Awoo.

Last Minute Continue (Sonic Wrecks)

HunterTSF

I'm not sure if Blaze was actually immune to fire in Rush (I mean gameplay-wise), but she sure was in Rush Adventure, and I really wish they'd made more use of it. Indeed, I guess they did in her Generations co-op mission, although I don't think "making flames go away" is the most engaging use of a fire-based power.

Huh?

Blaze's fire powers were extremely apparent in Rush. She may not have been shooting fireballs in gameplay, but she was still running around leaving trails of fire and hovering in mid air with the help of a small jet flame. Shoot, her spin dash is replaced with a beastly fire twirl. She had quite a bit more going for her than a bit of immunity.

All that really amounts to is presentation. Aside from the air dash, it's all of Sonic's moves, just with different animations.

So's protoBlaze being all fiery. If final Blaze can get away with fiery effects for all her moves and no explicitly can-only-be-done-with-fire abilities, I don't see why a constant fiery effect would be a problem.

No no no, get your ass back in here.

What is wrong with a fire-based character having various flame-infused abilities but not any explicitly fire-exclusive abilities?

When I'm playing with a fire based character, I expect to be, you know, setting things on fire. Or maybe shooting fireballs without needing to become a super saiyan, or having shortcuts made of walls of fire that only said character can pass through (why did it take til Generations for this to come into play?). There's a slagton of things that they could be doing with fire powers and all they opted for was some flashy animations and an immunity that didn't even come into play until the second game.

In my book, that's squandering potential like a mofo, and I'd hope that future playable appearances of Blaze (spinoffs notwithstanding) would do something to rectify that.

having shortcuts made of walls of fire that only said character can pass through (why did it take til Generations for this to come into play?).

Every character has wasted potential. And that Blaze isn't throwing around fireballs 24/7 doesn't make her connection to fire any less valid, nor would it have made the fiery protoBlaze a poor choice.

All I can say to that is different strokes for different folks. What we have now might pass for you, but it sure ain't passing for me. *shrugs*

For the record I am not in any way against expanding her fire abilities, and I would totally support a "throw fireball" move or the ability to set things on fire. But acting as if her fire powers don't count from a character perspective just because they aren't used the way you want in gameplay is BS.

• Thumbs Up 1

But acting as if her fire powers don't count from a character perspective just because they aren't used the way you want in gameplay is BS.

Yes. My original point was that since the character ended up with a very small usage of fire based abilities in the gameplay, the decrease in emphasis on fire in the design was probably a good idea.

Except all of her abilities are "fire based". She spins like a flaming top, she boosts with an aura of fire, she can hover on jets of flame. They may mostly be fiery equivalents of Sonic's "windy" abilities, and she may lack any abilities that are exclusively and inherently fire-based, but that doesn't change the fact that pretty much everything she does is derived from her pyrokinesis and she spends most of the time she's playable engulfed in flames. Having a persistent fiery mane would've been completely appropriate.

Apparently Sonic Team saw it fit to save that for Burning Blaze, who has persistently flaming cuffs, and actually has fire based abilities. Going to have to say I agree with that call, if they were set on totally squandering the fire aspect.

EDIT: I love how I think of things to add way after the fact! If the bitch was constantly on fire, you'd basically just be running around going "oh hey look at this bitch! She runs around and fire comes out, and she jumps into a fireball and SHE'S ON FIRE OH YEAH!!!!" and then it goes nowhere. Placing that much emphasis on fire demands that the fire be actually useful. Otherwise, what's the point? Why advertise a useless ability?

We're not even going to get into how the hell said effects even work in Water Palace

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...

Bumps.

As of 4 days ago Wrecks is 10 years old, and as such AAUK did something drastic, he closed his depository! all that research is gone to time...

...Or not. hes made a tumblr for Wrecks now:

http://sonicwrecks.tumblr.com/

Bunch of neat information I forgot AAUK collected is now posted and will continue to be posted, so you should follow it.

Btw, were mentioned and it sounds like he doesn't like us too much. :\

• 8 months later...

Yikes, apparently we lost a couple of pages as well as the explanation for the above which was all done and dusted with, Oh dear.  Could someone please rename this thread back to Last Minute Continue (Sonic Wrecks) or something again please. :)

UPDATE (1/2)

Recent-ish Stuff

That's what I notmally did in this thread right?  Ok, let's start with the the more recent videos.

Sonic Boom

Pre-Show Ep 15: "Off & Showrunning"

WITH SPECIAL GUEST: BILL FREIBERGER! (Executive Producer). The man in charge of Sonic Boom's TV adventures joins Kevin, Jamie and Tom. In an incredibly detailed episode Freiberger explains the process of creating an episode of Sonic Boom and talks writing for the Sonic Boom comic. That and Kevin asks the question you really want to know - HAS Sonic Boom been renewed for a second season?

Post-Show Ep 15: "The Boom Identity"

WITH SPECIAL GUEST: BILL FREIBERGER! (Executive Producer). In an hour long post-show executive producer Bill Freiberger answers the team's questions and talks in-depth on topics such as two-parter episodes, Shadow's inclusion, writing comics, his favourite episode and sounds off on haters of Knuckles' redesign.

Meanwhile the guys find out what Boom character they are according to SEGA's own social tool, answer a listener's question on who they would body swap with and since the idea of a musical episode became a joke amongst the Boom team, Kevin reveals his much better idea: silence. 

Wait, what?

Pre-Show Ep 16: "Ships That Pass In The Night"

Joined by special guest, YouTuber The Great Clement (+ClementJ642). Donnie is a pigeon and Jono is a pinball wizard but is Clement Santa The Claus? Plus one viewer asks if the team believe in the "Sonamy" pairing, leading to some surprising revelations about Tanner's schooling! 

Post-Show Ep 16: "My Darling Clement's Time"

The team are still joined by The Great Clement and discuss all manner of topics: WIN a Sonic Boom plush! What Boom character is Tanner and Clement? What 80's cartoon does the episode accidently allude to? That and the gang's gender is addressed in a slightly more serious ending.

Pre-Show Ep 17: "Badger Of Honour"

For the first time in several weeks, no guests! Kevin, Donnie, Tanner and Tom prepare for the latest Sonic Boom episode and discuss your comments and a number of other Sonic-based topics. Including: What would a version of the introduction sequence with Eggman as the hero look like? Strange Sonic 3 Remastered emails, a bizarre version of Oliver Twist seems to happen and is Tom worse than Tumblr?

UPDATE (1/2)

Sonic Boom (Continues)

Post-Show Ep 17: "The Hunger Games"

The guys discuss one of the best episodes so far, including a look at who wrote the episode, Kevin explains to Donnie and Tom what a 'Tanner' is in old British money has a joke and there is (unusually) 100% agreement at Kevin's complaint of a joke "that should have been included". That and the gang do a play-by-play on Tanner's mid-week reveal of a Hunger Games contest starring them and others. Who survives the games? And will Tanner survive the end of the show!?

Pre-Show Ep 18: "What A Sauce"

Kevin & Donnie are joined by Cat (DoubleXXCross) on this week's videos, tackling important pre-show topics such the biggest mistake with the Boom game, SEGA's mobile success (whether people want it or not) and how DOES Tails know Sonic has a lovely singing voice? They just hope its not like the Tails in that one Sonic Adventure Let's Play... please don't hurt us Mr. Freiberger!

Post-Show Ep 18: "Pride & Prejudicial Marketing"

After episode eighteen Donnie, Kevin and Cat sit back for post-show chat and take on three specific topics.
First: Their thoughts on the episode itself. Is Sticks now Silver? 
Second: They're asked what other episode ideas they have by a listener.
Thirdly: Why does it seem other countries always get more promotional merch? Kevin takes on the pressing question and explains the way marketing budgets work at SEGA.

Let's Plays

Let's Play Sonic Generations (With The Firestorm Gang)

Let's Play Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (With DoubleXXCross)

Let's Play Skyrim (With Biafara Republic)

"As Seen On TV" (Throwback Thursday)

LMC DLC

The successor to the Depository has a lot for you to be interested in since it now contains tonnes of Sonic and other games artwork. Recent additions listed below

OFFICIAL ART:  http://lastminutecontinue.com/official-art/

Splatoon, Professor Layton & The Lost/Unwound Future, Hyrule Warriors,Ace Of Spades, Hatoful Boyfriend, Sonic Runners, Digimon All-Star Rumble, Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow, Assassin' Creed: Freedom Cry, Entropy, Valiant Hearts, 1080° Avalanche, Jack Lumber, Thief (2014), The Banner Saga, Klonoa, Assassin's Creed Memories, Project X Zone

WALLPAPERS: http://lastminutecontinue.com/wallpaper/

The Sonic Channel page (yes we have that again) has been updated along with additions from Hatoful Boyfriend, SONIC The Hedgehog (2006), Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rivals, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Riders, Sonic N, Sonic Jam, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colours / Sonic Colors, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic Battle, Sonic & The Secret Rings, Sonic & The Black Knight, Sonic Adventure DX. Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Adventure, Shadow The Hedghehog, SEGA Mega Drive Collection, The Banner Saga, The Elder Scrolls Online

The Banner Saga, Thief (2014), Sonic Colours/Colours, Sonic Heroes and The Elder Scrolls Online

Articles & Reviews

Game reviews by T.A. Black

Elsewhere

I've written a couple of articles for the virtual reality news site VR Focus that might interest people, Under their 'Make It A (Virtual) Reality' column I've now written about Knightmare and Space Invaders. I R JOURNO. Or something. Still they're nice articles if you vaguely recall when I used to do SEGA/Sonic blogs daily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for coming back AAUK, Yeah we lost allot of topics and posts due to the 6-month wipe from the server crash.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its a sucky situation. Well done to Ian (Bmn), Svend (Dreadknux) and the team.

(If someone can re-alter the title again I'd be grateful!)

LET'S PLAY SONIC CHRONICLES

Pt 7: Pre-Flight Checks 
AAUK laments Knuckles and Cheese's lots in life before considering the possibilities of "Sonic Chronicles: The Musical". Tails gets all grumpy when called out on not using the Tornado so far whilst despite not yet being rescued yet Knuckles drunkenly heckles everyone.

SONIC BOOM COMMENTARIES

Ep 19 Pre-Show - "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Podcast" 
Matt from Tails Channel joins Donnie, Kevin, Tanner and Jamie on the Sonic Boom pre-show to discuss his favourite Boom moments so far. The team also discuss more concerns about the Canadian education system, "pulling a Jaleel", Tanner gets feedback, is Donnie the Spinball World Champion whilst Jamie is late and his dog also has an opinion on the show.

Ep 19 Post-Show - "A Change.Org Will Do You Good" 

Donnie, Kevin, Tanner, Jamie and special guest Matt from Tails Channel give their thoughts on Episode 19 with opinions a bit all over the place. Kevin is keen to find out more about the music and sound effects side of Boom and Jamie's dog interrupts some more After that the panel discuss a somewhat unrealistic Change.org petitions doing the rounds and it gets to the point they go off hunting for more ridiculous SEGA/Sonic demands - only to find the first Jerk Of The Week.

Ep 20 Pre-Show - "Something's Afoot"

Kevin and Donnie are joined by Cat, Tom and Tanner this week. It's less than 12 hours since The Sonic Show's YouNow community stream and everyone is still trying to get over it.  Especially the fanfic someone wrote that was read out. Meanwhile last week's feedback shows a worrying obsession with Sonic's feet.

Ep 20 Post-Show - "Boompocalypse Now-ish" 

The post-show discusses the team's extended thoughts on the episode, the good points and where the brevity of the show again causes an issue.  They also discuss at length "the world according to Sonic Boom", and celebrate the fact it doubled the amount of countries it recognises this week. Canada drops in, Angel Island style next week to join them. However Kevin soon points out the devastating consequences next week's addition would have to France. Don't worry though, Tanner has a plan to air-drop some poutine on the survivors.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I should have probably updated this at some point. Err... Did anyone see the Night of the Werehog storyboards we put up ages ago? No? Ah well...

If you fancy something classical with some familiar faces, LMC's @Turbo, @Max Firestorm, @Urtheart and Titans Creed (aka @Project Phoenix) took on each other in a race through Sonic 3D Blast!

Add onto that the Sonic Boom Commentaries featuring me. @DoubleXXCross and @SSF1991 are now no longer on The Sonic Show and are called the Uncutting Crew.

We even did a Christmas special for Sonic Christmas Blast.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah cool, I was wondering why your commentary segment wasn't apart of Sonic Show anymore but its cool you guys are still continuing it.

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

Ah cool, I was wondering why your commentary segment wasn't apart of Sonic Show anymore but its cool you guys are still continuing it.

I was keeping things posted for ol' Kevin here in SSMB about the Boom commentaries, just like now with the Nutwork commentary (they mentioned me as well!)

3 hours ago, Soni said:

I was keeping things posted for ol' Kevin here in SSMB about the Boom commentaries, just like now with the Nutwork commentary (they mentioned me as well!)

is it the boom TV topic? because I'm not keeping track of that too much until I caught up but thanks for keeping us updated.

• Thumbs Up 1