Awoo.

Sonic Fan Remix

Kiberbot

I changed the topic title and post. We don't need more flamewar probing. Also, I'm moving this to normal Sonic discussion.

By the way, any posts that go on about Sonic 4 and comparisons between the quality of fans' work and Sega's work are going to be deleted. I'm tired of this shit and we already had a topic on this (the Mushroom Hill one).

I still think this game is ugly. I'll give 'em credit for making a solid facsimile of the Genesis Sonic physics, but there's not much else that I like.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Hehe, sorry. ^^* I was just in a rush of impressions. In any case, my opinion is that this fan game is already better than STH4.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Oh, I saw screenshots and a short video of this before on another forum. Finally, we have a long video!

It somewhat bothers me they didn't implement the explosion sound for when you destroy Badniks. Also, now that I've seen a lot of how it looks in motion, it actually seems really weird at some points.. something just seems off about the way everything looks. I'd say the general style and look of everything graphically just doesn't seem good. It's too dark, too distracting and such- the focus should really be on Sonic. And it somehow doesn't seem to be fluid at a consistent rate, to me.

Edited by Shade Vortex

Well since my original post has mysteriously vanished....

Theres been so much empahsis on special effects and making it look pretty... also the random objects appearing in the foreground from both the bottom and the top... it makes it shockingly hard to follow whats going on. Watching it again at times Sonic seems to vanish in the background, especially when the player takes the bottom path.

I don't mod games nor do I have much interest in fan games activity, but isn't it normally and idea to be able to follow Sonic and see whats going on without too much trouble?

• Thumbs Up 3

Now that my hype-meter calmed down, I can see the problems and reasonings why I still for some reason think Sonic 4 looks slightly better.

You can't tell where Sonic is on the screen because everything's made with a blue hue (background-wise), which makes Sonic blend with everything. Also the pink takes away from it as well for some odd reason. Also, the incredibly loud sound effects are kind of ear-grating (although the lack of a "badnik bop" sound effect is a little offputting too).

I don't mod games nor do I have much interest in fan games activity, but isn't it normally and idea to be able to follow Sonic and see whats going on without too much trouble?
I'd say so. Unless there's some specific gimmick going on about obscuring the player's vision, the player should be able to spot his character instantly. Same goes for distinguishing enemies, obstacles, and items from everything else, and distinguishing solid ground from decorative elements and the background. And yeah, this is really bad at that; everything sort of blends together and there's so much shit everywhere.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could care less for the visual flair, although its pretty, yet hard to follow. The physics are the main draw. Look at that. How many speed boosters do you see? Look how fast Sonic ramps up to on his own. Look at the jump, the spindash, and the air control.

That's the kind of Sonic game I want. As long as they nail dem physics.

Edited by Tiller
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's pretty awesome. I do think it's a little bit too busy on screen. I think if the creator just removed some of the stuff in the foreground it would look much better. But this is absolutely fantastic for a fangame and I love the Giant Mech following Sonic in the background.

I say that modifying the background and foreground to be less of blue hues and more of bright greens, oranges and reds then it'd look much better and more balanced. Of course this is a Sonic game but jeez there's so much blue. :V

This is awesome. Just for the huge mech floating in the background. That's environment. If I were to subject this to Sonic 4 level criticism, I'd say it's crowded and the color on that grass needs to be brightened if we're gonna see Sonic. It'd also be way more impressive if it was an original game. But this is awesome.

Edit before deleted.

It look pretty cool to me.

I have not problem with anything in the video.

Edited by Gamer18

Okay... I think I said this before when the first screens of this project started to surface, but I will say it again.

Visually, this game is amasing, and can't see any problems as long as you are taking the upper path (seriously I don't get the complains about the background), but when you go to the bottom (and sometimes the middle) part of the level things get too crowded, to the point where you can hardly see where Sonic is going or what is surroinding you, and that could get frustrating in latter levels...

There are some poor aspects in the sound departmen too, but I doubt anything (sound related) in that video is going to be in a public build so I'm not going to talk about it.

The physiscs are really good, I have no complains in that aspect so far...

Other minor complaints would be the lack of coconuts and the fact that this is not only a remake, but a remake of one of my least liked games in the whole series =/ (At least it looks more original and prettier than Sonic 2 HD, I never liked the Sonic 2 visuals).

Having said that, I highly encourage the team behind this game to keep up their work, by far one of the best fangames I have ever seen (emphasis in "fangame", We should keep in mind that this is just an amateur work instead of a professional videogame team effort, what makes it even more impressive to my eyes). :D

That probably is the best new-style retro-remake fan-game I've seen yet, including the Sonic 3 CG remake. Why? Simply because Sonic looks like Sonic, and not some super-deformed animated bobble head of Sonic. Plus, the effects and events in the background and crisp art style really makes it stand out. The sound effects are screwy, sure, but it looks like everything's been nailed to a tee.

I really hope we see more, 'cause usually we just get one awesome video, find out it was a one-time thing, and that's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

(seriously I don't get the complains about the background)
You don't see how making the background ridiculously blue, when the character you're controlling is also blue, is A Bad Thing?
  • Thumbs Up 1

You don't see how making the background ridiculously blue, when the character you're controlling is also blue, is A Bad Thing?

Yes, but I can't find this background to be ridiculously blue... I can spot Sonic's position just as fine as I do in sonic 1 and 2.

Maybe I have a better sight than what I thought...

I know it'll be said to death (or at least it should be) but that trumps Sonic 4 so much!

The physics are spot on and Sonic running animation doesn't look retarded, and even though this is supposed to be a remake of Emerald Hill zone it looks so different in style that it ends up being more unique than Splash Hill zone anyway.

The detail is good too, explosions of the badniks when destroyed, LOVE the battle suit in the background....if I was the guy who'd made the game I wouldn't be labelling it as a Sonic 2 copy, I'd call it a whole new game, have the suit in the background play into some of the levels a bit by attacking Sonic now and then with attacks.

Sooooo would rather see something this detailed and nice then Sonic bore uh 4.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 6

This video made my eyes hurt. Everything's so fucking distracting and my eyes are going all over the place.

All these extra, unnecessary details combined with the extra blue sky that's unbelievably close to Sonic's own fur color make Sonic really hard to follow. No likey.

I also can't help but cringe as I imagine the processing power this shit takes. Pretty sure my computer would probably just fucking crash if I even attempted to play this game.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Looking forward to this more than some other game i'm not gonna call the name of.

Btw, just for clarification. This is not a sonic 2 remake, but a remix. You may notice how the act is slightly extended than it's original. Also the maker said there were going to be 3 acts instead of 2.

Well you know what? A better sonic 2 with visual upgrades doesn't sound that bad to me :). If this were to get sold i'd buy it day one. The other game not so much

Edited by Jaouad