Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

So... Apparently, the actual boss fight with Lilith involves... Um...

You fight the demon baby and her in the same fight. The demon baby is... I believe... A particularly gross variance on the Get Back Here Boss trope. I'll let you work out how.

Yeah, totally not completely tasteless. At all.

SHAKESPHERIAN NARRATIVE, EVERYONE.[/sarcasm]

Granted, Shakesphere used a lot of sex jokes in his plays, but at least he had some grasp of subtlety.

Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK.

Edit: HOO BOY THERE'S MORE.

Lilith is killed by Vergil shooting the fetus with an assault rifle and then shooting her in the head.

Also, Kat casually turns and strolls away while shot at by gunfire.

Stay classy, Ninja Theory.
Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 3

Damn man! I think the US doesn't get that stuff. I want the soundtrack so bad. We only get the free DLC and there is a limited edition with a replica of Dante's chain.

HMV ships to the US and if you have a PS3, that version is of course region free. I don't think UK DLC codes would work with the US PS Store, though. Guess if you have the money, you could always buy a copy in the US and from HMV, then sell the HMV copy.

Q. Do you deliver to my country?

A. BFPO Addresses: For BFPO addresses, please select UK as your country. We are happy to ship orders to the following countries:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Ascension Island, Australia, Austria, Azores, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei Darrusalam, Cameroon, Canada, Canary Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, China (inc Tibet), Christmas Island, Cocos Islands, Comoros, Corsica, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadaloupe, Guernsey, Guyana, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Madagascar, Madeira, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Norfolk Isles, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Pitcairn, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Samoa ( US Terr ), San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sicily, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Spanish Terr, Sri Lanka, St Helena, St Lucia, St Pierre and Miquelon, St Vincent and Gren, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turks and Caicos Isl, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Vatican City, Venezuela, Western Somoa, Zambia, Zimbabwe

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?pPageID=5740

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, just like every other boss in the game, Mundus looks pretty damn boring.

And Dante doesn't say "Jackpot!" when killing him.

Small little detail that could've been a neat little throwback, but nope.

Edited by Pinkamina

So... Apparently, the actual boss fight with Lilith involves... Um...

You fight the demon baby and her in the same fight. The demon baby is... I believe... A particularly gross variance on the Get Back Here Boss trope. I'll let you work out how.

Hmm...okay, so...

Oh.

Oh...

300px-Dragonzball_P.jpg

OHHH NO...

OHHHHH NOOOO....

Why?

WHY?!

Why would you DO THIS, Ninja Theory?!

I think I'm going to puke...

• Thumbs Up 4

Still can't get over the ending.

Twobrothers_zps803619e6.jpg

They have apologetic sex in the DLC continuation.

Edited by Pinkamina
  • Thumbs Up 4

Will you guys try to keep everything in your posts about the ending in spoilers, please? 

HMV is still saying they're waiting for DMC stock from the supplier sad.png It's out Tuesday and tomorrow there is no postal service. If they get stock Monday and send it out then, I probably won't get it until Wednesday.

Will you guys try to keep everything in your posts about the ending in spoilers, please? 

HMV is still saying they're waiting for DMC stock from the supplier sad.png It's out Tuesday and tomorrow there is no postal service. If they get stock Monday and send it out then, I probably won't get it until Wednesday.

I would highly appreciate this myself. Not everyone in here completely despises the game and wants to shit out the ending or anything related to it for that matter.

Edited by Urban Flow
  • Thumbs Up 2

Same. I don't know how good HMV are with preorders since i've only brought stuff from them online that was already out at the time. Sucks that only HMV have the OST deal, so no chance getting this on release.

Anyone else find the "Donte" thing to be kind of juvenile?

Think as a quicker way of saying "that lanky, brutish fellow that, by strange circumstance, happens to share a name with that rather charming video game character who is otherwise unlike him in most respects."

If the fanbase, by some miracle, starts warming up to him, then there's no doubt he'll be called "Dante" again in due time. As for the present, though, even if I were to consider him a good character he is still unlike Dante in a remarkable number of ways. Think of it as replacing Spider-Man with Doctor Octopus: in time, people may like it, and it may beat the odds and be an ultimately good design change, but Doc Ock is so different from ol' Pete that I'd hesitate to term him Spider-Man for quite a while. "Spider-Man" brings to mind things like "friendly neighborhood," "good-hearted," and "compassionate," while Doc Ock does not possess any of these qualities in notable amounts, though he may wear the costume. The word ceases to fit its definition, as it were. As such, the fanbase has constructed their own word to describe him, however juvenile. A new word for a new definition.

Hence "Donte." 

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe it's the CD deal that is causing them problems? Since they are the only firm stocking it as a pre-order extra? =/

I like what Ninja Theory is doing with this DMC so much. In my honest opinion I had more fun playing this game than DMC 4. and its mainly because of the gameplay., I feel like its alot more satisfying hacking & slashing in this game than the others. The whole idea of being able to switch weapon types in the middle of combos to create new ones and multiples is just genius and so addicting. Aerial combat is something I always wanted emphasized way more in a DMC game and goddamn this game hit that mark so hard. Seriously, in a way I am kinda glad Ninja Theory choose the Unreal Engine over MT Framework because this game plays alot more better than the other DMC's. Now calm down before some of you or should I say most of you get worked up, its just my opinion. I played and beat all DMC's more then once and they are awesome games at that, but fuck me this game takes all of those and multiplies it by 10. This is my ideal DMC game. Fuck it.

I like what Ninja Theory is doing with this DMC so much. In my honest opinion I had more fun playing this game than DMC 4. and its mainly because of the gameplay., I feel like its alot more satisfying hacking & slashing in this game than the others. The whole idea of being able to switch weapon types in the middle of combos to create new ones and multiples is just genius and so addicting. Aerial combat is something I always wanted emphasized way more in a DMC game and goddamn this game hit that mark so hard. Seriously, in a way I am kinda glad Ninja Theory choose the Unreal Engine over MT Framework because this game plays alot more better than the other DMC's. Now calm down before some of you or should I say most of you get worked up, its just my opinion. I played and beat all DMC's more then once and they are awesome games at that, but fuck me this game takes all of those and multiplies it by 10. This is my ideal DMC game. Fuck it.

Each to their own I guess.  I would have to respectfully disagree with you.  Though it does really bug me how much this game has torn the DMC fanbase.  Honestly, I'm still in the view that this game doesn't need to exist not because it's a bad game per se, but because of the reason aforementioned.  I feel that overall the existence of this game only offers a negative impact to the series as a whole because it's such a needlessly radical change in direction for a series that had already solidified itself as an amazing series that really wasn't in need of a reboot.      

• Thumbs Up 4

The whole idea of being able to switch weapon types in the middle of combos to create new ones and multiples is just genius and so addicting.

Uh... on DMC3/4 you could switch weapons and wielding styles on the fly for even more combos. And there were more weapons. And they happened to be very different for even more variety.

Isn't this what you're referring to?

Seriously, in a way I am kinda glad Ninja Theory choose the Unreal Engine over MT Framework because this game plays alot more better than the other DMC's.

No.

No.

NO

Sub 30fps, clunky animations, poor particle effects, starving polycounts, eyesore post processing, tearing, aliasing, bad texture streaming, loadtimes and janky collision models.

Anything that's done in vanilla UE could've been much better in just about anything else. The engine has nothing to do with what you're enjoying and if it ran on DMC4's framework you'd have had a notable improvement.

This is my ideal DMC game. Fuck it.

To each his own, of course. I'm okay with people enjoying this thing, other than the UE bit.

UE is shit.

• Thumbs Up 8

Uh... on DMC3/4 you could switch weapons and wielding styles on the fly for even more combos. And there were more weapons. And they happened to be very different for even more variety.

Nero did not have weapons, but his moveset was extremely varied and had enough variety and depth.

And don't get me fucking started on Pandora's Box. Holy fucking shit. Over a hundred combos with that thing alone.

No.

No.

NO

Sub 30fps, clunky animations, poor particle effects, starving polycounts, eyesore post processing, tearing, aliasing, bad texture streaming, loadtimes and janky collision models.

Anything that's done in vanilla UE could've been much better in just about anything else. The engine has nothing to do with what you're enjoying and if it ran on DMC4's framework you'd have had a notable improvement.

To each his own, of course. I'm okay with people enjoying this thing, other than the UE bit.

UE is shit.

Actually I am referring to aerial combat. I don't think the other DMC's did aerial combat like this new one. It's much more emphasized and a lot more depth to it if anything. Like I said it's just my thoughts.

Each to their own I guess.  I would have to respectfully disagree with you.  Though it does really bug me how much this game has torn the DMC fanbase.  Honestly, I'm still in the view that this game doesn't need to exist not because it's a bad game per se, but because of the reason aforementioned.  I feel that overall the existence of this game only offers a negative impact to the series as a whole because it's such a needlessly radical change in direction for a series that had already solidified itself as an amazing series that really wasn't in need of a reboot.      

I can admit one thing, this game could've went on without being called Devil May Cry. However that does not mean I hate the idea of the change. I am perfectly cool with it. As long the gameplay is nice its a go for me (which to me it was hence my opinion on this game) It's kinda hard stating a positive comment on this game considering that just about everyone despises it besides a few folks and myself. I knew I was gonna get questioned immediately, just like if you say SA2 is one of the best sonic games or some shit. Peeps will be on your case.

The only real change to aerial combat is that they practically took all the skill out of it.

There is literally nothing in this game that hasn't already been done better in previous games, or in Bayonetta, for that matter.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

The only real change to aerial combat is that they practically took all the skill out of it.

There is literally nothing in this game that hasn't already been done better in previous games, or in Bayonetta, for that matter.

Actually, the one thing I would say is done better: to give this shitty reboot some credit: is the platforming. With the Angel Dash I found platforming funner then in almost every other Devil may Cry game. Too bad that's the only thing.

Oh, and 

INFECTED 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Urrgh...  I tried pre-ordering from the site but the last time i ordered from HMV online was way back in 2008 and I don't remember my password for the account... So I request a "forgot password?" and they say they'll e-mail me a password reset in the next couple of hours... Except I STILL haven't gotten one, and i've re-done the process 4 times since you showed me the pre-order page, so I can't get it D:

Shadzter, you couldn't possibly order me a copy and set it to send to my home address if I send the money through paypal could you? It's a big stretch but I really want the OST for this game T ^ T;

I understand if you don't want to though ^_^

Despite all this silliness, and the ridiculously SUBTLE intro video, I decided to buy this game because well, I enjoyed my time with the demo. I consider it its own game rather than a DMC successor, though. As for the platforming? Yeah, the stage exploration is pretty neat, it was either really bare bones or frustrating in the rest of the games.

I personally consider the platforming in this game to be extremely shallow. It's basically nothing but angel dash and angel pull with the occasional demon pull. That's about it!

And seeing as how video walkthroughs are coming out with much more information...

Firstly, good grief, if you collect all the hidden stuff in a stage, that stage's ranking is set to a permanent SSS. A game like this is supposed to be an arcade-style affair based around combat performance and time. Rendering that entirely pointless via in-level collectibles is RETARDED.

Also, this game breaks up the gameplay with too many cutscenes. This especially problematic with bosses (which are also uninspired and many of them sit in one place), and there's little freedom with how you actually want to fight the bosses themselves.

And there's more reviews coming out with high scores, it feels seriously manipulated. IGN's reads like a damn advertisement, and Jim Sterling is coming out and actively insulting fans. Surprisingly, it's Adam Sessler who has the only review with some measure of professionalism and actually calls out the horrible narrative and characterization for what it is.

Edited by Masaru Daimon