Awoo.

What is the point of the game archive section?

agoodusername

On the Sonic Stadium there is a little link to a section called 'Game Archives'. This section lists all the games and for the most part, that's it. I was wondering why 90% (maybe even more) of the games in this section have absolutely no information other than the release date.

For example, Sonic Adventure 2: Release year and platform.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 MegaDrive: Release date, platforms, Screenshots, boxart, credits, music, videos, zones, scans...

I was just curious as to whether we'll end up seeing every game receiving the Sonic 2 treatment sometime. I love the idea, that you're showing for this part of the site, but really, it's kind of useless since only a few games have more than just their platform and release year. I would love for the games archive section to end up being something like Sonic-Cult, and I would also find it awesome if every news article on this site related to those games are listed in the games archive. (but maybe that last one is a little unrealistic due to the massive amount of work it would take...)

I know how hard it is to run a site (considering I've done it before myself) but considering how this is the largest Sonic fansite in the world (I pretty much consider it an official website since it's way more useful than SEGA's sites) I would imagine that this part of the site would be more useful than it actually is. I'm just curious if I'll ever see the " gameplay info, levels, reviews and all sorts of other groovy jazz" on my favorite Sonic games.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• agoodusername

• Dreadknux

• LATER BUDDY

• Tornado

Top Posters In This Topic

This goes back more years than I should be willing to admit, but there used to be a similar amount of info for all of the games in the archive. Fan reviews, "official" reviews by Dread, magazine scans, cheat codes, the works; and for every game, at that. There was also information about the various comics and TV shows and etc.

Now, I recall that something happened in the middle of 2006 that caused the non-game stuff to be wiped, but I'm pretty sure that the game stuff was restored. Because of that, I think the current lack of game archive info is due to the server explosion in the beginning of last year.

I think the current lack of game archive info is due to the server explosion in the beginning of last year.

That could be an explanation. That's why I always save my written work in word so if something ever happened to the thing online then I could just re-upload it.

Yeah, I believe we used to have a ton of information for almost all the games way back when as well. But yeah, things crash and wipe, and Dread's a busy head honcho. Filling in information is prolly something he picks up in his rare spare time if he remembers it. My best guesses though. I'm sure some other admins and such could do it too, but I'm pretty sure it'd have to run by Dread at the end of the day anyways.

-Blur

Long time ago, TSS had a pretty populated game archive section. That was before the wipe (and... the other wipe), and since that time I've had no chance to fill in that information again. I reckon a few sleepless nights are in order, eh? ;) In the meantime, I'm changing the setup a little bit - long-time visitors may remember that the profile page of a game would act like a 'hub' to other areas of information (Gameplay, Zones, Screenshots etc).

Instead, I'm changing it so the profile page is the info page for everything (which might end up resulting in very long pages... but we'll see) about said game, while links to media like screenshots and scans are readily available. You can see the start of the format change in the new Sonic Colours info page - of course, when I find time to add more details to it. But you get the drift I'm going with here.

Although I do have records of some of the old data, a lot of it was lost or made redundant (due to the whole 'me writing it ten years ago' thing, making me cringe a little bit) so I had intentions of starting over to a degree. I guess this topic will give me the kick up the bum I need, eh? Tonight, I'll be blasting through some old classics I reckon.

Late reply is late, but better than never.

Thanks for the info Dreadknux! I guess that answers my question so perhaps a lock on the topic would be necessary now?