Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

As much as I agree with the case being presented that lack of reasonable doubt in a lot of criticism will probably mean Capcom have zero doubts in not bringing back the good old DMC since they're, well, Capcom, it's really getting kind of ridiculous with the melodrama.

Seriously, I don't even like the presentation of this game and even I think the drama is really overblown. God people, people like something you don't, that's life, it happens.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh...yeah, didn't mean to over-blow it as much as I did.

But my point still stands. As far as I'm concerned, this is style over substance and the positive critical reception could cement not just Donte, but this far blander style of gameplay as well. Suppose I'll leave it at that, though. Meanwhile, I'll focus my energies on looking forward to Revengeance.

If you like this game apparently its a sin to the DMC fanbase. This is really turning into this Classic Vs. Modern Sonic thing. Which is pretty bad thing. It's kinda unfortunate too because I like the previous DMC's alot. I just also happen to widely enjoy this game too, regardless of change and direction. I see it as Classic DMC fans Vs. Modern DMC fans. Arguing about shit like that is kinda stupid. I also see this thing where people generalize the fan base, mainly speaking for it saying that everyone in it hates the new DmC. That's bullshit, you are looking at a person who enjoy's the classics and this new one. Not saying you can't dislike this game, but people in the fanbase like me do exist.

Edited by Urban Flow

It was pretty obvious what Remz meant, you just didn't get it.
Sean, some advice: telling someone "you don't get it" is not gonna help that person get it if you're not gonna tell them what it is they missed.

It should be worth saying that I knew what he meant, the whole point i questioned him in the first place was going to test his argument to see how strong it held up. Something I made obvious myself that people apparently missed.

• Thumbs Up 1

which would be nice if he went and clarified what he meant instead of simply leaving a like on someone at his defense and doing nothing else when someone questions him on the subject.

Sean, some advice: telling someone "you don't get it" is not gonna help that person get it if you're not gonna tell them what it is they missed.

It should be worth saying that I knew what he meant, the whole point i questioned him in the first place was going to test his argument to see how strong it held up. Something I made obvious myself that people apparently missed.

You test it then. It looks like it's pretty strong to me.

I'm not going to elaborate on it because the statement stands on it's own. 

It seems to me the only people that think this game is a shallow piece of turd are people that haven't played it, whilst everyone else, reviewers, early buyers seem to think it is good, almost great as far as games go. I would wager virtually everyone saying "hey this game is pretty good" would most likely mean the game is pretty good, but I guess it's more believable it's a piece of unplayable shallow turd based on the impressions of people that watched a twitch.tv stream of the game.

I do not think this game is going to reinvent the wheel, or be some kind of god given gift to action gamers, we already had that game and it was called Bayonetta. What I do think it will be is a great action game that will tide me over till revengeance, more or leess.

If you think that's not good enough to reboot DMC over, that's fair enough. But IMO after the lump of shit that was DMC4 that series was clearly dead until this happened anyway, and a reboot preserving the basic mechanics is better than the alternative.

Pray tell, how does this happen? Why does it happen? Why do games like this get great reviews? I mean, even setting aside insulting it is and how far out of its way it goes to be edgy and provocative, the gameplay is so mechanical and soulless that it almost makes Sonic Heroes look deep and compelling. It takes "style over substance" and freaking runs with it. Even if it weren't for all the offensive fluff, the gameplay is the heart of any game, and DmC's gameplay is vapid at best, at least in comparison to the previous series games. Say what you will about DMC4, but DMC3 was a game that actually required skill. Its gameplay actually had some semblance of depth to it, and you were always encouraged to experiment with all kinds of different moves, combos and styles. What happened to that?What was wrong with that? Why does this game even exist?

it's like seriously playing a combination of trickster, swordmaster and nero with some more moves thrown in, why everyone calls it shallow is beyond me.

"MODERN SONIC SUCKS. I WANT CLASSIC BACK"

Basically 

• Thumbs Up 2

Show me an Eastern review of this game then I'll be more inclined to actually give a damn.

This is East vs West.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who has never played the original DMC's... Why has this game made so many people angry?

FFXIII has amongst it's reviews a 40, 50 and multiple 60s. Someone somewhere actually ballsed up and said that the game wasn't that good, whereas by contrast DmC has yet to score below 70 from a major outlet.

FFXIII isn't even /that/ bad of a game either. A little boring yeah but the battles are okay 

I've stolen this from another forum-

Gaming Age - B+

Destructoid - 9/10 A beautiful, bold, and supremely enjoyable videogame in its own right. It deserves to be praised...Action games may come deeper and harder than this, but few are as pleasurable. 

Giantbomb 5/5

CvG 9/10

Gamesradar 4/5

Gamespot - 8/10 DmC succeeds both in its story and in its brilliant combat, and it looks the business too, despite a few minor glitches and the more colour-soaked levels looking like they've spent a little too much time in an Instagram filter.

IGN - 8.9/10 360 version | 8.5/10 PS3 version Long-time Devil May Cry fans unsure of Ninja Theory's treatment can abandon their fears. DmC hurls Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a glorious combat system and enough style to make old Dante proud. 

EGM - 9.5/10 DmC is everything a reboot should be-confident, thoughtful, and brazenly unafraid to sacrifice a few sacred cows along the way. For all the backlash they've had to face, developer Ninja Theory has delivered the most polished, refreshing, and memorable hack-and-slash experience in recent memory. 

1UP - A Ninja Theory's reboot is brazen, fast, and devilishly clever

Edge - 8/10 This is the best entry in its genre since Bayonetta, and might just be the best game Ninja Theory has made to date.

Eurogamer - 8/10 Ninja Theory has absolutely nailed the leading man and the combat system - by far the most important things - and DmC is clearly a labour of love, a tribute as well as a new beginning. 

Gametrailers - 8.5/10 Ninja Theory has done right by Devil May Cry, delivering a striking game that honors the series' essence while still feeling like the product of a distinct vision. If you can forgive a few excesses--like the pretty-but-toothless boss fights--you'll find that your old friend hasn't changed all that much on the inside, in spite of his new style. 

Thesixaxis - 7/10 

It’s obvious why long time fans of Devil May Cry had concerns about the reboot of the series but Ninja Theory have done a lovely job with taking over the reigns. It’s certainly not without its issues, and at this stage in a generation you feel like a game should probably be wielding more graphical clout, but the game’s combat more than makes up for it. It’s simply brilliant, and you can have a lot of fun trying out the different options it presents you. Once Dante’s picked up every weapon there’s simply so much available to you, and it’s what sets the game apart.

PSNation - A- Even with some weird yet minor issues, ‘DmC: Devil May Cry’ is a really good game. I’d say that Ninja Theory have done a great job with rebooting the franchise, and have definitely earned some props with this one. Even with the ridiculous end-boss (thanks to Phil Kollar for revealing the obvious to me), DmC should satisfy anyone looking for an over-the-top, action-packed experience with an amazing flair for the cinematic.

Gameinformer - 9/10

Famitsu - 34/40 9/8/9/8

OXM UK - 9/10 (Not 100% confirmed yet)

X360 Magazine UK - 9/10

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285376208567402496 

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285835930781220866

LEVEL (Swedish game magazine) - 9/10

But these don't look like reviews for a bad game. Famitsu gave it a 34/40 if you want a Japanese perspective. I'm reserving judgement until I play it. and that will have to wait until I finish replaying DMC1

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who has never played the original DMC's... Why has this game made so many people angry?

Think Classic vs. Modern debates, but with Devil May Cry fans.

I wouldn't say the situation is comparable to classic vs. modern Sonic, although the fandoms' actual reactions and behaviors may be. When they changed Sonic for the Dreamcast it was primarily a change in art style and tone, but it was still the same characters in the same world. DmC isn't merely any of this; it's a completely different setting with a character who happens to be named Dante but was built from the ground up by the new develops, and he has little in common with the original Dante in personality, mannerisms, and behavior because the head developer has gone on record saying that the old Dante isn't cool anymore.

The people who dislike the new DMC game but aren't being obnoxious about it take issue with Dante's characterization and the combat resembling the old games only on the surface.

Most of the non-gameplay complaints boil down to taste and you honestly cannot fault those who don't like the direction the series is heading. But judging from the reviews, it's a solid action game if not a true-to-heart DMC entry.

Of course, I'm not denying that people's reactions to this (on either side) have been pretty obnoxious, so the way people have been tearing each other apart over this would make anything seem fucking ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

It was more based on reactions than anything else, and I can understand why people would be upset at a game like this, hell I even admitted the presentation itself is stupid and Dante's characterization comes off as forced and just stipid.. I just really don't like how the fans are treating this as if it's the end of the fucking world, I mean I knew this game wasn't going to sit well with everybody but I feel the complaints in this topic have moved past constructive criticism to outright butthurt.

Now here's the thing about that too. Despite Tameem being a twit and saying the old Dante isn't cool anymore, the original concept and early versions of the game (as in well before the unveiling) stuck close to the original design of Dante and the game series. It was Capcom that told them to quit that.

Edited by King Of Awesome

Now here's the thing about that too. Despite Tameem being a twit and saying the old Dante isn't cool anymore, the original concept and early versions of the game (as in well before the unveiling) stuck close to the original design of Dante and the game series. It was Capcom that told them to quit that.

Exactly, which is no reason to blame Ninja Theory for that big decision. Capcom should be one to actually blame. But like I said before, this is me still perfectly okay with this change no matter what.

Alright, no more hate! TIME FOR LAUGHTER.

I once heard the best way to criticise or make fun of something is to point a mirror at it. Case in point:

'Advance video game storytelling', huh? All I see is bad dialog, needless profanity and juvenile attempts to be 'edgy'. How amusing.

This is the Shadow the Hedgehog of action games.
Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just really don't like how the fans are treating this as if it's the end of the fucking world

Quite a few people believe, and not without any cause, that should DmC become successful and spawn its own line of games, we won't ever get old Dante and co. back. Why should they go back to old Dante if Donte sells well and gets critical praise from all sides? Capcom hasn't exactly been known for looking out for their fans in recent years, so prospects look grim.

That said, there is of course over-reacting in this case. But I'm not even much of a DMC fan and I'm not looking too optimistic.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

To be fair, almost every review outlit said the story was atrocious save for Jim Sterling, and think of who Jim Sterling is. He's the guy who always wants to talk about Johnathon Holmes' anus.

To be fair, almost every review outlit said the story was atrocious save for Jim Sterling, and think of who Jim Sterling is. He's the guy who always wants to talk about Johnathon Holmes' anus.

That said though, the gameplay at best seems to sit on the better side of "okay." Not nearly good enough for the nines this thing is getting. I understand eights, I guess, but nine?

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Really? Which reviews? Last I checked, only Adam Sessler actually said the story was bad, every other review either said it was awesome or dodged the issue.

Every review I've read, save for Sterling's, have said the story is nothing to write home about (and Sterling was praising it for being stupid!), it doesn't suddenly make DmC "Shakespearean" as that lovely woman was claiming (that statement was and still is hilarious).

Edited by King Of Awesome