Awoo.

Minecraft

Noir

We had a great Minecraft Survival session tonight on a map that yielded more than a few surprises and challenges (not the least of which was our lake of lava and dangerous pitfalls!). But we slowly (and through the liberal use of TNT, there at the end :P ) mastered our environment and discovered an intricate system of caves. If you want to check out some screenshots from tonight's session download them in a .zip here:

http://www.zshare.net/download/81949481f0ccbea5/

And check out a few previews from the pack:

java2010102423383595.png

java2010102423384336.png

java2010102423395911.png

If you missed tonight's session keep an eye on this thread because the (Un)Official SSMB Survival Server will be back soon! Barring anything unexpected I hope to have the creative server back online tomorrow, and if all runs smoothly maybe the survival server as well. I hope you all had fun!

Before I sign off for the night let me ask everyone this: Would you like copies of our multiplayer levels to explore? You could set up your own personal private server to explore creative mode's map and connect to localhost to explore survival maps.

EDIT: @Noir: I think as long as there is room for the monster to fit in a hole it will spawn there. I believe I had a skeleton spawn in a 2x2x2 cell once.

Edited by Cipher

D:

I built a skyscraper. It was made of BRICK.

I had three diamond tools (pick, sword, axe) and far too much iron and gold.

I went down into a dungeon, zombies killed me. I went back to pick up my stuff, and paused the game so it would save regardless.

Then my computer froze while it was in the middle of saving.

Now that save file is corrupted or some shit and it won't work and all of my hard work and mining and beautiful structures are all gone.

I want to tear my eyeballs out and stuff them up my nose I am so angry.

I'm rather busy tonight and don't have time to spare to keep an eye on a creative mode server so for tonight the survival mode server is coming back. As per yesterday, PM me if you need the IP and port to connect to.

I'm not going to be able to play the whole time though I may pop in now and again so remember your teleport commands so you don't get stuck in the void.

" /tp <target> <user-location> - also functions as teleport, but with a shorter, more useful command. e.g. /tp bob jim will teleport bob to jim. "

@Galaxy Man: Man that sucks. Couldn't you copy your world with MC Edit?

EDIT: For some strange reason my IP isn't staying consistently static even though it should be. I'll be sending out a new IP address to connect to momentarily.

EDIT 2: New connection details sent out. My apologies for the one hour service outage.

EDIT 3: The server is being really unstable tonight. As far as I can tell it isn't an issue on my end. So if you do connect, no promises you'll stay connected. Sorry. :(

EDIT 4: Server is down for now. Once again, apologies for the issues tonight.

Edited by Cipher

DOUBLE POSTING LIKE THE FIST OF THE NORTH STAR THE UPDATE IS FUCKING OUT GO PLAY IT BUT OH GOD HELP YOU IF YOU ATTACK THE PIGMEN ALSO MOBS MOBS EVERYWHERE.

Except Ive not played, busy now. CAN'T WAIT.

My net was down for a few days so that's why there was a lack of server, but then it came back up yesterday and the new update came out. And I just now stopped playing. So much exploration to do. Biomes are awesome. Is it just me or are there more caverns and deeper caverns? Finally got enough obsidian to build to portals to The Slip. Gonna sleep now though. I think I should since I just realized creepers don't exist so I should stop thinking about finding something to block my bedroom door with while I play...

So this leads me to this warning:

You know you've played too much Minecraft when you start subconsciously applying Minecraft's gameplay to the real world.

Also:

Minecraft arts from Deviant Art that are win.

http://ben-hurr.deviantart.com/art/Minecraft-Ghast-183544320?q=boost%3Apopular+minecraft&qo=8

http://brotherostavia.deviantart.com/art/Minecraft-181096262?q=boost%3Apopular+minecraft&qo=2

Sorry for this post being somewhat disjointed. I'm too tired to fix it now. G'night SSMB.

I just bought Minecraft!

I am no longer as dirty of a pirate (no i will not pay for music this is blashphemer)!

Now if only it would work on Linux. Damn it.

uuuh doesn't it work on linux? :x what is it doing?

I try to open with with Java, and it just loads for a second then gives me an error message.

Minecraft has crashed!      

----------------------      

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.

Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528 --------

Generated 11/1/10 10:16 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft Alpha v1.2.0_02

Java: 1.6.0_22, Sun Microsystems Inc.

VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.

LWJGL: 2.4.2

[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not init GLX

at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.initDefaultPeerInfo(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.<init>(LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.createPeerInfo(LinuxDisplay.java:684)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:854)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:198)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:560)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

--- END ERROR REPORT 58c93779 ----------

It does this same thing through the .jar file and in browser. I can't figure out what's going on.

Edited by Galaxy Man

Hmmm. try updating your graphics card drivers/java.

random: does 3D graphics work for you anywhere else in linux (desktop compositing/cube/etc.) cuz it seems like it's more a problem with you then the game... or linux.

I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)
Edited by Tiller

Minecraft Survival Server going online. I'm sending out info to all previous players with the IP to connect to. If you haven't played with us before shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with the info.

Guys, the economy is hitting me hard so I may not be able to keep my internet access. If I have any chance I'll post our creative and survival mode map files here so they aren't lost to you if it comes to having to cancel the 'net to keep food on the table.

EDIT: Server down for the night.

Edited by Cipher

Hmmm. try updating your graphics card drivers/java.

random: does 3D graphics work for you anywhere else in linux (desktop compositing/cube/etc.) cuz it seems like it's more a problem with you then the game... or linux.

I've run OpenArena pretty smoothly on this. Couple of other games with the graphics from like 64-era days too.

It runs 3D just fine, but for some reason not Minecraft. Classic doesn't even want to start up and give me that error message.

what is the info for this MineCraft Server?

PM Cipher for it.

Also, I decided just to steal my brother's computer for Minecraft. Created a new map.

THE ENTIRE THING. INFINITE DESERT.

No wood (and thusly no planks or sticks) to be found anywhere. Fuck ton of Cacti, but no fucking trees. Goddammit.

Well anyways, I ended up making a couple of skins. Yes, two of them are Big Daddies. I don't know why I did that, it was a terrible idea.

Alpha

alphaskin.png

alpha.png

Bouncer

bigdaddyskin.png

bigdaddy.png

Freeman

fweeman.png

gordonfreemanmotherfucker.png

Please don't kill me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Build a hut of cactus. Become a Mexican.

No es bueno! El cactus es muy mal, me apuñala!

También no hablo espanol.

• 3 weeks later...

I'ma give this a bump back up to the top. Been busy this month and still will be until after Thanksgiving, most likely, hence the lack of me being around to run the server. So I ask you all this now that Notch has health working in SMP: Do you want to keep playing on the current map or start a new one better suited to the fact that we can now die from all that lava on the current one?

I concur on generating a new map, so that is what I'll do when I'm able to get the server software running again. I intended to this weekend but my phone and internet is randomly going out and my phone service provider / ISP is being absolutely impossible about sending a tech out to take a look at things so that's probably not going to happen.

Well, minecraft got allot of my interesets, the more I played (Classic),seen, or heard, The more I began to consider getting the Alpha. I made a big castle (Sorta?) With a long hallway to the short tunnel like hallway that leads to a very short hallway turn, that leads a couple of steps to the stairway that only leads to 2 rooms, one that is somewhat big, and one that is a bit tiny. How great it would be having the alpha and making a giant castle with a secret cave or tunneling system that has about all kinds of material that could leave you with your lower jaw on the floor. Seriously, I am BOUND to get that alpha, cause the pain is driving me nuts >_<

Also, I'm quite sure there will probably be a Christmas add on for the game, I mean they did have a Halloween add on that was also the first ever?

So I just tested out Survival Multiplayer with the new patch and generated our new world. I'll be building a small lit shelter around the spawn point as soon as the day rolls around so nobody gets killed as soon as they join the server. Health and monsters make this a whole different experience. I managed to grab a little coal, turned around and had a creeper right in my face. I was quick enough to smack it back with my pickaxe and jump backwards so I survived with a few scratches then night fell and I had to completely close up a hole to hide in because of all the monsters I could see coming over the hill. A far cry from mining all night without worry.

Anyway, I don't have any particular things to take care of around the house tonight and I'll be home by 5 PM (central standard time) so I'll try to get the server up this evening.

As usual, I'll PM anyone that has previously requested the server IP with the new info. So shoot me a PM if you're interested in joining but don't have the IP and I'll send it to you when the server is up this evening.

Edited by Matt

I totally forgot to get the server online earlier but better late than never. Okay, I'ma get things rolling in a few minutes after I get some stuff ready and then I'll PM everyone the info.

Edit: Connection info sent. Server is up and running.

Edit 2: Server is now offline.

Edited by Matt

ffffff this isn't fair, why must college work hammer me so hard while you people tease me with these SMP servers I don't have time to join

Oh well, this is my last week, so I should be a fair bit more active come Saturday or Sunday. Incidentally, I heard damage in SMP is finally enabled, how's that working out? Any bugs or wierd differences to the offline version and such?