Awoo.

Obama's gift to Gordon Brown: 25 DVDs.

Patticus

Link

Gordon Brown presents Obama with a pen holder made from the timbers of a Victorian anti slave ship called the Gannet. Obama gives Brown 25 DVDs.

The Prime Minister went to the trouble of hunting down the perfect gift after becoming the first European leader invited to the White House by the new Commander In Chief. So it would be perfectly understandable if Mr Brown felt a little underwhelmed at the official gift he received in return.

article-1159627-03BBBDB5000005DC-443_468x466.jpg

You utter c**t...

Do I sense a slight cooling in Anglo-American relations? Hmm? :lol:

You've gotta feel sorry for Brown though, he gets the coveted first European meeting with the new leader of the US and it doesn't get so much as a mention in the US press after his big speech, he gets 25 DVDs from Obama after hunting down a very rare gift for him and when he gets home he's staring at a regular series of embarrassments and humiliations on the domestic front before the inevitable Tory landslide victory at the next elections.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patticus

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• Gabz Girl

• Sega DogTagz

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, lots of people have had that embarrassing situation where they give someone something far less expensive or valuable than what the other person gives them. It can be sort of awkward, but you never really know who's giving what in the end.

That said, I'd probably take DVDs over a pen holder, historical significance aside.

Edit: I misread the story as Brown giving him the ship itself. Fixed.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Then it's a good thing Brown got him a pen holder made from the timbers of a Victorian anti slave ship!

Edit: Gah, you wanker. :lol:

Hey if they were directors/special editions... thats a lot of movie!

Oh gosh! XD I hope all 25 of those DVD's were not crap movies. That would be sad.

EDIT: Ahh...films. Riiiight. ;D

Edited by Gabz Girl

They had better be damn good movies. I'd be pretty pleased with that, myself though. The only slight thing that would worry me is that they'd most likely be region encoded, then I'd be entirely pissed off and I'd take my pen holder back and get on the next flight back home! >:(

Obama's plan to fix the economy

#1 - Invite prominent World Leaders to the White House

#2 - Collect rare and expensive gifts from them

#3 - Pass the World Leaders a cheap trinket that you could totally buy on the subway for 5 bucks

#4 - Hawk the treasure and reap the benefits

Our Economy is saved!!! (At the expense of peeving some people off)

Sheer Brilliance.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

lol I'd rather have movies than a pen holder.

These are world leaders, they're supposed to seek out rare and expensive gifts from their country for one another, it's what they do.

Movies in the box-set produced for the White House by the American Film Institute:

1. Citizen Kane

2. The Godfather

3. Casablanca

4. Raging Bull

5. Singing In The Rain

6. Gone With The Wind

7. Lawrence Of Arabia

8. Schindler's List

9. Vertigo

10. The Wizard Of Oz

11. City Lights

12. The Searchers

13. Star Wars: Episode IV

14. Psycho

15. 2001: A Space Odyssey

16. Sunset Boulevard

17. The Graduate

18. The General

19. On The waterfront

20. It's A Wonderful Life

21. China Town

22. Some Like It Hot

23. The Grapes Of Wrath

24. ET: The Extra Terrestrial

25. To Kill A Mocking Bird.

If it's American classics then why is Lawrence of Arabia in there? That one's entirely British. For some reason the AFI still has it on their list, they used to have The Third Man on it as well, but they removed that a couple of years ago after realising it wasn't American. It might take a little while before they get their grubby hands off our Lawrence...

I bet Brown has already got some of these DVDs. =P

DVD movies are better than a pen holder. You can easily lose a pen holder if you are careless. DX

10. The Wizard Of Oz

Obama: You came to see the almighty Wizard Mr.Brown but your wish shall not be granted, instead you get these 25 DVD's.

Brown: Region 1? But I live in Region 2.

Obama: Well, where was I going to get Region 2 DVD's?

Brown: >_<

Anyway, I would rather get DVD's than some rare item that would just sit on my shelf not doing anything.

These are world leaders, they're supposed to seek out rare and expensive gifts from their country for one another, it's what they do.

Oh I realise that lol

It's probably not really Obama's fault though, he'll probably have advisors who'll have sorted it out for him and he'll have just given it to Brown, just guessing.

Now I really want to know what those 25 DVD's are Gordon Brown got. Oscar winner movies? Musical movies? ..Disney movies? =P

And yush, even though a pen holder made from timbers of a ship is cool, it's certainly not something I would use alot, unlike a DVD.

Scroll up, Gabz, they're listed. All 'American classics'. Well, mostly O.o

Oooooh! That's the real list? Hmm, I see...thankies.

ET is an American classic? Then Jurassic Park is too. >o>

Edited by Gabz Girl

What is the most sensible gift though? =O

I don't know about sensibility, but the best gift I can think of was the Statue of Liberty

Now that was a good gift. What did we give France in return, a Thank You? Has anyone been able to top a gift of a global icon yet?

I wonder if Brown will ever watch some of these movies.... o.O

But if Obama gives Brown the Statue of Liberty, where can he put it? XD

Edited by Spicylicious

This is just beyond awesome. I can not believe Obama did this. I was laughing hysterically when I saw this.

For the record, I would have taken the pen holder. I'm a history geek.

~Fullmetalsonic84

That photo is just begging to be captioned! But anyway. it would be so embarrassing if those DVDs were Region 1 encoded. Not a bad selection of movies nonetheless though.

Surely Gordon Brown can afford a multi-region DVD player? ... but yeah, it would be a bit of a dunce move to give a Brit a bunch of R1 encoded DVDs XD Hopefully that wasn't the case.

Anyone can afford a multi-region DVD player. It's just illegal and hard to find. =P