Awoo.

From scratch.

Diogenes

So let's imagine a scenario. For whatever reason, Sega decides to reboot the Sonic series, and make a clean break from its past (both classic and modern). And, for some unfathomable reason, Sega has chosen Random Sonic Fan #367102 (that's you) to "rebuild" the series. You have total creative control, as long as you stick to the most basic structure of the series ("Sonic fights Eggman", for a start) and are otherwise creating largely new ideas and not just repeating elements of previous games. What do you do?

Basically what I'm asking for are your new ideas, unrestrained by the existing series. There should be no "do it like (previous Sonic game)!" here (or at least, not as the bulk of your post). And it can be anything from gameplay to story to style to characterization to whatever. Let your imagination run wild; don't be restrained by what Sonic "can't" do.

So to kick things off with some of my own ideas:

1. Humans share the same style as the Sonic characters. Humans should exist in the series (our main antagonist is a human, after all); the only real problem with them is that they've often looked so alien to the rest of the series. I've been carrying this picture around for a while to illustrate just this point. Just think, had Elise looked more like that, would we have the wide outcry of "bestiality" at '06's Last Story? Or would it have been seen as nothing more than a cartoon princess kissing a cartoon hedgehog? And not every human has to follow that same body type; characters like Big and Bark can be inspiration for larger characters, and Cream for young children, and of course other body types can be invented along the same lines as existing ones. Overall the goal is to unify the character design and try to stop the idea that humans are somehow "outsiders" that don't belong.

2. For gameplay, I've had an idea of expanding on Sonic's ability to curl into a ball. Rather than rolling being something you do, curling into a ball is like a different "mode"; imagine it like Sonic got the Morph Ball from the Metroid series, but with his unique rolling physics intact. Mastering the gameplay would involve knowing when to switch between the more agile and controllable running mode and the attack- and momentum-oriented ball mode. I haven't decided if you should automatically spin while jumping (to keep with tradition) or if you have to curl up with a separate button press (to keep consistency with the new mechanics). If the latter, I'd probably let you jump on enemies in normal platforming style if you're uncurled...

3. Another gameplay idea, which might work well along with the previous (or maybe it could be given to a different character entirely); Badnik Riding. Instead of simply smashing a robot, hop on its back and take control, using it to charge through the level and blast other 'bots. Each badnik would have its own unique abilities and stats (and we would be using actual creative badniks, not just Egg Pawn sort of filler 'bots...though they could come too), some required for certain routes, others simply useful or just for fun. I can imagine something like a beefed-up Motobug being used like a motorcycle, with little or no offensive power but a high top speed (great for shooting around loops and doing time trials, not so much for taking out enemies), or hopping on a Buzzbomber to fly around and shoot at enemies and obstacles. I think this one would work best in 3D, with more open environments; give the player room to play around and experiment.

1.) I actually think Humans should be in the style of Sonic Adventure 1. I don't like the Pixar look, I like the Anime look a LOT better.

2.) I don't think the ball thing would work. It just wouldn't make very much sense - not that his staying in place makes much sense - and it would probably be frustrating at times.

3.) As much as I hate to say it, why would he need to ride badniks? I can understand him driving a car or riding a hoverboard. Those are part of the game since it's a racing game. Sonic R taught me one thing and that's that Sonic on foot + Racing game = bad idea.

But since he doesn't even have to touch them anymore (which pisses me off) since he can boost through them... you wouldn't need to ride them. Besides, that would probably also be very frustrating. Riding vehicles sucks in Sonic games as it is. I adore Sonic 06 and can admit that. I would rather have badniks be like they used to. You can't boost through them.

My things I'd do are the two I've mentioned -anime humans and badniks that you actually have to stop to kill- I'd also clarify that Sonic's world and the human world aren't two different places. I would make all the games take place on the SAME DAMN PLANET. I would also do the series a favor and make one series 2D and the other 3D. The mixture of 2D and 3D is just really irritating to look at. That's my biggest complaint with the direction the series is going now. I'd also bring back the sense of exploration from the previous games, not this run forward and jump crap that we've been getting now. That's my biggest issue with the series right now. The stages seem way too small compared to Sonic. It feels like he's a giant now. In the Wii version of Unleashed you couldn't even make a complete circle, and I really hope Colors isn't the same way! The story wouldn't be too kiddy or too adulty. I'd make the stories kind of like the Adventure games again. And the soundtrack? Sonic needs to be rock music. The fresh blend of rock while still having the synth in there was just awesome.

Edited by Edge
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Although I'm not entirely sure about the Morph Ball-Sonic idea, I definately, definately think Sonic should have more emphasis on rolling up into a ball. Hell, the initial idea of Sonic was a blue superspeed hedgehog that could destroy things by rolling up into a ball. The initial Sonic games, and to an extent, Sonic Adventure, stayed sort of true to this. From then on, Sonic's "ball form" became almost exclusive to his jumping animation, with all of the rolling physics and stuff becoming Super Monkey Ball-fare instead.

That kind of stuff should definately come back. Pinball tables, pachinko things, the Twinkle Park Bowling games, other ball based things, and all of the tunnels that would require you to be in ball form. Oh and moreover, the stupid goddamn hedgehog shouldn't SLOW DOWN when he rolls down a hill, as he does in the Rush games and apparently Sonic 4. Sort that out.

So yeah. More ball Sonic. More level gimmicks based on his ball form. Maybe even a few ball-Sonic only areas ala Monkey Ball. It's all good with me.

2.) I don't think the ball thing would work. It just wouldn't make very much sense - not that his staying in place makes much sense - and it would probably be frustrating at times.
I can see how it might be frustrating, at least in adjusting to it, but why wouldn't it make sense? You press a button, now you're a ball, you press it again, now you're not.

3.) As much as I hate to say it, why would he need to ride badniks?
...because it's fun?

But since he doesn't even have to touch them anymore (which pisses me off) since he can boost through them... you wouldn't need to ride them.
I'm not proposing a game that combines this with boosting.

Besides, that would probably also be very frustrating. Riding vehicles sucks in Sonic games as it is. I adore Sonic 06 and can admit that.
That's a matter of crappy design and programming, I think, not that "Sonic+vehicles" is inevitably bad.

I've been carrying this picture around for a while to illustrate just this point. Just think, had Elise looked more like that, would we have the wide outcry of "bestiality" at '06's Last Story? Or would it have been seen as nothing more than a cartoon princess kissing a cartoon hedgehog?

Not to pick on this one piece Dio, but I severely doubt that changing Elise's look around would have quelled people from throwing around the B word. If people were willing to make the jump from a kiss to fornication, than I cant imagine a cartoon-y appearance from being too much of a leap to make.

Secondly.... ewww

As for the topic at hand, I would probably have to re imagine Sonic's status as a platformer. I would probably leave behind the basic concept, popularized by past Sonic games or the Mario franchise and instead move into channeling all the Blue Blurs athletic ability into a more acrobatic style. I would give Sonic more freedom to wall run, spin on poles and use his agility as much as his speed. Free-running elements would surly come into play, and I think the blinding speed that Sonic travels at would bring something special to the table. I see slower games, like Assassins Creed 2 or Prince of Persia and I feel that there is something missing. The slower pace leads to an almost automated feel. I believe that with Sonic's speed, you would be thinking less about where you want to go, and more about staying alive and doing it with style.

On the subject of Style, I would defiantly have to include that. The little tricks Sonic does after each homing attack would only be the beginning. IMO, Speed is only half the equation. Looking good is almost as important to Sonic as his feet are. I would design a system where Sonic can incorporate his flashy mannerisms into his attacks and moves. At the appropriate additional risk, you could be awarded style points for dodging at the last second, or using a bots attack against him. Missile in your face? Surf that bad boy back to sender. Bots got you surrounded? Taunt then bail and watch the firing squad go to work on each other. Action and adrenaline have long been a part of Sonic's character. No better way to bring back Sonic the Hedgehog's cool factor than to stick him in a couple of user controlled epic moments.

and a taunt button...... O GODS A TAUNT BUTTON.

Last but not least, I wouldn't neglect Sonic's buddies. I would probably keep the cast at a decent size, relegating unwanted characters to the background lest I need them in the future. Playability would be warranted by each game. If I can stick Tails in there without having his flight (or genius) break the game, than you bet he's there. If your in the SOL dimension, than no doubt Blaze will grace you with her presence. Each character would bring something else to the table, which may be a bit harder to balance, but I think it can be done if you switch around their stage objectives a bit (such as giving Knuckles a Kill Quota and a shorter course).

Eh, probably not the most popular idea. But if I had to divert, I would go with the high octane action route.

Explosions..... LOTS of Explosions

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Round worlds. Not like Sonic Xtreme or Mario Galaxy. Like full open globes you can wrap around. That's one level.

I'm restoring vertical space to Sonic. You can climb high and fall far. There are lots of speed gimmicks, and lots of running up and along walls, especially shooting off ramps into the air. The place is like a skate park from a skating game, very curvy and interactive, but you're Sonic so it's more awesome. I'd like to add a few free running moves to Sonic.

The whole place needs to feel like Sonic's playground. Wall kicking, double jumping, and version of the splash jump from Secret Rings to make platforming better. For combat I'd like to adjust the homing attack by making it chargable and only accessible in free fall. For the ground you'd use the spin dash with a targeting system like an auto-version of Z-targeting from Zelda 64. This way the homing and spin dash would operate similarly. The camera would stay behind Sonic and adjust to the move you're using, like a zoom back during high speeds and targeting for a view of the field, or down-up top-down views for free fall and wall jumping. Targeting more than one enemy creates a ricochet attack.

Instead of the old run right and forward, the game would be mission based. Characters in the world would prompt you before each act, like NPCs telling you where to rescue animals, and events would trigger to change the world as you moved along. Weather, roadblocks, explosions. For extra speed, you'd need to circle the world without stopping ala Sonic CD for special stages. And then bosses of course to end the level. Maybe 5-6 story specific missions per level, and that along with the environmental changes should keep the place fresh enough. There'd be hidden areas and optional missions and the game would be designed to be played from front to back, not level select style.

I'm gonna bounce a little off of DogTagz idea.

I'd give Sonic a parkour/freerunning style of gameplay. Wallrunning, climbing, taking full advantage of your environment. The classics always had an emphasis on the level working for you, not against you; using ramps to reach high up places, the many loops and corkscrews, the level itself was part of the fun. In media, Sonic has always been shown as being incredibly agile, nimbly flipping and spinning over obstacles. With the parkour element added, Sonic has full control over his environment, can go just about anywhere, and maneuver just like in animations.

This is an interesting question you pose, as I do not think that there is anyone out there who hasn't come up with their own idea of how this, or any, series should be like.

Well, let's talk story first. I think that the story should start off similar to that of the SatAM/Archie storyline with Eggman already having established his Empire....to an extent. I'd say he'd have control of about 1/3 of the world, with his influence & conquest spreading steadily each & every day to take more & more of the world. The world's governments that still resist live peacefully for the most part, but they know the threat that Eggman possesses & try their hardest to defend themselves from the Doctor's forces; establishing the Guardian Unit of Nations (G.U.N.) for this very purpose.

As far as Sonic & Eggman are concerned, personality wise, I'd throw a bit of a curve ball out there to our current perceptions of them. Eggman, for starters, isn't pure evil & didn't decide to conquer the world just because he felt like it. I see him as being more of a misunderstood visionary; having the genuine want to make the world a much better place, but his ideas being cast off as mere delusions or being twisted & used to create more weapons of mass destruction. Tired of the "greedy & corrupt sadists that are running the world into an early grave", he decides to wage war against the world; conquering it so that he can create his ideal utopia for the world. He wants a peaceful world, but the means to the end are not the most noble...

On top of that, I would give Eggman ACTUAL FOLLOWERS: both Human & Mobian (note: I use the term "Mobian" to reffer to Sonic-styled Anthros as a whole to make things easier for me. That doesn't necesarily mean that Mobius is the setting of my games) soldiers who believe in Eggman's vision of a better world for all, and are willing to fight alongside his Badniks to achieve it without realizing the pain & suffering that they cause as a result.

Now Sonic, on the other hand, wouldn't be portrayed as a world-renowned hero, or as a soldier fighting the good fight, or some vigilante beacon of hope. I'd envision him more as a victim of circumstance. He'd be more of a smooth, laid-back, peace-loving, goofball of a pacifist that would prefer to avoid conflict rather than get involved if he could help it. Granted, he's not afraid to defend those he cares for, such as his friends, but he's not one to make it his lifestyle. Even so, whether weaved by the hand of fate, or simply caused by his own ill-luck, he keeps getting sucked into the pointless battles that he never wanted to be a part of in the first place, eventually becoming the key factor that would decide the war.

I could go on with the characters & how they would factor in, but let's get into gameplay, shall we? As far as it goes, I'd probably have the game set as a sidescroller that falls somewhere on the line between the classics & Colors 2D gameplay, with it leaning slightly more towards the classics. The gameplay would be less focused on speed, & more around platforming & level exploration (though it would still be done at a pretty brisk pace). Sonic would have his spin dash, wall jump & stomp attacks from the begining, and the Boost, Double Jump, Air Dash & Homing Attack would be reassigned as either temporary power-ups, or as level-up items that Sonic could equip & remove at will. The Zones would be split up into several acts apiece, and each Act would have multiple routes that could be accessed, some of wich would lead to secret exits &, in effect, to secret acts (and a handful of those secret acts might not even be in the same zone as the one the initial level was in!). Think along the lines of NSMB's Red Flag exits, but replace the Flagpole with a Goal Post or Goal Ring.

Each Zone would also have it's own unique theme to it, such as the classic Green Hill or a military facility, and as such each zone would have a unique gimmick to it that would be prelevent throughout each level. For example: the Water-themed zone would have a small, one-man submarine that Sonic could use to explore & reach underwater areas that Sonic would not be able to reach on his own, but it wouldn't necessarily be required to complete the level. Another example would be factory levels that had special lifts that had a pedal that Sonic would have to repetedly jump on to raise, and would slowly fall when he stopped jumping.

The Chaos Emeralds would return as well. However, instead of being simple sources of energy that both the heroes & villains squabble over time after time, they are instead the representation of the very essence of the world itself given true form. They would represent the balance of power across the world, and the use of such power for ANY means, either good or evil, could end up causing disastrous results unless the one who holds them is predestined to harness their powers; hence their name.

Those are just a few of the ideas that I have, but I'd be here all night typing them all up if given the opportunity. So just lemme know what you all think!

Sonic can become a series of adventure genre games in the vein of The Legend of Zelda and Okami.

Dr. Robotnik's influences spread throughout the countryside. Sonic's job is to liberate the locales of his control. Dungeons are basically the game's levels, and they take the form of Robotnik's bases of operation, although they are a combination of puzzle-solving and platforming. Sonic pretty much only has his speed and spin attack at his disposal, as opposed to the number of weapons Link can utilize. Thus, he uses them for all of the puzzles he encounters in increasingly creative ways - however, I am not creative enough myself to come up with any! Bosses are frequent and don't necessarily indicate the end of an area, obviously.

A lot of this game's action will take place outside of these levels. Sonic has to fend off advances of badnik armies, win the hearts of citizens who support Robotnik's regime and are opposed to Sonic's vigilante schemes, and stuff like that. Sonic's got it made.

I'm hiring HAL to compose the music, no exceptions. Oh and Sonic doesn't talk and uses the classic design.

First, I would bring back the original cast, even if it's just for this game. The style of gameplay I'll be using as a basis would be taken from Sonic Adventure, both 1 and 2, instead of using Sonic Unleash engine. You'll have to accomplish certain goals with each character before you have access to the particular stage. The characters I would have playable in this game would be, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Shadow (though his part will be very short), Team Chaotix (as a whole), and Fang the Weasel. Each of their stories having the same basis just in a different manner. In addition, I would have specific items to be use by each character. Assisting them in certain where originally, you wouldn't have access to.

- Sonic -

His story starts off with him returning to Station Square, reminiscing about the good times, then begins to wonder how his two tails buddy is doing, and begins to head to his workshop. After greeting Tails, they then talk about how long it's been (about a year), leading Sonic to ask about Station Square and it's residence. Tails then informs Sonic that Dr.Eggman has not only turned himself in, but has joined G.U.N. federation as a scientist to atone for his actions. Annoyed about Eggman joining G.U.N. Sonic himself decided to check this out himself, with Tails yelling wait, which begins his story.

- Gameplay -

Like I said before most of the gameplay would be in an Adventure setting, walking around, solving puzzles, ect. However, since you can't fly or dig with Sonic his main focus would on solving puzzles within a certain amount of time. Example: For you to enter Windmills Stage(just a random stage name) you would have to find the artifact necessary to enter the stage. Upon finding the artifact, once you pick it up, you have a certain time limit to get the artifact to the design area or you fail.

- Tails -

His story begins with him working on an invention. A project that has been in the works since the incident that happen at the Colony Ark. Of course, the project is covered, so no one knows what it is yet. After spending another restless day with the project, Tails decides to go out for a walk. After taking a quiet walk to the edge of the cliff, he then looks up at the moon talking about how beautiful it is. Wishing to share this with someone else he starts thinking to himself how his project is near complete, and with it he'll be able to assist he friends, not just here, but around the world. Upon walking home he gets a glimpse of Robot coming out of his house. Pulling out a pair of Binoculars that he was carrying on him, he not only saw the robot, but also saw the Eggman symbol on it. He begins to ponder whether or not the robot took anything upon his house, instead of heading to his house, he decides to pursue the robot. Coming to the conclusion that if he doesn't stop the Robot, then something awful will happen. After pursuing it deep into the forest he begins to question the Robot on 'what did he take from his house.' While question the Robot, the Robot himself, scans Tails, then reveals who he is. Explaining his background and his model number. Once he finishes explaining himself, he then tells him his Project name 'SubZero', then before Tails could do anything he disappear, only leaving a chip behind. The next day Tails is in shop continuing his work on his latest project, then out of nowhere his doorbell is rung several times. Upon opening the door he hears a familiar voice, and before he can get a good look he hear, "Long time no see. How's everything going?" And so begins Tails story.

- Gameplay -

Like Sonic his Actions stages are going to be fast past, but that's not going to his only focus. At times he's also going to depend on the Tornado, when necessary, to break through steel containers, ect. Unlike Sonic, tails isn't going to have a Time limit when solving his puzzles, instead, your going to have fly around to find the necessary artifact to proceed.

- Knuckles -

His story begins with him sitting in front of master Emerald, once again, trying to remember his past. While putting the pieces together of the clues he's gather over his time, he then disembark to the mystic Ruins to see if he can find anything else about his past. Upon searching in the forest he spots a ancient Ruin, which we know as the lost World, and decides to look around for more clues. Upon entering the Ruins, spotted right behind him is shady figure, who Knuckles didn't notice, who whispers to himself that 'he finally found him.' While exploring the ruins a few shots are taking toward Knuckles. After dodging the shots Knuckles yells 'Show yourself!' A mysterious figure, after giving away his position, tells Knuckles to 'watch his back.' and disappears. Confused at what just happen Knuckles decides to head back to Angel Island. Upon returning he is confronted with Rouge, who tries to steal the master emerald. 'Put the Master emerald Back' Knuckles shouted. And in response she replies 'make me.' Which leads to a heated battle between you and Rouge. After the duel is finished, the Master emerald is then place back on it's shrine. Knuckles then begins to shout'What are doing on Angel Island?' Rouge in response tells him 'To calm down. That the real reason she's here is, not to take the Master emerald, but because she needs his assistance. Knuckle's then ask Rouge 'What does she need his help with?' And so begins Knuckles story.

- Gameplay -

Like SA 1 and 2, Knuckles main focus is going to be on Hunting. Not just in the Action stage, but on the field most of his problems, if not all of them, will be focus on digging for the necessary artifact to proceed with the story.

- Music -

The style of Music that I'm going to focus on is Jazz. Other genre of music is going to appear, but they wouldn't appear as much as Jazz. An example of the style of Music that I will be using can be heard from here and here. And because people actually like individual characters having theme Songs, I would bring back some of theme songs. Certain songs I would leave behind for specified reasons.

Wow, that's alot. I'll edit my post later with the main story, the rest of the characters intros, and the rest of the gameplay style.

I'l try to keep it simple.

Gameplay:

Main playable characters are Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles:

Sonic-

His gameplay revolves around how much Rings you collect, how many enemies you destroy, and how awesome you look doing it. Sonic is a daredevil, his gameplay should reflect it, with the most spectacular stuff you can do, running up waterfalls, anything that can be cool.

Tails-

Puzzle Platforming, with Tails we take a break from the speed(ITs said that he doesn't like to go that fast), Tails` levels would revolve around the use of his flight, and his/player's Intelligence. He also has a slingshot that can shoot various types of ammo: Bombs(Ala Tails` Adventure), Pyro Bombs, and Ice bombs, you use these weapons to open up the doors to progress through the stage, also there wil segments where you pilot either the Tornado, or the Sea Fox.

Knuckles-

This one will be easy. Make his gameplay similar to the Werehog. The Werehog already had the aggressive combo, and I can totally see Knuckles performing them. Just make the levels shorter, and have them cater to Knuckles` abilities(Digging, Scaling walls, etc.)

Story:

Seeing how this would be a reboot, none of the characters have met Sonic yet, so here we go.

One day in a little village called Knothole(I'm trying to make as many references for fanservice sake, but not SATAM will appear, sorry), its residence lived in peace with Vector as the village leader, and Knuckles, and Espio as its protectors. Because most of the children are orphans they're looked after cared for by Vanilla, with some help from Amy(The oldest girl in the village). Amy and Cream bond as sisters through their years together, and Charmy finds a father figure in Vector. Tails is also an orphan in the village, but unlike his peers, he has no one to bond with. So Tails finds time to work, and tinker on his gadgets, but some of the other kids find him nerdy, and tease him. One day, Eggman's robots raid the village,and try to take control of it, the village burns,and its protectors are helpless against the new enemy. Until a blue blur of wind appears almost from nowhere, this person's name was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic can become a series of adventure genre games in the vein of The Legend of Zelda and Okami.

Dr. Robotnik's influences spread throughout the countryside. Sonic's job is to liberate the locales of his control. Dungeons are basically the game's levels, and they take the form of Robotnik's bases of operation, although they are a combination of puzzle-solving and platforming. Sonic pretty much only has his speed and spin attack at his disposal, as opposed to the number of weapons Link can utilize. Thus, he uses them for all of the puzzles he encounters in increasingly creative ways - however, I am not creative enough myself to come up with any! Bosses are frequent and don't necessarily indicate the end of an area, obviously.

A lot of this game's action will take place outside of these levels. Sonic has to fend off advances of badnik armies, win the hearts of citizens who support Robotnik's regime and are opposed to Sonic's vigilante schemes, and stuff like that. Sonic's got it made.

I'm hiring HAL to compose the music, no exceptions. Oh and Sonic doesn't talk and uses the classic design.

1256970832800.jpg

:)