Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Surely it must be a industry wide conspiracy that the game is reviewing well. It can't possibly actually be good

Or maybe gaming journalism is a complete joke.

Which, to be fair, most of it really is. Seriously overrated games get high scores all the time, and half the scoring spectrum is barely even used, if at all.

Also, as for Sterling, I agree with him sometimes, but I also feel that sometimes he can be off the mark by a country mile. And it's funnier when he's pretending to be an arrogant snob in the Jimquisition, less so when when he's actually being an asshole like right now.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jim Sterling gave Assassin's Creed II a 4.5. I don't think you should be accusing him of being bought or whatever you're trying to imply. You can however, say he has different tastes.

Jim Sterling gave Assassin's Creed II a 4.5. I don't think you should be accusing him of being bought or whatever you're trying to imply. You can however, say he has different tastes.

As I said, he's more consistently on the mark when he's not actually reviewing a game, and even then...

Actually, thinking about it, I think Sterling is better in general when he's writing articles or making Jimquisition vids than he is when he's doing game reviews.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Urrgh...  I tried pre-ordering from the site but the last time i ordered from HMV online was way back in 2008 and I don't remember my password for the account... So I request a "forgot password?" and they say they'll e-mail me a password reset in the next couple of hours... Except I STILL haven't gotten one, and i've re-done the process 4 times since you showed me the pre-order page, so I can't get it D:

Shadzter, you couldn't possibly order me a copy and set it to send to my home address if I send the money through paypal could you? It's a big stretch but I really want the OST for this game T ^ T;

I understand if you don't want to though happy.png

If you requested the password reset on the Sunday, it might be that they weren't working. I'd try giving them a ring or send them an e-mail. Fail that, try making a new account.

I've never actually had a big interest in the DMC franchise in general, I think Dante is pretty overrated as a character, etc.

But of course this game caught my eye because industry buzz and such. I just thought I'd offer my two cents on it really.

I enjoyed Bayonetta, I don't really have a problem with gory demons or grit or stuff like that, and I certainly don't have a problem with games getting reboots in order to un-stagnate a stagnant series. I don't even hate Donte's design.

But when it comes to gritty n edgy for the sake of it, all the endlessly forced swearing (I don't mind swearing in games at all, but only when it actually feels natural within the script or context?? Putting "fuck" or "fucking" in sentences at random does not good writing make - before you say "DMC is always violent of course it fits", that's not what I mean.), Donte's embarrassingly "schoolyard toughguy" dialogue and personality.. (spoilers I think)

Not to mention rape and violent abortion?

Really??

I can't say I like that sort of presentation at all, not because of what it is but the way it's handled, very forced, embarrassing, offensive, downright immature at times, it feels like they're trying to market it to children with all the "mature game for mature gamers" tropes it shoves down your throats. Subtlety??

But ok the gameplay actually looks really good fun and I'm not gonna come in and say the game is terrible because the writing is embarrassing (it's probably very enjoyable). I literally just wanted to offer my two cents; I think the writing is like really bad. I also think naysayers would have been much happier with the game if Ninja Theory or Capcom had so much as subtle'd up the themes and Donte's personality a bit. And I don't mean "DMC should be a subtle game" because we know it's always been OTT, I mean "oh my god shut up for a few seconds Dante"

SuperLink out.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surely it must be a industry wide conspiracy that the game is reviewing well. It can't possibly actually be good

So, for curiosity's sake, any game which gets good reviews can't be argued to be bad according to your statement?

Not gonna jump the bandwagon and say this game is terrible when I still have yet to play the demo, but I seriously want to test that statement.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

So, for curiosity's sake, any game which gets good reviews can't be argued to be bad according to your statement?

I don't think that's what he meant. At all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Happy to see so many positive reviews out there. Just wish HMV would get ttheir stock and ship the game out already. They've never let me down before, but this could be a Capcom problem if they've not received stock yet.

Just wish HMV would get ttheir stock and ship the game out already.

I haven't heard the best things about HMV for preorders from a family member. I have a feeling our copies won't arrive until at least near the end of the week. Sucks that HMV are the only ones offering the OST. Would of been a lot better with ShopTo.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

For what it's worth the game play is at the very least functional enough to be decent at what it's trying to be, and what it clearly is trying to be is not DMC for sure. Jim Sterling wasn't even unabashedly beating around the bush on that subject, the game isn't for everyone. It's more like the snack food variety beat 'em up rather than the high class desert kind and I'm anything but surprised it's getting good reviews for that alone in an incredibly God of War influenced generation.

I never buy into reviews of Ninja Theory games though. Reviews convinced me that Enslaved was an experience worth witnessing and I went out of it feeling like I just wasted a bunch of money on inconsistent characters and too much streamlined game play. I did read a 7/10 review of this game but most criticisms in that boiled down to the awful music and platforming.

If you requested the password reset on the Sunday, it might be that they weren't working. I'd try giving them a ring or send them an e-mail. Fail that, try making a new account.

No I requested it last week sometime, No matter I'll just have to make a new account and stuff, but I need to make a new e-mail first as I have used my other one on HMV too lol.

must remember to jot down my passwords in future...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the gaming press as a whole are deluding themselves into thinking that Ninja Theory are far better storytellers than they really are. The gameplay is functional at best, though nothing near the standard of Devil May Cry, but what really grates my gears is how reviewers don't realize how utterly atrocious the narrative in literally every way. The very notion that this game's story is better than any of the others (except DMC2, perhaps) is laughable. The only reviewer so far I've seen who has actually stated outright how awful the narrative is happens to be Adam Sessler, of all people.

I think it's because of the press' desperation to see their favourite medium recognized as 'art' that they'll latch on to anyone who seems to vaguely competent at making video game narratives. Problem is, Ninja Theory had help from actual writers who actually have a clue with their last two games. Tameem has demonstrated himself with this title to be an arrogant hack who should have no business as a writer.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Queried the situation on HMV's Facebook page and their rep says they're looking into this with the online team and will give me an update as soon as they can.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got an email from HMV saying that my copy is on the way. Estimated delivery is 2-5 days.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just got the same e-mail myself. Order status on the website says 'Completely shipped', too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I am so looking forward to tomorrow!  For those who don't like this game, sucks that you feel that way but I guess the game is not for every DMC fan. For those looking forward to it I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do. I looked at some reviews mostly good if anything. I noticed alot of people say that NT paid off every single review out there. Which I find hard to believe. Then again, if its a game they actually like, they won't say jack shit but that's the internet as always of course.Truth is I know that has happened quite a lot this generation, but reviews should only be taken with a grain of salt regardless of the fact.

Ya know what, I'm going to see how this game holds up, so I will buy the DMC collection along with DMC4 and this game, I will play them in order leading up to this game, and see if everyone's complaints are legit or not.

As I thought the game ended up not being  the catastrophic mess that everyone thought it was going to be even effectively converting some major naysayers...

Sad to see this title alone is going to make the DMC fanbase very similar to Sonic's though...having one fanbase like that is bad enough.

All that anger will fade away though once we get Bayo 2!

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not too surprised or irritated by this game's reception, but I am pretty bummed that it probably means we won't be seeing the old Dante anymore, or at best a long while. I think it would be ideal to have both DMCs co-exist in some fashion, and give NT's version a subtitle to differentiate it as its own separate thing, because whether this game turns out good or not doesn't change the fact that I still want to see Dante return someday.

For the record I am interested in playing this but only once it goes down to 5 dollars on Steam. Still not interested in supporting Capcom for games like this.

• Thumbs Up 6

Now this is why I love HMV. Even with today's events, they've sent out my copy of DmC via courier next day delivery free of charge to make sure I get it tomorrow after they failed to get stock until today. <3 Just noticed they sent me an e-mail with a tracking number about 4pm today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think that's what he meant. At all.
which would be nice if he went and clarified what he meant instead of simply leaving a like on someone at his defense and doing nothing else when someone questions him on the subject. Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Hoo boy.

Metacritic score for Xbox 360 is...85, based on 32 reviews.

Guess we can say goodbye to this good fellow:

dante_1.jpg

Pray tell, how does this happen? Why does it happen? Why do games like this get great reviews? I mean, even setting aside insulting it is and how far out of its way it goes to be edgy and provocative, the gameplay is so mechanical and soulless that it almost makes Sonic Heroes look deep and compelling. It takes "style over substance" and freaking runs with it. Even if it weren't for all the offensive fluff, the gameplay is the heart of any game, and DmC's gameplay is vapid at best, at least in comparison to the previous series games. Say what you will about DMC4, but DMC3 was a game that actually required skill. Its gameplay actually had some semblance of depth to it, and you were always encouraged to experiment with all kinds of different moves, combos and styles. What happened to that? What was wrong with that? Why does this game even exist?

I understand that there are people here who did enjoy the demo and think that this game looks great. That's fine, I suppose, and I can kind of see why if you didn't play one of the previous games. But I...honestly fail to see any merit in this. It looks cool, but that's it.

Then again, I suppose a lot of people would say the same thing for modern Sonic games, so hey.

• Thumbs Up 8