Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

I just watched the boss fight with the Bill O' Reilly expy. I gotta admit, while I think it feels out of place for the Devil May Cry series to have a Fox News Satire, that fight was awesome! Bill O'Reilly meets the MCP from Tron, there's something quite funny about that.

Recently, I just got DMC 3 and despite my computer being the worst choice for PC gaming in the world I'm having a blast with it. I can definitely tell the cultural differences in these two games, with the original (At least DMC 3 from what I played so far) being more like an over the top stylized anime with a Japanese sense of humor, with DmC having a more western feel to it in terms of action and humor. Considering it was made by a British studio, I can't say i'm surprised by the difference

I'm kind of an Otaku, so I kinda prefer the "lolsosilly" Japanese humor of DMC3. but other than that, I think DmC looks pretty fun IMO, despite it's differences. Yeah, it's slower paced, but I don't think it's detracting me from wanting to try it out sometime. Plus I haven't played all the games in the series so I can't really say which series is better. (Though I am Considering skipping DMC 2 if it's as bad as everyone says it is.)

I can't buy DmC for PC, because more recent games do not work on my dinky laptop, (I learned that the hard way when buying Sonic Generations...) and I'm sure as hell not buying it for the X-Box 360... It's located in the living room of my family's house, and the content in the game would lead to some awkwardness. Doesn't help that my Dad is kind of superstitious when when it comes to demons in media. Soooo, it's probably going to be a while before I play it.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really see why when they should know better at this point.

I can't find any under $30.

For such a widely hated game, it sure is maintaining a normal price. Even used.

Oh my god, it's almost like it's selling well enough to maintain price :o

• Thumbs Up 2

The game's been out for less than a month, $30 is asking for a lot.

I'm just gonna wait for a massive discount on Steam, which won't be for a long while but I'm not itching to play it soon either. At maybe 12 dollars I can probably have a fun weekend with this game.

I can't find any under $30.

For such a widely hated game, it sure is maintaining a normal price. Even used.

*sigh*

Despite what Remz may think, recently released games that are also pre-owned tend to stay close to the originals price. I got Darksiders 2 on Wii U a couple of weeks back, they had a pre-owned copy for about 3 or 5 bucks cheaper than a new one. I wanted the new one. :P

Anyway, as far as I know, it's always been like that. The used copies will get cheaper as the game ages. (Just like the new copies would.)

Oh my god, it's almost like it's selling well enough to maintain price ohmy.png

Oh my god! People selling used games they don't like at a lower price than they bought it ohmy.png (see, I can do it too)

I was looking at used games. Of course new is going to stay the same for a while.

I found a couple of listings for $15 on eBay, but it ends in 2 days, hope it stays that way.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

Oh my god! People selling used games they don't like at a lower price than they bought it ohmy.png (see, I can do it too)

The problem I have with this logic is that nobody will really just dump the game at a low price if it is selling well enough. People want to recoup the costs as much as possible. If the game is $60 new, it probably won't be used for $15. Ebay? Sure, but you're most likely going into a bidding war that will make the price jump back up to a more reasonable selling price.

Unless you have a friend that wants to dump the game, you won't find it cheap. Especially when the game just came out. Wait a couple more weeks and lower prices may be more reasonable.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

Where? hahahaha

I don't get why people who haven't played this game get so mad about it. 

I wonder if my PC would even run it.

If you've ever played a UE3 game before you should be fine with this. It actually really runs well on Pc. I get like a billion FPS. 

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/92525

Thats a bargain for it. 20 aus dollars for steam activated key. The description by the guy who posted the bargain states its region free. Click his link to go to the cdkeys website.

Great deal! Although the moral ramifications of buying from a CD Key site are still up for debate, that's a great price for the game. 

Unless you have a friend that wants to dump the game, you won't find it cheap. Especially when the game just came out. Wait a couple more weeks and lower prices may be more reasonable.

Pretty much. Despite the 4chan consensus that this game is doomed for the bargain bin within a week of release due to it being a slight against the glorious face of DMC, it's probably going to hold price for some time. It's not a total flop like something like Operation Racoon City, and the bewilderment that isn't is amusing.

UHAG, you could probably pick up the DMC HD collection for pretty cheap. smile.png

Where? hahahaha

I don't get why people who haven't played this game get so mad about it.

You do realize he saying that he was looking to play the game used and wasn't getting mad about it. Right?

You do realize he saying that he was looking to play the game used and wasn't getting mad about it. Right?

Of course, I realise he was asking for the game used somewhere, but despite that, it would appear the market has been flooded. It also appears he was rustled by my remarks! Which don't appear to happen with other games.

You're even rustled! You're even ignoring what I say just to call me out! Like always! Perhaps I should use more words so you can understand the point better?

Bleh, I'm just going to watch a playthrough.

For what it's worth, if you're watching a playthrough you're really not getting the most out of this game, the story alternates between being acceptable, and mediocre, and whilst the levels and combos are visually impressive, it is a lot more entertaining playing it yourself. I wouldn't consider this a very good spectator game.

Of course, I realise he was asking for the game used somewhere, but despite that, it would appear the market has been flooded. It also appears he was rustled by my remarks! Which don't appear to happen with other games.

I take it he was rustled because you made assumptions about him. He was looking to play the game at a reduced price, and you're mocking him about how well the game is doing.

You're even rustled! You're even ignoring what I say just to call me out! Like always! Perhaps I should use more words so you can understand the point better?

Cute, making assumptions of someone's emotions behind a computer screen. Since I'm so rustled, perhaps I should go to an admin and see if you're antagonizing a member? rolleyes.gif

Claiming to "ignore what you say" falls flat when you make stealth edits. Everyone knows that mods can easily edit their posts without the date and time it was edited, and it's not really clever.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can get Portal 2, Guild Wars 2, and Team Fortress 2 running, so I might be able to, but I'm not sure.

I dunno. you need a pretty top end PC with insane specs to run this game at it's best without slow down and such, you can't really afford to have slow down in Limbo when the stage tries to kill you in it's automated sections, plus you need a controller.

I've heard keyboard controls for the PC version are actually pretty decent for a game like this. Which isn't saying much, the original controls are godawful.

Also, I've seen the unlock screens for some of the weapons, and... Wow. The move variety is abysmal. There's only a few additional combos you can actually unlock for each weapon, everything else is just attack power for moves. And considering the moveset in the demo was already pathetic to begin with, well...

Why do we even need to have players buy combos, anyway? Bayonetta had every move for each weapon available from the start, you only needed to get additional weapons.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Well considering how easy the game is based on what people have said, I don't think that's much of an issue for players.

Why do we even need to have players buy combos, anyway?

I know a lot of games like Sonic Unleashed had combos that became more and more powerful. Restricting these powerful combos until you level up seems like a nice reward. I see your point though.

Previous Devil May Cry games didn't have damage increase upgrades (except DMC2, but that was a bad game), instead unlocking new combos and increasing versatility of existing moves. DmC, by design, in multiple ways, limits your moveset and encourages dealing more damage over being creative with your moves (such as the angel/devil enemies, such an unbelievably stupid idea). Shallow combat that discourages move variety is not what I'm looking for in a Devil May Cry game. This game is literally no more accessible than its predecessors are far as mechanics are concerned, it's just dumbed down.

I'd actually like to see a competitive 3D fighter in the style of DMC/Bayonetta, considering they already have the depth of fighting games. Throw in Bayonetta's combo system, its fluid dodge mechanic, Metal Gear Rising's parrying and DMC3/4's Royal Guard mechanic, and you've got a winner. I've heard Anarchy Reigns isn't quite so much a competitive experience, which isn't a bad thing, of course, but still.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I can get Portal 2, Guild Wars 2, and Team Fortress 2 running, so I might be able to, but I'm not sure.

With those games you might have a chance, but it's still kind of hard to say. It's a shame they didn't release a PC Demo or benchmark.

I've heard keyboard controls for the PC version are actually pretty decent for a game like this. Which isn't saying much, the original controls are godawful.

Also, I've seen the unlock screens for some of the weapons, and... Wow. The move variety is abysmal. There's only a few additional combos you can actually unlock for each weapon, everything else is just attack power for moves. And considering the moveset in the demo was already pathetic to begin with, well...

Why do we even need to have players buy combos, anyway? Bayonetta had every move for each weapon available from the start, you only needed to get additional weapons.

Regarding your first point, the demo has every available move unlocked for each weapon, They're just not listed. This includes the powerups for combos, and dodges, and the launchers from the grapple. So it's not really pathetic in addition to those, it's pathetic included if your metric is Bayonetta. But then every game is.

Regarding your second point, that's not true, you have to buy Bayo's equivalent of the Stinger (Stilletto) and Red Hot Kick from the store. Alongside with the <>P akira shoulder slam and <>K footstomp. I think the moves where you disappear and reappear have to be bought too. (witch twist?) But it's been so long I forget. There's enough moves to buy to fill out a whole section of Rodin's shop though.

I don't see having to buy moves as being a good thing, either so I agree with you that I'd like to see the end of it, but I don't think that the execution in DmC is particularly bad. You can respec at anytime, unlike say, DMC3 and there's no arbitrary ranking up system like DMC3 either. And as the moves are all of equal value, and don't increase in cost as you buy them , you don't have the kind of restriction in layout like you do in DMC4 after you buy a bunch of moves and the prices raise to extortionate amounts.

I don't think anyone really likes being locked out of styles, and I admit in these games there are a bunch of styles (gunslinger, quicksilver, etc) I don't bother with due to the trouble of levelling or ranking them up.

I can see why they do it, it gives the player a sense of getting stronger, or progression, and allows the end result move list to be very in depth without the one you have at the start being overly shallow. It's still annoying though.

And with the other post- the game you're describing just sounds a lot like Bayonetta with Rising sword parrying, as Royal Guard parry is in the game via an item. Although it's far less game breaking than the original iteration. 

Hopefully that dream game will just be Bayonetta 2. Although to be honest I think Rising's sword parry is very specific to that game and doesn't need to be shoehorned into something else. 

--------

Also a minor aside on combo variety, It kind of makes me wonder why the style system is the way it is, because it actually tracks a ridiculous amount of Style information that you can view in the stats menu

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124252832

Like it keeps track of repetition to an extent which i imagine is comparable to both Bayo and DMC3/4. So I imagine the easy SSS's must just be a result of tuning. Ie. Intentional. Weird.

I take it he was rustled because you made assumptions about him. He was looking to play the game at a reduced price, and you're mocking him about how well the game is doing.

Cute, making assumptions of someone's emotions behind a computer screen. Since I'm so rustled, perhaps I should go to an admin and see if you're antagonizing a member? rolleyes.gif

Claiming to "ignore what you say" falls flat when you make stealth edits. Everyone knows that mods can easily edit their posts without the date and time it was edited, and it's not really clever.

I'm sorry! It's just so hard to concentrate when you contribute nothing to this discussion and enter this thread just to poke at me biggrin.png
  • Thumbs Up 1