Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Or Ninja Theory is incapable of making a game that can actually sell. Their last two games crashed and burned at retail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also good reviews can't override the virtually palpable vitriol and hatred the game has gotten for the past 2 years.

I still think, as blasphemous as it may be to say, that the reason DmC Is not doing as well as DMC4 is because the fourth kind of poisoned the well when it comes to this series.

B-But dood! If that really is the case for games, then Devil May Cry 3 would have been a massive failure in the face of the aftermath that was Devil May Cry 2.

Which these sales figures prove to not be the case.

Devil May Cry 2 Sales.

Devil May Cry 3 Sales.

B-But dood! If that really is the case for games, then Devil May Cry 3 would have been a massive failure in the face of the aftermath that was Devil May Cry 2.

Which these sales figures prove to not be the case.

Devil May Cry 2 Sales.

Devil May Cry 3 Sales.

#1. I didn't say that.

#2. VG Chartz are bullshit. (I need to emphasize this.)

#3. But now you mention it, DMC3 did sell less than 2. Especially during it's first week.

iXEp1Da1tNbdD.png

DMC2 and 4, in terms of impact on public opinion are both very different games, too.  DMC2 was a sequel released after a blockbuster original, which you can see by how well it sold in first week when compared to the original. Whereas 4 was a game launching at the start of a gen from a well known franchise- many people are going to check it out just to see how the series made the transition.

Also hilariously the real sales numbers back up what you were saying sarcastically. First week of sales DMC3 sold like shit, especially compared to the previous entries.. Presumably because 2 was so awful, it poisoned the well ;D

I can only imagine the reason it sold so well in the long run is that word of mouth got out that the game was actually really damn good and people bought it. Now DmC could very well still be a failure, but it might also have legs like DMC3 did. Who knows?

I'm aware these are japanese numbers, but I imagine they're mostly reflective of worldwide, and perhaps even worse for Japan specifically due to their notorious xenophobia, regardless the moral of the story is don't use VGChartz

#1. I didn't say that.

I know you didn't say that, I just figured if that would be the case for DmC, then it might have happened with DMC3.

Regarding the VG Charts thing, I actually found too different DMC sales stats that seemed to contradict the other. I wasn't sure which one, (if either of them) could be believed. The other was from a wiki, which is why I was reluctant to trust it, but here it is anyway.

Devil_May_Cry_sales_figures.png

Hmm, I posted specifically to prove you wrong, but it seems to have backfired horribly. Grr, I'll get you next time gadget!! lol

But seriously, I don't think Ninja Theory and Capcoms attitude towards the fans helped matters, when it comes to DmC sales. Sure it was wrong of fans to do stupid stuff like sending death threats, but Tameem should've done the mature thing, by letting the game speak for itself. But no, he had to keep poking the bear, and the bear responded by waiting for Metal Gear Rising instead of buying DmC.

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 2

I still think, as blasphemous as it may be to say, that the reason DmC Is not doing as well as DMC4 is because the fourth kind of poisoned the well when it comes to this series.

I am actually not that surprised. I remember correctly, Japan's biggest seller is mobile gaming anyways. I heard the Xbox 360 version only sold like 5,000 copies or so while PS3 did alot better (also it being a japanese made brand) I don't think the Japanese are much gamers like they were back then. Like mobile games is the thing for them now. At least thats what I have heard. Interested in seeing the western sales however.

It is a simple business practice that Capcom failed to do: Do not insult the consumer and then ask for them to buy their game. You don't watch a trailer and say, "Watch my movie/Buy my product/Use extenze, jackass." They did this by themselves, Remz. Don't blame the previous game when DMC4 sold more than Bayonetta and Vanquish combined(for completely different reasons). People still like DMC4 and a lot of it's problems could have been easily rectified to be a better game. You make it sound like it was DMC2.

It is a simple business practice that Capcom failed to do: Do not insult the consumer and then ask for them to buy their game. You don't watch a trailer and say, "Watch my movie/Buy my product/Use extenze, jackass." They did this by themselves, Remz. Don't blame the previous game when DMC4 sold more than Bayonetta and Vanquish combined(for completely different reasons). People still like DMC4 and a lot of it's problems could have been easily rectified to be a better game. You make it sound like it was DMC2.

Eeeh? Were the trailers really that insulting? I mean a lot of the trailers did not look particularly good, and some of them were just plain shite (meth addict dante), but most of the really insulting media was for enthusiast press. Game magazines, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that Tameem saying old dante is "uncool" or that he doesn't care what fans think would have entered enough minds in the mainstream to have this big of an impact on sales, everywhere, so that there are probably more contributing factors than just pissed off fans. It's tempting to believe fan hate matters when you post on game forums all day but I doubt it. 

Or Ninja Theory is incapable of making a game that can actually sell. Their last two games crashed and burned at retail.

I can believe this too, I don't own enslaved

• Thumbs Up 1

Eeeh? Were the trailers really that insulting? I mean a lot of the trailers did not look particularly good, and some of them were just plain shite (meth addict dante), but most of the really insulting media was for enthusiast press. Game magazines, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that Tameem saying old dante is "uncool" or that he doesn't care what fans think would have entered enough minds in the mainstream to have this big of an impact on sales, everywhere, so that there are probably more contributing factors than just pissed off fans. It's tempting to believe fan hate matters when you post on game forums all day but I doubt it. 

I figured somebody else would fill you in, but I guess I'll do it.

The trailers themselves aren't the insulting things. (Unless you want to count the shagging, the "Shakespearean" story quote or the intro.)

Tameem is a twit. Wait, is that right? A twitter? 

So his dumbass disrespect and insults already reach a wider audience. That's the power of all those social media websites. It's much easier to share information and even talk to people who are in the public eye. Add to that, stuff like youtube and forums, it becomes more believable that Tameem and Capcoms twittery can reach a massive part of the fanbase.

Just to give an example, a forum and youtube, resulted in my decision to not buy the game. Back on page 30 of this thread, I picked up on something turbojet had said about the behavior of Tameem and Capcom. I couldn't believe it, stating I was "close to pre-ordering" the game.

His reply was several links to youtube videos, by a guy under the name of Main Event. He goes into detail about aspects of the game in it's demo form, as well as share further insults from Tameem and Capcom and does it all without attacking anyone that might like the game and want to play it.

Capcom even tried to silence him several times, even though he was only sharing facts. Amusingly, Capcoms attempts failed.

And all that was before the wig insult and the DLC, DMC3 skin insult. (Insulting that Capcom wants fans to pay, to play as our Dante.(Even though he still looks like shit.))

That last line you said, sounded like a subtle insult to me, but maybe I'm over thinking things. If you want the details of those other insults, you'll have to watch Main Events videos. Most of my post is just repeating what others have already said anyway...

I'm reasonably sure I've answered your question though.

I would also bet that the downfall of Megaman must have some sort of effect on Capcoms sales, seeing as how they brought it on themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just beat the game on Dante Must Die! Man it was real intense! Working on getting all the Keys and lost souls and started Heaven and Hell.

Loving the PC version! Playing this game at 60FPS makes it feel far better than the console versions. The loading times are like 3 seconds long and the graphics look great on ultra. I'll be working towards getting the game 100% completed on the PC version now.

GameTrailers have a comparison video of the game on their site. It's worth a look. (Can't post it due to the player not working right)

Edited by BlueTidalGamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Loving the PC version! Playing this game at 60FPS makes it feel far better than the console versions. The loading times are like 3 seconds long and the graphics look great on ultra. I'll be working towards getting the game 100% completed on the PC version now.

GameTrailers have a comparison video of the game on their site. It's worth a look. (Can't post it due to the player not working right)

I am gonna have to check it out! Also, I find the fat jokes Dante says to Tyrants quite funny xD

Should I be laughing at this, or no?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Not quite sure because, with Capcom this means they're going to take this as no one wanting DMC and just tossing the series out.

• Thumbs Up 7

So... First week sales in Japan are worse than any DMC game by far.

iXEp1Da1tNbdD.png

So much for "expanding the series' audience".

Whelp, at this rate, Capcom is either gonna kill the franchise or go back to the original games, the latter of which is far preferable.

Justice has been served.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not quite sure because, with Capcom this means they're going to take this as no one wanting DMC and just tossing the series out.

You know what? I'm just gonna up and say "let em".

If treating the series like Megaman is what they'll end up doing because of the sales, then I say let them shoot themselves in the foot again until they can get whatever the fucking message is that they're missing.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

So... First week sales in Japan are worse than any DMC game by far.

iXEp1Da1tNbdD.png

So much for "expanding the series' audience".

Whelp, at this rate, Capcom is either gonna kill the franchise or go back to the original games, the latter of which is far preferable.

either franchise dies or they continue DmC. og dante is dead.

I'll be interested to see PC sales. The port is very good, provided you have a controller.

• Thumbs Up 3

Having just finished DmC on the PC, i'll be giving my impressions.

This new DmC generated controversy since day 1. Diferent developer (Japanese to UK? ruh roh), a redesigned Dante, things didn't seem to bode well. Hell, i admit i join the hate wagon myself for quite a while. But now the game is upon us, reviews have been good, and it has been released on all intented platforms.

So, what to say about DmC? It's a good game, standing well on it's on ground. Gameplay now uses a soft lock system (which fizzes here and there), and is quite free and fluid. It also has plenty of depth, although i'd wager guessing not DMC3 levels of depth. Like said above me, a controller is a must.

Graphics and sound wise, the drop to 30 fps comes with a slew of extra horse power NT used to embelish the world. Enemy mobs don't have the most interesting designs though.

What is most evident in the developer switch though, is Ninja Theory's storytelling and showmanship. The characters all stand on their own, and the story even meshes into something (won't win any awards though!).

DmC stands well on it's own merit, and is probably Ninja Theory's best game yet. Try it, it might surprise you.

• Thumbs Up 1

> Game's sales completely tank

> Capcom probably going to kill the franchise as a result

> Expected out of ten

The most disappointing part of this for me is the fact that Shitty Not Dante is probably going to replace Dante in guest appearances and promotional art, like in Playstation All Stars. Damn shame, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've played Ninja Theory's previous games.

Being their best game to date doesn't really fill me with a lot of confidence.

• Thumbs Up 8

They rebooted the DmC series. It's done now, they'll never go back to the old Dante. Once a series has gotten a reboot, it never gone back to its old ways.

You only thing you have to hope for is that in DmC 2, the game will play like DMC3/4 with the new Dante.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana