Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

You might have noticed some kind of half-built sand structure appearing out of nowhere in the middle of the lake. It's my sandcastle.

Edited by Bonfire Gerkuman

So the full version of Minecraft is officially out today, so reviews are coming in.

EuroGamer: 10/10

Is it up for download yet, Minecraft wont let me upgrade from 1.8

ETA 10pm GMT for the release version. It's being released during Notch's keynote at Minecon.

They're releasing the full version of Minecraft before the modding API? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fairly disappointed by that. Besides that, I can't really say it matters to me any more than any of the other Beta updates did.

EDIT: Whoops. Just downloaded the update and now I'm incompatible with the SSMB servers. Guess I should have seen that coming.

Edited by The Cheese

Will see if the server wrapper can be updated soon. In the meantime, get used to single player mode and all it has to offer if you've updated. If you want to still hit the servers before then, just switch to an older version if you want.

A quick question on some bug that keeps popping up.

I've recently downloaded a map, but whenever I try to open it, It says "Switching Level" and it kicks me off the program. I've tried looking up a solution on Google, and I can't find a damn thing. Anyone know if this is fixable or not?

EDIT: Nevermind... Turns out the map I downloaded is apparently outdated.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been back on the SSMB server for the first time in weeks and uh... it's snowing. Everywhere. Literally, there hasn't been a single place above-ground I've found so far that isn't fucking snow and ice. I'm just going to assume this is Notch's doing and that he's turned the entirety of every map into christmassy snow, but I haven't honestly checked more than this one to see for sure yet. It's a bit of a pain considering my house is, y'know, underwater, but I can't really be mad at Notch for all the snow he's given us.

I'm in the process of building a giant snowman with leftover snowballs on the survival server that'll probably end up looking somewhat derpy later on, but what we really need is a motherfucking christmas tree of some sort. I've got 18 or so lightstone blocks that I could spare for the star on top if needed, and something like 48 lapis blocks to use as decorations, but I really wouldn't wanna go through with it unless I felt like others could contribute to it.

Biomes are in different places on the 1.9/1.0 and 1.8.1 generators because the world generator code was modified to restore snow biomes and add mushroom islands; that would be the problem.

I could supply the leaves! I have so many and there is nothing to do with them but add to trees. Real me will be doing this, not other younger sister me.

Y'know, I should probably get around to starting that sometime, but I've been waiting until I got a surplus of logs to start building the base tree. I feel like I got a pretty good haul today, so sometime tomorrow I'll probably get a small spire of logs started with the branches to go with it, then hopefully Phant can add his leaves to it whenever he can spare the time.

In other news, I've been wanting to get some grass growing underground for the longest time now. It recently occured to me that a specific tool enchantment, Silk Touch, can pick up blocks wholesale, even if you normally get a different drop from breaking it (eg: cobble from smoothstone, dirt from grass, glowstone from glowstone blocks etc). So I've been dabbling in enchanting so I can get a shovel capable of picking up even one grass block without turning it into dirt.

My enchanting bench is literally surrounded on all sides by bookshelves. I started all this at level 640, due to all the uncapped XP that carried over from the pre-retail update. Most of the enchants I picked were in the 30-35 range. I am now all the way back down to level 20. I still haven't seen a Silk Touch enchantment yet. Six hundred and twenty experience levels wasted, and not one damn Silk Touch. WHAT THE FUCK, NOTCH.

On the plus side, it did reveal to me how incredible Efficiency IV on an iron shovel is. I can sprint through solid dirt and grass while digging it at the same time without having to stop. Guys, that's not a shovel, that's a motherfucking drill. And it is fucking awesome.

Edited by The Cheese
  • Thumbs Up 1

Server's back up. Sorry for the downtime that I was completely unaware of. My router reset awhile ago, and I forgot that so did my IP. From now on, please report things like that to me right away. I don't like having to hear these things second-hand. Please enjoy. :]

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the 1.1 update is out now. Among the more notable changes are enchantable bows, sheep regrowing wool by eating grass, mob eggs in creative to spawn whatever the fuck you feel like (with the only exception being the Enderdragon as far as I'm aware), and a whole listing of language selections... including Pirate Speak. Yes, I'm serious. Unfortunately this also means the SSMB server is outdated again so you won't be able to play for the moment unless you refuse the update. =(

On one thing that was bothering me before the update though. We found a skeleton dungeon hidden beneath the ice not too long ago. This is an absolute blessing because the server is running retardedly fucking low on arrows and resources for arrows (for some reason passive mobs don't respawn, which means no fucking chickens for feathers), but I've never actually attempted to make a mob trap out of one before. Any suggestions? My first idea was basically to make a crushy cieling with pistons and expose it to light with torches hidden behind blocks held by more pistons when I need to go inside and collect the loot, but if there's simpler or more efficient ways to farm them out, I'm all ears.

• 2 weeks later...

My newest project on this game is gonna be a tower. A ridiculously huge tower that will span the heavens and be filled with death traps. It took me forever to flatten the thing. Then I learned about flat worlds and I felt ridiculously angry, but at least the tower will be good. Does anyone know any good redstone tutorials?

The Minecraft Wiki is always the first place you should look if you're not sure about something. They cover just about every damn subject I can think of off the top of my head.

That reminds me, I gotta figure out how to make a proper sticky piston door sometime.

StationSquare.jpg

So Wolfy and I built this on our own server. =3 (Sorry for the lighting glitch, I'd take more but our server's down at the moment.)

EDIT: And yeah, you can go into the sewers and stuff, as well as the Net-Inc/Speed Highway building. There's a helipad ontop!

EDIT 2: Better angle:

stationsquare2.jpg

Edited by Aptiva
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer for Minecraft 1.2 released.

Something about updated zombie AI, cats, Iron Golems, the world is now twice as high, the new Jungle biome, and some other stuff.

Edited by Agent York

Minecraft server has been updated to 1.2!

Minecraft 1.2.1 Changes

• New map file format called Anvil, allowing a new height limit (256 instead of 128).
    • However, in the Nether, layers 128 to 256 are only accessible in creative mode, due to the unchanged ceiling bedrock at layer 127.
    • New Jungle biome.
    • Added Ocelots.
    • Added Cats.
    • Added Iron Golems.
    • New AI for mobs
    • Tame wolves can have puppies.
    • Villagers will have children if there is room in their village.
    • Zombie sieges will occur occasionally at night.
    • Zombies break down doors on hard difficulty.
    • New items and blocks.
    • Crafting recipe for ladder now yields 3 ladders instead of 2
    • Crafting recipe for slab now yields 6 slabs instead of 3
    • Added rare drops for mobs.
    • Added the items Fire Charge and Bottle of Enchanting.
    • Added Redstone Lamps.
    • Added 3 new blocks textures (32px-NewSandstoneGrid1.png 32px-NewSandstoneGrid2.png Grid_Circle_Stone_Brick.png), that aren't yet used in survival (Circle Stone Brick is accessible in creative).
    • Changed Dispenser and Oak Sapling textures. (32px-Dispenser.pngGrid_Sapling.png)
    • Slabs and Stairs can be placed upside-down by placing them below a block.
    • Placing blocks on Grass will replace it.
    • Lava now has a faint rumbling sound effect, and large particles that hop out of the lava produce a popping sound.
    • Very rare Desert Wells can be found in Desert biomes.
    • Third person view may now show the sides of the player's head when rotating.
    • F3 has some changes and additions:
      • lc:
      • b: Shows what biome you are in.
      • bl: Block brightness.
      • sl: Sky brightness.
      • rl: Raw brightness.
      • Due to popular demand, Seed info is now "0" in SMP to avoid people recreating the world in SSP
      • Clouds cast very faint shadows onto the terrain and when an undead or enderman mob is in the shadows, they can resist the daylight.
      • Players can now climb vines.
      • Many other minor tweaks and fixes.

Bug Fixes:
        • Doors have been updated so that double-doors work better with redstone
        • Ambience works in Multiplayer
        • Mob spawners show the correct mob in SMP (instead of a pig)

Bugs:
          • Big trees are very rare in Forest, birches, pines in Taiga, swamp trees in Swamps, giant mushrooms in Mushroom Biomes
            • 99% of the big trees are replaced by small trees, so no big trees in biomes like Mountains that could generate rare big trees
            • Snow doesn't appear on maps
            • F3 takes more resources than before, making the game unplayable on old computers
            • The biome "FrozenRiver" and "DesertHills" does not have a space like other biomes (e.g. "Ice Mountains")
            • Mushrooms are generated on bedrock layer in The Nether
            • In SMP, the cloud shadows aren't sometimes under a cloud, because clouds are different at each client, but the shadow remains same.
            • In F5 or in SMP tall grass and vines appears gray

Minecraft 1.2.2 Changes

Bug Fixes:

[*]"Uploaded Minecraft 1.2.2 because birches and pine trees were missing..."

[*]Big trees, swamp trees and giant mushrooms generation fixed.

[*]Snow appears on Maps again.

Bugs:

[*]Enchanted Tools and Armor have their labels glitched.

[*]If a player builds to the height limit, and stands on top of that structure, the game will crash with a false "saving chunks" screen.

[*]Iron Golems become passive when in water.

[*]Looking upwards towards the sky can sometimes cause the game to randomly crash without a crash log.

[*]In converted maps placing a block sometimes cause the game to crash with the "saving chunks" screen and without a crash log.

Minecraft 1.2.3 Changes

Bug Fixes:

[*]Fixed light bug at height 255.

[*]Corrected Zombies and Skeletons not burning in sunlight.

[*]Corrected birch and spruce saplings not growing at height > 127.

Bugs:

[*]No Silk Touch on Glass

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting these here too because I'm a whore.

Wolfy and I recreated the Rainbow Cruise ship from Melee.

344aanb.png

120m3y1.png

I purposefully set it at cloud level, so it looks really foggy when the clouds are passing by.

pywht.png

And can you find where the mushroom is!?

But even more awesome than this is the (3:1 pixel scale) Tin Tower from Pokémon Gold/Silver that Wolfy made last week (and I helped)! It wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for the recent increase in building height. I'll let him post the screens if he feels like it, though.

• Thumbs Up 4