Awoo.

Who here does not like Kingdom Hearts?

Vulpine

If there is one franchise that I hate, it’s Kingdom Hearts. Ugh. That thing is over-appreciated and that the Kingdom Hearts fans and their favorite game's popularity are why people favor yaoi over straight couples (or they favor crossover crack over canon, which is wrong!), and that caused a ton of problems on the Internet. It looked like a game adaption of a horribly written crossover fanfiction turned canon. It also showed a bad side to the video game industry that I wish I could do without.

For those who don't know why: I hate the Kingdom Hearts series, for many reasons:

1. The whole Disney crossover thing. Video games and classic cartoons are two different things that come from two different eras and seeing them together makes my head want to explode. Kingdom Hearts was only made to please hardcore Disney geeks who are tired of originals like Mario or Sonic taking the video game crown (But Mario, Sonic and such originated as video game characters, people! Mickey and other Disney characters did not!). Basically, Disney is a greedy corporate hog, and Kingdom Hearts is another excuse for Disney marketing just to advertise their characters and make them more popular, which they always do when making merchandise (I would not be surprised if they made Winnie the Pooh toilet paper, which I doubt would sell the same way as Kingdom Hearts).

2. Kingdom Hearts is the new Lion King. Because not only I dislike both, but also because both are hyped to death (Always top of the charts), fans of both always criticize games or films that didn’t do as well in the box office or whatnot, fans of both talk down to anyone who does not share their opinion on both, even against those who are much older or mature then they are, and both are liked by the strange furries and overly-obsessed yaoi fangirls out there (There is more fanfics and art of Kingdom Hearts then there is of any video game franchise, much like there is more fanfics and art of The Lion King then there is of any (western) animated feature film). This is why I often ignore the fan sections of websites and just look at official stuff. Idiots ruin every single thing (And you thought the Sonic fandom was corrupted).

3. The original characters are lame: The females are so weak and the males were only made to please squealing yaoi fangirls. And contrary to popular belief, the original characters are Disney, believe it or not. If you don’t understand then why don’t you lurk more on the Internet? Disney owns the entire Kingdom Hearts IP: They own all of their film characters, and they own all of the original characters (This means that Sora, Riku, Kairi, Organization XIII, et cetera, are all property of Disney). Square-Enix only owns the Final Fantasy characters in the series. So stop saying that Sora and company are Square-Enix because they are not.

4. Disney and Square-Enix are different from one another and I don’t get why people think putting the two together makes sense. Perhaps either a Square-Enix/Namco-Bandai crossover or a Disney/Warner Bros. crossover would work better and therefore would make more sense then a Disney/Square-Enix one (Or Disney/any video game company) will ever will.

Garbage like Kingdom Hearts are the reason why the industry attracted a ton of corporate media giants (i.e. Disney) to the mix. It has been hard to extinguish video games from other entertainment because of that, and video games are different from movies and shows because of the fact that they’re still a recent technology and not as old or experienced.

If you dislike this overrated behemoth like I do, then tell me why.

P.S. I did not post this to start a flame war. If you happen to like that series that I dislike, then don't post here at all as there is probably already a Pro-Kingdom Hearts thread that you can go to. I don't want to get any more negative rep just because I posted an opinion. So if you don't like it, then press the back button and crawl back to your little cribs where you belong.

Edited by Vulpine
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've always been rather ambivalent to it, myself. I've always loved the atmosphere and style, but the game's actual story (and especially the dialogue) on the other hand...

Edited by Tornado

I have only had a chance to play Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on the Gameboy Advance at this time but it's a series I've wanted to try. I liked Chain of Memories but know more about the series since I know personally a few people who adore the series. It speaks volumes of the target audience and who it appeals too, the broadness of appeal, that lots of gamers enjoy it from both hardcore, softcore, male, and female gamers and while I personally feel like the storyline has become a bit convoluted with all the spin-offs I can still understand the charm of the titles and the appeal.

It may just not be aimed at you, as there are some elements I don't think some would appreciate and others some gamers may not like, but contrasting that, those same things others love.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

I have to disagree on you with the whole "Disney and Square shouldn't have been mixed" We've seen what happened when two game companies collab to make a RPG, they usually don't come to the U.S.

It was smart for the creators of KH to take something so popular in America (Disney, maybe even worldwide) and take something so popular in Japan (Square and Jrpg's) and mix them together. I personally like the series and having Square and Disney characters (two unlikely worlds) mixed together. They compliment each other quite nicely.

I will agree with this though, the whole approach of the male characters is there to please the yaoi fan girls. "He's the only one that made me feel like I had a heart," I mean... come on Square/Disney.

A little forceful with our opinions, are we? Calm down man. Someone isn't simply a degenerate because they don't agree with your opinion. It's popular because people enjoy it; it may just not be your thing.

Anyway, back on topic. I know you said not to post if you like it, but I have a few things to say to your points.

1 - You are very wrong. Kingdom Hearts was made as a collab project between Disney and Square. It had nothing to do with 'pleasing fangirls/boys', because very little in the gaming industry ever does. I myself thought it was a fantastic idea, because Disney, while a greedy corporate hog, can still make a damn good thing every once in a while. The Princess and the Frog is a testament to that.

2 - You never really stated why you disliked Lion King; you only say you hate it because it was popular. Besides, you really can't compare a cartoon movie to a video game. They're two completely different artistic mediums.

3 - I don't really see your reasoning with all this yaoi stuff. Sora obviously has a thing for Kairi, and last time I checked, Kairi is a chick. The only place you'll find yaoi in is the fanfics and fanart of the series, and to be honest, Sonic has the same problem. Don't hate the product, hate the general fanbase.

4 - Who cares what two companies put out a product? As long as the general idea is to make money, the will at least work hard on it. I do believe Square puts a very fair amount of effort into their games, and if effort is put into a game, that usually makes it appeal to someone.

And then there are the unnumbered things you said.

Garbage like Kingdom Hearts are the reason why the industry attracted a ton of corporate media giants (i.e. Disney) to the mix. It has been hard to extinguish video games from other entertainment because of that, and video games are different from movies and shows because of the fact that they’re still a recent technology and not as old or experienced.
  • Thumbs Up 6

If there is one franchise that I hate, it’s Kingdom Hearts. Ugh. That thing is over-appreciated and that the Kingdom Hearts fans and their favorite game's popularity are why people favor yaoi over straight couples (or they favor crossover crack over canon, which is wrong!), and that caused a ton of problems on the Internet. It looked like a game adaption of a horribly written crossover fanfiction turned canon. It also showed a bad side to the video game industry that I wish I could do without.

Edited by Akito

I gotta say, while I understand why people would hate the Kingdom hearts series, I really can't bring myself to understand your points.

The whole Disney crossover thing. Video games and classic cartoons are two different things that come from two different eras and seeing them together makes my head want to explode. Kingdom Hearts was only made to please hardcore Disney geeks who are tired of originals like Mario or Sonic taking the video game crown (But Mario, Sonic and such originated as video game characters, people! Mickey and other Disney characters did not!). Basically, Disney is a greedy corporate hog, and Kingdom Hearts is another excuse for Disney marketing just to advertise their characters and make them more popular, which they always do when making merchandise (I would not be surprised if they made Winnie the Pooh toilet paper, which I doubt would sell the same way as Kingdom Hearts).
Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

God forbid a big company tries to stay that big. How downright inconsiderate of them.

(To answer the topic question, I don't like Kingdom Hearts, but I don't hate it either. I've never played it, therefore I nothing it).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Kingdom Hearts died for me around about the second game, when the story started to become confusing as hell and the yaoi spiraled out of control. I will say, however, that the first game was a mostly fun RPG.

Besides, I only saw screenshots of Chain of Memories and I thought it was just a cut-down port of KH1 for the Game boy. So when I picked up KH2, I was confused as hell. "Who's Roxas? Who's this Axel guy? Who are those dudes in black cloaks? Why is Christopher Lee in this game? Where's Sora? Why are Sora, Donald and Goofy in some giant flower thingy? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!?!?!"

Then I just said fuck it, and returned the game in for Smackdown vs Raw 2006, a much funner game.

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't get into this series. I've never been a massive fan of Final Fantasy, they're hit or miss for me, mostly miss. I've never been too into Disney either. Yeah I saw those movies when I was a kid, but it wasn't my main fix. Aladdin and the Lion King, stuff like that was cool, so were their games back in the day. But not mixed with anime characters.

I only played the first game, I got that new because of the hype. It was too hack and slash for me, like a Zelda game with a bad map and no puzzles. The novelty of dalmatians in boxes or whatever was never there for me. It was pretty easy too. I remember nodding off while playing and somehow being able to win fights. Should I give it another shot?

Edited by Dabnikz

Disney is a greedy corporate hog, and Kingdom Hearts is another excuse for Disney marketing just to advertise their characters and make them more popular, which they always do when making merchandise (I would not be surprised if they made Winnie the Pooh toilet paper, which I doubt would sell the same way as Kingdom Hearts).
Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

I can't get into this series. I've never been a massive fan of Final Fantasy, they're hit or miss for me, mostly miss. I've never been too into Disney either. Yeah I saw those movies when I was a kid, but it wasn't my main fix. Aladdin and the Lion King, stuff like that was cool, so were their games back in the day. But not mixed with anime characters.

I only played the first game, I got that new because of the hype. It was too hack and slash for me, like a Zelda game with a bad map and no puzzles. The novelty of dalmatians in boxes or whatever was never there for me. It was pretty easy too. I remember nodding off while playing and somehow being able to win fights. Should I give it another shot?

• Thumbs Up 1

I really enjoyed the first game, LOVED Chain of Memories, and absolutely ADORED 2. 358/2 Days is kinda where the series died on me. It was very annoying to play. Birth By Sleep was pretty awesome though... I don't hate the series, I just don't like it as much as I used to since it's basically doing the same thing that FFVII did.

Sigh.

I really like the original Kingdom Hearts, and it's one of my most beloved games I own on the PS2.

I honestly don't feel like going into it right now, but Kingdom Hearts II is literally one of the worst games I have ever bought and played. I fucking regret shelling out that $20 for this piece of shit. I found the GBA and DS games to be equally dreary and colossal wastes of time, thank god I didn't buy them. And my biggest gripe with the series as a whole is how it has become less about the Disney worlds and more about Nomura's stupid little story with Disney characters making cameos.

At this point, I don't care about Kingdom Hearts. I love the first game, and it's all that really matters to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh.

I really like the original Kingdom Hearts, and it's one of my most beloved games I own on the PS2.

I honestly don't feel like going into it right now, but Kingdom Hearts II is literally one of the worst games I have ever bought and played. I fucking regret shelling out that $20 for this piece of shit. I found the GBA and DS games to be equally dreary and colossal wastes of time, thank god I didn't buy them. And my biggest gripe with the series as a whole is how it has become less about the Disney worlds and more about Nomura's stupid little story with Disney characters making cameos.

At this point, I don't care about Kingdom Hearts. I love the first game, and it's all that really matters to me.

In this thread, people state my thoughts for me!

Somewhere on the Internet a topic of the same vein about the Sonic Franchise is being discussed.

I have never played Kingdom Hearts and don't intend to, but meh, the games will continue to be made as long as theres any kind of positive profit to be made off of the franchise.

Well, it is good to see that I am not the only one in the world who hates the pathetic Kingdom Hearts series. But I do not deserve to be cussed at or talked down to, people. Geez.

Well, it is good to see that I am not the only one in the world who hates the pathetic Kingdom Hearts series. But I do not deserve to be cussed at or talked down to, people. Geez.

The reason this is happening to you is because you are stating your opinions as fact. Go ask any of the dudes that run TSS and they will tell you that I used to do that all the time, and now that I learned from my mistake I'm not in any trouble.

That's because you have an incredibly hostile tone that few people here would take kindly to. Also... your reasons for hating the series are so incredibly easy to shoot down. Did you even play the games? I mean, is hype an honest to god reason to hate something?

• Thumbs Up 1

That's because you have an incredibly hostile tone that few people here would take kindly to. Also... your reasons for hating the series are so incredibly easy to shoot down. Did you even play the games? I mean, is hype an honest to god reason to hate something?

No, and I don't care. I have seen many videos of the game on YouTube and that's enough for me. Besides, it deserves to be hated, of all of the messes surrounding it that rabid fans support.

Edited by Vulpine

While I'm not adverse to developing a partial opinion on something based on watching a playthrough (as I had for Sonic 4, which looks boring to me and not something I would check out), your unleaded animosity toward the series is astounding.

Welp, that's all I needed to know.

Well, I played Kingdom Hearts 2 without playing any of the other games in the series.

Man....that was one loooong acid trip.

No, and I don't care. I have seen many videos of the game on YouTube and that's enough for me. Besides, it deserves to be hated, of all of the messes surrounding it that rabid fans support.

That’s messed up on so many levels man. You can’t really fully comment on a game on looks alone, you have to play it. For the level of distain you’re piling on, you would first have to sit through a few hours, and if still don’t like it, no one will judge you for it. But to come here and rant about a game that you have no intention of touching makes you look like the bad guy.

Secondly, railroading a franchise through the blender because of its fanbase is both petty and foolish. I doubt any franchise has an oasis of perfect supporters, so it certainly isn’t fair to dock a game points for the actions of an unaffiliated group of people. The Sonic fanbase isn’t perfect, but dang it’s not hindering my ability to enjoy the game. Sonic doesn’t deserve to be hated because his fanbase thinks green eyes is the catalyst of a bad game. No franchise does.

• Thumbs Up 3