Awoo.

Sonic Colours HD

DistantJ

I wouldn't have wanted it on another console, and this comes from someone who owns a wii and xbox360. Tbh, I think sonic colors looks so good, that it doesn't nescesarily have to look better. My hdtv doesn't show all the pixelated stuff people seem to mention, I mean good quality games like mario galaxy or metroid other m look beautiful even for wii games for me.

Sonic colors also seems to look good enough, as in pretty beautiful.

Edited by Jaouad

I saw your first post in this thread, Nepenthe. I understand that you don't particularly care what system it is on, but you also must keep in mind that no one is expressing any moral outrage that the game won't be in PS360. They are just asking why it shouldn't be, which was the original assertion that started this whole mess.

Well, at least someone read my whole posts; I appreciate that, Tornado. Although I admit I must have conflated some degree of moral outrage upon reading Gnasher's original post, although I certainly didn't mean to put that across either. How ironic-- Maybe I can't read either...or write. :P

But again as I said, I have no real stake in this topic beyond my hide now and have only really helped in fanning the fires, so I'll let everyone else have this one.

This game was made for the Wii to market to the Mario & Sonic younger players, the game was aimed towards a younger audiences on the Wii and more family-oriented image the Wii provides to let young players transition from being introduced to Sonic from Mario & Sonic and have a main entry title in the series for them to move on too. The reason it shouldn't be on other consoles is because this was designed for Wii consoles one way or another. The game's good reception may be tampered if ported to the 360 or PS3. The audiences in general may not be too kind to it for being aimed at kids and at that for graphics not up to par with the consoles standards. The cost of development may not be more suited to port to other consoles where it may not fare as well. Sonic has sold best on Nintendo consoles so the cost to port a game that could be viewed to be for the wrong audiences for that console or to be under the graphical standard for that console would lead to poorer sales meaning they might think a port is not worth the effort and funds. To add to this SEGA and Nintendo have a good relationship. It could be helped by bringing a good exclusive to the Wii which means more profit for Nintendo which means bonds stay strong. The likely answer is it's profitable, audience is right, market is there, and Sonic sells best on Nintendo platforms as it is.

All of that goes towards discussing how the game wouldn't be as much of a critical/financial success on the PS360 as it would on the Wii. That is obvious. Less PS360 owners would be interested in this game than Wii owners. Fact. This game wouldn't look as good simply rendered in HD as many purpose-built PS360 games do. That is also fact. I take no issue with such statements, because they are true. Nathan basically said the same thing in the second post of this thread, and other than some incorrect information that I responded to I took no issue with it when he said it.

However, what the above does not do is explain the assertion that PS360 owners shouldn't be allowed to play it with their systems. Look at post 5 of this thread, the one that started this whole mess (and was parroted by several people):

Nah, the HD twins get tons of great 3rd party games that Nintendo doesn't. I think it's nice when the (extremely) rare 3rd party gem appears on the Wii. It's understandable to want an awesome looking game on your system of choice (the same thing happened with Epic Mickey) but I think the Wii really needs some decent 3rd party exclusive titles.

That doesn't sound like what you said. That sounds like "Its a Wii exclusive, and I don't want PS360 owners to be able to play it because then it wouldn't be a Wii exclusive any more." I specifically took issue with that sentiment. My first post in this thread was specifically criticizing that sentiment. And it seems to me that Aquaslash, Chooch and Ferno also specifically have a problem with that sentiment. If this is coming off as elitist, I apologize, but I need it to be understood that I hate that sentiment ("This great game is great and it is even better because they can't play it!"), and that was the only thing I was arguing against in this thread.

Edited by Tornado

However, what the above does not do is explain the assertion that PS360 owners shouldn't be allowed to play it with their systems. Look at post 5 of this thread, the one that started this whole mess (and was parroted by several people):

That doesn't sound like what you said. That sounds like "Its a Wii exclusive, and I don't want PS360 owners to be able to play it because then it wouldn't be a Wii exclusive any more." I specifically took issue with that sentiment. My first post in this thread was specifically criticizing that sentiment. And it seems to me that Aquaslash, Chooch and Ferno also specifically have a problem with that sentiment. If this is coming off as elitist, I apologize, but I need it to be understood that I hate that sentiment ("This great game is great and it is even better because they can't play it!"), and that was the only thing I was arguing against in this thread.

I don't come from that standpoint really. "I don't want them to have this since they shouldn't be allowed too," is silly. More accurately I am thinking more geared towards marketing decisions on why it's not though if SEGA decided it should happen I wouldn't be against it. To my knowledge they don't have any contract with Nintendo to release exclusives outside of the Mario & Sonic being Nintendo exclusive obviously. There is no reason for them to not have it, I am guessing Speed's being a bit selfish about it since quite a few main entry Sonic games haven't hit Wii.

Why Console Wars can be a nasty place, they are expensive and exclusives and such can make these more personal affairs. But off to the shadows I go for this topic, what I will say if there was a Sonic Colors HD it would only sit well with Wii Owners if it was exactly the same as the Wii version except maybe with nicer graphics. Console exclusive content would be a bit of a downer though broadening the same experience to different audiences is just fine.

Now to the shadows I go!

comics-batman-shadow.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the reason they are releasing Colors at all is to hold the non-HD console owners until Sonic 4 or the 20th Anniversary game is released. If that's not the case, it doesn't really matter if the game can be ported to another game system or not. If it is ever released multi-platform, just get the one that you would play on the most.

Drama? In my Sonic Colors subforum? Are we turning this into a console war? God damn it, we've been over shit like this time and time again, and it just never gets old for you guys, does it.

Shut the fuck up and get the fucking fuck back on topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind an HD version, but would it be possible?

I remember reading somewhere about how the hedgehog stages in Unleashed took up a lot of space because of all the detail and that jazz.

I'm under the assumption that because Wii graphics aren't as demanding, it takes up less space.

It's probably just a stupid assumption, though.

I wouldn't mind an HD version, but would it be possible?

I remember reading somewhere about how the hedgehog stages in Unleashed took up a lot of space because of all the detail and that jazz.

I'm under the assumption that because Wii graphics aren't as demanding, it takes up less space.

It's probably just a stupid assumption, though.

Actually, considering that PS3 games have so much more disk space, it wouldn't be a problem there. And I don't see why it would be on the 360 either. Game developers actually have a trade secret they don't want you to know (Okay, so not really, but it's an interesting tidbit): They severely compress game data using professional compression tools that do not make the quality of the game suffer after compression, so the actual game data on the disc is almost never the maximum storage space allowed on the disc. They fill the rest of the disc with filler data that's blank and pointless. At least that's what I've heard, but if I'm wrong, then oh well, it's still not an issue of space.

Edited by Shade Vortex

360 developers usually have to compress their stuff, It's PS3 games that are padded. It makes them load faster if the files are closer to the outside of the disk. Not many games use the full capacity of their disks, especially not games that are also coming out on the 360. 360 games, even those that are smaller, don't need this because Xbox games spin the disk in the other direction, the game starts on the outside.

Just a verbatim port would probably not look very good by 360 standards, there are a lot of really low poly background elements. The only real benefit would be an expanded audience, actually taking advantage of the hardware would take a lot of work, making higher resolution background elements, normal maps for everything, and they would probably also need higher resolution textures. I feel like Sega doesn't want to make that big a deal out of Sonic Colors, though I'll need to see what they have planned for next year to know if that's true and why. They could have started out making an HD game with a mind to put it on the Wii, something that wasn't really an option with Unleashed due to its massive draw distances (and yet they still couldn't show you hazards until you were right on them...).

I own all three consoles. I use Wii most and PS3 least(For gaming. I watch movies on it all the time). To answer the question of the topic, it depends. A real HD version like Unleashed, yeah. But just an upscaled version of this? No way. Why should I pay more money just to get it upscaled?

Also, it feels kinda nice to be buying a main series Sonic game on a Nintendo console for the first time since Shadow again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I realize that by making this post, I am basically throwing my beliefs out there to be analyzed, picked apart, misunderstood & ridiculed by many here. Still, here is my two cents on the subject.

Do I want a Sonic Colors HD? As simple as a question that is to answer with a "yes", "no", or "don't care", I feel as though I have to point something important out before I answer this.

First and foremost: I would like to state for the record that I am, always have, and always will be a Nintendo Gamer. I have owned EVERY generation console from Nintendo, handhelds included (bar a few "paint job" models), was raised on Mario, Donkey Kong & Kirby, and with the exception of a hand-me-down PlayStation from my older half-bro & a hand-me-down PS2 from my brother-in-law, I will probably never own any console NOT made by them (either by choice or lack of funding).

But that is not to say that I don't like the other consoles. My brother-in-law owns a PS3 (which is NOT the reason he gave me the PS2, JSYK), and he lets me play it every now & again when I go there to either visit or watch the kids. The visuals tend to just blow me out of the water every single time (even on my bro's older TV), and the games that I play on it are incredibly fun, especially Little Big Planet (my favorite game on the PS3)!

In other words: While I prefer the Nintendo side of things, as long I have fun playing a game, then regardless of console I will be happy. Also, I will rarely ever turn my nose up at ANY game unless I have good reasons to (save for FPS games, which I (quite frankly) just plain hate in general).

Now back on the subject at hand: Sonic Colors HD.

Am I exited for Sonic Colors Wii & DS? Yes for both versions.

Will I play both versions? Yes (thank you GameFly).

Will I ever own either one of them? It is safe to assume that I will purchase the Wii version, but we'll see when it comes to the DS.

Am I happy that it's a Wii & DS exclusive? I don't really care, to be honest. A game is a game, regardless of how pretty or ugly it looks.

Does the prospect of a HD version of the game for either the PS3 or 360 intrigue me? Yes, and I would not mind in the least if that is what SEGA wishes to do somewhere down the road.

Do I think the game deserves an HD port? I don't care, really.

Would I play the HD port? Probably. As I only have access to my Brother-in-law's PS3, I would only ever have rare chances to play it. I'd probably be better off sticking to the Wii version.

Would I prefer the HD versions to the Wii version? No. Quite frankly: it'd be the same game either way unless SEGA decided to add new acts to existing worlds, or to throw in exclusive new worlds like they did with Unleashed PS360.

In short: should SEGA decide to make an HD version of the game for you PS3 & 360 owners, then hey; more power to ya! No love loss here! But I'm not gonna be bummed if they don't; plain & simple

I've got a keen eye when it comes to screen resolution... but that doesn't look any different from the SD version I'm playing on my 20 year old TV... which looks no different from it on my HD TV minus the fact that the HD TV has wide screen.

Rubbish. There's a clear difference. Galaxy on an HDTV is hidden behind a haze of pixels and fuzz. It sucks. It's like playing a PS3 game through frosted glass.

780p, on an emulator:

2hgr4g5.jpg

2drg907.jpg

480p, the Wii's native display:

super-mario-galaxy-20070308014607584.jpg

super_mario_galaxy_03.jpg

Now with the 480p ones, when you can see the pixel edges like that in an 800px wide image, imagine it on a large flat screen TV.

This is the first Sonic game that looks like it was actually built to a standard of quality since 2004 (arguably 2001), and people seriously don't want it to show up on the other two systems just so they can have a bigger e-penis in regards to what system they bought?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Why is the best Sonic game ever (apparently) being denied to nearly two thirds of Sonic fans, and being stuck on the visually terrible system for those of us who have the choice? I mean I'd happily take "I don't personally care about HD, so I'm fine with playing this on the Wii" as a response, but these "It should stay on the Wii because we deserve to have good exclusives" thing is silly... I mean whenever an HD game finally gets a Wii port and it's a good one, like when COD4 showed up, I'm always really happy that people who only have the Wii can get to play it. I'm also always thinking how it's a shame that others don't get to enjoy my beloved Ratchet & Clank series, or to get creative in LittleBigPlanet. We're all gamers who share a hobby in common, it should be about the games, not about what you can add to your arsenal. It just seems selfish when people look at it any other way.

I guess there has to be at least something wrong with every Sonic game. In this one it's the choice of console.

Don't get me wrong, I love (or loved) the Wii, I just hate the huge step backwards in visuals every time I finish a PS3 game and start on one on the Wii, it's like going from Blu-Ray movies to VHS, because some chumps never decided to give some film a disc-format release. I can also tell you that most people who own both an HD console and a Wii who aren't particularly into Zelda or Mario or whatever will usually tell you that they can't imagine keeping their Nintendo too much longer with these new motion controllers showing up on the HD systems. I do think this is a terrible time to be announcing a Wii exclusive.

It's not a BIG problem, I never really said it was, but it does seem a bit of a pity. If this was something SEGA could be convinced of with a few letters it'd be a really nice result I think, a more futureproof version of this great-looking game, and people from all 3 camps can see how 3D Sonic doesn't have to suck. As for the "this was developed with the Wii in mind" argument - the only way it takes advantage of the Wii is in the fact that it can be produced on a shoestring budget and not look behind the times graphically. The only motion control involved is a shake in place of a button press. If this was just any random game I wouldn't have suggested this topic, but this is the rebirth of 3D Sonic into goodness again.

And finally, all you people who think this is a flamewar aught to get a dictionary and look up "discussion", it all seems pretty civilised to me. And there's no 'bawwing', we're just saying how we'd prefer a game etc. It's not the end of the world if we don't get it that way, just that a lot of us would be a lot more enthusiastic and excited for this game if it wasn't exclusive to a console which is, in our eyes, severely limited.

At the end of the day, this is finally the game being made for all of us based on our wishes over the years of Sonic games not being quite what we wanted, returning to the greatness of a game series which is the very reason this labour of love website was created and we're here together. Surely we should all be able to experience it, share it and discuss it, whichever game system we decided to pick (or in some cases our parents got for us)?

So, who's up for writing a letter to SEGA signed by all of us wanting an HD port?

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Not trying to start anything but did you ever consider the fact that part of the reason the game is this good is because Sega don't have to spend time and money developing engines/graphics/etc on par with, or at least expected for a HD console?

One of the reasons why the Wii gets so many crappy cash-in games is because its a lot easier and cheaper to develop for. I imagine that developing and creating the Hedgehog Engine as well as putting together all those 3D stages in Unleashed took a lot of time and money, and the results of their labours were hardly satisfactory with the cheaper, rushed Wii version often out-selling and getting higher reviews then the main game they actually put all the effort into, from what I gather at least; didn't IGN give the HD one like a 4 and the Wii version a 7? I know that they aren't the best judges but they are one of the well known and therefore one which Sega might go by.

You see I don't think that Sega are depriving any of you on purpose. I think that it must be ironic for them that a game they are designing as a mere stop-gap test and as a major way to appeal more to children is close to being the perfect Sonic game many of us want. With our broken fanbase, it's no wonder that Sega are confused over what we REALLY want and while they want all their fans to enjoy this game they aren't designing it specifically for us and for adults who own the more expensive consoles.

You might think that a HD filter, up-scaling or whatever would be enough but trust me when I say that it WOULDN'T. Why? Because it would be a cheap way to port the game and would most likely cause Sega to receive major backlash for choosing a cheap way to convert the game to HD. Also did you ever think that maybe they couldn't just covert to HD due to engine difficulties? Maybe the engine they are designing this on is best optimised for the Wii and just wouldn't work on a HD console. That's why they designed the Hedgehog Engine for Unleashed along with using things like Havoc because they need an engine designed to work on those systems. If Sega wanted to make a HD version they would most likely have to rebuild parts of the engine and graphics from the ground up in HD, which would cost time and money which could be better spent on finishing this game and developing their next one.

The game is for everyone but it's being made specifically to be friendly to children, children who are more likely to own a Wii. The Wii is cheaper to develop for, so Sega can test ideas, make some money to put forward into future games.

I'm not an expert on these things but that would be my guess.

Does that make sense?

I also want to add one last thing: I've seen a lot of Wii-hate thrown up in this thread, mostly just because it's once again getting some exclusive game that most of us want. I have lived through people on the whole internet jeering and making nasty comments, explaining away why any decent game we get shouldn't be on our console and should always be on "better" consoles, and then moaning about how the Wii has crappy games when we don't get anything good.

I try not to blindly bash of moan about the other consoles just because they aren't what I want in a game system. The most I will ever say is that they just don't have the games I want in order to warrant purchasing them, I would never say "its 'cause their crappy" because that plainly isn't true. But just because I can't see the reason why I should own a HD console DOESN'T make you owning one mean any less, just like me choosing to and being happy to own a Wii doesn't mean any less. I see games and/or better versions of games made for HD consoles and made better for whatever reason, so I do miss out on some things. I don't, however, sit here and moan about what they don't give me but I DO wish they'd put more effort into the Wii versions.

I just want good games.

It just seems to me that the internet thrives on making Wii owners out to being odd and foolish stepchildren of the console world because we "bought the wrong console" (I've heard someone say that), but when get something good suddenly we get the hate for our console HAVING something good when the other ones maybe don't; it's an unfair catch 22 and it annoys me to no end.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I actually did mention that several times throughout the topic. Please, read this full post before commenting.

For example in my latest post:

As for the "this was developed with the Wii in mind" argument - the only way it takes advantage of the Wii is in the fact that it can be produced on a shoestring budget and not look behind the times graphically

And I then compared the game to Crash of the Titans, Mini Ninjas, OutRun Online Arcade, All-Stars Tennis, Aragorn's Quest, where graphics can be made with a last-gen system in mind but still look really really nice in high resolution, nice enough to be released on the system without getting too much of a "omg the graphics are bad" response due to the choice of art style.

You talk like converting to HD is this uber-difficult process. All you do is port the game to the system like you would any other and it's HD by default - 3D graphics on an HD console just render in a higher resolution, there's no filtering, upscaling or rebuilding required. It's no different to changing the resolution from the options menu of a PC game. All they'd need to actually do is re-render the HUD graphics in higher res.

There's no "Wii hate", just opinions. This is a bundle of cables and chip-boards, not a human being or a race. I don't think it's feelings can be hurt.

I get the feeling you've not been reading the thread properly, or you're getting so defensive over the game/console that you can't seem to see that most of us are being pretty civilised and just stating our views on HD and the current state of the Wii's hardware. If the Wii did HD it would be the only console I had. It has all the best games to my tastes. Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime and now Sonic Colours, and 3rd party stuff is hot like Speed Racer, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(my favourite game), Need For Speed Nitro, House of the Dead, The Conduit(hugely underrated game, in my opinion it's great to have a traditional FPS in which you don't spend the whole time behind cover).

Me asking for an HD port of Sonic is no different to me asking for a movie I love on Blu-Ray. It's because I like HD and it really adds a lot to the experience for me. Also add the fact that the first truly awesome looking 3D Sonic is only being granted to a 3rd of the fans and I think that sucks. There's no maliciousness against consoles here. If I forget all the people here who don't have a Wii, the only reason I don't want this Wii exclusive is the same as why I wouldn't want it PS2 exclusive. It'd be stuck on a console which is, in my eyes, now behind the times, as much as it has pioneered and needs to be respected for that, it's now dated with it's low resolution. When you're used to Blu-Ray and PS3 games, those pixels are painfully obvious, think what it's going to be like in 3 years' time!

I'm going to say it again.

At the end of the day, this is finally the game being made for all of us based on our wishes over the years of Sonic games not being quite what we wanted, returning to the greatness of a game series which is the very reason this labour of love website was created and we're here together. Surely we should all be able to experience it, share it and discuss it, whichever game system we decided to pick (or in some cases our parents got for us)?

I'm happy to play it on the Wii, at the end of the day, I keep that thing to play Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda because those games are amazing, I just would like it in HD, the same way I would like a lot of my favourite movies to come out on Blu-Ray. There's nothing malicious in here, dude.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I actually did mention that several times throughout the topic. Please, read this full post before commenting.

I did and I apologise if I'm retreading the same ground but I just wanted to be clear.

And I then compared the game to Crash of the Titans, Mini Ninjas, OutRun Online Arcade, All-Stars Tennis, Aragorn's Quest, where graphics can be made with a last-gen system in mind but still look really really nice in high resolution, nice enough to be released on the system without getting too much of a "omg the graphics are bad" response due to the choice of art style.

Perhaps because this game wasn't designed to be friendly to being upscaled, it was designed with the Wii in mind and the Wii only.

You talk like converting to HD is this uber-difficult process. All you do is port the game to the system like you would any other and it's HD by default - 3D graphics on an HD console just render in a higher resolution, there's no filtering, upscaling or rebuilding required. It's no different to changing the resolution from the options menu of a PC game. All they'd need to actually do is re-render the HUD graphics in higher res.

I honestly don't truly know what creating games in HD entails but I do know that it must be much more expensive and time-consuming than in SD. A simple HD filter on a game specifically designed for SD seems like a bad idea from Sega's point of view as they probably don't want potential backlash; you and others might be happy with a filter, critics and others may not.

There's no "Wii hate", just opinions. This is a bundle of cables and chip-boards, not a human being or a race. I don't think it's feelings can be hurt.

Don't be silly; I don't claim that something artificial such as the Wii itself can have feelings but if you check this thread alone, there is what verges on hatred and resentment for the Wii and it's owners for getting this game exclusively. This resentment and general dislike for the Wii extends out into the rest of the internet and, as I've said before, the Wii and it's owners get hit with the catch 22 I mentioned previously.

I get the feeling you've not been reading the thread properly, or you're getting so defensive over the game/console that you can't seem to see that most of us are being pretty civilised and just stating our views on HD and the current state of the Wii's hardware.

The thread nearly verged on an argument a few pages back. People are generally civilised but there is obvious resentment for the Wii as I mentioned previously.

If the Wii did HD it would be the only console I had. It has all the best games to my tastes. Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime and now Sonic Colours, and 3rd party stuff is hot like Speed Racer, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(my favourite game), Need For Speed Nitro, House of the Dead, The Conduit(hugely underrated game, in my opinion it's great to have a traditional FPS in which you don't spend the whole time behind cover).

There is really little point in me stating my views on HD as it'll probably clash with your own anyway, but I will say that I feel that nowadays games have reached such a level that it's hard to make terrible looking game unless you really don't try; HD or not. I'm much more concerned with the games content over it's resolution.

Also add the fact that the first truly awesome looking 3D Sonic is only being granted to a 3rd of the fans and I think that sucks.

And all the proper development of Unleashed was only put towards 2/3rds of the fans with us Wii owners being left out and I thought that that sucked.

There's no maliciousness against consoles here.

See people will claim there isn't, and perhaps while not "malicious" there is a lot of hatred and/or resentment on here and on the internet at large going back to the catch 22 I keep mentioning. Even if it's light or mostly subconscious, it's still there.

If I forget all the people here who don't have a Wii, the only reason I don't want this Wii exclusive is the same as why I wouldn't want it PS2 exclusive. It'd be stuck on a console which is, in my eyes, now behind the times, as much as it has pioneered and needs to be respected for that, it's now dated with it's low resolution. When you're used to Blu-Ray and PS3 games, those pixels are painfully obvious, think what it's going to be like in 3 years' time!

Yet people buy the Wii. People still buy DVD's even though Blu-Ray exists. People still own old video cassettes. People still purchase vinyl. People still play games from the 90's, young kids who were born in the age of HD STILL enjoy older games that are outdated and "past their time".

And when the time comes, Nintendo will probably release a HD console, but it won't be because they NEED to or because they HAVE to, they will because they want to and the components are cheap enough and mainstream enough for it to work for them.

Your speaking only as a hardcore fan who craves and desires what YOU want. The general public and casual fans are what help drive sales and they are usually more than happy to settle for "less" because they enjoy it and they don't care about what they may merely perceive as a sharper image. As much as clever marketing of HD does, at their core people just want stuff that looks nice and is enjoyable to play; that's why the Wii was so successful.

But Sega could not have accounted for this. They took what they learned from Unleashed and basically made it better; they could not have realised that by making a game full of what most people enjoyed and making it simple and kid-friendly that they would hit our desires for a perfect Sonic game. They didn't do it out of spite, but because they wanted a cheaper and easier way to test their ideas and put it on the console where it sells best.

I'm happy to play it on the Wii, at the end of the day, I keep that thing to play Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda because those games are amazing, I just would like it in HD, the same way I would like a lot of my favourite movies to come out on Blu-Ray. There's nothing malicious in here, dude.

Not malicious, but I've been on the internet long enough to have experienced this Wii hate first hand and I do get quite sick of it. I can see it simmering in peoples posts as if it's still there, even if they aren't nasty about it I can feel it.

I am truly sorry that you feel that this game won't be as complete being exclusively on Wii.

I am sorry that this upsets you and you wish it were otherwise.

I am also sorry that I do not share your same adoration of HD and wish that every game were designed for it specifically.

I'm sorry that I feel that this game doesn't need HD to be great or to fulfil its true potential.

And finally I am sorry that I will very likely enjoy the hell out of this game and not even be caring about the fact that it's in HD or not when I play it.

But I have said enough and so I shall leave this topic be now; I don't want to upset anyone further with my uncomfortable words. I honestly mean no harm.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Perhaps because this game wasn't designed to be friendly to being upscaled, it was designed with the Wii in mind and the Wii only.

NOT UPSCALED. Rendered in HD.

A simple HD filter on a game specifically designed for SD seems like a bad idea from Sega's point of view as they probably don't want potential backlash; you and others might be happy with a filter, critics and others may not.

NOT A FILTER. Rendered in HD.

Don't be silly; I don't claim that something artificial such as the Wii itself can have feelings but if you check this thread alone, there is what verges on hatred and resentment for the Wii and it's owners for getting this game exclusively. This resentment and general dislike for the Wii extends out into the rest of the internet and, as I've said before, the Wii and it's owners get hit with the catch 22 I mentioned previously.

"I wish I could play awesome game as well" is not the same thing as "I hate the Wii because is the only system getting the game." No one has said the latter that I've been able to see. Several people have outright stated the former. Any resentment you've been seeing has been targeted at the Wii owners themselves. And a very specific subset of Wii owners at that.

The thread nearly verged on an argument a few pages back. People are generally civilised but there is obvious resentment for the Wii as I mentioned previously.

It verged on an argument because of some misunderstandings that were made in regards to the meaning of some of the posts. Not because of resentment for the Wii.

And all the proper development of Unleashed was only put towards 2/3rds of the fans with us Wii owners being left out and I thought that that sucked.

Which would be a valid argument if:

• You hadn't gotten the game at all.

Or:

• The version you did get was viewed as universally inferior.

Except neither of those are true.

But Sega could not have accounted for this. They took what they learned from Unleashed and basically made it better; they could not have realised that by making a game full of what most people enjoyed and making it simple and kid-friendly that they would hit our desires for a perfect Sonic game.

I'm having a hard time believing that Sega taking Sonic Unleashed and removing "the bits that everyone hated" and adding more of "the bits that everyone liked" would somehow make Sega think that reception wouldn't be positive. That's perhaps an argument for another thread though.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah yeah, rendering in HD is all well and good.

It just means there is improved Anti-Aliasing and less jagged pixelly edges.

It won't change the fact that the models, especially in the distance, would be REALLY low-poly, and it won't change the fact that the textures are low-res.

Sure it would look just as good as the Wii version, but with a higher resolutions, however, if you want it to looks good, by HD standards, then the poly-count on almost ALL of the objects would have to be improved, and almost all of the textures would have to be changed to high-res ones. Also a decent lighting engine would have to be used.

So yes, it would be quite a difficult task, if you want it to look as good as Unleashed (that game looked incredible, every single object was high-poly and high-res)

Not saying I don't want it, I'd love it if they did all of that just for a port, it would really make my day.

Plus, with the PS3/360 controller having more face buttons and two sets of triggers, I think the controls would have better mapping.

It won't change the fact that the models, especially in the distance, would be REALLY low-poly

That simply requires an LOD adjustment.

and it won't change the fact that the textures are low-res.

Doesn't seem to be a problem based on the reference screens Distant J posted.

So yes, it would be quite a difficult task, if you want it to look as good as Unleashed (that game looked incredible, every single object was high-poly and high-res)

It has been explicitly said multiple times that what is being discussed isn't making this game look like Unleashed HD.

As an aside, whatever baby went through the last few posts with the I Agree/I Disagree Button can kindly go ban yourself. That isn't what the reputation system is for, believe it or not.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah people seem to have neglected to read my posts about other Wii up-ports which haven't changed anything aside from upping the resolution (again, there is no anti aliasing involved, HD JUST renders more pixels, therefore creates an image which is crisper and in which you can see more details).

Let me make this more clear. Play any PC game. Go to the options and set it to run at 640x480 with no anti-aliasing and have a play around. That's how a Wii game is on an HDTV. Now set it to 1280x800 or higher. That's how a PS3/360 game is on an HDTV. See the instant difference? It looks great.

I'm going to emphasize once again to not let this topic descend into drama. People referencing the argument from a couple of pages ago again and again by saying "it was due to hate for the Wii" and "no it was due to misunderstandings" and "no u" doesn't get us anywhere. Just calm the hell down and let it go, and try to remain civilized or something.

As an aside, whatever baby went through the last few posts with the I Agree/I Disagree Button can kindly go ban yourself. That isn't what the reputation system is for, believe it or not.

The reputation system isn't exactly the most balanced thing in the world. It's best if you don't get so worked up over it.

For example, as I was making this post, I noticed how Xavious's posts had +1 rep, while yours didn't. But now I see that yours are the ones with the rep, and his aren't. It's just how it works.

Thanks Sean... I thought it was a good idea for a discussion and it seems to be a discussion for the most part but a couple of people seem to be taking an opinion as an insult for some reason...

Anyway Xavious has announced his leaving the topic as the HD doesn't interest him, which seems fine, perhaps we can go back on topic? Who here thinks an HD port of Sonic Colours would be worthwhile?

Thanks Sean... I thought it was a good idea for a discussion and it seems to be a discussion for the most part but a couple of people seem to be taking an opinion as an insult for some reason...

Anyway Xavious has announced his leaving the topic as the HD doesn't interest him, which seems fine, perhaps we can go back on topic? Who here thinks an HD port of Sonic Colours would be worthwhile?

I was just lurking until the flames stopped

Well, an HD port would be nice? Even though I will have the Wii version and all but an HD version would be nice, but im guessing the port might come after the result in the sales. If the sales are good, then Sega might consider making an HD version (possibly that is) but if the sales end up like nothing special to wright home about then Sega will begin with phase 3...Make the next game (Or take the whole weekend off :P ). But again, I wouldn't mind it on the two HD bros, if it ends up on the HD market then I might consider buying for the PS3.

Screw you guys. I want a CD-I port plox. *shot*

Is it possible to port it? That's an easy one. Yes it is. The game doesn't need to use motion controls so both the PS3 and 360 would be covered. There is nothing insurmountable preventing it.

Is it feasible to port? That's up to Sega. I don't see them giving anyone a budget to do the porting. It's already been stated that they want to cash in on the people who became fans or recognize Sonic through the Olympic games. Unless it was Sega's plan from the beginning to do a port, I don't think they would go for it now.

Do I want a port? Eh. Not really. It would be nice to have more options for everyone, but honestly I would prefer if they allot their resources into making the next "big" game. Take what they learned from this one (which seems to be shaping up very well) and create something for the heavier consoles from the ground up. They built the Hedgehog graphics engine for a reason!

I would most certainly embrace a Colours HD. It would be fantastic.

Whether they will or not is questionable.

I will say this though; most [not all] gamers on the HD consoles would scoff at a game with the name of "Sonic Colours".

Not because of the gameplay, or the graphics, they'd scoff at it, primarily because of its name.