Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

OFFICIAL SSMB MINECRAFT SERVER!

MCServerSig.png

MCServerSigmini.png

PM DJ FLiGHTS to be whitelisted for access to the server

------------------------------------------------

So I played the free classic version of Minecraft when I heard all the buzz on the internet. Couldn't bear it; I was extremely bored. And then weeks later, just a few days ago, two of my friends bought it and wouldn't fucking shut up about how addicting it is. I thought, "well you know what, maybe the new version is more fun." I'll try it.

And I haven't stopped playing since.

Minecraft is a sandbox game that's best described as playing with virtual LEGOs. Except not. The entire world is made of blocks, and as the name implies, you mine for these blocks. Then you can build just about anything your imagination lets you. I've seen houses in the sky, private islands, and that doesn't even begin the possibilities. Taking my world as an example, I'm building a wall around my house, have a sunroom, a basement, an attic and I'm even working on a dock. I've not really gone crazy with designing my house since I just started playing, but I can't wait to get a ton of blocks and let my imagination run free.

It's worth noting that it's not as simple as mining blocks and building because when night comes, so do plenty of monsters. Including the infamous creepers which can blow your hard work to bits. It's pretty annoying to be honest, but at the same time having enemies inspires design choices for your house, and it's cool to see how.

I've had the game for just two days now and I'm completely hooked. If you like exploring, LEGOs, building things, have a ton of creativity, or any combination of the above, chances are you'll be addicted too. And the game is only $12, plus the worlds are infinite and randomly generated, so there's an unbelievable amount of replay value. It's completely worth it.

And now I'm going to go try to deal with the five creepers standing outside my door.

Oh, hey. This is my first topic in years. How swell!

Edited by Noir
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah guys. If you haven't played this yet get a buddy that has it and spend some quality time with some creepers.

FireShotcapture011-SurvivingYourFirstDayAndNightInMinecraft-kotaku_com_5655720_surviving-your-first-day-and-night-in-minecraft.jpg

There is so much beauty in so much simplicity. And these are randomly generated maps. Surviving is hard at first, but easy when you get the hang of it. Mining gets hardcore, and building something out of everything you mine is incredibly rewarding. For anyone interested, at least watch this video:

It explains the game better than I ever could. The game gets updates and is only in Alpha at the moment. The big Halloween update promises some more difficult stuff among other things.

Also, I've never been more terrified in a game. I jump more times in here due to a creeper than I have in Dead Space.

Edited by Tiller

I've been meaning to play this since one of my favorite webcomics mentioned it, but this thread convinced me to try classic. I haven't had this much fun since I found my old Legos. I'm building an underground fortress right now. I'm definitely buying the alpha as soon as I can, this is just too cool.

Edited by Cipher

At first, I didn't really understand it. Now that I do, it's taken so much of my time the past two days, I wish I never did.

I wish this ran on either of my computers. The free version hates Linux, and it won't run well on my shitty vista computer due to the levels being so large.

I got it rigged to my college's Ubuntu computers. You just have to execute it through the terminal window since it's a jar file.

I got it rigged to my college's Ubuntu computers. You just have to execute it through the terminal window since it's a jar file.

Honestly if you want to try it, find a torrent and buy it later; the classic version is a lot less fun.

Also a chicken was following me around.

I killed it.

I felt bad. So now I shall construct a memorial in his honor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, this game has more versions than Pokemon. What does the premium version do that the free alpha version can't?

Edited by SuperStingray

There's classic, the free browser-based one. Indev, Infdev, and Alpha are basically the evolutions of the final game and the former two don't matter much now. The Alpha isn't free though. Haven't heard of premium.

Minecraft is one hell of a pretty game. I'm going to keep posting stuff like this because it needs to be seen.

The Alpha contains survival mode, which is currently the thing to do in minecraft. It's where you mine everything you can build with and there is a very real possibility of death and loss of progress. Free build, basically part of the free version, is just building with set blocks.

Also, minecraft is gonna get a Halloween update with some great stuff.

tumblr_l9s1a28Sq81qzd3eyo1_500.png

tumblr_la37loKz0B1qzd3eyo1_500.png

Its gonna get like Oblivion's with crazy ass demon realms and more crazy enemies.

Fuck me. Well, at least finding light sources won't be a problem anymore, just filter some lava into your house and you're good. Or even better, get a bucket and a shit ton of glass so you can put lava in the walls.

I was also against the idea of temporary torches at first, but at least this way the Flint & Steel has a practical use now.

EDIT: While I'm thinking of it, is there a specific server any of you guys go to? I haven't had a chance to play online since before most of the major bugfixing (read: before furnaces were even functional online), and it'd be nice to get some SSMBers together sometime.

Edited by Blacklightning

Yeah, a SSMB server would be pretty cool.

I bought the alpha today and holy crap it's addicting. I got lucky too and found a massive vein of useful materials right behind my starting point which I quickly dug out and turned into a mine. After a few nights of working and a few days of beating spiders off the surface of my mine I've mined enough material to build a small topside fortress to link to my mine-basement. I've completed the first floor and parts of the second and third floors. It's pretty nice having a good mine site directly below my shelter. I went exploring today and saw a magma flow coming from a mountain across the sea from my fortress. If I hop a few islands and build some channels I think I'll be able to divert a channel of magma to one side of my fortress which will be a massive boost to my defenses. Plus it's gonna look pretty darn cool.

Also, for those of you that like Kingdom Hearts, here's a Xemnas retexture for your character:

charxw.png

xemnasminecraftskin.png

Edited by Cipher

I torrented it because I have no shame.

Oh my god I love it.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure it out. Why did I love this game so much? The tasks are tedious, the day time is so short I can't get anything done, and the monsters are far too powerful and appear way too much (narrow corridor I'm mining out? Creepers spawning behind me, leaving me no exit? Naah.)

Then I realized that's the whole point.

The game is about survival. You're on an island with nobody else around, it's a randomly generated map, you start with nothing and work with the land and the time of day to create and build. Once I figured that out, it all made sense that to get anywhere at all, I would have to look for things.

This worked out well until I dug down so deep I hit lava, Gold, Red Dust, and Obsidian before I found any Iron.

And then I got sore iron and it's working out lovely past the few times I've flooded my cave systems in lava and lost all my stuff.

I actually ended up building my little hill house over a HUGE vein of coal. As in, really seriously deep down. I kept loosing so many stone picks digging through it (DON'T EVER USE IRON. Stone is so much easier to make and can break and not be a huge deal. You should have iron but only for mining special minerals.) I've got a nice little mine system going down as far as possible that I've still yet to completely hollow out.

I have a furnace room down in my mine, with plenty of lava near by so once I get some buckets I can start using that to power them. Also workbenches and chests scattered in certain locations, so one is always near by and I can store my things so I don't lose a whole inventory full of shit.

Also a chicken was following me around.

I killed it.

I felt bad. So now I shall construct a memorial in his honor.

You'll need the feathers to create arrows, actually. You should kill the animals if you need too. Cows give you leather for armor, Pigs give you pork which you can grill to make food, chickens drop feathers, sheep drop wool, stuff like that.

No kidding Sherlock :P But it just... looked like it wanted a friend... ;_;

Also an SSMB server would be really awesome.

Tried it...I can't say a whole speech of how I feel so I will make something dramatic...This is very...God...Very...Addictive :D

Not bad at all, I started to build a castle out of this whole baby, I almost feel like im playing with legos. Its simplistic 16-bit style 3D with only blocks (Well thats what I think, there are flowers, but maybe more?) gives more then enough ideas for me somewhat.

But it just... looked like it wanted a friend... ;_;

Then kill it twice as hard.

This is survival, we don't have room for friendshits! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME SOLDIER.

also when the hell do spiders spawn? I've seen like two this entire time and I really want a bow.

I've learned that small islands are the survivor's friend. You have room to build a basic shelter and light the whole thing up so mobs can't spawn, keeping you completely safe. Mine down below sea level for basic materials and keep a boat on hand for trips to other islands or the mainland for more materials and to explore. I've played one of my worlds like this and in 50+ game days I've only had a single spider spawn on my island.

I've found a cool cove not to far south of my initial spawn point that I'm considering building into a new place to stay. It looks to be material rich and the cliffs surrounding it make it a defensible position (plus the way they hang over the cove at their peaks looks awesome from a distance).

Enemy mobs spawn at night, but not in light. Spiders and Creepers also can live while the sun is up.

Edited by Galaxy Man

I have only seen a few though. You sure there aren't specific places where they spawn?

Nope. It's totally random. Although I personally think they specifically spawn wherever I don't want them to. Fuckers.