapon button like Bayonetta. It's not rocket science.

Also regarding the controls, I have no idea what you remapped and why, considering they're basically action game standard, apart from the triggers thing. 

I changed around the face buttons to make things more comfortable (putting an attack button on the B button on a 360 controller is pure madness, especially if you're used to stuff like SNES-style controls), and I swapped the dodge to the shoulder triggers and the angel/devil stuff to the shoulder buttons. I really don't like having the dodge button on one of the triggers.

I conceed the point on the grab, but I honestly think having a lock-on would make pulling yourself towards and enemy/pulling an enemy towards you a much simpler process, I think. Platforming could be worse, but it's still shit.

Also, just to demonstrate how utterly broken and poorly designed the style ranking system is, it's based entirely on power rather than variety, which is pure insanity. Brea, a TruStyle player and a very good one at that, got to play the game and not only quickly ended up running out of ideas, she also was finding it difficult to get a style rank above when not using the horrible broken mess that is Arbiter.

For comparison's sake:

Not to mention the animation cancelling looks more hilariously stupid than cool, a good deal of the time.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I changed around the face buttons to make things more comfortable (putting an attack button on the B button on a 360 controller is pure madness, especially if you're used to stuff like SNES-style controls), and I swapped the dodge to the shoulder triggers and the angel/devil stuff to the shoulder buttons. I really don't like having the dodge button on one of the triggers.

Hold the fucking phone.  You can do that?

I'm going to have to check this out sometime, because the default configuration is just awful as hell.

Hold the fucking phone.  You can do that?

I'm going to have to check this out sometime, because the default configuration is just awful as hell.

Yeah, just go to 'controls' in the options menu.

Just keeping with tradition

You do realize that this wasn't a real boss fight, right?

The real final boss fight was just before Nero jumped out where it was challenging and it was engaging. Don't be as ridiculous as you are accusing us of being.

This is the actual boss fight.

No cutscenes during it. No gimmicks. Pure skill.

Edited by turbojet

I like Devil May Cry 4.

My only real disappointment is the repeated levels and bosses for Dante, and...there wasn't enough Dante. I liked Nero too. I found him to be a likable and relatable character. I always figured it was important for a protagonist to be likable and relatable.

DMC1 Dante, wanted to bring down the evil that took away his family.

DMC3 Dante, was only interested in having a good time.

DMC4 Nero, was trying to protect the one he cared for the most.

I do not know what motivates DmC Donte, but I find his demeanor and attitude to be very unlikable.

I did say earlier that it would be wrong to ruin the game for the members that are looking forward to it. But that also goes both ways. If your tired of the constant bashing of a game, then you probably should leave the internet, because it will never stop. I'm tired of the constant hate directed at the Sonic franchise, and 95% of that, comes from the SSMB. But I don't dismiss other opinions or attack every single word a person says about the subject.

No doubt the hate for this game will get worse (Or better) once the thing is finally released, and you'll need to accept that. Doesn't mean your opinion is wrong, for liking the game.

Here's the truth from my point of view.

We (The DMC fans) know that the franchise isn't perfect. There is no such thing as perfect. For the many faults the first four games had, we still loved them. (Maybe not DMC2) It's most likely that most fans of this franchise are also fans of Anime and Manga. The character designs, action and story, practically scream anime.

Ninja Theory did say they added a more "European feel" to the new game. That's practically saying "bye bye, anime." and in one simple statement, they've already pissed off a large portion of the fan base. Naturally, this wont concern everybody.

A study into why video games are so appealing suggests that we, (As gamers) "like to try on different hats, and take on a characteristic they would like to have." This touches on what I said before about a protagonist needing to be likable and relatable. Why would we want to take on the characteristics of a character we don't even like? By losing a strong likable character, a game no longer has appeal or charm. Why should we care what happens to this guy?

There is always a portion of hate directed to anything under the word "Reboot." But with DMC, the original story still had potential. What IS Nero? Is he connected to Virgil in some way? Did Virgil really die? These questions are swept under the rug, which annoys fans. Then we learn that DmC is re-telling the story of DMC1 and 3, which as you know, is considered the best in the franchise. Annoyance now borders on rage after learning the major changes put in place. Story elements, dialogue and the likes start to surface after Ninja Theory claimed to have been brought in to write a new and original story, but say they take inspiration from other things.

We end up with something that isn't new or original but something that is basically a cut and paste mesh of other stories. Normally that would be considered a parody, but the game is so dark and gritty, it feels like it's trying to be serious, making it feel...wrong.

Tameem Antoniades, the head douche at Ninja Theory has made it very clear he doesn't care about fans. People have messaged him about minor concerns regarding the demo in a calm and friendly manor, and got nothing but sarcasm or arrogance in return.

He's in the wrong profession if he's not going to listen to feedback. In fact I'd say he'd be perfect for the job as a wanker-I mean, a banker. He's already a wanker.

He also claimed that the game wont have patches to fix the problems and practically said original Dante was not cool, but when picked up on it later, didn't seem to recall, despite the original comment being during a video interview.

These are some of the problems we fans have with this game, and I didn't even mention game play or white hair. If anybody still thinks we are only hating because of the loss of white hair, then they need to wake the fuck up!

I have nothing else to say.

Study of the appeal of video games source: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/getting-to-the-heart-of-the-appeal-of-videogames.html#hide

The sources for some of the other stuff I mentioned, can be found in the videos posted by Turbojet some pages back. 

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hey I like what you said Dan and even though I am quite looking forward to this game I can agree with your post to a certain extent. I just don't want people to think that I am not a quote "Real" DMC fan because I like this game; or like a game that they don't. Which sucks because today that is how things are seen. Especially with stuff like COD because according to the internet if you like COD that must be the only game you play which is bullshit but whatever. Me personally I am more accepting of the major change that DMC went through. Others? Not so much but that's how artist and musicians feel too? Knowing that not everyone is gonna like it and I am cool with that. You guys can tear the shit outta this game but it won't stop me from enjoying it. I come to this topic to see whats new on it. I'll admit that 85% of the time its the usual complaining however but yeah haha.

Edited by Urban Flow
  • Thumbs Up 1

@turbojet The devil bringer is in fact a weaponized cutscene. I like the game but the B button breaks the flow like nothing else.

Hey gonna be very blunt who here is actually looking forward to this game besides myself?

me me me, just re-played through the demo and le gasp.

I want this game now :<

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey gonna be very blunt who here is actually looking forward to this game besides myself?

Really looking forward to it. Been playing the hell out of the demo.

• Thumbs Up 1

me me me, just re-played through the demo and le gasp.

I want this game now :<

Really looking forward to it. Been playing the hell out of the demo.

HMV is your friend. Pre-order it NOW! FREE OST CD AND ALL 3 PIECES OF BONUS DLC :P

Xbox 360

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828755

PS3

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=828801

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn man! I think the US doesn't get that stuff. I want the soundtrack so bad. We only get the free DLC and there is a limited edition with a replica of Dante's chain.

Edited by Urban Flow

Damn man! I think the US doesn't get that stuff. I want the soundtrack so bad. We only get the free DLC and there is a limited edition with a replica of Dante's chain.

If you want, I'll rip the CD and send you the songs? I know it's not the same as owning it, but it's better than nothing ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

You do realize that this wasn't a real boss fight, right?

The real final boss fight was just before Nero jumped out where it was challenging and it was engaging. Don't be as ridiculous as you are accusing us of being.

This is the actual boss fight.

No cutscenes during it. No gimmicks. Pure skill.

That bossfight is a repeat of the one you fight midway during the game tho, right before you switch to dante. That's why I see the statue as the last boss and that one more as part of the boss rush you do before that point.  :|

When you think about it dmc4 doesn't even have a last boss

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want, I'll rip the CD and send you the songs? I know it's not the same as owning it, but it's better than nothing happy.png

Hey I would highly appreciate that! rolleyes.gif

P.S. Awesome sig, where is that from anyways?

Edited by Urban Flow

That bossfight is a repeat of the one you fight midway during the game tho, right before you switch to dante. That's why I see the statue as the last boss and that one more as part of the boss rush you do before that point.  :|

I'll give you that, but it makes no difference if you don't like the repeat of the boss or it is just a tweaked boss. You fight Vergil twice in DMC3. Sure, the final encounter is different as Vergil brings some new tricks to the stage and is significantly tougher. Sanctus just has a new beam attack and a guard that can easily be broken with a Devil Bringer. Not great, but still. Why I don't consider the statue as a boss is because that would mean that last boss in Bayonetta would be when the Goddess was flying into the sun and the player had to take something out. That was the boss. Or in GoW3, the boss was not that epic 3 tier battle, but that final QTE when you had to take Zeus's soul out or some shit. That statue is not a boss as neither of those things are.

@turbojet The devil bringer is in fact a weaponized cutscene. I like the game but the B button breaks the flow like nothing else.

I can see spamming it would be, but the Devil Bringer requires the player to get close and do whatever. Also the Devil Bringer allows for some pretty awesome grabs such as catching Credo's spear and punching the statue's hand in the first Sanctus battle to knock back. One, you don't have to use it to finish fights as Nero's repertoire has a lot of depth(A lot more than DmC, but that is subjective). You don't to use the damn thing to engage the animation that follows. You are only forced to use the devil bring as an animation cutscene device in two instances(Both fights that Remz and I shown). Two, if this is a weaponized cutscene then every time Bayonetta beats an angel to death and then a QTE pops up counts as well. Then we have Kratos in GOW3 as well. They break the flow too. 

Edited by turbojet

Hey I would highly appreciate that! rolleyes.gif

P.S. Awesome sig, where is that from anyways?

Awesome, when I get it I'll PM you, and it's from Black Rock Shooter the anime series ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey I like what you said Dan and even though I am quite looking forward to this game I can agree with your post to a certain extent. I just don't want people to think that I am not a quote "Real" DMC fan because I like this game; or like a game that they don't. Which sucks because today that is how things are seen. Especially with stuff like COD because according to the internet if you like COD that must be the only game you play which is bullshit but whatever. Me personally I am more accepting of the major change that DMC went through. Others? Not so much but that's how artist and musicians feel too? Knowing that not everyone is gonna like it and I am cool with that. You guys can tear the shit outta this game but it won't stop me from enjoying it. I come to this topic to see whats new on it. I'll admit that 85% of the time its the usual complaining however but yeah haha.

I guess if people say stuff like you not being a "real" DMC fan, you would get defensive and pissed off. The fanbase has now been split down the middle and both sides will have a vast number of immature douches that think they can dictate who is right or wrong and what a real fan is. Sadly, nothing I can say will change that.

There is something about this "real fan" business though...how can I put it?

We humans can pick and choose what we are interested in. And the title of "fan" can only be applied by the individual. As in, you play Devil May Cry and like it so much that you want more. So you have chosen to be a "fan."

The very idea that a second person could show up and claim your not a "real fan" is laughable to me. Since the title of "fan" can only be given by the same individual, an outsider cannot pick and choose what the individual likes or not. The whole statement becomes meaningless.

Am I making sense?

Basically you shouldn't get mad at people who say stuff like "Your not a real fan." You should pity them for being very, very stupid and not being able to generate a decent insult.

I mean sheesh, at least a bitch means a female dog and a bastard is a child born out of wedlock!

Unfortunately for us, the Sonic fanbase is another that suffers from split fan opinions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess if people say stuff like you not being a "real" DMC fan, you would get defensive and pissed off. The fanbase has now been split down the middle and both sides will have a vast number of immature douches that think they can dictate who is right or wrong and what a real fan is. Sadly, nothing I can say will change that.

There is something about this "real fan" business though...how can I put it?

We humans can pick and choose what we are interested in. And the title of "fan" can only be applied by the individual. As in, you play Devil May Cry and like it so much that you want more. So you have chosen to be a "fan."

The very idea that a second person could show up and claim your not a "real fan" is laughable to me. Since the title of "fan" can only be given by the same individual, an outsider cannot pick and choose what the individual likes or not. The whole statement becomes meaningless.

Am I making sense?

Basically you shouldn't get mad at people who say stuff like "Your not a real fan." You should pity them for being very, very stupid and not being able to generate a decent insult.

I mean sheesh, at least a bitch means a female dog and a bastard is a child born out of wedlock!

Unfortunately for us, the Sonic fanbase is another that suffers from split fan opinions.

Yeah I definitely understand. The concept of "you like something that I don't so I am here to prove you wrong" is quite the same as telling someone else that they are not "real" fans. Telling certain people you play COD BUT is a core player at heart that had played many games and classics, yet their perception of you changes because of it. Its honestly happened and I have seen it alot. Just an example but you get my meaning. Yes the sonic fan base rather suffers from this but I mean whatever right. I am DMC fan at heart and so thats how I act I guess ha.

Two, if this is a weaponized cutscene then every time Bayonetta beats an angel to death and then a QTE pops up counts as well. Then we have Kratos in GOW3 as well. They break the flow too. 

I honestly don't know about those other games but with devil bringer it's basically just "Press B to watch shit happen." I'm sure Bayonetta would require more interaction than that.

If there are any instances where you really would have to strategize its usage then they're few and far inbetween. Most of the time you just weaken the enemy enough until it's in its obvious looking weakened animation, and then press B.

The fanbase has now been split down the middle and both sides will have a vast number of immature douches that think they can dictate who is right or wrong and what a real fan is. Sadly, nothing I can say will change that.

You probably just gave me the biggest reason to hate this game...well, moreso the developers. Last thing I'd ever thought to see was the DMC fandom becoming similar to the Sonic one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seeing all this reviews makes me wonder what AngryJoe thinks about this game.