Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

Sterling is full of shit.

way to tear apart innocent fan art Mr. Journalist.

Exactly. He's treating the fan art as if it were an actual, professional design that someone decided to show the public.

But yeah, that design actually looks okay, in my opinion. It's definitely better than "Emo Pommy Guy" Dante which that British bastard forced upon us. Seriously, I've seen CAW and Sims versions of Dante that look better than Ninja Theory's design.

Yeah, Sterling's full of shit. That design is way better than what Ninja Theory came up with. The hair is pure Dante, even when mostly black (the patches of white actually remind me of my brother's attempts to dye his hair), the clothing is sweet-ass and definitely suits him, he's actually smirking, and then there's the small nods to DMC3. It looks fresh and cool while still recognizably Dante.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

The fan art does look better than the Emo Git version we're getting from Ninja Theory, and that you can still recognize him as Dante, similar to DMC3 version while still feels new and fresh.

Sterling is full of shit.

Always has been, and always will be.

You see, Sterling has been dick riding it ever since it was first shown off, so it took very little effort on his part to relapse into his typical "everyone who complains about something that I like is a retard" style of colossal hypocrisy journalism. Of particular note, see how he himself calls it "a little emo" and then in his next post he says people calling the design emo "don't know what that word means."

Edited by Tornado

You know, after taking about 2 months to cool of my NURD RAEG and getting (re)acquainted with DMC3/4, Bayonetta, and Ninja Theory's other games I'm starting to warm up to the new game, somewhat. This is mainly because I think I finally understand Capcom's plan with this title.

First things first, Capcom is NOT as ignorant of its fanbase as this game would lead you to believe. Capcom has done a really great job this past half decade by listening to its fans and understanding how they tick. They understand how iconic their characters are and how deeply important their appearance is for the fans.

In fact I think it their decision for the new design proves this. Dante's design, despite being a clusterfuck of weaboo cliches, Is easily the most unique and iconic to come from the company since Megaman and Ryu. They know that Dante's appearance brought a lot of hype to MvC3 and they'd have to be ignorant not to notice that 80% of the matches at their presentations involved Dante. People were nipping at the bit, getting hyped for the next game in the series.

Now get this, imagine if they had just announced DMC5 staring classic Dante, same old story about evil demon trying to gain Sparda's power, same engine and weapon types as DMC3/4, maybe make Lady/Trish playable for once. Would fans get hyped? Yes! But would there be any real advances for the series? Not much. Back in the PS2 era DMC1/3 were able to reinvent the wheel twice because there wasn't much competition in genre. But now stylish hack n' slashers are like the new beat-em-up genre from the 90's, and the original creator of DMC has gone on to reinvent the wheel for the third time with Bayonetta.

Remember when I said Capcom isn't stupid? They knew that if they want to be the king of the genre it created again big changes were needed. They knew was gonna take something mind blowing to prove that this isn't just Super DMC4 SE. They knew that went it comes to business any publicity is good publicity, most of the time. Remember that Capcom demanded that NT make a design that would piss the creators off, so they KNEW that fans would go apeshit.

Do you get it yet? Maybe this will help:

dmctroll.png

Yep, Capcom trolled us hard and we fell for the bait; hook, line, and sinker; doing what fanboys do best on the internet: getting louder and more unignorable the more we RAEG'D. Whether this game succeeds or not the entire gaming community will be watching to see exactly what becomes of this.

Now I'm very confident that by the end of this game Dante will be a lot closer to the bleach haired Alucard imitator we loved. Notice how Capcom/NT were quick to respond to the backlash, stating that this would be an origin story and that Dante would be changing throughout the game. Although they never say how he'll be changing, considering that changing him even further would only deter the fans even further the only logical plan is to give the butthurt fans exactly what they want in the end.

As for NT, I may have despised the fact that they are developing but after playing Heavenly Sword again and the Enslaved demo I realized that they probably more of a double edged sword. For one NT know how to tell a damn good story which the DMC games have been severely lacking, despite the hardcore gameplay the plots a usually flaccid at best. Even DMC3 barely works as a origin story, all we learn about Dante's character is why he helps humans and how he got the name for his shop. Hell, Lady, a non-playable supporting character, gets a more fleshed-out back story and even that isn't much. What I anticipate from this game is a real solid back story, one that actually explains Dante's relationship with his parents, why he and Virgil despise each other, and what got him into demon hunting to begin with.

However the other edge of that sword are some potentially serious flaws. First, if DmC gets and engaging well written plot like NT the games' the quirky bizarre humor of the series would be gone.

No more shooting succubi in the gut, tranforimg them into electric guitars and busting out a random epic solo riff.

No more breaking into Shakepearan prose with a OCD bug demon scientist beofre a boss fight.

No more FILLING DARK SOULS WITH LLIIIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT!

However if Dante is still a wise-craking, fun loving douche I'll be fine with it.

Finally the big elephant in the room when mentioning NT's influence on the game, the gameplay. So far we've seen nothing and based on NT's previous games their combat systems are above average, at best. This is the one area that still worries me because no matter how Dante looks or how good the story is this aspect will ultimately make or break the game.

Damn, that's a long post. Anyway take everything I've said with a few spoons of salt, none of this is confirmed and it's mostly just rabid speculation with a bit of wishful thinking.

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy

• 6 months later...

That looked...

Dull.

I have no other word for it right now. It looks generic. Doesn't help that the trailer is poorly edited as fuck.

That looked...

Dull.

I have no other word for it right now. It looks generic. Doesn't help that the trailer is poorly edited as fuck.

My sentiments exactly. I just don't think it was godawful, but it didn't catch my eye at all. I mean it looked like Heavenly Sword when Heavenly Sword was new...which was years ago so it isn't looking too grand now.

Edited by turbojet

So Dante devil trigger's into his white haired look? Um...okay.

The gameplay looks a lot more aerial-based than previous DMC games, but yeah, it is kinda like Heavenly Sword. Here's hoping the reception tells us it's good.

The gameplay looks a lot more aerial-based than previous DMC games, but yeah, it is kinda like Heavenly Sword. Here's hoping the reception tells us it's good.

Gonna be hard to maintain those aerials when the guns have a cooldown timer!

That's kinda backwards from what we had in DMC 3 and 4. We could go around shooting enemies as long as we want, but now it has to cool down?

Yeah.

Guns in DMC have infinite ammo because they're combo extenders. You can use them to get some airtime, keep your combo meter up while closing distances, crowd control, stun and enemy or finish off a cool move with a charged shot - they have infinite ammo and, as a tradeoff, deal much less damage. It's a fairly balanced system and any DMC fan knows this.

Ninja Theory does not.

Also call me a debbie downer but the real game will be plagued with tearing and framedrops, as if being 30fps wasn't bad enough. The trailer didn't show that, but rest assured they'll be present.

On the plus side, expectations are so low that the game can only surprise me positively now!

Well... at least the white hair is back, sort of. And the gameplay is pretty slick looking, I guess it's not all ba-

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

... That's the Devil Trigger? It's yet another generic "super mode" that every hack-and-slash has these days. The white hair still doesn't improve the horrid hairstyle.

Also, the action in the trailer is meh. Like the first trailer, there's nothing uniquely "Devil May Cry" about it, nothing incredibly over the top.

... That's the Devil Trigger? It's yet another generic "super mode" that every hack-and-slash has these days.

Isn't that what Devil Trigger is supposed to be? Like it was in the last 4 games?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Isn't that what Devil Trigger is supposed to be? Like it was in the last 4 games?

I meant visually. In the last four games, the Devil Trigger was visually distinct from regular Dante, hell, there's even different forms for the Devil Trigger in 1, 2 and 3 (especially 3). Even Nero's Devil Trigger was actually unique.

It could be part of the plot, tho. We are dealing with a younger Dante who hasn't fully matured his powers, so I find it good that they're keeping the white hair we've known on the character.

Also, it's a major plot-hole. Dante in DMC3 was explicitly unable to use the Devil Trigger in ANY capacity until Vergil kicked his ass the first time.

Also, it's a major plot-hole. Dante in DMC3 was explicitly unable to use the Devil Trigger in ANY capacity until Vergil kicked his ass the first time.

Dante in DMC1 also claimed that even as a kid he always had powers right after Trish shocked the hell out of him through his sword and threw her motorcycle at him. Dante wasn't a kid in DMC3, but in this game the developers say that he's a teenager in this game if I remember correctly. And he wasn't able to use Devil Trigger in that game until he got stabed in the chest by the Alastor sword.

Given that detail, this could be assumed to be a lesser variant of the Devil Trigger.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic