Awoo.

Sonic Colours HD

DistantJ

I take it thats your way of saying that you don't have anymore reasons or a counter argument as to why it shouldn't be ported?

So what? As someone who owns a wii I really couldn't care less how many games get ported to other systems. Only this one looks like a game that would actually sell pretty good if it was on other systems. Unless your on the Nintendo payroll, why the heck should anyone ever batter an eyelid?

Did you say if you have a Wii or not? If you do, in a sense it's unfair that your argument is that you don't want to play it on the Wii over playing it on the 360 or whatever, it's fine to feel that way, but don't shove it doen people's throats going "BAH, Sega's idiotic for seeing that Unleashed Wii sold gangbusters and I blame on price cuts!" (Which by the way is certainly not a universal situation, in Canada, if I recall, all versions were slowly going down in a similar speed, today you can get any version for $20 if you do some looking around.

Did it ever occur to you that the outstanding success of M&S and Brawl which of course has Sonic in it (advertised on the back cover even) contributed to the big success of Unleashed Wii? Iizuka even said he wanted to make Colors for the large new audience, I'm not sure if he specifically credited those games, but it's hard not to believe they helped.

When you're teaming with an icon like Mario instead of fighting against him, you're quickly climbing to big heights. Silly to say yes, but the evidence shows it's actually a possible fact.

If you DON'T have a Wii, then shelling out $200 isn't that bad, especially with other fantastic exclusive Wii games like those from Nintendo themselves, I'm sure you'll find others that you'll like, would you rather shell out $150 in an accessory to play a few games that you'll be forced to not play with an actual controller and that if it's not successful it'll die a fiery death *cough*Kinect*cough*? XD

And as I like to point out; 4 full priced Wii games = the price of a Wii. :P

Can we PLEASE not get out of hand with this argument? It's on Wii and DS period, try to accept that, if you want to wish for a port inside to yourself, you think I'm going to try and stop you? Never!

Just keep it to yourself please! :) Making a thread about it (not that you did, but you're certainly being extremely vocal about it) is going to cause angry discussions, and I'm trying to calm down the situation before folks get too fired up. :(

Edited by Hero of Legend
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd love a port of Sonic Colors to the PS3 and 360 consoles. Even if I had to buy a PlayStation Move just to play it, I would.

I think it's a real shame that a game that's essentially more of what I love in the PS3/360 version of Unleashed isn't even on the consoles that had said version of Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt anyone (except for some oversensitive Wii fans feelings)....

I, for once, would love a PC port.

*kicked out of the topic*

Did it ever occur to you that the outstanding success of M&S and Brawl which of course has Sonic in it (advertised on the back cover even) contributed to the big success of Unleashed Wii? Iizuka even said he wanted to make Colors for the large new audience, I'm not sure if he specifically credited those games, but it's hard not to believe they helped.

When you're teaming with an icon like Mario instead of fighting against him, you're quickly climbing to big heights. Silly to say yes, but the evidence shows it's actually a possible fact.

That's fine and dandy, but I don't see any real reason against a port to the HD consoles in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's fine and dandy, but I don't see any real reason against a port to the HD consoles in there.

I'll be honest, I'm oversensitive. :P

Biased to a point, but I try not to be crazy, at least I hope I'm not coming across as such. :(

I wasn't always like that, I was a very open person about platforms, must've been all of my time on the interwebs. >_<

I'm sorry. :(

Is there any reason why colors couldn't not be ported to the xbox360 or PS3..no.

I think it all have to do with money.

Did you say if you have a Wii or not? If you do, in a sense it's unfair that your argument is that you don't want to play it on the Wii over playing it on the 360 or whatever, it's fine to feel that way, but don't shove be going "BAH, Sega's idiotic for seeing that Unleashed Wii sold gangbusters and I blame on price cuts!" (Which by the way is certainly not a universal situation, in Canada, if I recall, all versions were slowly going down in a similar speed, today you can get any version for $20 if you do some looking around.

Yeah... I think it's safe to say that you've run out of an argument....

It's been over a year and a half that unleashed has been out, so I would jolly well hope that you could find a copy of Unleashed for around $20.... ... ... But less than a week after it's release? For any game? To drop in price by over half on some systems? Of course it'll sell well.

Are you actually going to make an effort to try and debunk that theory? That if you release a game which has gotten ok reviews during the Christmas rush and then reduce the price by over half that it won't sell?

Before you even try to, Black Knight sold quite well too, yet it got abysmal reviews... wanna know why? Again, they cut the price of it by over half barely a few days after it came out. One price cut for the half term holidays, then they cut it again after the holidays. Low and behold the sales figures climbed.

Again... did Brawl or Mario and Sonic appear on any other console bar nintendo? Also if people are really saying that Brawl is now a reason to judge popularity of Sonic games on systems, then we've really lost the bloomin plot I guess all those fans of the many other characters in the game just bought it for the fact Sonic was in there right?

Also since when is Brawl considered a Sonic game? Might as well say that the Eye-toy Sega Superstars game is a Sonic game if we're going down that road.

If you DON'T have a Wii, then shelling out $200 isn't that bad, especially with other fantastic exclusive Wii games like those from Nintendo themselves, I'm sure you'll find others that you'll like, would you rather shell out $150 in an accessory to play a few games that you'll be forced to not play with an actual controller and that if it's not successful it'll die a fiery death *cough*Kinect*cough*? XD

Don't try and pull the sales tactic on me because it falls flat and is wasted on me. Here is a photograph of my Wii... it's... on this desk.. somewhere....

biggestpieceofcrapIown.jpg

It is one of the worst purchase decisions I've made, I own a lot of games for it including secret rings, out of all of them, the only game I've ever bothered to complete was Trauma Centre: Second opinion, reason being is that the others all have the same problem... I have to sit in a specific position, with my sensor bar in a specific position and then hope that it actually does what I want it to. Now I'm being told that I have to pay another... what is it £30? To get a plug to slap on the end so I can actually play the new games correctly!? Yeah right... for me, the Wii is just a giant accessory that only works if I buy about a million other accessories for it. Right now, the only way I could make a worst purchase decision is if come November I run out, buy an Xbox 360 and Kinect... just to play Sonic Free Riders. That should give you an idea as to just how often that Wii system gets turned on per year in the house of Gnash.

Now I've got no intention of turning this into a 'why I dislike the Wii'.

But the fact about this whole debate which nobody has yet put up an argument against. "Why is this not getting a multiformat release?" and "What exactly is preventing it from getting one?" Is there anything at all based on what we've seen so far that means the other consoles cannot play this game?

Edited by Gnasher
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can we PLEASE not get out of hand with this argument? It's on Wii and DS period, try to accept that, if you want to wish for a port inside to yourself, you think I'm going to try and stop you? Never!

This is an internet Forum, a place where some go to state their opinions because they keep them to themselves in real life.

So people want Colors on their HD consoles? They have every right to voice their opinions on the matter.

Edited by Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps I am entitled because I own both a Wii and a 360 (or will at least be getting the Reach 360 very soon) or simply an ignorant or apathetic gamer, but either way these arguments are spun, I cannot bring myself to see what the big deal is. I see no shame or problem in this being a Wii exclusive or SD regardless of the fact that it could be ported to the HD consoles like every other Wii game in existence. However I wouldn't be adversed to a port either; I simply don't care what console it's on because I know I'll eventually play the damn thing. Ignoring the fact that Colors' exclusivity is not affecting my purchasing decisions, even during the times in my life where I didn't have the necessary console to play a particular game I really wanted to play, I figured I'd either buy the console eventually or get over it. No use wasting the energy being this upset, and that goes double for if I purposely sold or gave away a console I could have kept just in case a game with this kind of appeal came along.

I am in the same boat, Nepenthe. I own both a Wii and a 360 and I don't get what the big deal is either. I see equal bitching from both sides, just I always hear the same excuses when a console gets an exclusive as if this is some terrible crime and it MUST be on their console of choice. If I may say...

Consoles get exclusives.

Get over it.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Not everyone has both. So don't be surprised that they don't share your views. It's your opinion and stuff but still.

Edited by Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

The PS3 is my platform of choice this gen, but I'm fine with just a Wii (and DS) version of Colors.

Had this started out as a game for all consoles, I would have certainly bought it for PS3 as I do all multiplatform games. But I don't feel the need to desire a Wii game to go multiplatform just so I could get better graphics, trophy support, and whatnot. Sure, it would be nice for people that don't have a Wii. But, and I say this in the least offensive way as possible, I can't really be bothered feeling too sorry for people over videogame matters like that. You pay more, you play more.

Besides, "Sonic 2011" is right around the corner and is sure to be a PS360 game. It's like when HD owners were annoyed that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was Wii exclusive. Then Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was annouced, and they forgot all about TvC. Of course, I get access to both. :P

Edited by SykoTech

Not everyone has both. So don't be surprised that they don't share your views. It's your opinion and stuff but still.

I only had a gamecube last generation and I don't have a PS3 or PSP. I have missed titles like most of the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games, Shadow of the Colossus, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, or many more. Those are console exclusives I have never had a chance to play I wish I did. I can't though, since I don't have a console.

I understand people without a Wii want to play it, but this was developed by SEGA fully with Wii and DS in mind. Same as games developed with 360 or PS3 in mind, or even multi-console in mind. Just how they decided to make the game. Consoles have exclusives so that console sells. It's to generate interest since these games are on this console. Make it multi-platform and the interest to have that console for this game dampens.

Simple marketing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I only had a gamecube last generation and I don't have a PS3 or PSP. I have missed titles like most of the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games, Shadow of the Colossus, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, or many more. Those are console exclusives I have never had a chance to play I wish I did. I can't though, since I don't have a console.

I understand people without a Wii want to play it, but this was developed by SEGA fully with Wii and DS in mind. Same as games developed with 360 or PS3 in mind, or even multi-console in mind. Just how they decided to make the game. Consoles have exclusives so that console sells. It's to generate interest since these games are on this console. Make it multi-platform and the interest to have that console for this game dampens.

Simple marketing.

This! +1 for you. :)

Of course not everyone has both, nor does everyone share my view. But I still do see the whole thing as a big baww-fest. If this game was PS3-exclusive, arguably the most expensive and least-owned console this generation, I could see the outrage and I'd be raising a brow at Sega; I certainly am with Free Riders and that whole Kinect-exclusive business.

However, Colors on the Wii, the damned Wii for Christ sakes; Those things are supplied everywhere and cheap. Some of you have your PS3s and/or 360s with all of those expensive zippity-doo-dahs and online services, yet you're totally out of luck forever and ever and ever Amen when it comes to getting a Wii? Excuse the exaggeration and false equivalence of this analogy, but it's like asking for a new TV show to be put on Hulu because you don't have a TV. Just... get a cheap TV.

Even worse yet, some of the people complaining here have admitted to owning a Wii alongside an HD console already, but sold the Wii because it had a lacking library, and it is in this situation in which I particularly have no sympathy or care. I hold on to my consoles, even the ones I don't play much, like I hold on to my dog just to avoid this problem of needing to buy another one in case some developer decides for whatever reason to develop an exclusive game for it that I may want down the line. In this predicament, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

I don't want to risk sounding any bitchier than I already am; I really don't know everyone's situation and I can't judge. But really, whether or not the game can or should be exclusive is an argument that is making a mountain out of a molehill, especially when the negativity is guided directly to Sega who isn't obligated to make sure you don't sell your consoles; They develop for the console they want to for whatever reason they deem necessary, and you're either in or you're out. Ultimately, that's what it is to me. Personally, I either buy the console, at launch or after price cuts and wait for those juicy exclusives to come, or I just say fuck it. It's that simple.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Somehow, I think half of you are missing the entire point of this thread. Absolutely none of you have provided any reasoning whatsoever why there can't be a HD port in addition to the existing Wii version. On top of that, some of you actually have the gall to be right dickish about it as well.

Man, that's one I can't even pin on Sonic Fans. It's just console owners in general XD

• Thumbs Up 3

Why people seem to make everything a big deal around here is beyond me. The topic simply asked if it was a good idea to upscale Colors, and Console battle #9001 breaks out.

Honestly, what does marketing and the other stuff that was brought up have to do with "So guys, you think Colors in HD would be cool?"

• Thumbs Up 3

I am in the same boat, Nepenthe. I own both a Wii and a 360 and I don't get what the big deal is either. I see equal bitching from both sides, just I always hear the same excuses when a console gets an exclusive as if this is some terrible crime and it MUST be on their console of choice. If I may say...

*giant, blatantly fucking obvious statement*

As far as I know the original subject of this topic wasn't made in a whiny, bitchy manner? It was just asking if people would like to see it or not. But no. No no no, people just couldn't have it be that simple.

Suddenly out of nowhere there's protesting against it, saying that there's no reason for a port because 'the Wii needs its exclusives.' What a fucking load of shit. I'm so tired of seeing and hearing it.

As if there's some sort of inherent issue with a game being available to more people. It's fucking retarded! Really, this is what people are protesting? Do you have any idea how idiotic and childish that sounds?

If this game was PS3-exclusive, arguably the most expensive and least-owned console this generation, I could see the outrage and I'd be raising a brow at Sega; I certainly am with Free Riders and that whole Kinect-exclusive business.

However, Colors on the Wii, the damned Wii for Christ sakes; Those things are supplied everywhere and cheap. Some of you have your PS3s and/or 360s with all of those expensive zippity-doo-dahs and online services, yet you're totally out of luck forever and ever and ever Amen when it comes to getting a Wii? Excuse the exaggeration and false equivalence of this analogy, but it's like asking for a new TV show to be put on Hulu because you don't have a TV. Just... get a cheap TV.

I can't help but be a little surprised that you jumped to this sort of argument. Suddenly the entire situation changes depending on what console the game is exclusive to? Not gonna lie, that sounds like a load of shit coming from my perspective.

I don't know about you guys, but when it comes to most console generations, I'm stuck with one; count 'em, one console for that entire generation. It means shit all if the PS3 is more expensive. Since I got a PS3 first (back when they were $600, mind you) that's the console I'm stuck with until it dies. Fortunately, I have easy access to a Nintendo Wii with my brother having purchased one for my nephew but in the end the fact is clear. I don't have a Nintendo Wii and chances are I'm not getting one until the damn thing is dead and buried by its successor. It's as simple as that.

As much as you'd like to deny it there are cases like the one you just described. And honestly, I'm a little insulted that you'd try and make some sort of vague point that PS3 and 360 owners are spoiled little rich kids who would have no real problem buying a Nintendo Wii. All the money that I could save up to buy a Wii goes to games I want to buy for the console I have, for crying out loud! Don't give me that shit!

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here you could say. Of course it can be done, that is obvious. There would be no reason why a Wii game can't be ported to a 360 or PS3. However, just because it could doesn't mean it should is what we're saying.

They stated that the reason they made Colors is since Sonic Team realized there were no main title Sonic games for the Wii. This game was made BECAUSE Mario & Sonic was so popular and they realized that there were no main entry Sonic games available on the Wii to that market, so this game was born.

I can understand why Wii Owners would be happy to actually be receiving a main entry Sonic game since this is the first one for the Wii instead of being shafted with spin-offs or more honestly lesser versions of a main entry game. Having a game focused on Wii has appeal in that way.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 2

So out of curiosity, is anybody else here wishing there was an HD version of this?

Again, this is just a hypothetical "What if" type topic, not a "This should totally happen guise" type thing.

It's all good and well that Wii owners are getting their Sonic exclusive, but that's not really the point of this topic.

It's moments like this why I love this fanbase, we're so entertaining.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here you could say. Of course it can be done, that is obvious. There would be no reason why a Wii game can't be ported to a 360 or PS3. However, just because it could doesn't mean it should is what we're saying.

Don't make me love you.

Edited by Ferno

I have made two statements which people seem to have ignored in responding to me, those being that:

a.) I am not adversed to which system(s) the game could be on, and to elaborate on that I really have no problem with people wanting this on other consoles because I don't see why such a wish should be offensive.

b.) In the post you directly quoted Chooch, I said that I do not know every situation and thus cannot actually judge anyways.

I know there are plenty of exceptions for people, especially in the case of people who can only get or afford console for whatever reason. However, those were not the people I was even addressing in the first place-- I specifically focused on people who can obviously have and afford two consoles at the same time-- and I hoped my saying that I cannot judge would have absolved me from being subjected to silly implications that I think every person on the planet with a PS3 is some corporate mogul or something with Scrooge McDuck money vaults being built in Sienna. I realize I came across as bitchy and even said as such, and I sincerely apologize for offending you or anybody else, but at the same time, I wish you had come to known to whom I was addressing before screaming at me. Jesus fucking Christ.

Eh, just screw it. I've obviously made a mess of things and pissed some people off, so I might as well skip out of here before I run the topic into the ground any further. Again, my sincerest apologies. Carry on, gents. xP

Edited by Nepenthe

I saw your first post in this thread, Nepenthe. I understand that you don't particularly care what system it is on, but you also must keep in mind that no one is expressing any moral outrage that the game won't be in PS360. They are just asking why it shouldn't be, which was the original assertion that started this whole mess.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here you could say.

You're really not. There is a difference between "We demand this game be on the PS360" and "There is no reason this game shouldn't be allowed on the PS360." No one has said the former (the closest anyone came to doing so is Gnasher when he discussed the sales data, and he later specified his point as being the latter anyways), so your "shut up and live with it" argument is basically irrelevant because it is arguing against something no one ever said. We've been asking why not make a port. We haven't been saying we are entitled to a port.

This was a topic about whether people would think Sonic Colours would be a nice thing to have on the HD consoles as well, so a wider audience can enjoy what looks to be the best Sonic game in 10 years. And 5 posts into the topic, people starting jumping on the OP and started shouting stuff along the lines of how the Wii losing an exclusive to the PS360 is something which cannot be permitted to happen. Only then did the current discussion about the game being a Wii exclusive start.

Edited by Tornado

So give a reason.

This game was made for the Wii to market to the Mario & Sonic younger players, the game was aimed towards a younger audiences on the Wii and more family-oriented image the Wii provides to let young players transition from being introduced to Sonic from Mario & Sonic and have a main entry title in the series for them to move on too. The reason it shouldn't be on other consoles is because this was designed for Wii consoles one way or another. The game's good reception may be tampered if ported to the 360 or PS3. The audiences in general may not be too kind to it for being aimed at kids and at that for graphics not up to par with the consoles standards. The cost of development may not be more suited to port to other consoles where it may not fare as well. Sonic has sold best on Nintendo consoles so the cost to port a game that could be viewed to be for the wrong audiences for that console or to be under the graphical standard for that console would lead to poorer sales meaning they might think a port is not worth the effort and funds. To add to this SEGA and Nintendo have a good relationship. It could be helped by bringing a good exclusive to the Wii which means more profit for Nintendo which means bonds stay strong. The likely answer is it's profitable, audience is right, market is there, and Sonic sells best on Nintendo platforms as it is.

This kind of response was going to be natural in this discussion though since console wars and such and everyone loves exclusives and games they like on their console of choice. Some people don't have the console needed to play, which I mean no offense too since that position is never a fun one.

Point is, this I know is not the topic you guys want to be discussing so I will drop it too. A HD version would not bother me at all, just thinking of marketing and such the reliability on such a thing, I'm throwing facts into a theoretical question which is never good I understand. Sorry if I upset anyone.

• Thumbs Up 3