Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

Guys. GUYS. This is the best use of the creative server.

20110917213941.png

20110917213943.png

20110917213948.png

My game crashed because chickens.

Serpi, this was the best use of time EVER.

You built a FENCE, TOO?!

I came, I saw chickens, and then I leave, and you guys build a fence?!

I am hurt. ;~;

In other news, I can't seem to figure out how powered minecarts work. Or, at least how to push other carts with one.
Right click them from behind with a piece of coal. Frankly though, you shouldn't be using powered minecarts to begin with because powered tracks essentially render them completely redundant as a means of locomotion, don't cost any additional coal to use, and are a hell of a lot more versatile to boot if you know anything about redstone.

I have a slight problem. When I log in from my laptop, the server starts fine. But when I try to access the server from my desktop, it works sometimes, but sometimes it says I have a "bad login". What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

=O I think I'd like to come see your guys' epic shenanigans if I could?

(ALSO HOW ARE THERE GIANT CHICKENS?!)

I have a slight problem. When I log in from my laptop, the server starts fine. But when I try to access the server from my desktop, it works sometimes, but sometimes it says I have a "bad login". What does this mean, and how do I fix it?
Have you redownloaded the EXE since the 1.8 update? I got pretty much the same error, and I'm pretty sure it's because the old executable is incompatible with the new Minecraft. Or something.

More than likely gonna start my nomad-LP tomorrow, if I can figure out fraps.

Which, honestly, is gonna be a bitch due to all the time scheduling I'm putting on myself but HEY it'll be fun.

It looks like 1.9 i going to implement the final version of the biome code - at least for the first official November release. Snow biomes will be restored and new biomes are going to be added.

Short version: if you're starting a new world in 1.8, be careful, because the biome layout is temporary.

The new content in 1.9 is pretty mind-blowing. 1.8 and 1.9 have really rebuilt Minecraft from the ground up. I haven't had this much fun playing since the Halloween update.

Edited by Matt

1.10 is already confirmed to be on the way, so we're probably going to see rapid releases now up until the game is released. It's looking promising.

Plus all the kids whining about a beta game being unstable on the official forums is hilarious. The best bit?

"Why is it 1.10? That would be the same as 1.1. It should be 2.0."

So yesterday I finally caved *shot* in and got Minecraft for my lappytop at home. Will possibly put up updates as time permits, so maybe this weekend. But MAN does it lag.

It lags on my laptop too, but not on my better, stronger desktop. What I do for the laptop is turn down the visuals to something much more reasonable.

Edited by Phantomime

People look at the graphics and grossly underestimate how much graphical grunt it actually takes to render a Minecraft world. Remember that it has to render lots of cubes with 12 triangle polygons minimum per block, and that in a single 16x16x128 chunk of the map, the basic building block that contains data from the sky to bedrock, there are 32768 blocks and 393216 triangles being drawn per chunk. Then realise that by default Minecraft draws in a grid of the nearest 9x9 chunks, with the chunk the player is in being in the middle.

Up to 31 850 496 triangles being drawn at any given time, they ideally have to be drawn at least 60 times a second, and then lit correctly. And then people wonder why their integrated graphics cards can't cope with the game because of the "basic" graphics. Good luck trying to light that in realtime too; that's why Minecraft's lighting only changes when a new block is placed.

Voxels* are a bitch for graphics cards to cope with - it's only recently that even basic voxel designs have become practical.

*Voxel = a 3D pixel, arbitrarily represents and measures volume; for convenience a Minecraft voxel is said to represent 1m3 of space.

That said, I suspect Minecraft's performance will improve significantly closer to release because the compiler is probably still in Debug Mode for the Beta - makes the code more stable but fills it with bloat and slows it down - and once it switches to Release Mode for the final game it'll be way more buggy at first but it'll be much faster too. Hold your judgement until Nov 18th. ;)

Actually, Minecraft blocks aren't technically voxels. Minecraft blocks are rendered with polygons and use textures, for starters.

Actual voxels are a completely different method of rendering 3D images compared to polygons - individual voxels are single-colour. Actual voxels would probably run better, though the visuals wouldn't even as pretty due to the lack of proper textures. Voxelstein, for instance, probably has WAY more voxels at one time, and runs better than Minecraft. I think.

My bad getting that confused, yes. However in practice Minecraft worlds function as though they were made of voxels, so most of what I said stands. :P

Well, yes, that's true, I suppose.

Ironically, actual voxels would be capable of forming more detail than Minecraft's 'voxels' could at the same performance. Even Voxelstein, for the sake of reference, has some environmental details, even as "low res" as they are, that even the most graphically-impressive games today wouldn't be able to do (the ground is actually rough and not completely flat, for starters). And as a bonus, every voxel is destructible. Even the voxels on the ragdolls. It's rather catharic to be able to stab holes in nazi corpses. Or riddle them with actual bullet holes with a minigun.

Exploding things for no reason in Creative.

oh god why is this so addicting

Because you're blowing up as much stuff as you want, without any limits on your power (aside from certain things be explosion-proof.) I actually like going into the void in creative by either digging down through the earth (and past bedrock,) with flight on to fly through space, or do the same, but in the Nether and fly upwards digging through Netherack.

In the Nether, beds explode with more force than TNT. You can use it for mining, you just have to get away from it really frickin' fast.

This is amazing. Tell me, can you have more than one bed on a map?

In the Nether, beds explode with more force than TNT. You can use it for mining, you just have to get away from it really frickin' fast.

This is amazing. Tell me, can you have more than one bed on a map?

Of course!

I love using the TNT too. In the SSMB creative server I made a pretty large pit.

• 2 weeks later...

The survival server is officially unplayable in my general area right now. I died somewhere and dropped an absolute fuckton of XP orbs, which lag the game to an unbearable <1FPS crawl whenever I'm in the general area. I can't just look for them and pick them back up because I don't actually know where I died - I logged in and switched to a different window to do some internet stuffs, only to find when I switched back that the game had spawned me in the fucking ocean somewhere rather than where I had last logged off. I tried moving large distances away to force my items to de-spawn too, but it doesn't seem to be working at all. Silva, if there's something you can do about this on your end, I would really fuckin' appreciate it because this is absolute hell to try and sort out.

Also, it appears the creative server is still in survival mode. For some reason.

There should be a mod to disable XP orb drops completely. Seeing as they do nothing until 1.9 anyway this seems to be the most sensible solution by far.

This is one.

This is another variant that makes more sense in 1.9 and on PvP servers as it caps the number of XP orbs dropped rather than remove them completely.

Alright, I think I've got it fixed now. Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. Let me know if it's all cool now. :]

For me, the survival server is still lagging to hell and back, and the chunks aren't loading properly.

Edited by Phantomime