Awoo.

On Monday, I will be interviewing Yuji Naka

Dreadknux

Of course it's a big deal! I don't usually cross-post like this, but I figure the opportunity is way too cool.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/updates/2010/10/tss-10th-guess-who-were-interviewing-on-monday/

I'll be interviewing the guy twice - once for SPOnG.com, another for TSS. So I'll have some of my own questions, but if there's anything you want me to ask him, either post it here or on TSS' post (linked above) and I'll pick the best ones to ask him. :) Can't ask him everything unfortunately, so make them as good and interesting as possible!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we should stay away from "what do you think about...?" questions. They're not terribly important or informative... Also, we already know that Sonic is inspired by Mario.

I currently have nothing of interest to ask this dude, but good luck with your interviews man, I'll be checking them out.

I think we should stay away from "what do you think about...?" questions. They're not terribly important or informative... Also, we already know that Sonic is inspired by Mario.

its nice to hear what yuji naka thinks of sonic, other wise i don't know what would the fans ask...

many would like to know what yujinaka has to say about sonic unleashed and werehog and swords ideas. and also of sonic 4 and colors.

There's an interview floating around where Naka directly stated that he was a fan of the NES and liked Mario, and wanted to build a game based off of that. Looking.

EDIT: Found it on Retro. Whoo.

"No big deal"? Dread, I ought to slap the hell out of you for saying that. We're talking about one of the creators of Sonic the Hedgehog for crying out loud.

As for a question, I got one, but I don't know how good it might be. It's worth a shot.

My question is:

-Given the various directions this series has taken in the 3D games, from the gun totting Shadow the Hedgehog to the werehog lycanthrope in Sonic Unleashed, the swordplay in the Black Knight, and an intergalactic theme park in Sonic Colors, this series seems to have become quite malleable in where it can go. Was this diversity ever intended during your time at Sonic Team?

Take it for what it is, but that's something I would love to hear from Yuji Naka himself.

Ask him if he's bought any new Ferraris recently!

Seriously, though, good luck with the interview.

Edited by Tornado

Could you basically ask him if he thinks a hedgehog should handle like a race car, and if that was ever a goal of 3D Sonic games? He is a racing enthusiast, and one of the criticisms and praises of Sonic Unleashed is that it can feel like a racing game. Is that an alright question, after all he didn't work on the game.

I'd lead with "Who are you, and where are you going?"

Beyond that, I'm stumped.

Okay, seriously? "How difficult do you find it to update Sonic, a character of the 1990s, for the modern gaming market?" And as a follow-up, "Is there anywhere you absolutely will NOT take Sonic in an effort to modernise his appeal?"

Just in case you don't see it in the comments section, i'd like to ask if he was proud of Burning Rangers and could he see them returning in the future? Cheers Svend!

My question:

"Since you were the creator of Sonic's core gameplay in the classic titles, what is your opinion on Sonic 4's gameplay; and do you think that Sonic could've gone in a different direction if it remained with the physics-based gameplay in 3D?"

Good luck with the interviews, Svend. :D

Good luck, Dread. You'll be talking to the father of Sonic himself; I can't say I'm not jealous.

My question?

"Where do you see Sonic in (X amount of) years?"

Basic, I know, but I'm curious.

Hey DREAD wow you're gonna meet a legend hope all goes well, (dont forget to get an autograph for yourself will you :) )

My Question:-

'Did you ever intend to have so many characters for the franchise when you created the concept? which are your favourites, and which would like to see come back for more installments? for example the overall fan requests of MIGHTY THE ARMADILLO & FANG/NACK THE WEASEL.'

Reason I ask this is to get some actual confirmation or knowledge of the scrapped characters.

Why not see if you can get anything out of his upcoming titles at Prope? He's supposed to be announcing his new action game soon, maybe you could get a little on that? (With any luck, at least. :P )

Naka is not the father and creator of the Hedgehog. He was only a programmer in the first games. Sonic was created by Naoto Ōshima. I can’t understand all this pathos about his persona. If rats desert a sinking ship first, then Naka is the first who left a sinking franchise, when it needed his support. That's my opinion. You can hate it, but it is what it is.

• Bad Quality Post 2

My question:

"Do you have any regrets about leaving Sega (and Sonic)?"

Also, congrats on the interview, Dread. :)

Edited by gamerguy21

Kvitron: Thanks for telling us all what we already know. Biscuits are to your left.

It seems you don't understand what the core elements of Sonic really are, though. Oshina created the character. Naka created the game concept. Who is the creator of Sonic? Both of them, I say.

The fact you refer to Naka as a rat on a sinking ship is also ignorant of his actual hands-on role at Sonic Team before his departure (read: barely any). Can't blame the guy for wantin to actually program his games. I guess you can though.

• Thumbs Up 2

My question would be "what is your all-time favorite video game, either that you have played or helped create? "

For some unknown reason, the title of this topic makes me think of that "Tomorrow I'll..." Robotnik music video >_>;

I would like to know if the direction and development that the characters and stories have taken is in line with Naka's initial vision, or whether it's radically diverged. Or perhaps if he didn't really have any idea where he wanted Sonic to be right now, 20 years later.

Also whether he is surprised that Sonic has endured this long.

Ask him:

What did it feel like for you during the creation of Sonic Adventure? Was it a nice/difficult transition from the regular 2D/2.5D Sonic games that you made on the past systems?

I'd like to know how he felt about the asthetic changes to the franchise over the years and whether or not he was happy with more realistic scenarios taking favour over the surreal look of the classic games.

I'd also like to know how he felt about Shadow's own game and how he felt about introducing darker themes such as weapons and violence into the franchise.

UPDATE: The interview has been cancelled. Yuji Naka has had to leave for Japan early due to "unforeseen circumstances." There may still be an opportunity to ask some questions via alternative methods, so sit tight. We'd like to thank Premier PR and Rising Star Games for the opportunity up until the event's cancellation.