Awoo.

DmC: a new Devil May Cry

CrownSlayers Shadow

I can't really argue so much about the points about the shop and stuff, but I do agree that forcing you to buy combos is a silly idea.

And with the other post- the game you're describing just sounds a lot like Bayonetta with Rising sword parrying, as Royal Guard parry is in the game via an item. Although it's far less game breaking than the original iteration. 

Hopefully that dream game will just be Bayonetta 2. Although to be honest I think Rising's sword parry is very specific to that game and doesn't need to be shoehorned into something else.

I think it would be nice to give parrying and active blocking different roles - parrying is more offensive, while blocking is more defensive. In a fighting game, parrying would be a way to force your opponent into an opening, while active blocking would allow you more breathing room so you don't get hit. Overgrowth (which is a really fun game, even in alpha) only lets you throw an opponent after an active block, which can be followed up upon, or it can temporally take the heat off you if you're being attacked by multiple enemies.

I wouldn't say you should look at Overgrowth in other ways, though, it's a rather different kind of game (it's more about positioning and timing rather than combos, and like its predecessor, Lugaru, weapons are utterly lethal), but it can be quite deep in its own way.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

So I tried the Demo.

I would have prefered the guns be put one of the triggers rather than the square button. or at least the triangle button instead of square.

Other than that I'm not seeing anything wrong.

I need a new HDMI cable, or maybe switch HDMI ports. One of the sound lines isn't working, and Dante just flaps his lips with no words coming out.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as I had to wait a bit to play this, because it was already rented ( I'm not buying this) I decided to watch all the cutscenes.

That said when I actually got the game yesterday, I decided I would skip all of them since I just saw them earlier. So I chose nephilim difficulty, and finally dove into this game, having rather low expectations after all I heard, and,well I guess the game surpassed them...a little bit.

I mean, the game itself is fun for what it is, but it's not a very good DMC game, that's for sure. I started playing on hard, and about 4 hours later already have most of the weapons, and I'm over half way through the game. What happened to the difficulty?

I remember difficulty being one of the previous DMCs primary features. It was extremely fun, but very challenging. Some bosses would destroy you, but if you practiced enough, you could overcome them, and it made you feel like a badass. But this game just feels so... casual.

Any boss fight you face takes a few minutes at the most to defeat, the reason it took you so long is because you had to figure out there strategy, and most of the time there's not very much of one to begin with. That said I'm only just over half way done the game, I'll probably beat on my next session, sadly enough, and I'm not expecting the game to get much better.

EDIT: Almost forgot the S ranks.. it's almost like I have to TRY to not get them.

Edited by Nick

So, I'm fresh off of playing all five Devil May Cry games for the first time.  Yes, all of them.  To sum up my experience, DMC1: Unique and a solid challenge.  DMC2: Extremely monotonous.  I don't know how it's possible to make fighting a possessed helicopter and tanks boring, but they did it.  DMC3: Absolutely amazing.  Fighting demons by shredding hot licks on a guitar that spawns electric bats = MOST METAL VIDEO GAME EVER.  DMC4: Overall solid experience with easily the best combat in the series, but had some major pacing issues; the second half of the game felt kind of redundant.

So with that out of the way, the reboot.  This was kind of a weird-ass game, especially with Devil May Cry 4 still fresh in my mind.  But it's interesting to see how a western studio's reinterpretation of a very Japanese franchise.  Replacing DMC's classic Baroque atmosphere with something I can only call a hybrid between Gothic and Cyberpunk, the setting has a very unsettling dissonance to it.  A combination of bright, colorful neon lights with dark, bleak, claustrophobic corridors.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing; some of the levels had some of the most captivating visuals I've seen since El Shaddai.  In fact, I think the best way I could describe the atmosphere (and perhaps the game as a whole) is as something between El Shaddai and Prototype.

Though it inherits DMC's classic 20 mission structure, it has a very different pacing from its predecessors.  Rather than breaking up levels into discrete arenas and labyrinths, DmC's built as a continuous, linear experience that keeps pushing you forward.  Though I guess there are technically no QTEs, the "platforming" is basically built around fast-paced scripted events which don't feel a hell of a lot different.  It's definitely a faster game than DMC1-4, but is that really for the best?  It feels more akin to the Call of Duty school of design philosophy, which is to use perpetual loud sounds and explosive visuals to keep the player's attention from start to finish.  There was always some cool down time between groups of enemies in the old games which served to make the actual battles more exciting.  DmC's bombastic set pieces, linear structure and scripted events kind of turn the whole experience into one solid blur.

Of course, what makes Devil May Cry the phenomenon that it is is it's fluid, ridiculous and gratifying combat experience.  And the ballet of blades and bullets is all there, but for a few radical changes.  For starters, melee weapons are used by holding down shoulder buttons rather than toggling through them.  This makes combat with weapon switches flow much better, but makes certain maneuvers a bit awkward.  If I want to switch from my awesome battle axe to guns in the heat of battle, it's easy to forget I'm holding down R2 and shoot a grappling hook instead.  And the ever-changing purpose of the circle button is now launching enemies in the air (or while in the air, slaming them to the ground.)  Between this and the grappling hooks, you functionally have Nero's hand in your arsenal.

As for the story itself, I didn't hate it, but it wasn't particularly memorable either, if only for the aforementioned pacing issues.  It's pretty much a bigger and better version of DMC2's story, except the big bad actually IS a demon rather than on a quest to become one.  To be honest, I thought the characters were pretty solid.  People give new Dante a lot of guff for being an asshole, but to be honest he looks more like a douche than he actually is.  He shows genuine compassion and concern for his allies while still having the detached snarkiness that made the original popular (albeit with a few more curse words thrown in for good measure.)  Mundas was also a cool villain, and they did a really good job building him up.  They did a good job building his character around all the fears and problems we face in modern society.  There's no real social commentary, but fighting against his influence makes for a strong outlet against the concepts he embodies.  It's a pity the final fight with him couldn't live up to it.

All in all, I can't call it a worthy successor to the classic Devil May Cry experience, but that's not to say it doesn't make a solid case for its own direction.  It's a good game on its own rights, and probably would have been better off under a different label, but it's definitely an oddball- not just for the franchise, but for video games as a whole.  For that much, I think it's worth a shot.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, I'm fresh off of playing all five Devil May Cry games for the first time.  Yes, all of them.  To sum up my experience, DMC1: Unique and a solid challenge.  DMC2: Extremely monotonous.  I don't know how it's possible to make fighting a possessed helicopter and tanks boring, but they did it.  DMC3: Absolutely amazing.  Fighting demons by shredding hot licks on a guitar that spawns electric bats = MOST METAL VIDEO GAME EVER.  DMC4: Overall solid experience with easily the best combat in the series, but had some major pacing issues; the second half of the game felt kind of redundant.

So with that out of the way, the reboot.  This was kind of a weird-ass game, especially with Devil May Cry 4 still fresh in my mind.  But it's interesting to see how a western studio's reinterpretation of a very Japanese franchise.  Replacing DMC's classic Baroque atmosphere with something I can only call a hybrid between Gothic and Cyberpunk, the setting has a very unsettling dissonance to it.  A combination of bright, colorful neon lights with dark, bleak, claustrophobic corridors.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing; some of the levels had some of the most captivating visuals I've seen since El Shaddai.  In fact, I think the best way I could describe the atmosphere (and perhaps the game as a whole) is as something between El Shaddai and Prototype.

Though it inherits DMC's classic 20 mission structure, it has a very different pacing from its predecessors.  Rather than breaking up levels into discrete arenas and labyrinths, DmC's built as a continuous, linear experience that keeps pushing you forward.  Though I guess there are technically no QTEs, the "platforming" is basically built around fast-paced scripted events which don't feel a hell of a lot different.  It's definitely a faster game than DMC1-4, but is that really for the best?  It feels more akin to the Call of Duty school of design philosophy, which is to use perpetual loud sounds and explosive visuals to keep the player's attention from start to finish.  There was always some cool down time between groups of enemies in the old games which served to make the actual battles more exciting.  DmC's bombastic set pieces, linear structure and scripted events kind of turn the whole experience into one solid blur.

Of course, what makes Devil May Cry the phenomenon that it is is it's fluid, ridiculous and gratifying combat experience.  And the ballet of blades and bullets is all there, but for a few radical changes.  For starters, melee weapons are used by holding down shoulder buttons rather than toggling through them.  This makes combat with weapon switches flow much better, but makes certain maneuvers a bit awkward.  If I want to switch from my awesome battle axe to guns in the heat of battle, it's easy to forget I'm holding down R2 and shoot a grappling hook instead.  And the ever-changing purpose of the circle button is now launching enemies in the air (or while in the air, slaming them to the ground.)  Between this and the grappling hooks, you functionally have Nero's hand in your arsenal.

As for the story itself, I didn't hate it, but it wasn't particularly memorable either, if only for the aforementioned pacing issues.  It's pretty much a bigger and better version of DMC2's story, except the big bad actually IS a demon rather than on a quest to become one.  To be honest, I thought the characters were pretty solid.  People give new Dante a lot of guff for being an asshole, but to be honest he looks more like a douche than he actually is.  He shows genuine compassion and concern for his allies while still having the detached snarkiness that made the original popular (albeit with a few more curse words thrown in for good measure.)  Mundas was also a cool villain, and they did a really good job building him up.  They did a good job building his character around all the fears and problems we face in modern society.  There's no real social commentary, but fighting against his influence makes for a strong outlet against the concepts he embodies.  It's a pity the final fight with him couldn't live up to it.

All in all, I can't call it a worthy successor to the classic Devil May Cry experience, but that's not to say it doesn't make a solid case for its own direction.  It's a good game on its own rights, and probably would have been better off under a different label, but it's definitely an oddball- not just for the franchise, but for video games as a whole.  For that much, I think it's worth a shot.

I agree with this, alot of people give this game a very hard time but it really isn't all that bad, though I've only played the demo I did watch some videos but overall, ill just give this game a pass simply because I already have 3/4 so what else do I need plus if the demo IS anything to go by this looked and felt too easy compared to the others. Especially since ive been playing SASRT so that might have something to do with my difficulty lust at this point.

Edited by megadude001

Cool! only problem is I've gone back to finally finishing my platinum run in Bayonetta so I've kinda lost interest in this game. 

I'm guessing Vergil's Downfall is still a ways away too? 

Vergil's Downfall will be released on every platform on Febuary 28th. Said to add 4-6 hours of gameplay.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/playing-dmc-vergils-downfall

YAY! Now, let's hope HMV sticks around long enough for those of us who ordered it from there to get it for free. If not, then I'll still buy it :P

I also read that article, it was indeed interesting.
But I'm slightly confused about something. I always figured it was obvious that you not bite the hand that feeds you. Isn't that why people can be hired as PR managers? Assuming PR stands for what I think it stands for. (Public Relations?)

I just don't understand why it's so surprising. But anyway, this is all old news, it seems the new thing is bashing the new Tomb Raider game, I'm not really that into Tomb Raider, so I'm not familiar with the situation.

I knew that Tameem's mouth would be the biggest factor that drew away the very people he may have wanted to play the game, but I still find it funny how the sales went in response to this game.

I knew that Tameem's mouth would be the biggest factor that drew away the very people he may have wanted to play the game, but I still find it funny how the sales went in response to this game.

It seems they've learned from their mistakes though, I can't remember the last time Ninja Theroy let him anywhere near the press. 

The IDGAF attitude may seem cool on the outside but it's really not the way to go when you're rebooting an established franchise.

For the record I still don't think he had that much to do with the overall public opinion of the game, but he definitely tainted the core gamer/forum gamer's opinion of the game beyond repair

As someone who initially thought the hate was a bit overblown, I gotta say that article did help me understand some things. Do I think the game is a piece of shit? Not in the slightest, I think it's a competent game regardless of it's what on the box. However, I do think it's a terrible followup to an otherwise alright series, and the PR completely shitting on the previous incarnation and it's fans is really uncalled for. So, while I don't condone most of the vitrol that I've seen, I can at least sympathize.

• Thumbs Up 3

DmC Devil May Cry DLC trailer shows Vergil's Downfall

Play as Dante's brother this month, Bloody Palace mode also out today

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392262/dmc-devil-may-cry-dlc-trailer-shows-vergils-downfall/

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody Palace will keep me occupied till the 28th for Vergil. Really looking forward to playing that.

DmC DLC: Vergil's Downfall slips to early March
New playable character, story and more launching in two weeks
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392410/dmc-dlc-vergils-downfall-slips-to-early-march/

sad.png At the rate HMV is closing stores, the company will be gone before I get Vergil's Downfall for free. Not saying it's more important than people losing their jobs or anything, though.

• Thumbs Up 1