Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

By checking the logs, I can tell some have unable to log into the server. The reason the connection is failing is because the server wrapper has not been updated to match the latest version of Minecraft. Hopefully soon it will be after the official, but in the meantime, if you really want to log in, please instead use an older version of Minecraft to do so. Thank you for your patience. :]

Huh, 1.8 was working fine when i first downloaded it, but after changing my skin, it's horribly laggy to the point where it even crashes on me...Anyone else have this problem? If I can't fix it I'm gonna have to wait until the official release.

Is the survival server in peaceful mode? I haven't seen any monsters in who knows how long. huh.png

Still haven't downloaded 1.8 though. Saving it for the official release!

... Unless it's not out before the night is out. Then I'm downloading it.

It's totally not because I can't find my Minecraft.jar file...

I can't figure out how to install it. It seems to conflict with the server I never finished setting up. What should I do?

Do you know where to put it Phanto? Also, might be some conflictions if you're not using the right server if it's not updated for it either.

I keep aaaall my minecraft stuff in documents, but yet, when I save it over my minecraft.jar file, It does not change to 1.8! D:

EDIT: Also, my laptop doesn't have any server stuff, unlike my desktop. Is this a problem?

Edited by Phantomime

Okay...

EDIT: Got it installed. But what about the server? Where do i put that one?

Edited by Phantomime

So yeah, I was trying to update the server software last night when I realized that the wrapper would be in-usable due to incompatibility. Then I found that the normal server wasn't letting others in. I thought, 'Hey, I'll take care of this tomorrow when I get home. Everyone's on 1.8 for the time being, anyway.' Thing is, after disabling the auto start and leaving this morning, I remembered that I wouldn't be getting home later than expected due to plans. So, I'm still out and about and will try to resolve the issue once I get home. Enjoy the official release of 1.8 for the time being. :]

I'd be interested in checking out the server, as I've been working on getting back into the overall game, but this seems to be my 1.8 experience for the time being (the system has 4GB of RAM)

I've seen the game occassionally throw an Out-Of-Memory error incorrectly, but more likely you're trying to use 32-bit Java to run the game on a 64-bit system, and it really doesn't like that.

Here's the manual download page.

Funnily enough I don't think the devs themselves are aware of this problem.

Someone on Steam suggested lowering the vision rendering away from Far and for now that seems to have fixed the problem. Couldn't tell ya if the desktop is running Java 64bit cause at the moment I've got GTA IV running on it, but yes the system is running Windows 7 64bit. As for not being aware of the problems, I've seen the OOME issue mentioned a few times on the minecraftwiki's list of known bugs regarding 1.8, so Mojang probably knows about it unless Notch doesn't look it over :P

If you don't know whether you're running 64-bit Java or not, you aren't.

And no, nub, I meant they don't know that using 32-bit Java on a 64-bit system causes weird errors. :P

Alright, a little update. New areas ARE being added to the current worlds for the server, BUT they are being done so following the 1.8 'rules', so essentially creating a 'cut' of sorts at the end of the current world and the beginning of the new. It will look very odd once you reach one of these edges, but I've seen that the influences of 1.8 ARE affecting the new chunks being generated.

Lastly, I've made it so the Creative server is in, well, Creative mode. Now, it seems while I can enable it, it will have to be on a person-to-person basis, which means I'll have to manually make someone capable of using the Creative mode abilities. It's weird, I know. I've already enabled it for some who were online earlier, and will try to pop in once and awhile to give others the power. (Or just message me to do so, and I'll try to do so as soon as possible.)

Now, once you have these powers, please use them wisely. Flying for too long and over-generating new areas WILL cause crashes and loss of work. We've done testing to prove this, and trust us that it's quite a pain. PLEASE be responsible and use flying when needed.

Hope you enjoy what SMP 1.8 has to offer!

I thought I'd point out that the Creative/Survival mode switch is on a by-person basis so that you can have regular players in Survival and mods/admins in Creative mode on the same server.

It makes sense, but I think long-term most people are going to end up using some version of Bukkit to run any server of note anyway given what I've heard about the limitations of the standard server software.

I thought I'd point out that the Creative/Survival mode switch is on a by-person basis so that you can have regular players in Survival and mods/admins in Creative mode on the same server.

It makes sense, but I think long-term most people are going to end up using some version of Bukkit to run any server of note anyway given what I've heard about the limitations of the standard server software.

I did have a server wrapper in place before the 1.8 update. As it hasn't been updated yet, we're sort of going old-school in the meantime. Actually, it will probably be back to its old self by next week. :]

It seems not too terribly many people realize that you can now take half damage with a sword equipped by holding M2. Even works against fall damage!

In other news, I can't seem to figure out how powered minecarts work. Or, at least how to push other carts with one.

This is what happens when you combine boredom and the realisation that you can get infinite amounts of any item in creative mode.

chickens1.png

Here's a shot of the carnage from above:

chickens2.png

Edited by Serperior
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guys. GUYS. This is the best use of the creative server.

20110917213941.png

20110917213943.png

20110917213948.png

My game crashed because chickens.

Serpi, this was the best use of time EVER.

Edited by Mimi
  • Thumbs Up 1